What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR N'Keal Harry - CHI (1 Viewer)

N'Keal Harry (ankle, hamstring, toe) returned to practice Wednesday.

Harry missed a handful of practices while battling various injuries, but it looks like those absences were probably more maintenance-related than anything. The first-round rookie showed promise in Thursday's preseason opener, corralling both of his targets for 36 yards in a victory over the Lions. He and Julian Edelman are locked in as starters, though the rest of New England's pass-catching corps is up for grabs.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 10:50 AM ET

You’re more in tuned to this organization than I am. I just believe there’s more to it than they are saying. I could be paranoid, I’ve been burned by this organization before so take it for what it is.

Tex
I think BB learned a lot from his management/mismanagement of Gronk and he will put certain guys on a pitch count no matter what he tells the public. That said, I don't think he's doing that with a rookie in TC. I think he's just playing it safe and thinking longterm.

Doug Kyed @DougKyed

Harry, who isn't practicing, has multiple injuries and wasn't running with the first-team before going down can't logically be considered a projected starter as of today

(N'Keal Harry)

I'm an overweight out of shape dude in his mid 40s who lives not too far from Foxboro and I'm thinking stopping by as based on what the Pats have for WRs right now, I've got my chances. Stay tuned, I might be a good late second round/early third round pick....
Saasgaard gets invincible!

I'm an overweight out of shape dude in his mid 40s who lives not too far from Foxboro and I'm thinking stopping by as based on what the Pats have for WRs right now, I've got my chances. Stay tuned, I might be a good late second round/early third round pick....
I like your chances but I think they have too many mouths to feed to make you fantasy relevant. If (when) Edelman goes down I'll keep you on speed dial.

On Thursday, Tom Brady’s first-team wide receivers included Jakobi Meyers, Braxton Berrios, Dontrelle Inman and Gunner Olszewski, who at this time last year was a Division-II cornerback.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Big news for the Patriots, with No. 10 still available.

NFL is reinstating Patriots’ WR Josh Gordon, league source tells ESPN.

Is anyone else worried about Harry's ability to stay healthy through the season?  I mean, he's been sidelined throughout training camp with one seemingly minor injury or another.  I just have visions of him being a fantastic receiver for the 3-4 games he gets to play this year.  

I can't believe this guy is still being drafted in the first round of rookie drafts as he has been surpassed by an UDFA in Meyers. 

Evan Silva

N’Keal Harry struggled to find his footing throughout minicamp/OTAs and the early part of training camp. He redeemed himself somewhat on two impressive back-shoulder catches in New England’s preseason opener, only to suffer turf toe in the game. Missing practice with Tom Brady is concerning because it prevented TB12 from building chemistry with the Patriots’ rookie receiver, especially since Harry relies on timing and trust in contested situations rather than separation as the foundation of his game. Josh Gordon’s surprisingly-early reinstatement put the final fork in Harry as a re-draft pick.

I think BB learned a lot from his management/mismanagement of Gronk and he will put certain guys on a pitch count no matter what he tells the public. That said, I don't think he's doing that with a rookie in TC. I think he's just playing it safe and thinking longterm.
Could be but this organization has a truth issue when it comes to their players. I still believe that there’s more to this story and they are using injury as the scapegoat. I hope I’m wrong but I’m passing on him unless something miraculous happens between now and draft day but I’m not holding my breath.

Tex

Could be but this organization has a truth issue when it comes to their players. I still believe that there’s more to this story and they are using injury as the scapegoat. I hope I’m wrong but I’m passing on him unless something miraculous happens between now and draft day but I’m not holding my breath.

