What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New state slogan, "Honestly, it's not for everyone" (1 Viewer)

Most state slogans are dumb.

"Virginia is for lovers" What does that even mean?

"Ohio - Birthplace of Aviation"

"North Carolina - First in Flight"

If claiming a piece of flying is your biggest attraction, that doesn't say much.

"Maryland - If you're looking for a merry land, go to Maryland!" 😐

"Michigan - Pure Michigan" seems a bit redundant and non-descriptive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in Wisconsin, America's Dairy Land, our motto was "Forward".  Back in the day they had an advertising campaign "Escape to Wisconsin"  Lots of wags cut out the "to" on those bumper stickers.  My favorite alteration, and it took a few copies of the bumper sticker, was Escape to Wisconsin cos coWs is nice.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Grew up in Wisconsin, America's Dairy Land, our motto was "Forward".  Back in the day they had an advertising campaign "Escape to Wisconsin"  Lots of wags cut out the "to" on those bumper stickers.  My favorite alteration, and it took a few copies of the bumper sticker, was Escape to Wisconsin cos coWs is nice.
then they had wisconsin your among friends which people in the middle of the state made wisconsin your hmong friends becuase there is a large hmong population up there and then there was the wisconsin tourism federation which had the initials wtf so it had to change its name basically its been sort of a crap show for a while take that to the bank bromigos 

GroveDiesel said:
Most state slogans are dumb.

"Virginia is for lovers" What does that even mean?
I actually know this one. 

It was just a pure ad campaign.  

The company that came up with it did a series of ads - “Virginia is for mountain lovers” (picture of people frollicking in the mountains); “Virginia is for beach lovers” (people on a beach.)

Then it just became “Virginia is for ____ lovers.”  And then “for lovers.”

One of the most impressive ad campaigns in history. 

In Wisconsin, in the 80's, the Ojibwa reasserted their rights to hunt and fish as they pleased on their historical lands which they ceded to the Federal government in the 1800's while reserving those rights.  They did this with methods not allowed for nonindigenous peoples, shining lights at night to attract fish and then spearing fish, often during spawning season.  This angered many nonindigenous folk, read: Whites or Rednecks.  The argument was that the Ojibwa were depleting stock by harvesting during spawning season.  Things got violent, including gunplay.  A bumper sticker gained popularity.  It read: "Save a fish, spear an Indian".  

This was all embarrassing to me and I am sure others.  It also reflected a poor understanding of what was occurring.  The Ojibwas never harvested significant stocks.  Also, they had fish hatcheries on their Reservations and would stock far more than they took. My favorite incident took place on Lac de Flambeau.  Some Rednecks shot at the Ojibwa who were shining fish and then spearing them.  The Rednecks found this offensive.  I guess they did not understand the history of the lake which was named by the French for the lights out on the lake from the Ojibwa using this method, albeit with torches and not electric lights, back in the 1600's when the French first explored the area.  The French were fascinated by the lights on the lake at night and at first did not understand the origin of them.  One of my law school room mates became the D.A. in the area. He was tasked with prosecuting many of the perpetrators of the violence.  Someone put the aforementioned bumper sticker on his car to embarrass him.  It did.  I understand you can still see those bumper stickers, occasionally.

Eventually the State paid the Ojibwa, and I believe also the Menomonee to cede much, but not all, of their reserved rights.  This abated but did not eliminate the intolerance.

In Wisconsin, in the 80's, the Ojibwa reasserted their rights to hunt and fish as they pleased on their historical lands which they ceded to the Federal government in the 1800's while reserving those rights.  They did this with methods not allowed for nonindigenous peoples, shining lights and spearing fish, often during spawning season.  This angered many nonindigenous folk, read: Whites.  The argument was that the Ojibwa were depleting stock by harvesting during spawning season.  Things got violent, including gunplay.  A bumper sticker gained popularity.  It read: "Save a fish, shoot an Indian".  

This was all embarrassing to me and I am sure others.  It also reflected a poor understanding of what was occurring.  The Ojibwas never harvested significant stocks.  Also, they had fish hatcheries on their Reservations and would stock far more than they took. My favorite incident took place on Lac de Flambeau.  Some Rednecks shot at the Ojibwa who were shining fish and then spearing them.  The Rednecks found this offensive.  I guess they did not understand the history of the lake which was named by the French for the lights out on the lake from the Ojibwa using this method, albeit with torches and not electric lights, back in the 1600's when the French first explored the area.  The French were fascinated by the lights on the lake at night and at first did not understand the origin of them.  One of my law school room mates became the D.A. in the area. He was tasked with prosecuting many of the perpetrators of the violence.  Someone put the aforementioned bumper sticker on his car to embarrass him.  It did.  I understand you can still see those bumper stickers, occasionally.

Eventually the State paid the Ojibwa, and I believe also the Menomonee to cede much, but not all, of their reserved rights.  This abated but did not eliminate the intolerance.
I'm not sure I like this as much as it's a fascinating anecdote. Thanks for sharing.  

I much prefer the "Save a tree, eat a beaver" slogan.
I grew up on Beaver Lake.  Back in the early 70's when that bumper Sticker and T-shirt came out I remember some stuck up preteen kids getting the T-shirt at the State Fair.  They proudly wore them to a community picnic and their stuck up mother was proud of them, figuring it was some sort of local pride type of thing and having no idea of the meaning.  I remember a neighbor who hated that family wanting to go up to the mother and tell her what the shirts were actually referencing.  His mother had to literally physically and verbally restrain and berate him so that he did not do so.  No worries, my brother did it for him when the mother asked whether we liked her daughters shirts.  She was mortified and incredulous.  Me, I simply lost it which angered her more than just about anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread