What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Herndon TE Jets (1 Viewer)

Dynasty league? Do it now.

He's a good stash in redraft leagues, as well. Even if you're ok there, productive TEs bring good trade value.

Herndon is more of a long-term play, but he's got a high ceiling.
I’m assuming redraft because even with the suspension I can’t imagine he’s on waivers in a dynasty league.

He’s not back until Week 6 because the jets have a Week 4 bye. I think you can wait at least a week for him in redraft unless you have large rosters. 

Drafted him shortly after waiting on TE and landing Hooper.  I think the guy could be a Top 3 TE 2nd half of the season after the suspension and the Jets get healthy again.  We have to carry 2 TE's and if there is such a thing as a Lottery Tix TE this might be the guy.  Go get him if he is on your WW

Drafted him shortly after waiting on TE and landing Hooper.  I think the guy could be a Top 3 TE 2nd half of the season after the suspension and the Jets get healthy again.  We have to carry 2 TE's and if there is such a thing as a Lottery Tix TE this might be the guy.  Go get him if he is on your WW
Ironically, one of the things I was thinking about was the pre-draft notion that outside the big three, the TE's were meh...  Now, only one week into the season, there seems to be an abundance of quality options around the league.  Hockensen had a big debut.  Engram was huge now that OBJ has left town.  Mark Andrews is in the right place at the right time.  Delanie Walker is healthy and productive.  Darren Waller has a big role as the second receiver with the loss of Brown.  Hooper, Olsen, etc. putting up numbers.

I like Herndon as a dark horse.  But a Top 3 option?

Ironically, one of the things I was thinking about was the pre-draft notion that outside the big three, the TE's were meh...  Now, only one week into the season, there seems to be an abundance of quality options around the league.  Hockensen had a big debut.  Engram was huge now that OBJ has left town.  Mark Andrews is in the right place at the right time.  Delanie Walker is healthy and productive.  Darren Waller has a big role as the second receiver with the loss of Brown.  Hooper, Olsen, etc. putting up numbers.

I like Herndon as a dark horse.  But a Top 3 option?
Well, that was my thinking at draft time.  I will still stand by this thought process until I see some of these others produce for more than one week.  Long season and will be fun to see play out.

:blackdot:  

Weeks 9-14 in 2018 his Rookie Season...

28 Targets, 20 Receptions, 251 yds, unfortunately none of his 4 scores came during this streak. Those numbers don't jump off the page but Gase is more of an offense coach than the last guy. Darnold has not been given a chance to showcase much, the illness really came at an inopportune time. That said, it stands to reason with a very below average receiving corp that Herndon will see a lot of passes near the LOS to say 5-10 yds down the field and could easily haul in 5-6 balls a week over a stretch as the Jets will be playing form behind likely...at least in the 2nd half of several of their games.

I'm optimistic Herndon will score a couple in his 3-4 games back. I might not start him the 1st week but I believe Herndon will make it easy for owners to want to play him. The U has sent so many TEs into the NFL, this one id not like the others and I don't believe Herndon is as explosive as many of his previous alumni but I can see him being used a lot when he returns, nobody has taken his job from him. 

Ok, brass tacks. Give a Top 10 TE rankings ROS.

Where does Herndon fall?

Is he a better option than Hunter Henry who is doing indiv work. He should be back by week 7 or 8? For those looking at waiver after week 5.  

Where does Herndon fall?

Is he a better option than Hunter Henry who is doing indiv work. He should be back by week 7 or 8? For those looking at waiver after week 5.  
Hunter Henry was put on injured reserve, think there are rules or a certain week he is out...maybe Week 8 is the soonest? I'm not saying he isn't well on the road to recovery from his injury but even if he is ahead of schedule I think the IR-designation means something. 

Hunter Henry was put on injured reserve, think there are rules or a certain week he is out...maybe Week 8 is the soonest? I'm not saying he isn't well on the road to recovery from his injury but even if he is ahead of schedule I think the IR-designation means something. 
No, he wasn't.   There were some initial reports expecting him to placed on IR, but they didn't do it.  

tackle for loss said:

Where does Herndon fall?

I'd probably prefer Herndon to Henry for 3 reasons:

1. Herndon is back next week, Henry might be, but that can't be assumed.

2. Henry is unlikely to be 100% when he returns, where as Herndon is.

3. Herndon could potentially be the Jets top pass catcher, certainly can't say that for Henry.

The only case Henry has over Herndon is being part of an offense that will likely finish with many more passing TD's.

ETA: I'd kind of compare it to the difference between Darren Waller and Will Dissly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably prefer Herndon to Henry for 3 reasons:

1. Herndon is back next week, Henry might be, but that can't be assumed.

2. Henry is unlikely to be 100% when he returns, where as Herndon is.

3. Herndon could potentially be the Jets top pass catcher, certainly can't say that for Henry.

The only case Henry has over Herndon is being part of an offense that will likely finish with many more passing TD's.

ETA: I'd kind of compare it to the difference between Darren Waller and Will Dissly. 
Henry averaged 60 yards and a TD when he started. He has a way better QB and the Chargers offense is hurting for receivers. Rivers loves his tight ends. If Henry can come back healthy, I'd rather have him.

tackle for loss said:
Hunter Henry is not on IR.

-fish- said:
No, he wasn't.   There were some initial reports expecting him to placed on IR, but they didn't do it.  
No ####?! 

Honestly kids, I can only deal with what I read, my apologies...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/chargers-hunter-henry-placed-on-injured-reserve-after-knee-fracture

:shrug:

I was allowed to make a TE move based on the IR news...meaning I leapfrogged everyone a couple weeks back and grabbed Dissly, I feel bad now. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's weird how both sides can be right on a factual move...we have to go on what we see on M/T b4 waivers on Wed. 

