What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated - Gordon Started - Was: Josh Gordon Disciplined For MNF - Miss A Few Series (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Update: Gordon started as normal and Belichick not surprisingly dismissed questions on this.

Here we go?

What do you think?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1057006009129013248

Sources: The #Patriots are disciplining WR Josh Gordon during tonight’s game vs. the #Bills because of tardiness. He’s expected to be kept off the field for several series — about a quarter — as they continue to work with & manage him. It’ll be regular playing time after that.
Making this it's own thread.

You think it's the beginning of something worse? Or just adjusting?

Last edited by a moderator:
If true, then he BLEW IT... AGAIN!

Gotta cut him loose. I've been a JG supporter but it always gets to the "almost there" with this guy and then he slips up time and time again.

The dude is a hell of an athlete--but he's an absolute self destructive idiot when it comes to decision making.   We all put ourselves in a position to be judged based upon the decisions we make.  You can heal a hamstring but you can't fix stupid.  SMH.  It's a shame that a grown man whose career is hanging from a thread can't figure out the most basic of things.  You show up to effing work on time. 

Apparently he's been late twice this week.

"Josh Gordon was reportedly tardy at least twice this past week leading up to Monday night's game in Buffalo.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe earlier reported Gordon was late for the Patriots' Sunday trip to Buffalo, and Kevin Duffy of the Boston Herald reported Gordon "showed up late to a meeting last week." Things suddenly seem to be trending in a bad direction for Gordon. These reports come one week after Tom Brady effusively praised Gordon for his football IQ and mastery of the playbook.

Source: Kevin Duffy on Twitter"

I would be very interested to see if the Patriots do trade for another WR.  They don't put their eggs into one basket and they will move on if this problem continues.  It's very simple.  Employer to employee.  If you're going to be late it has to be handled responsibly by seeking permission.

I was going to say that I wonder if it was a few minutes or a few hours but then I realized it doesn't really matter at this point.

I'm actually surprised that he wasn't cut instantly.

It isn't a beginning or an adjustment.  It is the continuation of terrible decision making by this guy that has been going on for years.  I hope he turns it around, but I would bet against him based on history.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats cut him before Christmas
I wouldnt be surprised if the Pats cut him before kickoff.

He knew this was his last stop.

He said he wanted to be part of Tom Brady's next milestone game... HELLO, 4 TD passes to pass Brett Fave on the Monday Night Football stage

Sony is a scratch... Gronk is not 100%... chance to make your mark.

Not a lot of good reasons for being late TWICE in the same week.

Cut him.

JG owners were fooling themselves thinking that "The Patriot Way" was going to fix this guy.

Had to suspect something was up when rumors rumbled of NE looking to trade for Damarius Thomas. 

If Pats had another option I think Gordon would already be gone.

jvdesigns2002 said:
The dude is a hell of an athlete--but he's an absolute self destructive idiot when it comes to decision making.   We all put ourselves in a position to be judged based upon the decisions we make.  You can heal a hamstring but you can't fix stupid.  SMH.  It's a shame that a grown man whose career is hanging from a thread can't figure out the most basic of things.  You show up to effing work on time. 
It is a shame but the fact that he even still has a career at all is proof he's not entirely clueless. Second, third and forth chances are directly proportional to talent and "potential" of which he has plenty. He knows it. Teams know it. You don't know which chance was your last one until they stop coming and for gordon, they haven't stopped yet.

I could go on an old man rant about kids today and how there is a near total lack of permanent consequence to their decisions but I won't.

JG owners were fooling themselves thinking that "The Patriot Way" was going to fix this guy.

Had to suspect something was up when rumors rumbled of NE looking to trade for Damarius Thomas. 

If Pats had another option I think Gordon would already be gone.
That was my hope... hoping for a Chris Carter story instead of the next Lawrence Philips (latter comparison ONLY for the fact of multiple "last chances" given to a player because of his talent level, only to see them continue to throw it away... not comparing their off-the-field issues at all).

Dude still isn't being held fully accountable.  After everything he's done and all the BS about turning over a new leaf.  It's still all about him.  Brutal to watch.

Nah, makes it worse.
Most men don't get this many chances to save their careers.  It was sad when he was a kid and made for some compelling empathy/sympathy.

He isn't a kid anymore.  He is a grown man.  Time for this to be on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Bill is trolling the Browns.  Considering they accidentally started Gordon when he was supposed to be held out of the starting lineup.

Too bad all the Browns responsible were fired today before Bill could make his taunt stick.

When asked about the report after the game, coach Bill Belichick insinuated it was made up, saying, "You have to talk to whoever wrote that. I have no idea."
Posting threads about unsubstantiated rumors used to be taboo around here.

Interestingly enough, the projections didn't change for staff.  Were they getting info from different sources or is it SOP to punt the Monday night games?

So it was fake news, which isn’t uncommon for stories that have been posted (I refuse to use the term “reported”) by Rapoport and confirmed by no one else.

I wrote this in another thread.  Copied here. 

You all know I am a stout supporter of Josh Gordon.  I did not think there was any substance to the reports initially.  Now I think that there may be some substance to the reports that there was some aggravation on the part of management at the tardiness to meetings.  It was only a few minutes.  Nothing too serious. 

Unless it continues. 

Josh needs to realize that he is accountable to the rest of the team.  BB will tolerate some things, but not when it comes to work.  That stuff is contaaaaagious.

I hate to say it, but if Josh keeps showing up late IMO he will be gone at the end of the season.  He needs to start making sure he is there early (like he did the first 3 weeks). Management likes that.

Meanwhile, IMO they need him to maintain the same role in the offense. 

BB denied the story in his presser... told the reporter asking about Josh to go find the source of the story and ask them because he had no knowledge of it.

Posting threads about unsubstantiated rumors used to be taboo around here.

Interestingly enough, the projections didn't change for staff.  Were they getting info from different sources or is it SOP to punt the Monday night games?
Changing projections for MNF is an interesting question and one we've kicked around. As a general rule, we try not to stick to what we had Sunday afternoon as it doesn't seem fair to customers to tell them something and they lock a roster Sunday afternoon and then on Monday we change our mind and they can't do anything about it. Although for the guys that had two options to choose from in a Monday night game, I can see how that might be something to consider. We'll take a look there. 

Unless something changes, I will 100% no question about it share a story from NFL.com's lead reporter, Ian Rapoport when it comes to a starting WR's playing time. Always. No question. If you think in any way shape or form we shouldn't relay information from someone like Rapoport, we'll have to disagree.

In fact, I want any news from a credible source shared here as long as you're giving the source.

I even am ok with news from just about any source as long as the poster is 100% clear about the source. If your brother "knows a guy" in the organization and heard something, share that here as long as you're crystal clear it's coming from your "brother who knows a guy". That's how we're going to operate here. 

So it was fake news, which isn’t uncommon for stories that have been posted (I refuse to use the term “reported”) by Rapoport and confirmed by no one else.
Thanks @Pip's Invitation

Do you have a list of the "fake news" stories by Rapoport he posted where nobody else went along? 

He often predicts things like playing time and will sometimes miss for sure. I don't recall him ever being accused of reporting fake news though. What stories are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread