What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LMAO@ SD, uh LA, uh.... Mexico chargers? (1 Viewer)

BoltBacker

Footballguy
This was a nice blurb in Rotoworld today....

"Dean Spanos - C - Chargers

ESPN's Seth Wickersham reports the Chargers' viability in Los Angeles will be a "major discussion topic among NFL owners and executives at this week’s league meetings."

As Adam Schefter notes, it's a "troubling issue" for the league. The Chargers' PSL (personal seat license) sales have been a real struggle, and Wickersham says the team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number of $150 million from initially setting it at $400 million. The Chargers are a team without a home as the Rams have cornered the L.A. market, and the Bolts are the stepson to the city. There were whispers last year of the NFL considering moving the Chargers back to San Diego. It should be done, but it would be a total admittance of failure by Roger Goodell and his billionaire buddies.

Source: Seth Wickersham on Twitter"

Couldn't have happened to a nicer ownership group. If they think it's tough to sell tickets to charger games("Que, this isn't Futbol!?) at their broken down soccer stadium now when the team is 4-2, just wait until they are trying to sell tickets after the annual collapse. Alex was just the tip of iceberg, bury that whole family now. If goodell and his "billionaire buddies" were smart they would move that franchise to Tijuana. The spanos family specialty is putting on a donkey show and that's where their act will be most appreciated. You have to give them credit though, they put the mental power of an entire family and somehow they've figured out how to make a NFL franchise a failure. The most popular sport in a sports crazy culture in not one but TWO of the most populated areas of the country. Even if they moved the team to Tijuana that family would have no hope of figuring out how to sell booze to the tourists.

"Quick, get that NEW LOGO off the jumbotron..... these LA fans HATE that NEW LOGO!", has to be one of the funniest things I've read in ages. Somebody nudge dean and explain to him it wasn't the logo. It wasn't the logo.

This makes me laugh. The league was so hell bent in keeping the Raiders out of LA that the put the Chargers there and I knew back then it would backfire on the league. It should be the Rams and Raiders in LA.

Even though I think it worked out really well for the Raiders in the end.

I hope somehow within 5 years that cooler heads prevail and figure out a San Diego solution.

At least the revenue projections being chopped by close to 60% might force a sale. 

This makes me laugh. The league was so hell bent in keeping the Raiders out of LA that the put the Chargers there and I knew back then it would backfire on the league. It should be the Rams and Raiders in LA.

I don't understand why they were so hell bent on this? 

I mean you could have easily moved the Chargers to LV. 

LA did not, and does not, need two NFL teams

I was actually hoping that it would be the Rams, raiders, chargers, Jags, and Vikings in LA. Not because I don't like those teams/cities but because I would have loved to see what a farce the whole, "Well if you don't give us what we want then we'll just move to LA" threat was all these years. At this point I think they should just make the chargers the international team. They play their "home" games in London, Toronto, Mexico City, Vancouver, Tokyo, etc. They are already playing in a small soccer stadium and nobody roots for them at their home games so I don't know what difference it would make.

I hope they have burned enough of their bridges in SD that nobody wants them back until they rid themselves of the franchise venereal disease that spanos family represents. It's the logo people hate. JFC. There is no cure for stupid. 

Nothing has worked.our for the Raiders and it looks like nothing will work out for the Raiders for literally, yes literally, a decade.

Who could have ever guessed that putting not one but two teams in a market that has proven repeatedly to be indifferent at best toward the NFL is a plan that would fail and fail miserably.

Millions of dollars worth of consultants and feasibility studies surely couldn't have seen this coming.

ESPN's Seth Wickersham reports the Chargers' viability in Los Angeles will be a "major discussion topic among NFL owners and executives at this week’s league meetings."
What would be more embarrassing for ol Deaner: The other 31 owners all ask him to leave so they can discuss this, or if they go ahead and discuss this failure right in front of him? 

IF they want to return to San Diego they better hurry the hell up. Currently there are 2 measures being voted on and one seems to be the clear winner. Its called SDSU West and demolition could start anytime now. Just waiting for city council approval. They would level the old stadium and build new campus buildings and a new stadium for The Aztecs. No public money would be used.

Should be the Rams in LA.   Chargers in SD and Raiders in Oakland.

What would be more embarrassing for ol Deaner: The other 31 owners all ask him to leave so they can discuss this, or if they go ahead and discuss this failure right in front of him? 
I assume the other 31 owners will just give dean their drink orders, so he'll be in and out of the league meeting.

Depending on who you believe there was a story that the league listened to the spanos proposal to "own" the LA market all to themselves, rolled their eyes, and pretty much gave the town to Kroenke. The spanos family is kind of like that "slow" cousin that the family lets mow the lawn by himself and they hope that the cat doesn't get run over in the process. You don't give the second biggest media market in the country to that guy. You hope that guy ties his shoe laces correctly so you don't have to pick up the pieces.

