What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nancy Pelosi thread (2 Viewers)

So let's extend the hypothetical. Say that prosecutors produce evidence that, in your view, satisfies the Potter Stewart test, but Republicans still refuse to act. What should Democrats do in that scenario?
Use the Republican refusal to try to win a decisive majority in the next election. 

Can you show me an example of anything a republican has done in the past two years that would lead you to believe this?
My whole point is that in the past two years Trump has done nothing that OBVIOUSLY warrants his removal from office. That’s the key to my disagreement with The Commish and others. 

I believe Comey was fired because Trump was irritated by the continued investigation into Russian collusion.
Isn't that the very definition of obstruction of justice? I'm not sure how that leaves any uncertainty about whether Trump obstructed justice.

You could maybe argue that obstructing a counterintelligence investigation into electoral meddling by a foreign adversary isn't a big deal. But it very literally amounts to obstruction of justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Commish- I mention this only because you made the same mistake twice: the word you want is “tenet”. “tenants” are people I have to deal with in property management. 
i know...on my phone and didn't pay attention to autocorrect.....sorry about that.

Manu Raju@mkraju

I asked Pelosi if she believes there was no collusion in light of Mueller’s finding, and she declined to respond. Asked by @AlexNBCNews if Trump has been exonerated, she said:  “I think the Mueller report is clear the president was not exonerated.”

:mellow:

Manu Raju@mkraju

I asked Pelosi if she believes there was no collusion in light of Mueller’s finding, and she declined to respond. Asked by @AlexNBCNews if Trump has been exonerated, she said:  “I think the Mueller report is clear the president was not exonerated.”

Well that’s literally true per the summary. It states that he is not exonerated from obstruction charges. That’s a direct quote I believe. 

Manu Raju@mkraju

Barr’s summary said:

“The Special Counsel states that "while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."”

It takes about 5 minutes to read the summary for yourself, or you can just continue to look foolish

Well that’s literally true per the summary. It states that he is not exonerated from obstruction charges. That’s a direct quote I believe. 
Not just obstruction charges, but also “collusion.” Barr quotes the Mueller report as saying that “the investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

That’s saying something, but there’s a whole lot it’s not saying. Even If Mueller found irrefutable proof that (1) Manafort illegally coordinated with Deripaska to help Trump win the election, and (2) Trump made a deal directly with Putin that he’d get to build Trump Tower Moscow If he weakened the NATO alliance during his presidency, those things wouldn’t contradict anything in the Barr letter.

I don’t think those things happened. I’m just cautioning that, strictly speaking, the Barr letter doesn’t say that those things didn’t happen. Until the Mueller report is released, let’s not read more exoneration into the Barr letter than is actually there.

Considering it is nearly impossible to prove you didn't do anything especially in a conspiracy type accusation, this is the best we are going to get.   Fortunately we live in a country where the burdon of proof is on the prosecution.  You can argue obstruction, but without substantial evidence of the real crime, people don't care.   

No way the GOP would ever vote to throw out Trump. You could have Trump recorded giving army top secret to Putin and it would not make a difference.

She also just said that Trump simply wasn’t prepared to say where the infrastructure money was coming from, that “perhaps he just isn’t capable of figuring stuff like that out”, and added “I wanted to say this because we in the House of Representatives are not going to be held responsible for the President’s incompetence.” 

Damn. 

You think so? I disagree. I think there is a method to her madness. 
Of course there is. She will dominate the coverage over Trump in the next news cycle, unless she gets him to emotionally react, which depending on his response, might confirm that he does need an intervention.

Her critics always underestimate Pelosi and Trump is no exception. She has been deft in her handling of him so far, particularly after he stormed out (as was pre-planned) of the infrastructure meeting yesterday.

Enjoyed this from CNN:

https://us.cnn.com/2019/05/23/politics/nancy-pelosi-shade-donald-trump/index.html

Nancy Pelosi, master of shade

Master of Shade.

Queen of Shade.

Shady Nancy.

Speaker of Shade.

In Pelosi, Trump has something he has never had. A person -- a woman, at that -- who challenges, frustrates and frequently doles out plenty of strategic shade. For a man who laps up and feeds on the adoration of cheering crowds -- and who has cowed former rivals such as Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz -- the charismatic Pelosi reminds him that his power isn't limitless. With every briefing and White House meeting, she flexes her own considerable power.

[...]

She doles out shade, the kind that takes a little while to reveal itself. She goes on detours and tangents -- in some cases about Jefferson and Roosevelt and Eisenhower and the Erie Canal -- and then it becomes apparent that the path leads right to Shadytown. All the while, there is a kind of detached bemusement. A businesslike aloofness to the whole affair.

While Trump fumes, Pelosi gently waves a fan. It isn't that she's mad. Just disappointed.

These are classic Jedi-mind tricks, perfected by a woman who had five kids in six years. Five kids in six years.

"She has a way of delivering her message to the intended without rubbing their face in it -- without directly telling them why she's so disappointed," said Nancy Corinne Prowda in aninterview with The Washington Post about her mom. "It'd be better if she'd just get mad at you."

And for Trump, Pelosi, in all of her dispassionate, unemotional glory, ends up being a giant red flag, a perfect foil.

She embodies what he has never had -- a check on his behavior.

Kellyanne whines about Nancy: “she treats me like a maid!” 

Nancy’s response: “I’m not going to talk about her.” 

Of course there is. She will dominate the coverage over Trump in the next news cycle, unless she gets him to emotionally react, which depending on his response, might confirm that he does need an intervention.

Her critics always underestimate Pelosi and Trump is no exception. She has been deft in her handling of him so far, particularly after he stormed out (as was pre-planned) of the infrastructure meeting yesterday.

Enjoyed this from CNN:

https://us.cnn.com/2019/05/23/politics/nancy-pelosi-shade-donald-trump/index.html

Master of Shade.

Queen of Shade.

Shady Nancy.

Speaker of Shade.

In Pelosi, Trump has something he has never had. A person -- a woman, at that -- who challenges, frustrates and frequently doles out plenty of strategic shade. For a man who laps up and feeds on the adoration of cheering crowds -- and who has cowed former rivals such as Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz -- the charismatic Pelosi reminds him that his power isn't limitless. With every briefing and White House meeting, she flexes her own considerable power.

[...]

She doles out shade, the kind that takes a little while to reveal itself. She goes on detours and tangents -- in some cases about Jefferson and Roosevelt and Eisenhower and the Erie Canal -- and then it becomes apparent that the path leads right to Shadytown. All the while, there is a kind of detached bemusement. A businesslike aloofness to the whole affair.

While Trump fumes, Pelosi gently waves a fan. It isn't that she's mad. Just disappointed.

These are classic Jedi-mind tricks, perfected by a woman who had five kids in six years. Five kids in six years.

"She has a way of delivering her message to the intended without rubbing their face in it -- without directly telling them why she's so disappointed," said Nancy Corinne Prowda in aninterview with The Washington Post about her mom. "It'd be better if she'd just get mad at you."

And for Trump, Pelosi, in all of her dispassionate, unemotional glory, ends up being a giant red flag, a perfect foil.

I get your excitement but actions speak louder than words.  Words of a politician mean almost nothing without action to back the words up.  But that is just my view.

Enjoyed this from CNN:

Master of Shade.

Queen of Shade.

Shady Nancy.

Speaker of Shade.

[...]

God I hate CNN.  it is the worst "news" organization out there that I can reference.

I dont ever go to Fox news so I can't say if they are just as bad....but CNN is just so childish, unprofessional....I hate them with a passion.  Shade?  Really? Multiple times? Shadytown?

And yet, I still check out their website.....I can't look away.

Oh and also, why is Pelosi getting credit for having 5 kids in six years....How is that some kind of achievement? She had sex and got pregnant?  We should celebrate that somehow?

Oh and also, why is Pelosi getting credit for having 5 kids in six years....How is that some kind of achievement? She had sex and got pregnant?  We should celebrate that somehow?
That indicates that she is experienced in dealing with toddlers and, by extension, an adult who has the temperament of one.

That indicates that she is experienced in dealing with toddlers and, by extension, an adult who has the temperament of one.
Maybe..I considered that after I went on my tirade.  It wasn't written like that, but then again, this "writer" used "shade" like 8 times in her piece.

Journalism is soooo dead

I'm really torn on this - on one hand I've always felt that the partisanship and politicians not acting like adults is why we are in this current mess.  On the other hand, Trump is a <redacted> and deserves any and everything coming to him.

You sound like the Virginia GOP while dealing with their mess.  Well done.
We've been over this. Nancy Pelosi is not standing still. Her policy at this time is to continue to have the committees investigate, to issue subpoenas, and to win court battles. That will take months, not years. At the end of that time if she doesn't start impeachment proceedings then I will agree with your criticism. But right now it's still premature. She needs to get some of these people to testify publicly in order to change public opinion.

I think this is wise strategy. It's not going to satisfy anyone looking for immediate impeachment. It calls for patience. But it's not like your comparison, because she's not shirking from her duties.

