What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (1 Viewer)

SCOTUS with a horrific intervention tonight in Alabama overturning a lower court’s relaxation of the absentee rules.

To vote absentee you need to submit the ballot with a photocopy of your ID and either 2 witness signatures or a notary. During a pandemic, that seems a tad burdensome for let’s say a single elderly voter. Oy. 

Roberts may sometimes throw the left a procedural bone but he sure hates voting.

SCOTUS with a horrific intervention tonight in Alabama overturning a lower court’s relaxation of the absentee rules.

To vote absentee you need to submit the ballot with a photocopy of your ID and either 2 witness signatures or a notary. During a pandemic, that seems a tad burdensome for let’s say a single elderly voter. Oy. 

Roberts may sometimes throw the left a procedural bone but he sure hates voting.
Actually, I don't see how you can view this as a bad thing. This is good. There should be more restrictions around voting to be able to prove your identity.

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too."
She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook. "This was an error on my part," she said.
The ‘she’ and ‘commissioner’ above happen to be the Election commissioner from Mississippi.

She says the quiet things out loud. Clearly, she doesn’t think blacks in Mississippi are part of the people. And she clearly doesn’t have an issue with what she said, just that it got out.

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/local/2020/06/30/mississippi-election-commissioner-accused-making-racist-comments/3280055001/

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, a man not unaccustomed to allegations of plagiarism, is now being accused of copying the words of former New Democratic Party leader Jack Layton.

Joe Biden accused of plagiarizing from Jack Layton's final letter in nomination speech.
(..and it wouldn't be the first time he did it!)

At a speech at the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, Biden’s final address included the lines,
“For love is more powerful than hate. Hope is more powerful than fear. And light is more powerful than dark.”

The words were eerily similar to ones found in a letter Layton wrote before he died in 2011.
“My friends, love is better than anger, Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.”

LINK...he gave the same speech in 2008! Was it the "best speech of his life"...then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, a man not unaccustomed to allegations of plagiarism, is now being accused of copying the words of former New Democratic Party leader Jack Layton.

Joe Biden accused of plagiarizing from Jack Layton's final letter in nomination speech.

At a speech at the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, Biden’s final address included the lines,
“For love is more powerful than hate. Hope is more powerful than fear. And light is more powerful than dark.”

The words were eerily similar to ones found in a letter Layton wrote before he died in 2011.
“My friends, love is better than anger, Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.”

LINK...he gave the same speech in 2008! Was it the "best speech of his life"...then?
Ummm thats a reach...also, what does it have to do with voter suppression?

Still better than "Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV. "

Excluding "is" and "than", there are 3 common words out of 12 here.

(Even if you include "is" and "than", you only end up with 8 common words out of 19.)

That's not plagiarizing in anyone's book, even Melania's.

My friends, sincerity is better than trolling, original content is better than copypasting tweets, and Biden is better than Trump. :thumbup:

Excluding "is" and "than", there are 3 common words out of 12 here.

(Even if you include "is" and "than", you only end up with 8 common words out of 19.)

That's not plagiarizing in anyone's book, even Melania's.

My friends, sincerity is better than trolling, original content is better than copypasting tweets, and Biden is better than Trump. :thumbup:
 Eerily similar to what Yoda tells Luke as well, but you don’t hear him yelling “plagiarize me, he has!”

Twitter says President Trump’s tweet about mail drop boxes violated its rules but will stay visible

>> Twitter has labeled a tweet from President Trump in which he questioned the use of mail drop boxes for the November election. The president claimed, without citing evidence, that the boxes made it “possible for a person to vote multiple times,” and are a “voter security disaster,” that “are not Covid sanitized.”

Twitter applied a label to the Sunday morning tweet that reads “This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about civic and election integrity. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible.” A “learn more” link goes to Twitter’s rules about public-interest exceptions. <<

Burdensome? For an event as important as selecting the leader of your country?

If you adopt an animal, rent an apartment, make a withdrawal from a bank, get a utility turned on, pick up a friend's kid from school, buy a beer, etc, etc, etc, you are commonly asked to show who you say you are.  Its not unreasonable to ask for Id for such an important task. 

Burdensome? For an event as important as selecting the leader of your country?

If you adopt an animal, rent an apartment, make a withdrawal from a bank, get a utility turned on, pick up a friend's kid from school, buy a beer, etc, etc, etc, you are commonly asked to show who you say you are.  Its not unreasonable to ask for Id for such an important task. 
We vote for a lot of things, mostly local. In fact, voting for the leader of the nation is only a small fraction of what we vote for.