The league "allowed" the spanos family to use the Kroenke facility on the weekends his Rams weren't using it. You know, as long as they cleaned up the bathrooms before they left and didn't touch the mini-bar. I got the general impression when the league gave LA to Kroenke it was with the stipulation that he has to put up with Uncle Eddie from the "Vacation" films dropping by a dozen or so times a year to "share" the building that Kroenke had planned, and financed, and built. Oh, and don't forget Uncle Eddie is a real estate tycoon.... just ask him. No, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EpCvdHDrQk

I'm not saying dean "Eddie" spanos doesn't work hard, but so do washing machines. Good luck and good riddance, fella. He's a LA/NFL problem now. San Diego deserves better. If you want to leave a flaming bag of spanos in someone's back yard, please look elsewhere.

IF they want to return to San Diego they better hurry the hell up. Currently there are 2 measures being voted on and one seems to be the clear winner. Its called SDSU West and demolition could start anytime now. Just waiting for city council approval. They would level the old stadium and build new campus buildings and a new stadium for The Aztecs. No public money would be used.
Why not just play at petco? 

Not sure how his contract is structured but seems to me he will have 80 million reasons to stick around after two years.
Gruden has said he won`t take the money if he can`t get it done.  All that means though is "Hey we owe you 80..will you take 40 to walk?"

The Raiders brought in Gruden for the same reason they brought in Marshawn, marketing to put butts in the seats during their last days in Oakland.

The difference between the two is that Marshawn can still bring it.

Was such a dumb move, who thought there was any chance of this working? I'm from SD although no longer live there but my friends say that anyone who is still a Charger fan in that town is basically shamed. SD HATES LA. They could have moved anywhere else and they would have kept a better following and maybe even been welcome back but to move to LA was such a slap in the face to the fans. 

Moving them to Mexico is actually a great solution but not many players are going to want to live there. 

Ilov80s said:
Portland maybe? Oklahoma City? San Antonio? 
There is not a more fair weather group of fans than Cowboy fans.

I would get a HUGE kick out of watching the large population of Cowboy "fans" in San Antonio flip flop between teams based on record or result every week/year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portland or OKC sounds good. Not sure Texas needs yet another team. 
Yeah, I was just looking at top metro areas based on population. And even though they are the same state, the distance from SA to Houston is basically the same as Detroit to Cleveland and the distance from SA to Dallas is twice that. 

Like saying the Northeast (all of it) shouldn't have 3 teams.
California has four, for now. The Raiders aren't leaving due to lack of a fan base. Oakland and their tax base, wisely won't pay for a stadium and Davis can't afford one.

The Chargers should suck it up, do a full on mea culpa and go back to SD. The town will forgive and a stadium deal will, eventually be reached. Unlike Oakland, San Diego is a legit tourist destination (sorry Oakland got nothing but mad love for.you but it's true) and some kind of hotel tax can be the primary driver to finance the deal... providing the surviving Spanos's get their collective heads out of their ###es and pony up. Unlike Mark Davis, they can afford it.

BoltNlava said:
This isn't true. The upcoming vote isn't either one measure or the other. They are being voted on seperately, and both will fail to get the necessary votes. And the SDSU West measure has language in to have a NFL team share the stadium. angauge put there to get votes from hopeful Chargers fans. But like I said, it will not get enough votes. Nothing will happen. This is San Diego where nothing gets done. 

This isn't true. The upcoming vote isn't either one measure or the other. They are being voted on desperately, and both will fail to get the necessary votes. And the SDSU West measure has language in to have a NFL team share the stadium. angauge put there to get votes from hopeful Chargers fans. But like I said, it will not get enough votes. Nothing will happen. This is San Diego where nothing gets done. 
We neighbors?

This isn't true. The upcoming vote isn't either one measure or the other. They are being voted on desperately, and both will fail to get the necessary votes. And the SDSU West measure has language in to have a NFL team share the stadium. angauge put there to get votes from hopeful Chargers fans. But like I said, it will not get enough votes. Nothing will happen. This is San Diego where nothing gets done. 
Ok ..not what I'm hearing but you seem so sure...so... ok

I'm an old Charger (Padres) fan from the 70's.  And here is what some of us feel.  

1. We would take the Chargers back, but only with a new owner, period.

2. We would take the Raiders, gladly.

3. We don't need Pro Football,  we are Ameria's finest city, thanks for coming, now go home. 

4. We love the Padres, but man they suck. 

Swamp

I'm an old Charger (Padres) fan from the 70's.  And here is what some of us feel.  

1. We would take the Chargers back, but only with a new owner, period.

2. We would take the Raiders, gladly.

3. We don't need Pro Football,  we are Ameria's finest city, thanks for coming, now go home. 

4. We love the Padres, but man they suck. 

Swamp
The Padres were a MAJOR  reason the Charger Stadium failed. The padres promised a competing major league team that would be in the fight for the pennant every year. Then they trotted out AAA teams year after year. Last place team with the one of the most atmospheric stadiums in the league doesn't cut it. Just puts money in the pockets of billionaires once again.  That soured anything that could happen with the Charger stadium. Not that anyone in San Diego loves Spanos...It's just that if  Petco was what was promised the voters would most likely  forgave Spanos of his mismanagement of OUR team (lol) and voted yes. 

Users who are viewing this thread