What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to do in New Orleans? (1 Viewer)

NeverEnough

Footballguy
EDIT: We went!

We did a lot of eating & drinking.
-Willie Mae's fried chicken is good, but I don't get why anyone would call it the best ever. Walking through the ghetto was fun.

-Commander's Palace & Arnaud's food was delicious. Plus the atmosphere & service were awesome. I give the food, taste wise, to Arnaud's Crabcake & bread were mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I got a kick out of Commander's Palace staff running over & replacing our glasses of water every 5 minutes when some ice started to melt. I also got called "good sir" there. Woohoo!

-We also had some BBQ at Voodoo. That was just average BBQ to me.

-Bourbon Street at night is a cluster ****. Another reminder that too many people are pigs & have no respect for anyone or anything. I am glad I brought my sidearm with me. There were a couple times I thought I was going to need it. I had my hand on it in my pocket more than I wanted to.

-Had a hurricane from Pat O'Briens. Drink was good. Their service in the dining section was not. 30 minute then turned into 50 minutes then turned into even more. I was literally out the door, but my friend wanted to wait. I had the Muffaletta & Gator Bites. Both were good. The previous day I had gator bites at the N'awlins place in the French Market. Pat's gator was A LOT better. Still not sure what food to compare it to taste wise, but they were good nonetheless.

-Lots of good local art in Jackson Square. The magic price seems to be $300 for a decent size piece.

-Some guy was testing my friend for a purse snatching, it seemed, in broad daylight. Plenty ofthe guys with the where did you get your shoes? nonsense out there & the folks trying to through beads on you run rampant. Then curse you out when you decline. Even had a couple guys pedaling their music CDs & promptly take em back when you won't give em money.

-Davenport's @ The Ritz is my new favorite place. We were there almost every night.

-We also went to the Sonesta for jazz & got there just in time for the last song.

-Whomever said go to Vaughan's in the Bywater for good music without bs is clearly asleep at the wheel. Place is a crap dive bar. $20 cover as well? SMH. Apparently, we also got there while the band was on break. We were told they will be back. Yea, never came back. Also, going through the ghetto to get there was super fun.

-Of course, I had beignets from Cafe Du Monde. Not sure what the fuss is about. They are good, but nothing I have to have again.

-I also enjoyed the WWII museum. Took a stroll through the Garden District too. Some nice homes & some not so nice.

Overall, I had a great time and didn't want to come home. That's coming from someone that is not really a city person. I need to upload my pics. Didn't get many as I was busy enjoying my trip, not trying to impress strangers on IG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there have been several threads on NOLA. Off the top of my head, I would say:

Monteleone as a hotel, in the French Quarter pretty close to everything

Frenchman Street, better than Bourbon IMO

Cafe Du Monde beignets and coffee, yum!

Tipsey place for Q

Preservation Hall or Spotted Cat for jazz

So many good restaurants

Take a walking tour of one of the cemeteries (you need a tour to get into most of them)

Ride the ferry boat and up and down the river

Watch live jazz

See some of the goofy floats at Mardi Gras World

i have really gotten in to walks lately so you could maybe see if the hotel you are staying at has a treadmill and knock out a nice hour long stroll or so when i do that right away in the morning it just sort of makes me feel like the day is getting off on the right foot if you know what i mean take that to the bank brohan

If I get back there again, I have only two items on my wish list. 

1) Go to McClure's, order the EG72 and watch the confusion on the order taker's face. 

2) Rendezvous with NRJ, get really ####ing drunk, and hit Lacey with my patented garbage can prank. 

If I get back there again, I have only two items on my wish list. 

1) Go to McClure's, order the EG72 and watch the confusion on the order taker's face. 

2) Rendezvous with NRJ, get really ####ing drunk, and hit Lacey with my patented garbage can prank. 
I. AM. IN. And I don't even know what your prank involves. 

I. AM. IN. And I don't even know what your prank involves. 
:rubshandstogether:

It's one I came up with in Cub Scouts. You fill a garbage can about 2/3 full with water and add oil based paint, gasoline, dog crap, human crap, vomit, pretty much anything noxious you can think of. Then, you lean it against someone's front door, angled toward the door. Ring the bell and take off. She won't be able to see it unless she has a Ring doorbell (those things will ultimately make this prank obsolete if everyone has one.) When she opens the door, the can tips in and WHOOOOOSH. All over her, the floors... if she has carpet in the front room, that's ideal. 

It's one I came up with in Cub Scouts. You fill a garbage can about 2/3 full with water and add oil based paint, gasoline, dog crap, human crap, vomit, pretty much anything noxious you can think of. Then, you lean it against someone's front door, angled toward the door. Ring the bell and take off. She won't be able to see it unless she has a Ring doorbell (those things will ultimately make this prank obsolete if everyone has one.) When she opens the door, the can tips in and WHOOOOOSH. All over her, the floors... if she has carpet in the front room, that's ideal. 
I thought it had something to do with hugs.

I was hoping it involved racoons. :kicksrock:

I do enjoy history. I'm not a party guy. Rather go enjoy some good live music & a drink.

ragincajun said:
Definitely do the WW2 museum.  Tons of walking history tours.
Agree.

New Orleans is filled with history...it's older than the united states itself.  Buy tickets to go see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Cabildo  (New Orleans history museum) - https://louisianastatemuseum.org/museum/cabildo

Just walk around and look at the funky architecture

Mardi Gras World - where they build all of the Mardi Gras floats

https://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/arts/museums/

Check out the French quarter at night.

Almost nowhere to park, crowds, the smell of vomit and urine on the street, and homeless and passed out people laying around all over the place.

you will absolutely love it

ragincajun said:
Definitely do the WW2 museum.  Tons of walking history tours.
I never would have put WWII and New Orleans together, but now I'm intrigued for my next visit there. 

I was hoping it involved racoons. :kicksrock:
No raccoons, but it's absolutely devastating.  The poor ******* opens the door and instantly gets crushed by a river of paint and ####-water.  Your shoes, your pants, your floors - everything is ruined and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Note : this isn't something I used to do to random people as a haha prank.  It ISN'T harmless, and it's reserved for those that truly deserve it.  Lacey belongs in the elite category, IMO.

I never would have put WWII and New Orleans together, but now I'm intrigued for my next visit there. 
New Orleans is home to the LCVP, or Higgins boat, the landing craft that brought US soldiers to shore in every major amphibious assault of World War II. Andrew Jackson Higgins and the 30,000 Louisiana workers of Higgins Industries designed, built and tested 20,000 Higgins boats in southeastern Louisiana during the war. Dwight Eisenhower once claimed that Higgins was "the man who won the war for us."

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-us/frequently-asked-questions

We did a lot of eating & drinking.
-Willie Mae's fried chicken is good, but I don't get why anyone would call it the best ever. Walking through the ghetto was fun.

-Commander's Palace & Arnaud's food was delicious. Plus the atmosphere & service were awesome. I give the food, taste wise, to Arnaud's Crabcake & bread were mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I got a kick out of Commander's Palace staff running over & replacing our glasses of water every 5 minutes when some ice started to melt. I also got called "good sir" there. Woohoo!

-We also had some BBQ at Voodoo. That was just average BBQ to me.

-Bourbon Street at night is a cluster ****. Another reminder that too many people are pigs & have no respect for anyone or anything. I am glad I brought my sidearm with me. There were a couple times I thought I was going to need it. I had my hand on it in my pocket more than I wanted to.

-Had a hurricane from Pat O'Briens. Drink was good. Their service in the dining section was not. 30 minute then turned into 50 minutes then turned into even more. I was literally out the door, but my friend wanted to wait. I had the Muffaletta & Gator Bites. Both were good. The previous day I had gator bites at the N'awlins place in the French Market. Pat's gator was A LOT better. Still not sure what food to compare it to taste wise, but they were good nonetheless.

-Lots of good local art in Jackson Square. The magic price seems to be $300 for a decent size piece.

-Some guy was testing my friend for a purse snatching, it seemed, in broad daylight. Plenty ofthe guys with the where did you get your shoes? nonsense out there & the folks trying to through beads on you run rampant. Then curse you out when you decline. Even had a couple guys pedaling their music CDs & promptly take em back when you won't give em money.

-Davenport's @ The Ritz is my new favorite place. We were there almost every night.

-We also went to the Sonesta for jazz & got there just in time for the last song.

-Whomever said go to Vaughan's in the Bywater for good music without bs is clearly asleep at the wheel. Place is a crap dive bar. $20 cover as well? SMH. Apparently, we also got there while the band was on break. We were told they will be back. Yea, never came back. Also, going through the ghetto to get there was super fun.

-Of course, I had beignets from Cafe Du Monde. Not sure what the fuss is about. They are good, but nothing I have to have again.

-I also enjoyed the WWII museum. Took a stroll through the Garden District too. Some nice homes & some not so nice.

Overall, I had a great time and didn't want to come home. That's coming from someone that is not really a city person. I need to upload my pics. Didn't get many as I was busy enjoying my trip, not trying to impress strangers on IG.

You don’t say... :lol:  

Sent a message to @SaintsInDome2006, but it looks like his inbox is full.  Anyway I'll be headed down to the French Quarter for a few days (never been before) and was wondering if you guys got any pro tips for tourists out there.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent a message to @SaintsInDome2006, but it looks like his inbox is full.  Anyway I'll be headed down to the French Quarter for a few days (never been before) and were wondering if you guys got any pro tips for tourists out there.  
Watch your wallet/purse & don't start walking down alleys etc where no one else is at night.

Unless you like drunk aholes with no regard for anyone else, stay away from Bourbon at night.

Lots of cool art galleries to visit. The food is good, but overrated IMO minus Commander's Palace & Arnaud's.

Definitely enjoy Davenport Lounge in The Ritz for Jazz at night. That was my favorite part of my stay.

You spent your trip on bourbon and Jackson square eating at Pat O’s and Cafe Du Monde...

The food of the city isn’t overrated, you just chose mostly crappy tourist traps. HTH 
Yes, that is all I ate for a week. Come on, slick...

Also, I am allowed my opinion on a food just like you. Wowzas...

Users who are viewing this thread