None of the other things you mention are guaranteed to citizens in the US constitution. Barriers to voting are diametrically opposed to that document. 

We vote for a lot of things, mostly local. In fact, voting for the leader of the nation is only a small fraction of what we vote for.

None of the other things you mention are guaranteed to citizens in the US constitution. Barriers to voting are diametrically opposed to that document. 
Voting for the leader of the country may be, in number, a small fraction of all things voted on but certainly carries a lot more weight than when i vote for, say, 10 votes on what plants to allow at the HSA pool.  It is a very important thing, not to be take likely, and the Country agrees. 36 of the states, by law, require/request a form of identification for voting.  

So, this is nothing new, at all. Most people would want to ensure the process was being carried out in accordance with the law.  

Far-Right Activists Charged Over Robocalls That Allegedly Targeted Minority Voters

Michigan's attorney general filed felony chargesThursday against two far-right activists who allegedly coordinated a series of racist robocalls that discouraged voters in Detroit and other cities from participating in the November election. 

Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl are each being charged with four felony counts, including intimidating voters and conspiracy to commit an election law violation. 

The robocalls came from a nonexistent group called the "1599 project" and falsely warned recipients that voting by mail would result in being "finessed into giving your private information to the man." 

Burkman and Wohl are known far-right conspiracy theorists who promote disinformation online and have made attempts to frame public figures such as Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Kamala Harris and Dr. Anthony Fauci for various made-up scandals. 

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said in a press release that the calls were made in August to almost 12,000 residents with phone numbers from the 313 area code that covers Detroit. An investigation found that attorneys general in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois received complaints about similar phone calls being placed to cities with large minority populations.

"Any effort to interfere with, intimidate or intentionally mislead Michigan voters will be met with swift and severe consequences," Nessel wrote in a statement. "This effort specifically targeted minority voters in an attempt to deter them from voting in the November election."

In the calls, the robocaller told recipients to "beware of vote by mail" and falsely said that doing so would feed personal information into a database accessible to the police pursuing warrants, credit card companies collecting debts and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aiming to track people for mandatory vaccines. 

All of these claims are false, and the caller provides no evidence to back them. There is no evidence of widespread fraud associated with voting by mail. 

Still, President Trump continues to sow doubts about voting by mail, without evidence. 

Democrats are concerned about voter intimidation amid Republican efforts to dispatch tens of thousands of poll watchers across the country.

Until 2018, the Republican National Committee had been under a 1980s-era consent decree after a federal judge found Republicans had stationed off-duty police officers in some minority precincts and sent targeted mailings to minority voters warning about penalties for violating election laws. 

That consent decree has now expired, allowing Republicans to organize poll watching and other "ballot-security" efforts.

Neither Burkman nor Wohl's attorney immediately responded to NPR's request for comment.

voter suppression

• telling people voting for Trump is racist
  • people fearing vandalism for putting Trump signs in their yards 
  • people afraid to wear MAGA hats because they'll get attacked
  • 24x7 CNN saying Biden is ahead, Biden is ahead, Biden is ahead
  • telling people to report anyone at a polling location that looks suspicious
all that the Democrats are doing right now - its unbelievable :(  

voter suppression

I must say your dedication to your craft is impressive. 

voter suppression

None of that is voter suppression.  Nor is that "the democrats" doing it.

Unbelievable would be that you actually believe any of that is voter suppression.

voter suppression

This is wrong, just wrong.  The current administration is changing the rules every day to try keeping the voters from getting to the polls.  Unbelievable what's happened in the past few months to limit the American people's options to vote.  Are you kidding me? 

voter suppression

You'd do yourself wonders if you'd take the time to look up the definitions of words/phrases rather than making them up to prop up the fear you seem to need everyone to be living in with you.  My :2cents:  

I must say your dedication to your craft is impressive. 

This is wrong, just wrong.  The current administration is changing the rules every day to try keeping the voters from getting to the polls.  Unbelievable what's happened in the past few months to limit the American people's options to vote.  Are you kidding me? 

You'd do yourself wonders if you'd take the time to look up the definitions of words/phrases rather than making them up to prop up the fear you seem to need everyone to be living in with you.  My :2cents:  
My Link

Let's see if DeSantis and the FL SOS extend the deadline for voter registration in Florida, after the on-line system crashed hours before the midnight deadline. 

>> Not planning for a voter registration surge is voter suppression. Not ensuring everyone who wants to register can do so is voter suppression. Not extending the deadline is voter suppression. @GovRonDeSantis  & @FLSecofState, you must extend the deadline. <<

https://twitter.com/nikkifried/status/1313309235552358406

The Florida SOS and DeDantis extended the online voter registration from midnight Monday to 7pm today, after the system crashed due to "heavy traffic." They had no choice. Similar problems plaqued the unemployment web-site back in April and May.

