What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dropping bench players from TNF game on Friday? (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
As the commissioner in a 12 team Yahoo league I noticed both Clement and Smallwood were dropped on Friday afternoon. Both players were on respective benches. I thought if the game was played then those players were locked? Evidently not in Yahoo? I put the question to the Yahoo forum and haven't heard back yet. 

For a fantasy football site it sure seems a lot of people are against any kind of strategy. Whats the big deal? Someone grabbed a player to prevent someone else from getting them and cut them to make other moves in strategy? The outlandish gall of players trying to win using the rules allowed and the strategy around them.

For a fantasy football site it sure seems a lot of people are against any kind of strategy. Whats the big deal? Someone grabbed a player to prevent someone else from getting them and cut them to make other moves in strategy? The outlandish gall of players trying to win using the rules allowed and the strategy around them.
Have comments been deleted?   From what I can see you dramatized what has been said.   It was a pretty simple basic question.

I'm not in any Yahoo leagues but I have had friends tell me that this is absolutely allowed and is used by owners frequently.
I understand playing defensively - keeping players away from others is a strategy - but to do on TNF and then drop them the next day? 

As the commissioner in a 12 team Yahoo league I noticed both Clement and Smallwood were dropped on Friday afternoon. Both players were on respective benches. I thought if the game was played then those players were locked? Evidently not in Yahoo? I put the question to the Yahoo forum and haven't heard back yet. 
Yahoo does allow it for some reason. You can add players that played on Thursday also up until 1 pm Sunday 

The only way around it that I know of is to make a league rule that it's not allowed if thats what you want 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo is the only host I know of that this is the default.

you can set it in sportsline or RTSports, but I don’t know why anyone would. 

The question I have is why anyone would drop Clements. 

Yahoo does allow it for some reason. You can add players that played on Thursday also up until 1 pm Sunday 

The only way around it that I know of is to make a league rule that it's not allowed if thats what you want 
Or have the commish set waivers game time to Wednesday like in our leagues

how is this any different than having your kicker on bye, so you wait until after SNF to see if you even need a kicker, dropping a guy who played Sunday for a kicker Monday?

Yahoo is the only host I know of that this is the default.

you can set it in soortsline or RTSports, but I don’t know why anyone would.

The question I have is why anyone would drop Clements.
You can do it in FFPC leagues. I dropped Gallman for IND DST yesterday.

I'm also in Yahoo leagues and I often roster a handcuff RB who plays on TNF in case the starter goes down. I see nothing wrong with it, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it to be honest. 

how is this any different than having your kicker on bye, so you wait until after SNF to see if you even need a kicker, dropping a guy who played Sunday for a kicker Monday?
Wouldn’t you just be dropping the kicker that was on the bye?

I'm also in Yahoo leagues and I often roster a handcuff RB who plays on TNF in case the starter goes down. I see nothing wrong with it, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it to be honest. 
Yeah if the guy was on your bench I don’t see what harm it would cause.

The players are only locked if they were in the starting lineup. If they're on the bench they can be dumped during or after the game.

Why someone would drop both Eagles rbs is beyond me.

The players are only locked if they were in the starting lineup. If they're on the bench they can be dumped during or after the game.

Needs at other positions.   Seriously cannot rely on either of those running backs since they are in committee

One team, in first place, dropped Clement for a kicker, Dan Bailey. First, earlier in the week, he dropped Crosby for Fairbairn, then Clement for Fairbairn, leaving him no kicker. With a short bench (4), Clement was the odd man out.

Smallwood was dropped for Powell, who has upside with Crowell sounding very questionable. Taking a chance that Powell could be a sneaky upside play.

Yes, I stand corrected, no pearls are being clutch in this thread at all.
Why do people care? Want the player, get him before the other guy can do this.
Any owner worth a damn would be a step ahead of any owner who did this.
You ask me, I would love if someone dropped the Eagles RBs.

Because it gives those teams what amounts to an extra roster spot over any teams that don’t have TNF players.  It’s an unfair advantage.

Any league worth a damn does not allow this. 
Agreed.  Players should be locked once their game starts.  Even if they're just on the bench, they were available to use and you've "used" the roster spot for the week.  Allowing players to be dropped in this fashion, violates roster limits.  Site should enforce.

I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with someone watching the game, sees Barkley blow a knee and grabs Gallman. 

That shouldn't be allowed imo

Yes, I stand corrected, no pearls are being clutch in this thread at all.
Why do people care? Want the player, get him before the other guy can do this.
Any owner worth a damn would be a step ahead of any owner who did this.
You ask me, I would love if someone dropped the Eagles RBs.
No one is arguing against picking up a player.  The issue is related to when a player can be released and the circumvention of roster limits.

Because it gives those teams what amounts to an extra roster spot over any teams that don’t have TNF players. It’s an unfair advantage.
Every team has the option to do this, no one has an unfair advantage. 

I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with someone watching the game, sees Barkley blow a knee and grabs Gallman.