Thanks for the info, hope my link will also make you understand my POV.

Herndon won't be playing this week. He's back in Week Six, not Week Five. They had a bye week during his suspension, which doesn't count as a game.

Anyway, he comes back Week Six. That is all. 

I think they have him at like 3.8 points. An NFL suspension can't hold him down
It's like when I would get suspended in hockey for fighting. I just wore someone else's jersey the next game.  He'll wear someone else's jersey and share the points with him.

Jets coach Adam Gase said he needs to evaluate Chris Herndon in practice before activating him to the 53-man roster.

Journeyman TE Ryan Griffin has been used on 93 percent of New York's offensive snaps this year as the Jets have clearly struggled without both Sam Darnold and Herndon. The latter's eligible to return following his four game suspension this week, but Gase is hesitant to activate the 23-year-old until he sees him in practice. Although it's likely coach speak, it can't go overlooked as this is also a team that's made no significant changes or progress on offense all season. Herndon still needs to be universally added across waiver wires.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Oct 7, 2019, 2:30 PM ET

Picked him up in a TE premium league as a what the heck flier in case Greg Olson doesn’t come out of this funk or gets hurt again. Hoping for that late season production the Jets had last season.  Will be curious to see Herndons usage assuming Darnold comes back in the next 2 weeks. Anyone starting him week 6 assuming he’s cleared and active? Thinking it’s pretty risky.  

Picked him up in a TE premium league as a what the heck flier in case Greg Olson doesn’t come out of this funk or gets hurt again. Hoping for that late season production the Jets had last season.  Will be curious to see Herndons usage assuming Darnold comes back in the next 2 weeks. Anyone starting him week 6 assuming he’s cleared and active? Thinking it’s pretty risky.  
I’ll be starting him if he’s playing.  Don’t really have a choice

Darnold said yesterday he expects to be cleared today.

TE is dire for most people and even if you were fortunate enough to draft Waller or Evan Engram they won't be helping you this week.

Not sure why Gase is talking his nonsense and I have no idea why but Herndon has been allowed to be in the building during his suspension. Not like he's been away from the team in Cabo for a month or something.

He's going to be a huge part of what they do, unless you got some kind of Kelce, Andrews, Hooper,  Ertz, Dissly or Kittle and don't have room to start two TE's he should be in your lineup now.

Darnold cleared to start just now so that does lean towards a positive influence for Herndon if he is also cleared by Gase. 

dnurk said:
I picked him up after week 3 and 100% will play him if Gase doesn't do something stupid.  OJ Howard is my other option.

I guess I’ll go contrarian here. Iirc the Jets were short at WR & RB last year, plus they were playing from behind? They get a chance at a reset this week - Bell, Crowder, Anderson & DThomas, together with Darnold. Plus a couple defensive starters maybe? And game 1 was a tough gauge as Buf is a damn good defense.

Cons: Hasn't seen the field yet, good in one sense that he is 100% unlike many of his surrounding cast but the fact is he hasn't seen any game action in a new offense with a new coach already on the hot seat going 0-4 and the team he left is also 0-4, so the pressure is huge. 

You're banking on Sam Darnold who's biggest fan might be Colin Cowherd, not sure that's a good thing. 

Herndon had some nice stats as a rookie, you're hoping he makes a big leap in year 2, that's not a sure thing. Many players regress and they spent $50M+ on a RB, he might be asked to run block more than we care to admit. 

Several things have line up for Herndon to be a good option. What are folks hoping for in terms of targets? The Phins didn't have great TE production under Gase as I recall, why will this be different? 

Cons: Hasn't seen the field yet, good in one sense that he is 100% unlike many of his surrounding cast but the fact is he hasn't seen any game action in a new offense with a new coach already on the hot seat going 0-4 and the team he left is also 0-4, so the pressure is huge. 

You're banking on Sam Darnold who's biggest fan might be Colin Cowherd, not sure that's a good thing. 

Herndon had some nice stats as a rookie, you're hoping he makes a big leap in year 2, that's not a sure thing. Many players regress and they spent $50M+ on a RB, he might be asked to run block more than we care to admit. 

Several things have line up for Herndon to be a good option. What are folks hoping for in terms of targets? The Phins didn't have great TE production under Gase as I recall, why will this be different? 
My condolences on your Colin Cowherd exposure.  Get well soon.

Was not coach speak about him not playing this week, he pulled his hamstring Friday and is unlikely to play this week.

Was not coach speak about him not playing this week, he pulled his hamstring Friday and is unlikely to play this week.
Uh oh...link to this news? I better see if Everett is available. Slim pickings out there for TE's between bye and injuries.

Never mind...I just read it in the yahoo update next to his name. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh oh...link to this news?
Read it on twitter and moved on so not going back to hunt down a link but you should see it as a rotoblurb or something very soon or check twitter feed of any credible Jets beat writer. This all got reported in last 15-20 minutes. Afraid it's true.

Darnold is a con because Colin Cowherd likes him?

Chris Herndon (hamstring) is not practicing Wednesday.

Coach Adam Gase said Herndon pulled his hammy while running routes on his own last Friday. He seems doubtful at best for Week 6 against the Cowboys. Herndon was eligible to make his season debut this week after serving a four-game suspension.

-I wonder if that's why he said he needed to see him in practice...

"Hasn't seen the field yet, good in one sense that he is 100% unlike many of his surrounding cast but the fact is he hasn't seen any game action in a new offense with a new coach already on the hot seat going 0-4 and the team he left is also 0-4, so the pressure is huge"

-He's not 100%, not even close if he injured his hammy, it's one of the worst injuries to try nd gauge week in and week out...wish I woulda just kept Hunter Henry at this point. TE spot has been absolute frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread