What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (2 Viewers)

What does this have to do with voter fraud? 
Sorry, put it in the wrong thread.   Not taking the deceased out of the voter rosters does lead to fraud though
There has been no significant fraud from deceased voters, not in the past 30 years at least. The simple reason for this is that it is virtually impossible for someone to successfully cast a fraudulent vote without it being caught.

And the reason we know this to be true is because Republicans have tried for the past 5 years to find evidence of dead voters -- even going so far as to create a Presidential commission to "investigate" (look for) evidence, which ultimately failed in a spectacular fashion.

The bottom line is that voter records are publicly available, and can be very easily cross-checked to verify if any dead people have successfully voted. And despite the melodramatic doomsday articles from partisan media outlets (Epoch Times?? Come on.), the end result is that Republicans have come up empty at every turn.

I disagree with her politics, but dismissing her as a "race hustler" (oof) says more about you than it does about her.
If the shoe fits? She hasn't shown any qualities in the last few years or so that show me she has the interest of the people in mind. Yet her personal financial situation has improved dramatically over that time. She took a failed governor run that left her pretty low on cash and net worth.  Started yelling racism at everything that moved and now she's a millionaire. 

If the shoe fits? She hasn't shown any qualities in the last few years or so that show me she has the interest of the people in mind. Yet her personal financial situation has improved dramatically over that time. She took a failed governor run that left her pretty low on cash and net worth.  Started yelling racism at everything that moved and now she's a millionaire. 
Do you have issues with people that attempt to grift others out of their money while disguising it as a just cause?

Stacey Abrams and NAACP lie about Voter Suppression in lawsuits

She basically cost her state $100m + dollars for perpetuating a lie. She won't care because she's just another race hustler looking out for her income source.
So I missed this in the original obfuscation by the media and our President when the Georgia law was signed.

If you don’t have a state issued ID, or you never receive anything in the mail with your name on it like a bill or a government check….for those seven people in Georgia…they can include the last four digits of their SSN?

That isn’t real, right?

🤣  oof on so many levels.

Related:  Is it 1965?

Black women are demanding OUR right to vote! We’re marching to the Senate to send a strong message.
It is insane to me how a party can completely manipulate a group of people to believe they are literally still fighting for the right to vote.  I can't imagine what is going through the minds of either of these groups.

Other than fomenting a ton of anger and feeling of being repressed in your home country, you know what's great about convincing an entire group of people that their voting rights are being taken away by requiring the last four of your SSN on an absentee ballot...

less effort they'll spend trying to figure out who to vote for and the best way to actually effectuate change.  

🤣  oof on so many levels.

Related:  Is it 1965?

It is insane to me how a party can completely manipulate a group of people to believe they are literally still fighting for the right to vote.  I can't imagine what is going through the minds of either of these groups.

Other than fomenting a ton of anger and feeling of being repressed in your home country, you know what's great about convincing an entire group of people that their voting rights are being taken away by requiring the last four of your SSN on an absentee ballot...

less effort they'll spend trying to figure out who to vote for and the best way to actually effectuate change.  
Banning drive thru voting and 24-hour voting locations seems more like trying to make voting more difficult than making voting secure. ID’s were required to do both during the last election

Banning drive thru voting and 24-hour voting locations seems more like trying to make voting more difficult than making voting secure. ID’s were required to do both during the last election
IDs were also required to be able to drive to the "DRIVE THRU" voting locations and other voting locations.

IDs were also required to be able to drive to the "DRIVE THRU" voting locations and other voting locations.
Yes, I understand that.

My point is that what purpose does banning drive thru and 24-hour voting locations serve? Other than making it harder for people to vote.

So I missed this in the original obfuscation by the media and our President when the Georgia law was signed.

If you don’t have a state issued ID, or you never receive anything in the mail with your name on it like a bill or a government check….for those seven people in Georgia…they can include the last four digits of their SSN?

That isn’t real, right?
Basically they were codifying a more liberal set of laws than they had in the past, including dropboxes.  It just wasn't the anything goes rules during the pandemic.

Yes, I understand that.

