What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Point to the Shirt presented by Matthew Berry (1 Viewer)

Worst loss I ever had was when I was down 4 points with only Frank Gore, in his prime left to go, vs Arizona on MNF. He got 3 points in the first quarter but on his last carry he injured his hip and was done for the season. I still remember that loss to this day. My second worst loss was last year when I was down 42 points with Wentz left on MNF last year and he scored 41.7 with the whole 4th quarter left to play but he didn't throw another pass all game.

I know someone else who lost a playoff spot on a QB kneel down on MNF

I once was up by two points, 1 minute to go vs. a guy who only had IDP Antoine Winfield on MNF.  Minnesota was on defense and Winfield proceeded to get FIVE tackles (at .5 per tackle) on the last drive...I lost by less than half a point.  To this day in my opinion Antoine Winfield = Ray Finkle.

I posted this previously in another year, but it was so peculiar and apt to the OP that’s it’s probably worth repeating.

IDP league.  Up by something like 5 pts going into the very last play on MNF.  The team that was behind tried one of those crazy multiple lateral plays on the last play of the game, and one of the laterals was dropped and picked up for a TD by I believe LB Justin Houston for a meaningless TD.  3 pts for the fumble recovery and 6 pts for the D TD and I end up losing.  

Just sat stunned for 5 minutes trying to comprehend what evil I had done in a previous life to have deserved that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst loss I ever had was when I was down 4 points with only Frank Gore, in his prime left to go, vs Arizona on MNF. He got 3 points in the first quarter but on his last carry he injured his hip and was done for the season. I still remember that loss to this day. My second worst loss was last year when I was down 42 points with Wentz left on MNF last year and he scored 41.7 with the whole 4th quarter left to play but he didn't throw another pass all game.

Try having that kind of thing happen in a championship game...

2014. Week 16. I'm down 1.6 points in a PPR championship with only AJ Green left to play versus the Broncos on Monday night.  1 catch for 7 yards or even 2 catches for negative yardage and I win.

On his first target, he got hit on the elbow on a slant pattern. Didn't catch it, got hurt. But instead of missing the rest of the game and letting me suffer right away, he was used sparingly in the game, barely able to raise his arm, basically as a decoy.... teasing me each time he ran a route, dragging out the hope for another 3 hours.

No catches, no yards, no championship.

Morris killed me too.

I lost 106.93 to 106.88, a total of .05 points. Morris had 1 carry for 2 yards, which was called back because of a penalty. Yes, the freaking 2 yards was the difference.

And yeah, it was Crosby's overtime field goal that did it.

I handed someone a worse loss. It was on Xmas eve, the championship game for my IDP. I had a DB, my opponent had a RB. 

My opponent was up by 1.5, and his RB ran 4 yards and ran out of bounds, which woulda put him up 1.9 FTW.

unfortunatly for him, my safety was the one who chased him out (like 5’ behind him) and I got 2 points for the (generously awarded) “tackle”, winning my LCG by .1 point. 

Brutal. 

OK since we're doing this, my worst loss was on MNF where the last reception for Alshon fell 1 yard short and I lost by 0.1.  But the thing that made it a unique loss was the circumstances of the matchup.  I was playing against a guy who's 1st round draft pick I had.  The loss knocked my team out of the playoffs, and by virtue of him winning cost me the 1.01 draft pick that I had of his.  The pick fell to 1.03 which landed me Corey Coleman instead of Zeke at 1.01.

Back in the day I remember a championship decided by a Marino kneel-down on MNF.

I post it every time it comes up but worse loss I ever had was in the fantasy playoffs. I was down 1 point. I had Rudi Johnson and Chad Johnson left. Rudi Johnson gets 8 yards bringing him to 82 yards on the game and gets me the point to tie it (I win tie break with more yardage). This is in the 3rd quarter so I think I'm in the clear. Rudi loses 3 yards on the next play dropping him to 79 yards. He never had another carry the rest of the game. Ochocinco had no catches the rest of the game. I lost by 1 yard that I already seen my guy have and then he lost it.

Up 9.7 late on MNF

Opponent's kicker hits a 50+ yarder at the end of regulation  to force OT.

Then another 50+ yarder to win it in OT.

Lost by 0.3.

Man I've had worse  than that.  Hell I had JJ Stokes catch a pass from Alex Smith (who I got stuck starting week one) and he fumbles it into the endzone from the one (SF recovered for a touchdown).  No passing TD, a week one loss that ultimately cost me a playoff spot by one game :ptts:

-QG

I am going to try and top you all.

Years ago, my leaguemate had a 5 pt lead on his opponent going into MNF, and his opponent was done.  It was the Bears and the Cardinals.  This guy with the 5 pt lead had Rex Grossman as his QB (we play in a superflex so Grossman was his flex).  Grossman threw for like 140 yards and had 6 turnovers.  He totaled -7 points and lost by two.