>>Lee says all eligible Floridians will have the ability submit a voter registration application by 7:00 p.m. tonight. She says in the last few hours, the http://RegisterToVoteFlorida.gov website was accessed by 1.1 million requests per hour.<<

https://mobile.twitter.com/samanthajgross/status/1313511537039101953

Regardless of the "rigged/fake" ballot issue. Doesn't everyone agree that we (as a country) want more people voting, not fewer? I thought that was a given. I'm surprised at how much effort goes into keeping people from voting as an actual tactic. That seems un-American, politics aside. I guess I always assumed that we all want everyone to vote. Isn't that how to best determine what the country wants as the outcome of an election, people actually voting in it?  That's probably naive. 

Regardless of the "rigged/fake" ballot issue. Doesn't everyone agree that we (as a country) want more people voting, not fewer? I thought that was a given. I'm surprised at how much effort goes into keeping people from voting as an actual tactic. That seems un-American, politics aside. I guess I always assumed that we all want everyone to vote. Isn't that how to best determine what the country wants as the outcome of an election, people actually voting in it?  That's probably naive. 
Not everyone would agree.  The majority of African Americans tend to vote Democratic.  The conservatives have done everything in their power to suppress their vote.  This year it's being done to the Latino vote as well (Texas for example).  

Not gonna lie (and I don't think I'm alone on this) but there are times where I wish less people were allowed to vote, but my line is usually along the lines of knowledge/understanding.  Generally speaking, I think the more the better.  Then there are times where I hear the take and I'm like "wow, that kind of thinking really shouldn't have a voice in our republic".

Pretty wild watching America's slow moving train as it hurdles into an epic election cluster$#%@.  Half of the country refuses to acknowledge it and buys all of the kool-aid that their party has to sell.  The other half is hysterical about it but is completely powerless to stop it.  Your country is messed up man. 

I feel so blessed to be watching this from the sidelines instead of worrying about any of it.

Pretty wild watching America's slow moving train as it hurdles into an epic election cluster$#%@.  Half of the country refuses to acknowledge it and buys all of the kool-aid that their party has to sell.  The other half is hysterical about it but is completely powerless to stop it.  Your country is messed up man. 

I feel so blessed to be watching this from the sidelines instead of worrying about any of it.
It's unfathomable.  It's unconscionable.  And it's flat out unAmerican.  

What is happening in Harris County Texas is criminal.  

Not sure where else to put this, but Mike Lee tweeted:

Democracy isn’t the objective; liberty, peace, and prospefity are.  We want the human condition to flourish.  Rank democracy can thwart that.
This certainly seems to fit the GOP’s actions when it comes to trying to reduce voter turnout in addition to everything else the Trump Party has done to undermine our democratic institutions. 

I'm encouraged that there is so much early voter turnout, but the fact that the rest of the country can't vote by mail is ridiculous.  It's the most convenient way to vote and Oregonians have been doing it successfully for decades.  

I'm not convinced that long lines on the first day of early voting necessarily = "voter suppression."  If there's still a 5+ hour wait a week from now, that may be worthwhile to consider.

I'm not convinced that long lines on the first day of early voting necessarily = "voter suppression."  If there's still a 5+ hour wait a week from now, that may be worthwhile to consider.
don't think it necessarily does either, just decided to put it here.  in some cases it does.

Gallup has a net +53 on whether voters are more enthusiastic or less enthusiastic than usual to vote, which I believe is the largest spread ever recorded on that question. This is a pretty reliable predictor of turnout. 

Per Nate Silver.

Huh....

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A poll worker in Memphis, Tennessee, has been fired after turning away early voters who were wearing “Black Lives Matter” and “I Can't Breathe” shirts, an elections official said Monday.

The worker was fired Friday after officials received a call from a witness at the Dave Wells Community Center in Memphis, Shelby County Election Commission spokeswoman Suzanne Thompson said.

Tennessee law does not allow voters to wear items bearing the name of a candidate or a political party in a polling place. But state law does not prohibit statements such as “Black Lives Matter,” Thompson said.

The number of voters who were told to leave was not immediately known, but Thompson said it was only a few. The poll worker thought the statements were tied to the Democratic Party, Thompson said.

“That was pretty bad,” she said. “They were not supposed to be turned away.”

Early voter turnout ahead of the Nov. 3 election has been strong in Memphis and throughout Tennessee. Early voting ends Oct. 29 in the state.
:mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread