What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (1 Viewer)

I live in the largest city of the country. Didn’t make it to the polls until 5:15pm, peak voting hour. 3 minute queue.

Lexington, KY is 1/14th the size of NYC; lines were consistently 1-3 hours all day.
Yeah close polling places and you get lines.

I waited at the very beginning of March as we were down to one polling place on our side of Nashville due to the tornado the night before.

Kentucky has a Dem governor now. How much control does he have over these kind of awful shenanigans? 

In addition to slamming the doors in the faces of those waiting in line at closing time, it was reported that there was a massive traffic jam just getting into the parking area. This is a problem that has to be fixed or Republicans are gonna steal important parts of this election.

Kentucky has a Dem governor now. How much control does he have over these kind of awful shenanigans? 

In addition to slamming the doors in the faces of those waiting in line at closing time, it was reported that there was a massive traffic jam just getting into the parking area. This is a problem that has to be fixed or Republicans are gonna steal important parts of this election.
IIRC...in many states, governor doesn't have that much power over it.  Election Commissions run it.

Here in TN...a judge ruled they should send them to all...GOP led Legislature, State AG and Governor oppose that and appealed...Judge has rebuked them thus far for not complying.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/local/court-voting-by-mail-for-all-tennesseans/ar-BB15xDny

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/court-rules-tennessee-in-violation-of-order-requiring-absentee-ballots-for-all-eligible-voters-in-2020/

I also love the AG claiming that allowing absentee voting risks disenfranchising voters...and risks election disruption...

because, you know,  more people voting is bad.(that last part about more votes is my opinion of why they do this)

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/judge-rules-state-must-make-absentee-ballots-available-for-all-tennessee-voters/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Kentucky here.

The governor moved the Primary from May to June.  People were given an additional month to request mail in ballots.  We're going to have a record number of votes for a Primary election in Kentucky.  By the accounts I've heard, the in-person votes will represent 10% or less.  But Adam Schiff won't tell you that.

Jefferson County didn't get 1 voting area because it has the largest black population.  Every county got 1 polling population.  They used the Expo Center which often holds multiple large events at the same time.  Did Adam Schiff tell you that all counties got 1 polling place?

1 Polling center was put in place for COVID-19 protection.  Which, in any other discussion people seem to feel we need to limit exposure.  But by god Kentucky has 1 poliing center?  That's Republican voter suppression!!!  This has been the plan for a long time.  People knew it.  People were encouraged to get their mail in ballots.  But somehow, thi sis the Republican party at work lol.

A Louisville judge signed off on an injunction.  Everyone that was in line by 6:30 got to vote.  Kentucky law says you have to be in line by 6 to vote.  Attempts were made to make sure votes were allowed.  

It's hard for me to swallow a pill that we're suppressing votes in Kentucky when we'll have a record number or voices heard and we've made it easier than ever.  

Just an all around cluster F there.  And all over where the GOP appears to want fewer and fewer people to be able to vote.
The GOP is doing such a good job that we're going to have record number of voters due to mail in ballots.  The in person votes will represent 10% or less of the total votes.  But no one in this thread seems to want to discuss that.  

That's why it often feels like the left is more interested in the narrative than facts.  

Thanks @jm192, that explanation makes a lot of sense.  I agree that after what we’ve seen in places like Georgia, it’s very easy to just assume the GOP is suppressing votes for partisan reasons.  It’s good to know that doesn’t seem to be the case in Kentucky.

Hi, Kentucky here.

The governor moved the Primary from May to June.  People were given an additional month to request mail in ballots.  We're going to have a record number of votes for a Primary election in Kentucky.  By the accounts I've heard, the in-person votes will represent 10% or less.  But Adam Schiff won't tell you that.

Jefferson County didn't get 1 voting area because it has the largest black population.  Every county got 1 polling population.  They used the Expo Center which often holds multiple large events at the same time.  Did Adam Schiff tell you that all counties got 1 polling place?

1 Polling center was put in place for COVID-19 protection.  Which, in any other discussion people seem to feel we need to limit exposure.  But by god Kentucky has 1 poliing center?  That's Republican voter suppression!!!  This has been the plan for a long time.  People knew it.  People were encouraged to get their mail in ballots.  But somehow, thi sis the Republican party at work lol.