That was the infamous game where Dennis Green had the rant....."and we let 'em off the hook".

LOL this was actually very funny. I love Berry's writing but I usually can't stand watching him on TV or listening to him. But this made me laugh - he should do this more often.

My favorite league wise:

Da bears @ zona.  20+ yr $ league and were all frat bras.  Didn't have the decimals back then, but team A was up about 25 w the az kicker going iirc

Team.B had bears D.  Won by 2ish.

That's the night Denny Green did this (as did the A team owner)

https://youtu.be/aYKIcnj1MJY

My favorite part is both are bears fans and the owner of A is a CEO of a publically traded company.  Dude went off on the msg board.

Lesson here... we're all fanatics. 

My championship game in 2014. My good friend has AJ Green playing against Pittsburgh on the Sunday Night final game of the season in Week 17. Cincinnati is driving while down 17-20 with about 5 minutes to go. This is for the AFC North Division Title and a bye in real life. Dalton is locked into Green. I am up 239.45 to 236.40 at the moment. Green gets a 6 yard catch and I am only up 239.45 to 238.00 and then 2 plays later Green gets a short catch and takes it for 17 yards and I conceded the game by losing 239.45 to 239.70 BUT just as I was heartbroken it turns out that Green is hit by Antwon Blake and not only fumbles but is also knocked out of the game. I look at my friend and now he is heartbroken as he ended up losing our championship 239.45 to 237.70 due to this fumble. Craziest ending we ever had in our dynasty league.

I remember that game! Arizona had the worst run D in the league that year, and Gore was running though them like they were tissue paper early on. I think I held on to win that game, but losing him as my RB1 ended up costing me in the championship, which I only lost by a couple points after being forced to start Rashard Jennings.

I definitely think the worst beats are the ones where you had the win and then lost it due to a fumble or negative yards. I've never had that happen, but I did once go to bed after an SNF game where Yahoo was showing me Romo had gotten me enough points on the final drive to win. I woke up the next morning and was somehow a point behind. I never actually found out what happened; it wasn't an official stat correction, most likely one of those things where the initial real-time data Yahoo got from NFL Stats was off (I've noticed they've since gotten much quicker at correcting those).

This past Monday night (Packers vs. 49'ers) they talked about when those two teams played each other on MNF back in 1996 and Chris Jacke led the Packers to victory by kicking 5 FGs.  I immediately texted my buddy to see if he was watching.  He replied and said "how could I forget that night?"

He was up by like 18 points going into the game, with only Jacke left going against him.  In our scoring system at the time 50+ yard FGs were worth 6 points.  Jacke kicked two of them, including the game winner, and scored 21 points.  My buddy even remembered which of our other buddies he was playing against that week.  22 years later.

One of the worst ones that has stuck in my memory is a matchup against a guy I considered my arch rival at the time. I was down 1 point going into the SNF game and I had a RB left. 1 point is only 10 yards rushing or receiving in that league. Just need 2 points for the win. No problem, right?

Chicago Bears at 13:47

1-10-50 (13:47) T.Jones left guard to SF 49 for 1 yard (A.Adams).

Chicago Bears at 11:40

1-10-CHI 30 (11:40) C.Krenzel pass incomplete to B.Wade (J.Williams). #20 T. Jones leaves game with sprained foot

Chicago Bears

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD

T.Jones 1 1 1.0 1 0

:rant:

In the championship in 2005, my WRs had some issues. I went into the Sunday night game down by a single point. My 2 other WRs had scored 1 total point between them in a non-PPR non-decimal scoring league. I had Koren Robinson left to go. He had 1 catch for 5 yards for 0 points. 

What was especially killer, is that my 1 WR point came from Steve Smith. He was the #1 WR in the league that year and nobody could stop him. Only, on FF championship week he managed 1 catch in the 1st quarter, threw a punch and got himself ejected.

Worst that I can remember was being up in the first week of the playoffs going into MNF by 40.9 points and my opponent having just Drew Bennett.  41.3 points later (standard scoring), I'm bounced. :ptts:

Bronco Billy said:
I posted this previously in another year, but it was so peculiar and apt to the OP that’s it’s probably worth repeating.

IDP league.  Up by something like 5 pts going into the very last play on MNF.  The team that was behind tried one of those crazy multiple lateral plays on the last play of the game, and one of the laterals was dropped and picked up for a TD by I believe LB Justin Houston for a meaningless TD.  3 pts for the fumble recovery and 6 pts for the D TD and I end up losing.  

Just sat stunned for 5 minutes trying to comprehend what evil I had done in a previous life to have deserved that.

That exact same thing happened to me.  Up 7, lost by 1 on that same play......I think it was KC vs WAS last year.

Steelers4Life said:
Try having that kind of thing happen in a championship game...
That was a tough break.

Happened to me during the 'Ship, too -- lost by exactly 1.04 points.

