What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (1 Viewer)

I appreciate the link.  :thumbup:

As per the conversation with @IvanKaramazov above, this doesn't really appear to be an issue.  Why can't they go down?  Why does the new floor have to be 94 boxes?  Don't they have a mailbox at the end of their driveway?

Why do "things' always have to go up and can NEVER go down?  How did people survive 10, 20, 30, 40, 50+ years ago?
I’m guessing that there is some percentage of mail in voters that have not decided on who they are voting for until close election day and they aren’t confident that if they mail in the ballot, that it will get to where it needs to get to in time.

I’m also guessing that most people have had things “lost” in the mail before, my guess is people don’t want to take a chance with their vote being one of them.

We all saw the postal service fiasco last year.

Obviously, for some unfathomable reason "you" are unable to acquire a valid ID so you must be un-American and thusly cannot vote. Get it?
It seems you took something I never said and/or implied, attributed it to me and then argued against that.

If only there was a term to describe that disingenuous behavior.  🤔

If you can't be honest, then don't post anything.  :shrug:

I’m guessing that there is some percentage of mail in voters that have not decided on who they are voting for until close election day and they aren’t confident that if they mail in the ballot, that it will get to where it needs to get to in time.

I’m also guessing that most people have had things “lost” in the mail before, my guess is people don’t want to take a chance with their vote being one of them.

We all saw the postal service fiasco last year.
I can't tell if this is a serious statement of what people perceive to be the problem, or if it's meant to be making fun of the people who have a problem with this bill.

I don’t understand the opposition to drop boxes. In States where they are widely available they are extremely popular. My wife and I use them.  

It’s insane to me that we’re arguing over limiting options for voters to participate in our democracy.  
As long as you prove who you are when signing up for the absentee ballot, I agree.  I use the drop box in Michigan.  Somewhere you have to prove you are a legal voter though.

Really have no problem with drop boxes at the public library or at the post office or wherever it’s agreed upon.

I don’t understand the opposition to drop boxes. In States where they are widely available they are extremely popular. My wife and I use them.  

It’s insane to me that we’re arguing over limiting options for voters to participate in our democracy.  
What do you and your wife gain from using a public drop box as opposed to your own private drop box?

It's pretty much the same story since this country was founded :shrug:

I honestly don't understand what the problem would be if the dropped down to zero boxes.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious -- it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last -- but so what if they reduce the number of drop boxes?  Everybody already has their own private drop box at the end of their driveway.  It's hard to get any more convenient than that.  

Edit: Seriously, if I was to say "What do you want?  Do you want a government worker to come to your individual residence and pick up your ballot personally?" people would take that as some kind of sarcastic attempt at a strawman.  But those government workers literally exist right now.  They literally do come by my individual residence six days a week to pick up stuff for me.  What do I care whether somebody installs a drop box three blocks away vs. six blocks away when I never have to set foot past my own driveway?
If drop boxes are such a waste why are they popular with voters?  

Also, drop boxes enable voters to get their ballots turned in last minute. In many areas, you can’t stick your ballot in the mail on election day and have it received in time.  

I can’t believe we’re even talking about this. 

It seems you took something I never said and/or implied, attributed it to me and then argued against that.

If only there was a term to describe that disingenuous behavior.  🤔

If you can't be honest, then don't post anything.  :shrug:
You may read into my statement any way you like but I didn't quote you specifically nor single you out in any way. Nor was I being disingenuous. 

Millions of people used dropboxes this election including me.  Your skepticism that anyone would value having dropboxes is the outlier here. I thought @Yenrubarticulated some reasons in the post that you weren’t sure was serious.  
In your opinion, were @Yenrub's arguments fairly representative of those of most others who are opposed to this bill?  (I don't have a notebook on that poster and I wasn't 100% sure which direction he was coming from).

What do you and your wife gain from using a public drop box as opposed to your own private drop box?
Extra time to deliberate and piece of mind knowing that our ballots will be counted. 