My point is that what purpose does banning drive thru and 24-hour voting locations serve? Other than making it harder for people to vote.
I think one issue is that they are trying to make it uniform across counties.  Not all counties have the resources to staff that kind of thing.  There are other issues that you can argue how egregious they are such as political ads near a polling place and what if the car in front of you has a bumper sticker, who else is in the car with you and voting influence, etc.  One can argue those things but those laws are actually in place in most states from my understanding.

I think one issue is that they are trying to make it uniform across counties.  Not all counties have the resources to staff that kind of thing.  There are other issues that you can argue how egregious they are such as political ads near a polling place and what if the car in front of you has a bumper sticker, who else is in the car with you and voting influence, etc.  One can argue those things but those laws are actually in place in most states from my understanding.
The uniformity thing is nothing more than a poor excuse.

Loving county Texas has a population of less than 100 people

Harris county Texas (where Houston is) has a population of over 4 million people

I would imagine the two counties have vastly different needs to make elections to run efficiently

Yes, I understand that.

There is a matter of staffing a 24 hour voting place. Both getting people and paying them enough to do it. The purpose is logistics. Is it worth paying $x amount of taxpayer dollar for the dozen or so people that will come in overnight vs making sure polling stations have longer hours during the day. There is more than a reasonable amount of time to go to the polls and there's an exceptional amount of time to request and mail in a ballot before the election. 

There is more opportunity to vote in this country than has ever been. Not a single eligible person in the nation has not been provided an over exuberant amount of voting opportunity should they chose to exercise it. 

There is a matter of staffing a 24 hour voting place. Both getting people and paying them enough to do it. The purpose is logistics. Is it worth paying $x amount of taxpayer dollar for the dozen or so people that will come in overnight vs making sure polling stations have longer hours during the day. There is more than a reasonable amount of time to go to the polls and there's an exceptional amount of time to request and mail in a ballot before the election. 

There is more opportunity to vote in this country than has ever been. Not a single eligible person in the nation has not been provided an over exuberant amount of voting opportunity should they chose to exercise it. 
Did they run into logistics problems in the last election?  It seemed to work fine.

Did they run into logistics problems in the last election?  It seemed to work fine.
Who knows? They could have and now they decided it's no longer needed. It's the states right to decide election rules. It's a citizens right to vote should they choose to. Just because they had it last year does not mean that is indefinitely available and taking it away does not mean "voter Suppression". 

Who knows? They could have and now they decided it's no longer needed. It's the states right to decide election rules. It's a citizens right to vote should they choose to. Just because they had it last year does not mean that is indefinitely available and taking it away does not mean "voter Suppression". 
Lets see.  The more difficult it is to vote, the better it is for one party.  You do not see a problem with the party in power making new rules that would seem to favor them? 

Did you have any issue with Gerrymandering, or did you also think that was just a redistribution of voting territories because of logistics?

Lets see.  The more difficult it is to vote, the better it is for one party.  You do not see a problem with the party in power making new rules that would seem to favor them? 

Did you have any issue with Gerrymandering, or did you also think that was just a redistribution of voting territories because of logistics?
This simplistic mindset can be applied to any and all state and local changes. Shall we all go around and cry foul every time an election board imposes their constitutional rights to make election procedures for their local county?

We don't start at a place of complete anarchy and then say anything less than that is suppression. Elections have happened for almost 250 years in this country and suddenly when we have the most access to voting ever, were being told people's right to vote is being stolen from them. This is just a complete lie that is benefiting one party. I wonder why that is?

You do not see a problem with the party in power making new rules that would seem to favor them? 

VIDEO: The "For The People Act" Is NOT A "Voting Rights" Bill Jun 23, 2021

The partisan "For The People Act" dies before it can really get anywhere. Of course, the Democrats are touting this as an awful attack on their "voting rights" bill, despite the fact no sane person would call it a "voting rights" bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwEXKIxLfE

Direct Headline: H.R. 1 Is a Non-Solution to a Non-Crisis

H.R. 1 imposes far too much on the states and on the free speech rights of groups and individuals.

by RICH LOWRY 06/09/2021 08:46 PM EDT

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/06/09/hr-1-is-a-non-solution-to-a-non-crisis-492880

I see a problem with it. I also see a problem with a massive federal takeover of the election process in America because the DNC is getting crushed down the ticket by poor white rural Christians.