That shouldn't be allowed imo
Oh yeah, you shouldn't be able to grab a player after their week's game has started.

once a game is played the roster spot should stay locked until Tuesday

by this logic then after sunday games it should be a free-for all Monday of first come first serve from all sunday game players... 

This has always been my beef with Yahoo and why only play on ESPN. 

People can argue about which interface is better and easier to navigate but that doesn’t matter if Yahoo has these stupid loopholes.

I remember I played in a league 3 years ago where I traded 2 players for 1. The league had a 24 hour review period but I got an email the next morning saying the trade was cancelled because the guy dropped the player he was already going to drop and added a new player to his roster.

how does Yahoo not lock that player who’s involved in a pending trade in the first place? 

That combined with the add/drop loophole mentioned in the OP is enough to keep me at ESPN.

Every team has the option to do this, no one has an unfair advantage. 

No, they don’t.  Teams that don’t have a player or more playing on TNF don’t have that option.

Look at it this way (just an example):  In a 12 team league that carries 15 active players, at the start of games on Sunday all teams have an opportunity to start any of the 15 active players on their roster.  If one of those teams had Smallwood rostered going into Thursday’s game and then dropped him after Thursday’s game to roster another player, he had 16 active players rostered that he could have started.

That’s an extra roster spot - he rostered 16 players who could have started this week.  All other teams had only 15 active roster spots.  

Either all other teams ought to have an equal opportunity to roster Smallwood and start him - which they didn’t because he was on one team’s roster - or the team that had Smallwood should have to hold him until this week’s games are over, since Smallwood had already played and if he is dropped and acquired by another team before the Sunday games, his new owner could not have an opportunity to start him in this week’s games.

If a league chooses to allow this, that’s up to them.  But it creates an unequal roster opportunity for a only a few teams.

No, they don’t.  Teams that don’t have a player or more playing on TNF don’t have that option.

Look at it this way (just an example):  In a 12 team league that carries 15 active players, at the start of games on Sunday all teams have an opportunity to start any of the 15 active players on their roster.  If one of those teams had Smallwood rostered going into Thursday’s game and then dropped him after Thursday’s game to roster another player, he had 16 active players rostered that he could have started.

That’s an extra roster spot - he rostered 16 players who could have started this week.  All other teams had only 15 active roster spots.  

Either all other teams ought to have an equal opportunity to roster Smallwood and start him - which they didn’t because he was on one team’s roster - or the team that had Smallwood should have to hold him until this week’s games are over, since Smallwood had already played and if he is dropped and acquired by another team before the Sunday games, his new owner could not have an opportunity to start him in this week’s games.

If a league chioses to allow this, that’s up to them.  But it creates an unequal roster opportunity for a only a few teams.
If you choose to play Smallwood, you've played 1 of your 15 players already.  If you bench him, yes you could drop him for someone else, but you're still choosing from only 15 players to start since you already decided to bench Smallwood for Thurs night.  

The only real advantage is what SSND said about snagging a Thurs night handcuff in case a starter goes down.  But it doesn't give you more startable options in a given week.

I can understand liking or not liking the rule, but it gives no unfair advantage if everyone is bound by the same rules.

once a game is played the roster spot should stay locked until Tuesday

by this logic then after sunday games it should be a free-for all Monday of first come first serve from all sunday game players... 
All I'm telling you is how Yahoo works

If you choose to play Smallwood, you've played 1 of your 15 players already.  If you bench him, yes you could drop him for someone else, but you're still choosing from only 15 players to start since you already decided to bench Smallwood for Thurs night.  

The only real advantage is what SSND said about snagging a Thurs night handcuff in case a starter goes down.  But it doesn't give you more startable options in a given week.

I can understand liking or not liking the rule, but it gives no unfair advantage if everyone is bound by the same rules.

So you don’t agree that in the example the team that rostered Smallwood and then dropped him had 16 active players rostered in the week while all other teams only had 15 actives rostered?

Of course it does.  Don't confuse "starters" with startable options.

As for snagging a handcuff... I guess I could use a single roster spot to grab a guy on Thursday night, Sunday 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 8:30 and Monday night too?

So you don’t agree that in the example the team that rostered Smallwood and then dropped him had 16 active players rostered in the week while all other teams only had 15 actives rostered?
Of course I do.  But would you agree that I only had the chance to start 15 of them?

And yes it's a slight advantage to have players in Thurs game in these leagues.  For instance if I have Jeffery and he goes down for the year on Thurs, I can drop him Friday for my pick of the litter before Sunday games.  If the same thing happens to the Sanders owner, he has to wait until next week's waivers to replace him.  Ok fine, but next week Sanders plays Thurs, Jeffery play Sunday.  So the situation reverses.  

Sure any given week in these leagues having Thurs players is a slight advantage, but everyone's in the same boat.  No owner has an unfair advantage.

Of 

Of course I do.  But would you agree that I only had the chance to start 15 of them?

No, you had a chance to start 16 different players.  That’s what active means.