Again, whether you personally think there is value there should be outweighed by the data.  There is clearly demand for drop boxes as evidenced by their popularity with voters.  What is the motivation to limit a voting option that voters clearly value?  

In your opinion, were @Yenrub's arguments fairly representative of those of most others who are opposed to this bill?  (I don't have a notebook on that poster and I wasn't 100% sure which direction he was coming from).
I thought he was just explaining why people like dropboxes.  I think his reasons probably do reflect the feelings of lots of people that use dropboxes.  Also the 55 cents @Sea Duckmentioned could be a reason.

I don’t think either of them were attempting to do an exhaustive list of the reasons people don’t like the Georgia law.

Extra time to deliberate and piece of mind knowing that our ballots will be counted. 

Again, whether you personally think there is value there should be outweighed by the data.  There is clearly demand for drop boxes as evidenced by their popularity with voters.  What is the motivation to limit a voting option that voters clearly value?  
There is also CLEARLY a demand for voter ID (72%, in fact).  Do you support that as well across the board?

Also, drop boxes enable voters to get their ballots turned in last minute. In many areas, you can’t stick your ballot in the mail on election day and have it received in time.  

I spent most of the week ignoring this particular story because a) I don't live in or anywhere near George and b) I just kind of assumed that Republican would be up to some kind of schenanigans because they can't get past this crazy conspiracy theory involving the election being stolen.  I'm only posting about it because it's pretty much dominating every other story right now and MLB in particular has made it basically impossible for me to not pay attention to it.  So I guess you have MLB to thank for that.  Their effort at awareness-raising worked in my case.  

Now that I'm actually reading about it, I'm not seeing the big deal.  I mean, I'm not opposed to drop boxes -- I just don't see why I'm supposed to be so strongly in favor of them that it's an outrage akin to Jim Crow that they're being reduced in number.  Now that I talk to people in here, the narrative I'm getting is that there's another group of people out there who can't get past a crazy conspiracy theory involving the US Postal Service.  That feels like strawmanning, but nobody is actually raising any issues with this legislation that come within radar distance of justifying the histrionic freak-out surrounding it.

If a normal, mentally healthy person said "I like drop boxes and all else equal it would be nice if there were more of them" I would agree.  What I sincerely don't get is the argument that not having drop boxes is like Jim Crow.  That's seriously insane, in the sense that the speaker is reacting irrationally to something that has little to no impact on anything.

I have to say that it's a bit odd to see a libertarian making the Just-Trust-The-Post-Office! argument here.

I spent most of the week ignoring this particular story because a) I don't live in or anywhere near George and b) I just kind of assumed that Republican would be up to some kind of schenanigans because they can't get past this crazy conspiracy theory involving the election being stolen.  I'm only posting about it because it's pretty much dominating every other story right now and MLB in particular has made it basically impossible for me to not pay attention to it.  So I guess you have MLB to thank for that.  Their effort at awareness-raising worked in my case.  

Now that I'm actually reading about it, I'm not seeing the big deal.  I mean, I'm not opposed to drop boxes -- I just don't see why I'm supposed to be so strongly in favor of them that it's an outrage akin to Jim Crow that they're being reduced in number.  Now that I talk to people in here, the narrative I'm getting is that there's another group of people out there who can't get past a crazy conspiracy theory involving the US Postal Service.  That feels like strawmanning, but nobody is actually raising any issues with this legislation that come within radar distance of justifying the histrionic freak-out surrounding it.

If a normal, mentally healthy person said "I like drop boxes and all else equal it would be nice if there were more of them" I would agree.  What I sincerely don't get is the argument that not having drop boxes is like Jim Crow.  That's seriously insane, in the sense that the speaker is reacting irrationally to something that has little to no impact on anything.
Bingo.

What parts of the bill specifically do you consider racist and unjust?
Every part of this bill targets African-Americans: many don’t have IDs, they use drop boxes, they vote on Sundays (“Souls to the Polls”), they are forced to stand in long lines so food and water while waiting for hours on end is important. 