Daniel Dale reporting on comments Trump just made to the press about Pelosi:

Trump takes a shot at Pelosi's intelligence, saying of his new NAFTA, "I don't think Nancy Pelosi understands the deal. It's too complicated. But it's not a complicated deal."

Trump, taking questions, continues about Pelosi, with no apparent basis: "She's a mess. Look, let's face it. She doesn't understand it. They sort of feel, she's disintegrating before their eyes. She does not understand it."

Trump keeps insulting Pelosi's mind, calling her "Crazy Nancy" and saying, "I'll tell you what, I've been watching her, and I have been watching her for a long period of time, she's not the same person. She's lost it."

Trump takes a shot at Pelosi's intelligence, saying of his new NAFTA, "I don't think Nancy Pelosi understands the deal. It's too complicated. But it's not a complicated deal."

Trump, taking questions, continues about Pelosi, with no apparent basis: "She's a mess. Look, let's face it. She doesn't understand it. They sort of feel, she's disintegrating before their eyes. She does not understand it."

Trump keeps insulting Pelosi's mind, calling her "Crazy Nancy" and saying, "I'll tell you what, I've been watching her, and I have been watching her for a long period of time, she's not the same person. She's lost it."
His old, tried and true, project his deficiencies on his opponent schtick. So pathetic. More pathetic that people lap it up.

Maybe..I considered that after I went on my tirade.  It wasn't written like that, but then again, this "writer" used "shade" like 8 times in her piece.

Journalism is soooo dead
You’re just old. I feel the same way when I watch a commercial and say to my wife “wtf was that?” I must not be in the 18-35 demographic that they advertise to anymore.

This is great. :lol:   Pelosi really is getting under his skin.

Here is a 7+ minute video, from ABC, of Trump calling on multiple senior aides to defend him and vouch for his 'calm' demeanor in the infrastructure meeting with Democrats after Nancy Pelosi said that he'd had a temper tantrum.

ABC News Politics  

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1131658573300359169 (video at link)

Trump just said he's an extremely stable genius. Here is Nancy's response:

When the “extremely stable genius” starts acting more presidential, I’ll be happy to work with him on infrastructure, trade and other issues.

Kelly O'Donnell‏ @KellyO 1h1 hour ago

“She is a mess” @realDonaldTrump on @SpeakerPelosi in what has devolved into serious personal attacks
Take that, Mr. President:

Nancy Pelosi‏ @SpeakerPelosi  11m              

When the “extremely stable genius” starts acting more presidential, I’ll be happy to work with him on infrastructure, trade and other issues.

The old I'm rubber you're glue riposte.  

You sound like the Virginia GOP while dealing with their mess.  Well done.
We've been over this. Nancy Pelosi is not standing still. Her policy at this time is to continue to have the committees investigate, to issue subpoenas, and to win court battles. That will take months, not years. At the end of that time if she doesn't start impeachment proceedings then I will agree with your criticism. But right now it's still premature. She needs to get some of these people to testify publicly in order to change public opinion.

I think this is wise strategy. It's not going to satisfy anyone looking for immediate impeachment. It calls for patience. But it's not like your comparison, because she's not shirking from her duties.
None of what you type here has anything to do with my response to your quote above which is essentially the exact same argument the GOP is making in the Virginia debacle, thus you sounding just like them :shrug:  

The old I'm rubber you're glue riposte.  
Two old people taking pot shots at each other.  How wonderful to watch.
This is a good -- albeit unintended -- illustration of why Pelosi needs to be very careful with the words that she chooses, because it allows Trump to create a false equivalency.

Because I think most people would agree that "Crazy Nancy" and "she's a mess" are in much different league than "maybe it was a lack of confidence" and "have an intervention". But the subtleties of Pelosi's observations just get dismissed as "potshots" as soon as Trump goes nuclear. The net effect is that Pelosi's comments are made to seem much worse than they really are, while Trump's comments are simultaneously downplayed and normalized.

She really does level a beat down everytime they get together.

And he cant help himself but to respond and look even worse as he validates her words.

This is great. :lol:   Pelosi really is getting under his skin.

Here is a 7+ minute video, from ABC, of Trump calling on multiple senior aides to defend him and vouch for his 'calm' demeanor in the infrastructure meeting with Democrats after Nancy Pelosi said that he'd had a temper tantrum.

ABC News Politics  

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1131658573300359169 (video at link)
I can only guess the folks behind him were there for some decent reason unrelated to his getting slavish paeons from his underlings.

George Conway’s insights on Trump’s mental state is really telling and on point especially consider who he lives with.

Users who are viewing this thread