Tex
Even if Harry were 100% healthy, people should be passing on Harry in redraft leagues. I don't see why anyone would want the fourth guy for targets on the NE receiving tree. AT BEST, he would come after Edelman, White, and Gordon. As I have outlined several times, NE rookie receivers the past 20 years have essentially been irrelevant fantasy wise. Add in Harry's injuries, lack of practice, and inability to build chemistry and he should be a hard pass as a draft option. Depending how things play out, he may be worth a late season add, but there are better places to spent redraft picks.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss 

With Demaryius Thomas activated, here is my view of WR spot, (projection to keep 6):

Julian Edelman

Josh Gordon (NFI)

N'Keal Harry

Demaryius Thomas

Phillip Dorsett

Jakobi Meyers

Maurice Harris

Braxton Berrios

Gunner Olszewski

Damoun Patterson

Ryan Davis

(Cameron Meredith - NFI)

Even if Harry were 100% healthy, people should be passing on Harry in redraft leagues. I don't see why anyone would want the fourth guy for targets on the NE receiving tree. AT BEST, he would come after Edelman, White, and Gordon. As I have outlined several times, NE rookie receivers the past 20 years have essentially been irrelevant fantasy wise. Add in Harry's injuries, lack of practice, and inability to build chemistry and he should be a hard pass as a draft option. Depending how things play out, he may be worth a late season add, but there are better places to spent redraft picks.
Sorry I didn’t make it clear, I’m speaking from a Dynasty perspective nevertheless I agree.

Tex

I can't believe this guy is still being drafted in the first round of rookie drafts as he has been surpassed by an UDFA in Meyers. 
This.  

Harry didn't do anything in college.  His numbers are inflated by a slew of jump balls that were all luck.  At only 6'4 225, I don't think he has the size to play with physical NFL CB's.  All stud fantasy WR's dominate from their rookie year.  See Moss, Randy.  

If I were in a rookie draft say tomorrow night, (which is ironically when mine is)  I wouldn't want any piece of Harry until at least 1.09 (which just happens to be where I pick).

In all seriousness:

He was my favorite WR coming out.  I think he was the favorite of most of this board.  If this kid winds up in a good situation--watch out.  

The concern for everybody over and over again:  He's going to wind up in Baltimore where they run it 500 times and Lamar Jackson can't throw.  

Instead--he winds up on the Patriots catching passes from the GOAT.  He struggles early, so we just forget everything we loved about him.  We decide we no longer care that the Ravens didn't take him.  

Expecting a very uneven rookie campaign. Happy to add him in dynasty startups. Also happy to add him in bestball/year long total points type leagues as a very late pick. Not sure why anyone would count on him for weekly production as a rookie. Only the very top RBs should ever be counted on that way...and then with caution/handcuffs

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Mike Reiss said it's "fair to wonder" if N'Keal Harry (ankle, hamstring, toe) will be available for Week 1 against the Steelers.

Harry hasn't been a full participant at practice since suffering an injury in the Patriots' preseason opener. In the limited practice reps he's received, Harry "hasn't passed the eye test in terms of looking comfortable," which has to be a concern with opening night just two weeks away. Already dealt a critical blow to his target share by the return of Josh Gordon, the first-round rookie has quickly gone from a mid-round staple to a late-round afterthought in fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 25, 2019, 10:23 AM ET

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe suggested K'Keal Harry (ankle, hamstring, toe) could be a candidate for injured reserve.

Beat reporter Mike Reiss of ESPN recently hinted that Harry could be a spectator for Week 1 following an injury-plagued summer and not looking "comfortable" at recent practices. Now Volin is painting an even bleaker picture, suggesting the first-round rookie might not be available until midseason. Harry's fantasy stock has been plummeting since Josh Gordon's reinstatement and obviously the uncertainty surrounding his various injuries isn't helping matters. He's merely a late-round stash, and a risky one at that.

SOURCE: Ben Volin on Twitter

Sep 1, 2019, 10:58 AM ET

More than likely they put Harry on the IR Designated to Return list, which means he can be activated after Week 8. I doubt he is on season long IR, but no one has reported which one he is on so far. (If it were season ending IR, they could have done that before naming a 53-man roster).

More than likely they put Harry on the IR Designated to Return list, which means he can be activated after Week 8. I doubt he is on season long IR, but no one has reported which one he is on so far. (If it were season ending IR, they could have done that before naming a 53-man roster).
I'm pretty sure everyone is assuming it's the Week 8 one. That's what everyone is saying or implying. 

Is it week 8 or week 6?
The earliest a player with an IR Return Designation can come back is Week 9 (in this case - essentially it's the 9th week after going on IR-DR as it doesn't have to always be starting at the first week). Most reporters are clueless on this stuff. They are confusing it with PUP or NFI. Both of those a player has to miss the first 6 weeks.