It's not just spinning in one direction here.

The GOP is doing no one any real favors. But this 'All Democrats Live In Ivory White Towers' rhetoric is simply tone deaf and not in line with political reality.

I don't get it personally, but some people believe unicorns exist and don't see the truth of someone duct taping some phallic looking 2nd grade paper mache art project on a horse's forehead.

If I was a horse and saw you trying to sneak up on me with a roll of Gorilla Tape, I'd probably kick you into the next decade. Horses are naturally dominant and I'm naturally dominant, so I can actually see a logical pathway to this.

My understanding is that the logistics for running the elections is the responsibility of the county. If the county deems it necessary and can handle the logistics of it (which Harris county was able to do), Why make a statewide law banning it?

My understanding is that the logistics for running the elections is the responsibility of the county. If the county deems it necessary and can handle the logistics of it (which Harris county was able to do), Why make a statewide law banning it?
States decide election procedures and counties follow state rule. The state felt it wasn't necessary to have 1 county open 24 hours and others not. Same things happen across all 50 states. Some states allow each county to do as they see fit. Others dictate the rules specifically. This is the rule of law that we have. As long as everyone is given the right to vote, the laws on how to operate elections is for the state to vote upon. Criticism can certainly be levied and discussed at future sessions of state Congress to agree upon changes as needed. 

I have a feeling a lot of state legislatures enacted very loose measures for voting last year due to Covid and are now bringing it back a bit closer to how things were done before. They still seem to be keeping a lot of availability though. So everyone still gets the chance to vote. 

States decide election procedures and counties follow state rule. The state felt it wasn't necessary to have 1 county open 24 hours and others not. Same things happen across all 50 states. Some states allow each county to do as they see fit. Others dictate the rules specifically. This is the rule of law that we have. As long as everyone is given the right to vote, the laws on how to operate elections is for the state to vote upon. Criticism can certainly be levied and discussed at future sessions of state Congress to agree upon changes as needed. 

I have a feeling a lot of state legislatures enacted very loose measures for voting last year due to Covid and are now bringing it back a bit closer to how things were done before. They still seem to be keeping a lot of availability though. So everyone still gets the chance to vote. 
Having uniformity across all counties isn’t realistic and probably not necessary

For example, Loving county Texas has less than 100 people, I’m guessing that they have at least one polling place in the county.

Do all counties in Texas have 1 polling place per 100 people? Why not? Loving county has it.

I’m betting that Harris county doesn’t have 40 thousand polling places.(over 4 million people live there) 

Conversely 24-hour voting locations probably aren’t necessary for Loving county, since there are only 100 people living there.

Having uniformity across all counties isn’t realistic and probably not necessary

For example, Loving county Texas has less than 100 people, I’m guessing that they have at least one polling place in the county.

Do all counties in Texas have 1 polling place per 100 people? Why not? Loving county has it.

I’m betting that Harris county doesn’t have 40 thousand polling places.(over 4 million people live there) 

Conversely 24-hour voting locations probably aren’t necessary for Loving county, since there are only 100 people living there.
I don't know. I don't live in Texas. Those that do elected their current state legislature who is agreeing to a set of rules. To me personally having 24 hour voting is about the same as having 9 hour weekdays, 12 hour Saturdays and 6 hour Sundays. If you want to vote in person, you'll find the time to get there. And if for some reason you can't during those times, they have mail on ballots available to all who request it. 

Not really seeing the issue here with the 24 hour voting booth. Its their state, they made the rules. They can vote out their current representatives next chance they get if enough people think it's a big enough issue.

I don't know. I don't live in Texas. Those that do elected their current state legislature who is agreeing to a set of rules. To me personally having 24 hour voting is about the same as having 9 hour weekdays, 12 hour Saturdays and 6 hour Sundays. If you want to vote in person, you'll find the time to get there. And if for some reason you can't during those times, they have mail on ballots available to all who request it. 

Not really seeing the issue here with the 24 hour voting booth. Its their state, they made the rules. They can vote out their current representatives next chance they get if enough people think it's a big enough issue.
I agree it’s their state and they can do what they want. I’m just saying that banning drive thru voting and 24-hour voting locations seems more like trying to make voting more difficult/inconvenient than making voting secure. Also that the one size fits all model is pure bull####.

