What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (4 Viewers)

Pretty upset I let go of this guy for various reasons throughout the season (when placed on PS and when Montgomery was acquired). Looks like he may have taken the starting job today.

Undrafted rookie Gus Edwards rushed 17 times for 115 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 11 win over the Bengals.

The Ravens used a "hot-hand" approach and settled on featuring Edwards after Alex Collins struggled to create early-game yardage on his own. Buck Allen had one touch, and Ty Montgomery didn't touch the ball at all. Edwards now has a chance to become Baltimore's lead back ahead of their Week 12 date with the Raiders. A plus-sized bulldozer type, Edwards never so much as ran for 750 yards in a college season, but opportunity is trending toward his favor ahead of one of the softest stretch-run rush-defense schedules in the league.
It's a really risky bid considering this could be a 3-way timeshare, but Baltimore has one of the best RB schedules down the stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbaugh's usage of A. Collins is now reminding me of Payton's old usage of M. Ingram a couple years ago. It's like he's doing this on purpose to aggravate us.

Barring an injury to a stud, I've gotta think this is as good an opportunity to use your ww spot as any. 

UGHHHH I added this dude for free to my dyno like 4 weeks ago. Needed him just for a bye and had like zero points that week. Immediately cut him. Now he randomly pops off a 100 yard game and I'm gonna have to put in my remaining budget to try and get him back. Dammit!  :wall:

Redraft waivers next week—- maybe only Collins owners should bid. With harbaugh this backfield is a mess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbaugh's usage of A. Collins is now reminding me of Payton's old usage of M. Ingram a couple years ago. It's like he's doing this on purpose to aggravate us.
I wouldn’t begrudge Harbaugh for seeking out a RB who actually produces and doesn’t fumble.  

Bojang0301 said:
Pretty upset I let go of this guy for various reasons throughout the season (when placed on PS and when Montgomery was acquired). Looks like he may have taken the starting job today.
Yeah me too. Took over a rebuild and had him on my taxi for first half of season. My "rebuild" is somehow in first in division (thanks Saquan) so I began focusing somewhat on this year. As a result, I had to drop speculative players. Kind of regretting it, this team is weak and I likely should have stuck to the plan (or pick a different scrub to drop). Grrrrr.....

Can't wait to see the overreaction to add this guy. It's going to make the flood to add Dez look like a trickle. Hot hand took advantage of cake matchup and the Flacco injury which dictated an all out rushing game script. Very regular looking UDFA competing against a talented stable of draft picks , for touches. Upcoming slate of games won't be all that easy, and there are too many mouths to feed. I may be wrong, but I'll pass on Edwards, and invest in the field, cheap, thanks.

Can't wait to see the overreaction to add this guy. It's going to make the flood to add Dez look like a trickle. Hot hand took advantage of cake matchup and the Flacco injury which dictated an all out rushing game script. Very regular looking UDFA competing against a talented stable of draft picks , for touches. Upcoming slate of games won't be all that easy, and there are too many mouths to feed. I may be wrong, but I'll pass on Edwards, and invest in the field, cheap, thanks.
Ravens have probably the best rushing matchups the rest of the year out of anyone in the league.

Oakland (29th)
Atlanta (21st)
Kansas City (22nd)
Tampa (18th)

He’s looked good previously in extremely limited touches and in preseason. The Ravens have been run friendly the last two seasons and have a soft schedule upcoming. I’m not saying he’s the second coming but he’s definitely worth an add considering most wires are barren. 

Maybe I wasn't clear. I totally get the run-friendly ROS. I've been planning around it myself all Season. Today was tremendously favorable for the Ravens rushing offense, both due to the opponent, plus Flacco being sidelined. Edwards was the lucky one who profited, but I'm more inclined to believe that he was just in the right place in the right time, and today has no bearing on how RB touches will be distributed moving forward. Also, due to Flacco returning, and the stable of backs available, there's little chance, IMHO, that Edwards' performance is going to repeat itself. It's going to be amusing, to me, at least, to watch the amount of FAAB $, spent to acquire Edwards this week. To each, his own, but I'd rather spend pennies on Collins, Allen, or Ty Mont, if any, or all, are available. It's absolutely essential to try and obtain a piece of that backfield, given the remaining schedule, but I don't think there's any reason to believe spending what your're likely to have to spend, to aquire Gus Edwards, IMHO.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I totally get the run-friendly ROS. I've been planning around it myself all Season. Today was tremendously favorable for the Ravens rushing offense, both due to the opponent, plus Flacco being sidelined. Edwards was the lucky one who profited, but I'm more inclined to believe that he was just in the right place in the right time, and today has no bearing on how RB touches will be distributed moving forward. Also, due to Flacco returning, and the stable of backs available, there's little chance, IMHO, that Edwards' performance is going to repeat itself. It's going to be amusing, to me, at least, to watch the amount of FAAB $, spent to acquire Edwards this week. To each, his own, but I'd rather spend pennies on Collins, Allen, or Ty Mont, if any, or all, are available. It's absolutely essential to try and obtain a piece of that backfield, given the remaining schedule, but I don't think there's any reason to believe spending what your're likely to have to spend, to aquire Gus Edwards, IMHO.
Flacco is out next week.

Maybe for a lot of leagues. In a 16 team league he's a legit add, even more so with a rebuild or large roster leagues. In the typical smal roster 12 teamer, you're probably right. I've done FF long enough to know there's always guys who come out of nowhere and can impact a FF team's performance.

