What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stay safe Chicago (1 Viewer)

Gawain

Footballguy
Jason Van Dyke verdict expected today.

Chicago police "are anticipating major rioting and looting on a massive scale once the verdict is released."

Hope that everyone stays safe and there aren't any major incidents.

Jason Van Dyke verdict expected today.

Chicago police "are anticipating major rioting and looting on a massive scale once the verdict is released."

Hope that everyone stays safe and there aren't any major incidents.
Just watched the local news and there is no indication that the verdict is coming today.

ETA IMO if he's found not guilty there will be violent riots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the local news and there is no indication that the verdict is coming today.
Cops are gearing up. I know that some task forces dedicated to other crimes have been pulled off active investigations to prepare for rioting.
However, you're right. The verdict could come at any time. A hung jury wouldn't surprise me either.

"The officer was late getting to the courtroom to hear a question jurors sent Gaughan, provoking the judge’s ire. Van Dyke said he was dealing with a threat made to one of his daughters. Gaughan asked him to return Friday morning with proof that the threat was credible.

Van Dyke’s lead attorney, Daniel Herbert, told the judge Friday morning that the daughter’s school had put her into the “police room," presumably to protect her after students started walking through the halls asking “which one is Jason Van Dyke’s daughter because we are going to get her."

The students also passed out photos of the daughter, Herbert said, adding that a police report had been made."

Regardless of what one thinks of the father, what the hell is wrong with people going after his daughter?

"The officer was late getting to the courtroom to hear a question jurors sent Gaughan, provoking the judge’s ire. Van Dyke said he was dealing with a threat made to one of his daughters. Gaughan asked him to return Friday morning with proof that the threat was credible.

Van Dyke’s lead attorney, Daniel Herbert, told the judge Friday morning that the daughter’s school had put her into the “police room," presumably to protect her after students started walking through the halls asking “which one is Jason Van Dyke’s daughter because we are going to get her."

The students also passed out photos of the daughter, Herbert said, adding that a police report had been made."

Regardless of what one thinks of the father, what the hell is wrong with people going after his daughter?
:goodposting: Pretty despicable IMO.

Likely means guilty, IMO.
Guy was high on PCP and had a knife. Tough for me to question the decision to shoot with just those set of facts, but haven't been following very closely. Just got told the above by a Chicago area cop.

I don't know much about this case aside from what was posted in this thread but after reading this:

Van Dyke claimed he opened fire on the 17-year-old who was holding a small knife because he feared for his life and continued to fire after McDonald was on the ground because he believed he was still a threat.
Yeah, he's guilty of at least manslaughter.

Guy was high on PCP and had a knife. Tough for me to question the decision to shoot with just those set of facts, but haven't been following very closely. Just got told the above by a Chicago area cop.
Police footage showed him walking away from the officers when he was shot.  Cops initially said that he lunged at him with the knife so cop fired.  Video showed something entirely different.  

And was walking away from VanDyke. No other cops on scene felt the need to shoot, even his partner. Oh and he was shot by 1 officer 16 times. Most, it not all, of them in the back.

I don't know much about this case aside from what was posted in this thread but after reading this:

Yeah, he's guilty of at least manslaughter.
In my 15 minutes of reading, it stated that McDonald still had a grasp of the knife after being shot. 
I'd love @Ditkaless Wonders to chime in, as I don't know what policy is on a downed suspect still holding a weapon. 
No clue why tazers and/or non-lethal means weren't used. Regardless of the verdict, McDonald didn't need to die.

In my 15 minutes of reading, it stated that McDonald still had a grasp of the knife after being shot. 
I'd love @Ditkaless Wonders to chime in, as I don't know what policy is on a downed suspect still holding a weapon. 
No clue why tazers and/or non-lethal means weren't used. Regardless of the verdict, McDonald didn't need to die.
did you watch the video?

Video of the shooting shows that Van Dyke was advancing on McDonald, while McDonald was walking away from Van Dyke when the first shot was fired. The first shot hit McDonald, who spun and fell to the ground.[25] As McDonald lay on the ground, still holding the knife, Van Dyke fired more shots into him.[26] In total, Van Dyke shot McDonald 16 times in 14–15 seconds, expending the maximum capacity of his 9mm semi-automatic firearm.[27][23] Van Dyke was on the scene for less than 30 seconds before opening fire and began shooting approximately six seconds after exiting his car.[23] The first responding officer said that he did not see the need to use force, and none of the at least eight other officers on the scene fired their weapons.[27]
I'm usually pro-police in most of these situations, but this one, not so much. 

Nonetheless, anyone that threatens the guys daughter is gigantic piece of ####.

A 14-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department 
Makes it worse, IMO.

And was walking away from VanDyke. No other cops on scene felt the need to shoot, even his partner. Oh and he was shot by 1 officer 16 times. Most, it not all, of them in the back.
Every cop who backed the initial report should be fired with cause and be charged as accessories after the fact.

Wife just texted and said all the south bound lanes are jammed, everyone is trying to get out of the city.

:blackdot:   lots of family and friends out that way... interested to see what happens

stay safe, chicago fbg'ers!

Users who are viewing this thread