There is no longer a separate designation.  Anyone who was placed on IR after the 53-man roster was finalized (or throughout the season) is potentially eligible to return after 8 weeks.  The limit is now on how many times the team can do this (I believe 2?), but the player to return no longer has to be specified at the time of the injury (which is so smart it should have been done that way all along).

There is no longer a separate designation.  Anyone who was placed on IR after the 53-man roster was finalized (or throughout the season) is potentially eligible to return after 8 weeks.  The limit is now on how many times the team can do this (I believe 2?), but the player to return no longer has to be specified at the time of the injury (which is so smart it should have been done that way all along).
Only players on the original 53-man roster placed on IR can be brought back. Anyone put on IR from the 90-man roster can't return until the following season. But you are correct that a team no longer needs to declare who is coming back at the time the player was put on IR.

So the general assumption was that Harry was on the 53-man roster and place on IR, but I have not seen an official version of that reported yet.

I'm not too surprised with this move. The Patriots have enough depth with Edelman, Gordon, and Dorsett at WR along with James White coming out of the backfield that they didn't need to press an injured N'Keal Harry onto the field if they didn't have to. Belichick often plays for the long term and has constantly stated that Year 2 is when he expects the majority of his rookie players to make the big jump to NFL viability. I expect Harry to have some decent year end production and really make some noise next season.

Man, what a bummer. Curse of NE Highly Drafted WR striking again. As a Pats fan and 1.2 dynasty owner, I'm not holding my breath. I mean pretty much everything has broken wrong for Harry since he got here. Gordon back. UDFA WR shining in camp. Nagging injuries. 2019 is a total red shirt year and now you gotta hope for Year 2 jump.

But how top rookies have been lost to injuries their first year and then produced? At any position really. Mike Williams seems to be the only guy in recent memory. Maybe Dalvin Cook will finally as well. But odds are highly stacked against him at this point.

But how top rookies have been lost to injuries their first year and then produced? At any position really. Mike Williams seems to be the only guy in recent memory. Maybe Dalvin Cook will finally as well. But odds are highly stacked against him at this point.
Derrius Guice is about to break out.

Man, what a bummer. Curse of NE Highly Drafted WR striking again. As a Pats fan and 1.2 dynasty owner, I'm not holding my breath. I mean pretty much everything has broken wrong for Harry since he got here. Gordon back. UDFA WR shining in camp. Nagging injuries. 2019 is a total red shirt year and now you gotta hope for Year 2 jump.

It isn't a good way to start your career. In the last twenty year, 7 receivers taken in the first round of the NFL draft didn't start 1 game as a rookie, either from injury or other reasons.  The only one who went on to have a good career was Santana Moss.   Now at this point we don't know how many games, if any, Harry will start this year. He could game  back week 9 and be game busters. But that isn't likely and at this point I would be surprised to see him start one game, which would put him in this group.

http://pfref.com/tiny/ZhGHn

It isn't a good way to start your career. In the last twenty year, 7 receivers taken in the first round of the NFL draft didn't start 1 game as a rookie, either from injury or other reasons.  The only one who went on to have a good career was Santana Moss.   Now at this point we don't know how many games, if any, Harry will start this year. He could game  back week 9 and be game busters. But that isn't likely and at this point I would be surprised to see him start one game, which would put him in this group.

Didnt Odell Beckham miss some games at the start?

Right, but he did miss game 1 as your post relates to.

My bad, misread 
Right.  I didn't have ability to see who started year on IR or PUP and missed 8 games.  That would be most comparable. At this point we don't know how many games Harry will miss.  We don't know if he will start any. This search assumes he doesn't start any games, based on Gordon, Edelman and Thomas in front of him and him starting year on IR and missing most of off season/preseason.  

If he comes back week 9 and starts all 8 games in the second half, the optimal outcome, then his cohort looks much better.

http://pfref.com/tiny/bIdht

Thank you for taking the time to quantify my instinct. So we really need to hope he comes in midseason and shows something, otherwise flip him to a value stick buyer in off season. 

Users who are viewing this thread