A Louisville judge signed off on an injunction.  Everyone that was in line by 6:30 got to vote.  Kentucky law says you have to be in line by 6 to vote.  Attempts were made to make sure votes were allowed.  

It's hard for me to swallow a pill that we're suppressing votes in Kentucky when we'll have a record number or voices heard and we've made it easier than ever.  
There were 170 polling locations in Kentucky for the primary while Google tells me Kentucky has 120 counties. So while your sentiment is correct (that poll locations were curtailed in huge numbers across the state), the numbers are not.

Kentucky also has a long way to go. The 6PM cutoff is the dumbest thing in the world and all of the VBM protections were only approved for the primary. Need to get all of that OK’d for the general as well. And the legislature approved a voter ID law during a pandemic.

So let’s not put Kentucky on a pedestal for voting rights. 

The GOP is doing such a good job that we're going to have record number of voters due to mail in ballots.  The in person votes will represent 10% or less of the total votes.  But no one in this thread seems to want to discuss that.  

That's why it often feels like the left is more interested in the narrative than facts.  
Thank you for the update. The mail in ballots are key. I hope the Trump administration doesn't try to block them. More votes are better.

There were 170 polling locations in Kentucky for the primary while Google tells me Kentucky has 120 counties. So while your sentiment is correct (that poll locations were curtailed in huge numbers across the state), the numbers are not.

Kentucky also has a long way to go. The 6PM cutoff is the dumbest thing in the world and all of the VBM protections were only approved for the primary. Need to get all of that OK’d for the general as well. And the legislature approved a voter ID law during a pandemic.

So let’s not put Kentucky on a pedestal for voting rights. 
Oh, sure.  I didn't come in and say "Hey, we're the best."  Everyone do it like us.

I said your narrative is incorrect.  You can dissect everything Kentucky could do better.

But you guys have said in here for months how we need to allow for mail in voting.  That Republicans are insane for thinking it would lead to fraud.  Kentucky stepped up and did it.  And people are still mad as hell.  The in person process could have been better.  But when we see a record number of votes and mail in ballots--that's not the Republican party suppressing votes.  If it is, they're absurdly bad at it.

Hi, Kentucky here.

That’s all great to hear and sounds like rational leadership.  My guess to the last part is that when the POTUS who has the worlds largest platform rails against mail-in ballots and talks of fraud and stolen elections it drowns out what happening in places like where you are.  

The only race anyone cares about is McGrath/Booker. 

For those interested, people at the polling site last night said the numbers were something like 84% Booker, 16% McGrath.  I didn't hear the numbers, but supposedly Lexington was also overwhelmingly for Booker.  

Assuming the mail in ballots follow a similar pattern, McGrath is in serious trouble.

The only race anyone cares about is McGrath/Booker. 

For those interested, people at the polling site last night said the numbers were something like 84% Booker, 16% McGrath.  I didn't hear the numbers, but supposedly Lexington was also overwhelmingly for Booker.  

Assuming the mail in ballots follow a similar pattern, McGrath is in serious trouble.
Thanks for the update.  Do you think Booker would have a chance vs McConnel?

Thanks for the update.  Do you think Booker would have a chance vs McConnel?
I don't know.  

1.  McConnell will kill him on the fundraising side.  While he's been picking up steam in the fundraising dept in the last month, he's still miles behind both McGrath and McConnell.  That being said, if he beats McGrath, there's your first piece of evidence that the fundraising aint it.  

2.  I think McGrath is obnoxious and generally hard to like.  Booker is a warm, energetic, happy smiling guy.  

3.  Booker has this huge momentous wave of support the last 2 months.  He's picked up several big endorsements.  In March, it was McGrath vs McConnell. I don't think people were taking Booker seriously.  And one day someone lit a match, and the fire just keeps growing.  If that momentum grows at the same pace into November, it'll be close. 

Is it a record number because they did well...a record number because people used the mail in...or a record number because people were pissed, some not working, some with the time to wait and vote?  

I think that part is good...cutting as many polling places they did is not a good look...it wasn't good in GA either.