He's big and sortof fast... worth a roster spot for a few weeks at least in Dynasty.  I'll probably pick him up if hes out there.

For dynasty, tempting until you look at the team. They are terrible and the prospects are dim for the future. Cleveland will move past them next year so they will battle Cincy for the basement. Without a strong D, they are nothing. 

After the 10 carry 42 yard effort against Tennessee, I added him on all four of my dynasties for free. Hadn't heard of him until I saw his name in the box score. I checked the pro day numbers and they were good.  Immediate add and hold.

Gus is the best RB on the Ravens, and the Ravens have a nice schedule going forward.

Very regular looking UDFA competing against a talented stable of draft picks , for touches.
I’m not advocating for Edwards but who are the talented stable of draft picks? Collins was a late round pick by another team, Allen was a mid round pick (and is fairly average) and Montgomery wasn’t even drafted as a RB.

I just read that Kenneth Dixon could be coming back soon too off IR. Got to think he’s a better option if he’s healthy. 

I just read that Kenneth Dixon could be coming back soon too off IR. Got to think he’s a better option if he’s healthy. 
Wow, Edwards and Dixon will make a great one two punch with the occasional spell by TyMont

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Gus Edwards "took the bull by the horns" with his 115-yard performance against the Bengals on Sunday.

Edwards entered Sunday with just 64 yards on 15 carries to his name in the NFL, but he left it in position to earn meaningful carries down the stretch. "To give us that type of a back is very important," Harbaugh said of Edwards' bruising style. "He gives us that back that we probably didn’t have earlier in the year. We’ve got four different guys who have different styles. I think that’s a plus for us." It remains unclear if this was a blip or the start of Edwards taking over the starting job from Alex Collins, but he is worth adding in all leagues to see what happens, especially given the Ravens' schedule down the stretch.
Did... Harbaugh just say FOUR guys?

We’ve got four different guys
.... and that's good for him?

I think that’s a plus for us
Shoot me.

Till Dixon is back
I think it's time to put the Dixon hope out to pasture. Has a RB ever lost so much time to injury and suspensions so early in his career and then went on to have a meaningful run? It wasn't like he has looked all that good when he's been on the field either. 

Would anyone be shocked to see Collins cut at this point? Clearly the staff isn’t fond of him. If they were why did this happen? Why did they bring in TyMont and why did the designate Dixon to return? 

I think it's time to put the Dixon hope out to pasture. Has a RB ever lost so much time to injury and suspensions so early in his career and then went on to have a meaningful run?
Almost certainly not, although we're likely looking at a very, very small sample to the point where it becomes meaningless.

It wasn't like he has looked all that good when he's been on the field either. 
We don't have much to go on, but once he got the knee brace off, I'd say he looked very good. It was only 8 games, but the talent was there.

I'm not saying the odds of his success are great, but given that he's looked legit when healthy I don't see any reason to completely give up hope on a 24 year old player. I say let's see his age 25 season before writing him off. The guy had almost 900 college touches so he's probably not as fragile as his NFL injury history would lead us to believe. 

Dixon could be 43 years old and his fans would still be holding out hope. It's clear he's done for. 

Baltimore is likely starting over at RB. I expect them to draft Harris. 

Dixon could be 43 years old and his fans would still be holding out hope. It's clear he's done for. 

Baltimore is likely starting over at RB. I expect them to draft Harris. 
They definitely don't need a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield because the QB won't be able to get it to him.

Almost certainly not, although we're likely looking at a very, very small sample to the point where it becomes meaningless. 
It's obviously a much larger sample size of guys that didn't work out then you think. The problem is we forget all the examples because they all just fade from our memory because they never accomplished anything and just become part of the subset that brings down the average lifespan of an NFL RB statistic.

Teams give up on guys that can't stay on the field like Dixon quickly, especially if they weren't all that good to begin with. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how good he was when on the field. He was an average NFL RB, at best.

I'll be back to eat crow if Dixon strings together a couple of good seasons in the future. If he doesn't I'm sure we'll all just forget he ever existed.

It's obviously a much larger sample size of guys that didn't work out then you think. The problem is we forget all the examples because they all just fade from our memory because they never accomplished anything and just become part of the subset that brings down the average lifespan of an NFL RB statistic.

Teams give up on guys that can't stay on the field like Dixon quickly, especially if they weren't all that good to begin with. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how good he was when on the field. He was an average NFL RB, at best.

I'll be back to eat crow if Dixon strings together a couple of good seasons in the future. If he doesn't I'm sure we'll all just forget he ever existed.
There's a difference between roster bubble/cut candidates who can be stashed on IR for minor injuries and guys that were going to contribute that went on the IR for legitimate reasons. I genuinely believe the sample of contributor-level players that missed 29 of their first 42 games is extremely small.

Obviously a small sample size, but the guy averaged 4.9 ypc for half a season. That's better than "average at best." His scouting report indicated he was a 3 down back and he caught 25 passes in that half season. Didn't do much with them (156 yds, 1 TD), but such is the nature of dump offs. He's better in the passing game than Collins and better with ball security. Much more dynamic than Buck Allen. Again, I'm not saying he's anything more than a long shot, but it's premature to write him off completely. Let's just see what his age 25 season looks like.

Not really a critical discussion. I'm just saying, if he's available in any dynasties, he's worth a stash.
There’s a long list of players, including the subject of this thread, worth a stash in dynasty. I wouldn’t argue with that, but the fact he’s “worth a stash” pretty much backs up the thought at this point he’s a long shot to be a productive NFL player.

Users who are viewing this thread