I agree it’s their state and they can do what they want. I’m just saying that banning drive thru voting and 24-hour voting locations seems more like trying to make voting more difficult/inconvenient than making voting secure. Also that the one size fits all model is pure bull####.
These are the issues - that someone, who already has a car and can get to a polling place, would have to actually walk in?  And that they be available 24 hours?

Why don't we just mandate a voting butler for all households so no one has to get out of their recliner?

Personally I can see how securing a 24 hour polling place would prove difficult. Drive thru voting also would need to have specific logistics set up to maintain with no real need for it now. People did it as a way to avoid contact last year but this year there's not as big a need. The point is, people can vote if they want to with barely an inconvenience. 

These are the issues - that someone, who already has a car and can get to a polling place, would have to actually walk in?  And that they be available 24 hours?

Why don't we just mandate a voting butler for all households so no one has to get out of their recliner?
Like their phones?  I'm in!!!!

Hopefully when we win back full control we can eliminate voting altogether and just let the President name a successor when his term is up. Sorry but the left has forced this to happen. Time to take America back for the people.
Minority rule!!!

PennStater77 said:
Hopefully when we win back full control we can eliminate voting altogether and just let the President name a successor when his term is up. Sorry but the left has forced this to happen. Time to take America back for the people.
The bolded is not logical together... clearly now the only point of these posts has to be to get a reaction...

Yenrub said:

To be fair, Harris County instituted drive through voting to maintain distance during Covid.  This was not to solve some issue they had prior.  So I'm not really sure why the state allowing it during a period of a pandemic before rolling it back is so troubling.  The below was copied directly off the website for Harris County and their Elections Supervisor, Isabel Longoria:

Purpose:

Drive Thru Voting (DTV) was created in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic as a safer, socially-distant alternative to walk-in voting for all voters. Harris County is the first jurisdiction in Texas history to create this new method of voting at scale that allows any registered voter to cast their ballot without leaving the comfort of their vehicle.

To be fair, Harris County instituted drive through voting to maintain distance during Covid.  This was not to solve some issue they had prior.  So I'm not really sure why the state allowing it during a period of a pandemic before rolling it back is so troubling. 
I don’t know the details of this particular program so my statement is more general.  But I feel like states should keep any changes that resulted in people having an easier time voting, as long as there was no evidence of increased fraud, assuming it is not prohibitively expensive to do so.  The new programs may have originally been put in place for Covid, but now we have additional reasons to want them.

I don’t know the details of this particular program so my statement is more general.  But I feel like states should keep any changes that resulted in people having an easier time voting, as long as there was no evidence of increased fraud, assuming it is not prohibitively expensive to do so.  The new programs may have originally been put in place for Covid, but now we have additional reasons to want them.

The one caveat I would have to that would be that with a lot of these programs is that there really aren't controls in place for voter integrity.  There may not be evidence that we have an issue.  However, in any situation where you don't have controls, you are never going to know if a problem is there or it isn't.  It's like having a store or warehouse and you never take inventory because you don't know of existing problems.  The inventory is taken to ensure you don't have problems.  Without it, you can't know so by default there would be no known problems unless you have a way to verify.

I haven't looked a lot at the TX law, but the GA one to me doesn't seem to be a very big ask of anyone to vote.  It's more liberal than the laws there were in the past and any election to that prior to 2020, and the one time event of having to conduct a presidential cycle election during a pandemic.

It's good to see the Republican party take voter integrity seriously.  

Whether or not it has impacted elections on either side, much more stringent standards and processes should be in place.

It's good to see the Republican party take voter integrity seriously.  

Whether or not it has impacted elections on either side, much more stringent standards and processes should be in place.
This shouldn't be a partisan issue. Both sides should want voter integrity especially when polls show it's not just Republicans that have lost faith in the election process. 

The guy is clearly partisan but he backs everything up with documentation in his videos. It's hard to disprove what he says with what he presents. 
Yeah.  On its face it appears that the lawsuits are specifically avoiding the provision in the law re social security numbers being sufficient to get an absentee ballot.  Unless there is more to it.  

Users who are viewing this thread