In any case, I’m glad to see you admitted the obvious, which is that it is an advantage.

Of course it does.  Don't confuse "starters" with startable options.

As for snagging a handcuff... I guess I could use a single roster spot to grab a guy on Thursday night, Sunday 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 8:30 and Monday night too?
Suppose Smallwood is your only borderline player.  You're loaded with 14 other undroppable players.  But because of byes/injuries, you are debating starting Smallwood.  If you start him, you had 15 startable options for the week.  If you bench him, sure you can drop him for another startable option, but you're just delaying the decision until Sunday and are picking from the 15 you now have.  I think it's mostly just semantics at this point.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not some huge proponent of these leagues.  I was just saying no one owner has an unfair advantage when you play in these leagues.

And yes you could do what you said about swapping players at every game slot.  And I get why people might not like that rule.

As Commish this is something you should have known. You get what you pay for. Next season try a different host.
If not ESPN, check out Fleaflicker.

That kind of "gamesmanship" isn't something I would do but if it's within the rules it is fair.
Too many people try to make things "equal" and mistake it for fair. If this is to "competitive" for
you don't invite that owner back next season.

No, you had a chance to start 16 different players.  That’s what active means.

In any case, I’m glad to see you admitted the obvious, which is that it is an advantage.
This week sucks for me.  I have Tate and Stafford on bye.  My opponent doesn't have anyone on bye.  My opponent has an advantage on me this week.  But I don't think anyone would call it unfair.

This week sucks for me.  I have Tate and Stafford on bye.  My opponent doesn't have anyone on bye.  My opponent has an advantage on me this week.  But I don't think anyone would call it unfair.

Really?  You think byes are the same thing?  Since we seem to be getting a little silly, I’ll step out of this discussion.

Really?  You think byes are the same thing?  Since we seem to be getting a little silly, I’ll step out of this discussion.
I think this mentality is a shame. People should not go into a thread, ridicule a point, then cowardly duck out from further discussion. I've seen this a lot around here lately and it's frankly an incredibly immature mentality that serves absolutely zero benefit. Inexcusable and shameful. Have the decency to disagree or agree in a mature fashion. If you can't do that, you should probably refrain from posting. 

And yeah, I'm guilty of not handling things in the best way all the time and don't mean to pretend I'm perfect. But people should call me out when I slip up. We shouldn't just encourage each other to erode into this crap. It's just pathetic and destroys the board's greatest strength, which is our ability to debate in a constructive manner. 

Hard to believe anyone would defend this ridiculous hole in yahoos programming.

It effectively bypasses the roster limit.

I think this mentality is a shame. People should not go into a thread, ridicule a point, then cowardly duck out from further discussion. I've seen this a lot around here lately and it's frankly an incredibly immature mentality that serves absolutely zero benefit. Inexcusable and shameful. Have the decency to disagree or agree in a mature fashion. If you can't do that, you should probably refrain from posting. 

I think you’d be well served to rethink this.

I appreciate finding out this "Yahoo rule," on this message board, Shark Pool. I posted on the actual Yahoo forum several hours ago and still no response. I posted here and ya'll chimed in one way or the other. Thank you! I personally see a flaw in this system and believe a player on a roster bench for the TNF "should" also be locked. It's not, so we move on...

Fantasy football is supposed to be fun :)  

Hard to believe anyone would defend this ridiculous hole in yahoos programming.

It effectively bypasses the roster limit.
I also bypass the roster limit on Yahoo when I add someone to IR that is eventually not eligible. You're not allowed to make any moves for as long as you have someone on IR that isn't eligible but you effectively bypass the roster limit. Do people have a problem with that too?

I'll exploit anything as long as it's within the rules, I like eking out percentages.

I also bypass the roster limit on Yahoo when I add someone to IR that is eventually not eligible. You're not allowed to make any moves for as long as you have someone on IR that isn't eligible but you effectively bypass the roster limit. Do people have a problem with that too?

I'll exploit anything as long as it's within the rules, I like eking out percentages.
I imagine that people have a problem with someone in the IR slot that isn't eligible.  Why is that a question?

And yes it's a slight advantage to have players in Thurs game in these leagues.  For instance if I have Jeffery and he goes down for the year on Thurs, I can drop him Friday for my pick of the litter before Sunday games.  If the same thing happens to the Sanders owner, he has to wait until next week's waivers to replace him.  Ok fine, but next week Sanders plays Thurs, Jeffery play Sunday.  So the situation reverses.  

Sure any given week in these leagues having Thurs players is a slight advantage, but everyone's in the same boat.  No owner has an unfair advantage.
Your Jeffery Sanders example doesn't demonstrate that there isn't an unfair advantage.

What it demonstrates is that the team(s) getting the unfair advantage changes from week to week.

Your Jeffery Sanders example doesn't demonstrate that there isn't an unfair advantage.

What it demonstrates is that the team(s) getting the unfair advantage changes from week to week.

The rule itself is the problem, not owners taking advantage of it. Of course guys should look for edges.

Users who are viewing this thread