The Republican Party in Georgia is alarmed by the increased number of black voters and is trying to do everything they can to reduce it. That’s why the bill is racist. 

There is also CLEARLY a demand for voter ID (72%, in fact).  Do you support that as well across the board?
Only if there’s a way to do it which doesn’t discriminate against minorities and poor people (which does not exist currently.) 

Solve that problem and I’m for it. But right now you’re trying to address an issue that doesn’t exist. There is no significant voter fraud in this country. 

I have to say that it's a bit odd to see a libertarian making the Just-Trust-The-Post-Office! argument here.
Actually, just to clarify, do you think the post office is stealing your ballot?
No. I think that the Post Office is slow, inefficient, and has zero incentive to get my ballot to the elections office on time. Compare the number of "Post Office Finds Undelivered Mail" stories to the number of "Elections Officials Find Unemptied Drop Box" stories over the past 30 years. Drop boxes are far more efficient and have the added benefit of also being less expensive (for many users) and more secure.

Just wondering....how is requiring an ID to purchase a firearm any less racist than requiring an ID to vote?    :oldunsure:

Are critics saying this one part is like Jim Crow, or are using Jim Crow to describe the entire bill? 

Only if there’s a way to do it which doesn’t discriminate against minorities and poor people (which does not exist currently.) 

Solve that problem and I’m for it. But right now you’re trying to address an issue that doesn’t exist. There is no significant voter fraud in this country. 
This is why for years I’ve felt that voter ID is the issue that exposes supposed small govt conservatives as charlatans. The push to create more govt for a problem that doesn’t exist tells you all you need to know. 

Take a step back.  What are the problems that the GA bill is trying to fix?  GA’s recent elections resulted in record voting numbers, and I don’t recall any instances of actual voter fraud.  The Republican Secretary of State who oversaw the election says there was no voter fraud.  

Same thing with Ballot boxes.  :shrug:

There is no issue here.

Just wondering....how is requiring an ID to purchase a firearm any less racist than requiring an ID to vote?    :oldunsure:
I don't think that Voter ID laws are necessarily racist, so I'm not really "qualified" to answer your question.

But, if I could speculate a bit, I'd say: many of these voter laws are designed to introduce burdens and costs into an activity that would otherwise be free; therefore, the laws tend to affect the poor more than the rest of society.

However, firearm purchases already include a cost. Therefore, when you add the requirement of an ID, it does not disproportionately affect the poor because those people were less likely to buy a gun in the first place.

(Yes, I know that it's possible to get a gun for free. But the point still holds: for the vast majority of cases, if you can afford to buy a gun then you can afford to get ID.)

Are critics saying this one part is like Jim Crow, or are using Jim Crow to describe the entire bill? 
The entire bill.  And when you ask people what specific parts of the bill cause them to have that reaction, they come back with stuff about drop boxes, which doesn't make any sense.  No rational person really thinks that anybody is put out by dropping their ballot in their private mailbox as opposed to a public drop box.  That's the kind of conclusion that you have to work really hard to talk yourself into.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I think that the Post Office is slow, inefficient, and has zero incentive to get my ballot to the elections office on time. Compare the number of "Post Office Finds Undelivered Mail" stories to the number of "Elections Officials Find Unemptied Drop Box" stories over the past 30 years. Drop boxes are far more efficient and have the added benefit of also being less expensive (for many users) and more secure.
Serious question -- do you use the postal service to mail in bills and stuff like that? 

For example, I'm lazy and so I have nearly everything on autopay.  But there's some stuff that I can't autopay.  We bought our house with cash, so I have actually have to pay my property taxes intentionally now.  They're due at the end of this month.  My wife wrote a check and put it in the mail, because a) we're fat cats who bought a big fancy house with its own mailbox and stuff and b) it beats the alternative of dropping it off at the county building where I'm liable to have to rub elbows with commoners.  It literally never occurred to me to worry about whether the post office would get my property taxes in on time.