And it falls inline with what the GOP has been doing in many states limiting voting...its not just a narrative...its what has been happening.

sho nuff said:
Is it a record number because they did well...a record number because people used the mail in...or a record number because people were pissed, some not working, some with the time to wait and vote?  

I think that part is good...cutting as many polling places they did is not a good look...it wasn't good in GA either.

And it falls inline with what the GOP has been doing in many states limiting voting...its not just a narrative...its what has been happening.
By all accounts a record number because of the mail in.  

Nothing is going to be perfect.  Polling places were cut with thoughts given to COVID.  I'm not telling you it was done perfectly.  But by the numbers I've heard reported--the in person vote will also be about 10% of the total vote.  

But for people on here to be harping about the dangers of in person voting come November and how great mail in voting is--Kentucky tried to minimize Corona spread.  They utilized your precious mail in voting.  And yet, they're still horrible and suppressing voters--despite record numbers of votes.  There is no right answer.

By all accounts a record number because of the mail in.  

Nothing is going to be perfect.  Polling places were cut with thoughts given to COVID.  I'm not telling you it was done perfectly.  But by the numbers I've heard reported--the in person vote will also be about 10% of the total vote.  

But for people on here to be harping about the dangers of in person voting come November and how great mail in voting is--Kentucky tried to minimize Corona spread.  They utilized your precious mail in voting.  And yet, they're still horrible and suppressing voters--despite record numbers of votes.  There is no right answer.
Thats a good thing...I hate when places cut down so many polling places...sometimes cutting down locations is actually counter to COVID considerations.  More places = more spread out vs concentrated areas and lines.

Im happy they increased mail in voting...I hope TN court systems keep fighting the GOP led effort to curtail mail in voting here.

The closing of polling by 6 pm needing court intervention was part of what I was calling a cluster F...that is inexcusable.

I think the issues with the upcoming general election will be if polling places are reduced AND mail in ballots aren't allowed, such as Texas. Many states are allowing absentee/mail in for any reason while some states are not. And obviously if the Feds step in and try to disallow expanded mail in voting.

I think the issues with the upcoming general election will be if polling places are reduced AND mail in ballots aren't allowed, such as Texas. Many states are allowing absentee/mail in for any reason while some states are not. And obviously if the Feds step in and try to disallow expanded mail in voting.
Yes...my worry in TN is that I apply for and fill out a mail in ballot...that it gets fought til election day and they decide the mail in ballots where an option for receiving one due to COVID will be scrapped.  It will be announced quietly...and many won't then get out to vote and have it counted.

Thats a good thing...I hate when places cut down so many polling places...sometimes cutting down locations is actually counter to COVID considerations.  More places = more spread out vs concentrated areas and lines.
Agreed. However, the decision to give counties with 60k population the same number of polling places and those with 600k population seems... Not reasonable if the result is 3 hour waits to to vote in overloaded polling locations. Perhaps reducing from 20 (or whatever it is) to 5 instead of 1 would have been a better idea.

I haven't paid attention to the other states.  I think Kentucky will be a great test.  I'll be interested to see the fallout, and if anyone cites integrity of the mail in portion in the event of a loss.  

Agreed. However, the decision to give counties with 60k population the same number of polling places and those with 600k population seems... Not reasonable if the result is 3 hour waits to to vote in overloaded polling locations. Perhaps reducing from 20 (or whatever it is) to 5 instead of 1 would have been a better idea.
There were not 3 hour long wait times. I don’t know what happened in Fayette County. They had 1.5 hour wait times at the start but quickly fixed the issue when they realized the influx of people they’d have. It was a short lived problem.  Jefferson County (Kentucky’s largest) had hundreds of booths set up at our expo center which is huge at 1.3 million square feet so there was plenty of space for people and booths. Moat of the wait was just trying to figure out Which line you got in based on your district and getting the correct ballot. People were only waiting a few minutes at a time. Fayette is the only county in the entire state that had wait time issues.

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread about the Kentucky primary voting. 

1. mail in ballots were an option. This wasn’t a secret either. Every registered voter got a card in the mail back in May instructing them on how to get the ballot either online or by phone. The process was very prompt. I ordered mine and had it delivered 3 days later and mailed out the next day.