Dec 22, 2008. Week 16.

It all came down to the MNF game between the Packers and the Bears.

I had Greg Jennings; he had Matt Forte. I was behind by >10 points going into the game, and both players were expected to do well, coming out of a super solid season -- Forte racking up 254 FFP against Jennings' 201 in our league's PPR scoring.

Both started off cold in the first quarter. Forte mostly getting stuffed on 1-2 yard carries, Jennings targeted but a few deep incompletions and not doing much on short pass receptions.

2nd Q has GB start off with a drive ending in a 7 yard TD pass to Jennings - SCORE! Puts me in the lead.

3rd Q starts off with Forte continuing to not do much, and with continuing to grab catches, mostly dinks and dunks. But the Bears are put back into the game by Orton hitting none other than Greg Olsen on a short RZ hit, so their run/pass ratio would still feature Forte even though he's been the focus of the GB defense, who was doing well to limit him.

Flash forward to the second drive of the 4th quarter. CHI takes the ball at their 25 yard line after a GB punt. I still have the lead by a bit of a margin, but not anywhere near where I can get comfortable.

Forte immediately rips a huge 28 yard gain, followed by consecutive runs of 8, 2, 3, and 3 yards. After a pass to Hester, and another run by Forte, the Bears are at the GB 3 with 3:16 left to play.

Next play, Forte takes it to the house and scores on a 3 yard inside run over the left guard. 

I am down by a point or two, and GB drives the field and puts themselves in position to win the game with a 38 yard FG. Jennings had a few catches, getting me to a razor-thin edge to my opponent, but this drive sets up a nearly automatic 38 yard FG for Crosby would both end the game...and my bid at the trophy.

BUT THE FG IS BLOCKED!!! 

This sends the game into overtime and giving both teams a shot to potentially win.  It literally comes down to a touch for either player that could win the game.

In overtime, Bears have the ball first. Forte only nets 1 yard after a few carries where he's pushed back. But he catches a 14 yard pass,  putting my opponent up by just over a point, and the Bears in position for a 38 yard FG of their own.

Gould nails it, game over, championship over.

Never been more on the edge of my seat for a fantasy game like that before or since.

Thanks for listening.

I once lost a $2500 auction league by .1 of a point on one of the final carries of my opponent's RB on Monday night. Went from $20,000 winnings to $8,000 for second. But wait......

On the following Thursday, which I never will forget was Christmas morning, Elias changed an Alex Smith INT ruling to a fumble. Smith's -2 points for an INT went to -1 for a fumble, and I gained 1 point. I won by .9 of a point and $12,000 more.  That is a bad beat for my opponent - 4 DAYS with $12,000 additional in your pocket, then poof.

Didn't happen to me (thank goodness) but I read of another brutal beatdown thanks to Morris (and Julio Jones):

Game was tied heading into Monday night, Owner had Morris. Game ended up in a tie with tiebreaker going to bench points.  His bench outscored his opponent so he won.  However, there was a correction this week with a 1 yd stat correction for Julio Jones so he lost by .1 of a point.

I'm not going to relive the point-to-the-shirt moments where I was on the wrong side :lol:    Here are two awesome situations where I came out on top on MNF:

I won my game on the last play of overtime on MNF on this play: He did what?!?!??

More recently I won a playoff game when Justin Tucker went off on MNF against DET.  An average score in this league was about 100 and if you scored around 130 you should expect to win most games.  In the early games on Sunday I scored around 95 points and was feeling really good about things.  Then my opponent had J. Charles blow up for 5TD and over 200 yards from scrimmage in the afternoon games to take a big lead on me by around 6PM.  I had some good performances late in the afternoon gamaes and SNF (although I can't remember who they were).  Anyway, it was an up-and-down  Sunday where I was feeling really good about things, then thought J. Charles crushed my hopes, then got within striking distance by the end of SNF.  My opponent had 205 points and I was around 186 or so... then J. Tucker makes 6 FGs with the last one coming from 61 yards out  :pickle: :clap:

Tucker61

Let me paint the picture:

It's the finals of the league, I'm projected to win by 12 points against my best friend.  We start talking over chat thinking this is going to be really close wishing each other the best of luck, all the while giving jabs like there's no way you're going to beat me.  Games start and BOOM, injury to Adrian Peterson on like his 1st carry for my opponent.  Hell yeah I said, this is going to be great.  20 minutes later, BOOM, ANOTHER injury to DeMarco Murray on his team after getting like 2 points total.  I start talking loads of trash to him, I'm thinking this is amazing, things are breaking my way to take home this trophy.  

No.

I couldn't even tell you who was on my team or his, I just remember those 2 RB's getting hurt and that I scored HALF my projection.  My total?  62 points.  SIXTY F'IN TWO.  Average was probably around 115 for most weeks, and I was projected 121.  

Users who are viewing this thread