Am I am a dupe who places too much confidence in the efficiency and tender mercies of government?  Or are other people being a little paranoid?

The entire bill.  And when you ask people what specific parts of the bill cause them to have that reaction, they come back with stuff about drop boxes, which doesn't make any sense.  No rational person really thinks that anybody is put out by dropping their ballot in their private mailbox as opposed to a public drop box.  That's the kind of conclusion that you have to work really hard to talk yourself into.
No. What they come back with is that if you put every aspect of the law together, it’s all designed to reduce black voting. THATS why it’s like Jim Crow, and racist. 

Serious question -- do you use the postal service to mail in bills and stuff like that? 
Nope. I haven't had the need to buy a stamp in 2 years.

For example, I'm lazy and so I have nearly everything on autopay.  But there's some stuff that I can't autopay.  We bought our house with cash, so I have actually have to pay my property taxes intentionally now.  They're due at the end of this month.  My wife wrote a check and put it in the mail, because a) we're fat cats who bought a big fancy house with its own mailbox and stuff and b) it beats the alternative of dropping it off at the county building where I'm liable to have to rub elbows with commoners.  It literally never occurred to me to worry about whether the post office would get my property taxes in on time.
One key difference is that if your property tax check arrives late, it still counts.

Am I am a dupe who places too much confidence in the efficiency and tender mercies of government?  Or are other people being a little paranoid?
During the election, I saw memes like this one all over social media - designed to undermine public confidence in mailing in ballots and to support opposition to state rules allowing for mail-in ballots. 

During the election, I saw memes like this one all over social media - designed to undermine public confidence in mailing in ballots and to support opposition to state rules allowing for mail-in ballots. 
I remember that.  Not that one particular screen grab, but the general unease about the USPS.  At the time, I mostly tuned that out because a) people's nerves were understandably on edge last fall and it seemed bad form to make an issue out of something that nobody around here was taking seriously and b) it was obvious at the time and especially obvious now that people were right to worry about whether Trump could be counted on to honor the election.  I didn't think anybody really believed the thing about the USPS though. This thread is showing me that I was wrong, and that's kind of wild to think about.

It’s the opposite. Why limit a tool that voters clearly value? It’s already absurd that in this day and age we still see people lined up for hours to vote in urban areas. Reducing drop boxes will only make it worse.  

Why aren’t Republicans working with Democrats to find ways to make exercising the franchise easier?  

No. What they come back with is that if you put every aspect of the law together, it’s all designed to reduce black voting. THATS why it’s like Jim Crow, and racist. 
This is just hand-waving.  It's super-easy to point to specific things about Jim Crow that made that system bad.  For example, literacy tests that are littered with trick questions that are impossible to answer "correctly" if you're black.  Or making black voters and black voters only guess the number of jelly beans in jar before they can vote.  See?  It's easy to understand why stuff like that is bad.  Just describing them in plain English is more than enough -- no exaggeration necessary.

"We'll let you vote early in person, early by mail, or in person on election day, but you if you opt for mail you need to drop your ballot into a mail box in time to get it postmarked* on or before election day" isn't Jim Crow.  It's not even in the same universe as Jim Crow.  You can't see Jim Crow from there.  This not the kind of thing that healthy adults freak out over to the point of staging boycotts against their fellow citizens.  We're talking about stuff that would be boring agenda items on a run-of-the-mill city council meeting, not the civil rights issue of our lifetimes.

* ETA I don't know whether Georgia requires mail-in ballots to be postmarked by election day or received by election day.  For the record, I think it makes more sense to have a postmark standard but again this is the sort of thing that shouldn't get people worked up one way or the other.

@IvanKaramazov - imagine you wanted to reduce voting by certain populations but you didn’t want to do it in such an egregious manner that it would look like a literacy test or a poll tax.  You’re sneaky enough to know that the public and probably the Supreme Court won’t let you get away with anything that’s too overt.  What are some more subtle changes you might make that seem at least somewhat defensible in a superficial analysis?

Users who are viewing this thread