2. we had early voting available. Many counties you had to make an appointment to vote early. In Jefferson County it was walk in. This began last Monday 6/15 and continued through the week til election day.

3. the city provided free public transportation to get to the location. Our local urban league were able to negotiate free Lyft rides to the expo center as well. 

4.The polls closed at 6pm. Jefferson County was allowed extended time because rush hour traffic delayed people being able to get there. Anyone in line by 6:30 were still allowed to vote.

5. a lot of people are talking about long drives to get the the location but Jefferson County is not that big. The expo center is pretty centrally located in the county and from anywhere it would take at most 30 minutes to get there from the furthest reaches. Rush hour can be a little long but it wouldn’t take anywhere near an hour even with traffic. 

Considering the circumstances I would say the state did about as much as they could to allow everyone an opportunity to vote without putting people at extra risk. 

There were not 3 hour long wait times. I don’t know what happened in Fayette County. They had 1.5 hour wait times at the start but quickly fixed the issue when they realized the influx of people they’d have. It was a short lived problem.  Jefferson County (Kentucky’s largest) had hundreds of booths set up at our expo center which is huge at 1.3 million square feet so there was plenty of space for people and booths. Moat of the wait was just trying to figure out Which line you got in based on your district and getting the correct ballot. People were only waiting a few minutes at a time. Fayette is the only county in the entire state that had wait time issues.

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread about the Kentucky primary voting. 

1. mail in ballots were an option. This wasn’t a secret either. Every registered voter got a card in the mail back in May instructing them on how to get the ballot either online or by phone. The process was very prompt. I ordered mine and had it delivered 3 days later and mailed out the next day.

2. we had early voting available. Many counties you had to make an appointment to vote early. In Jefferson County it was walk in. This began last Monday 6/15 and continued through the week til election day.

3. the city provided free public transportation to get to the location. Our local urban league were able to negotiate free Lyft rides to the expo center as well. 

4.The polls closed at 6pm. Jefferson County was allowed extended time because rush hour traffic delayed people being able to get there. Anyone in line by 6:30 were still allowed to vote.

5. a lot of people are talking about long drives to get the the location but Jefferson County is not that big. The expo center is pretty centrally located in the county and from anywhere it would take at most 30 minutes to get there from the furthest reaches. Rush hour can be a little long but it wouldn’t take anywhere near an hour even with traffic. 

Considering the circumstances I would say the state did about as much as they could to allow everyone an opportunity to vote without putting people at extra risk. 
Great post.

I wasn't sure how big the expo center is, but I know it's massive.  The 1 location is misleading as it's a MASSIVE location.  

I can see how it still leads to backups of entering.  There are multiple gates to enter the grounds in, but if people go to the same couple of gates, you could have some bottlenecking.  

sup·press

verb

forcibly put an end to.

There is no voter suppression - that's words Democrats use to stir up hate and division. 
prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain.

sometimes there’s another definition printed right after that applies to the same word.

At Dictionary.com, the word "forcibly" or "force" is not present in any of the SIX definitions of "suppress".

Stealthy must be using conservadictionary.com.

prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain.

sometimes there’s another definition printed right after that applies to the same word.

I don't know that anyone has been restrained on going to the voting booth - do you ?

At Dictionary.com, the word "forcibly" or "force" is not present in any of the SIX definitions of "suppress".

Stealthy must be using conservadictionary.com.
google is your friend

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS831US834&sxsrf=ALeKk01dmJK1solFnK7YIHztc0ppxyOVnA%3A1593440049901&ei=Mff5Xom4NpSxtAaikIjQBw&q=suppress&oq=suppres&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgkIIxAnEEYQ-QEyBQgAELEDMgUIABCxAzICCAAyAggAMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyBQgAELEDMgIIADoECCMQJ1CjXVj_ZGDGbGgAcAB4AIABzAGIAckKkgEFMC41LjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

Prevent the development, action, or expression. Yes that is happening. I understand you are trying to tout an agenda and want to cherry pick your definition.
again ... who is stopping anyone from voting ?

meet the requirements and GO VOTE - nobody is suppressing anyone

again ... who is stopping anyone from voting ?

meet the requirements and GO VOTE - nobody is suppressing anyone
I think the issue is with “meet the requirements” is that the rules are being determined by partisans who have a vested interest (their jobs) in who can easily cast a ballot. 

To me, voting should be one of the easiest things to do in our country. There should be early voting locations for weeks leading up to Election Day, ED should be a national holiday, Vote By Mail should be an option.

Nothing disgusts me more than when people are waiting (or can’t wait and have to leave) multiple hours in line at polling locations around the country.

Yes...continuing to make it harder and harder for people to vote is suppression.  Sure...they can still vote, but putting barriers up is the point and it shouldn't be happening.

I think the issue is with “meet the requirements” is that the rules are being determined by partisans who have a vested interest (their jobs) in who can easily cast a ballot. 

To me, voting should be one of the easiest things to do in our country. There should be early voting locations for weeks leading up to Election Day, ED should be a national holiday, Vote By Mail should be an option.

Nothing disgusts me more than when people are waiting (or can’t wait and have to leave) multiple hours in line at polling locations around the country.
but the flip side is that with every state and locale doing voting differently, its impossible for Russia or China to manipulate the results

requirements .... US Citizen, proof of age, etc is easy and isn't a problem with anyone who wants to vote

but the flip side is that with every state and locale doing voting differently, its impossible for Russia or China to manipulate the results

requirements .... US Citizen, proof of age, etc is easy and isn't a problem with anyone who wants to vote
Proving these things ARE easy....you can take a birth certificate, problem solved.  It gets "complicated" when voting places reject that and say ONLY a state ID suffices.  

Proving these things ARE easy....you can take a birth certificate, problem solved.  It gets "complicated" when voting places reject that and say ONLY a state ID suffices.  
each state is different .... the "voting places" ??  that's a very generic finger point

again .... bring to the booth/polling place what your state/county or whatever you are voting requires and vote - nobody is suppressing anyone from doing that

How would a birth certificate prove someone was a legal voter?
if you mean legal as in age, it would, as in citizenship, it would

geographical location it would not - which is why states/counties/cities etc have additional rules/requirements

just take what your area requires - nobody is suppressing anyone, that's a left/Democrat lie to sow hate and division :(  

each state is different .... the "voting places" ??  that's a very generic finger point

again .... bring to the booth/polling place what your state/county or whatever you are voting requires and vote - nobody is suppressing anyone from doing that
How does it work for mail-in ballots?

I want to live in this magical land SC speaks of.  Nobody suppresses anyone's vote.  No racism for 50+ years.  You can move anywhere and get any job you want at any time with a little hard work.  Sounds delightful. 

ETA : I am guessing theres no global warming there too.  

I want to live in this magical land SC speaks of.  Nobody suppresses anyone's vote.  No racism for 50+ years.  You can move anywhere and get any job you want at any time with a little hard work.  Sounds delightful. 

I think it’s just south of Springfield 

This whole suppressing people's vote argument is as bad as the systematic racism argument currently front and center.

It's a false narrative.  It doesn't exist.

On paper things like requiring a state ID are not necessarily voter suppression, but they way they are implemented is. The entire purpose is to make it so burdensome for a poor minority voter to get one that they give up. For the minority area it might be 50 miles away in the outskirts somewhere triangulated to be as far from a bus stop as possible (people too poor to own cars would disproportionately be minority), only open two Tuesdays a month for 2 hours in the middle of the work day (minorities are likely to have lower paying hourly wage jobs they cannot leave). You need to bring in 3 items, but they can always tell you they are not good enough and you need to find something else. Meanwhile, random upper middle class suburb person can just drive up to a place that is 5 miles away and get everything they need done in 30 minutes. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/getting-a-photo-id-so-you-can-vote-is-easy-unless-youre-poor-black-latino-or-elderly/2016/05/23/8d5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html

Then once they have all of that, you just limit how many voting stations there are in urban areas so you have lines that are 10 hours long (bonus if you send all the malfunctioning machines there) in minority heavy areas while someone in the suburbs can walk up and vote in 5 minutes.

No it's not.... it's the rules for each specific state. Some will ONLY take a state id when they're are many ways to determine age and residence..... why is that?  And stop trying to change the subject.... it's predictable if not annoying

Users who are viewing this thread