What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No finger guns in school ?? (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
So apparently my son and a few kids were playing finger guns in after care pretending it was Fortnite. The after care counselor told me he's not in trouble but if I can talk to him about no finger guns in school. I just said ok ill talk to him but kind of rolled my eyes inside. Kids used to play cops and robbers for years and now they can't even point finger guns. Is this what our society has become? I talked to him in the car and told him he's not in trouble and I don't really care if he does it, just don't do it in school anymore? Bad life lesson? I don't care I just got to be honest with my boy.

The wink + double finger guns are still allowed in the workplace, right?

This kid was a menace.

Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Judge Ronald A. Silkworth ruled this week that the school system could reasonably consider that the boy’s actions in March 2013 were disruptive and that a suspension was appropriate, due to the boy’s past behavioral issues, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

I wish I was shocked by this, but I am not.

Be a great dad tonight and have a great game of cops and robbers with the boy! 

I think I'm fine with this.  

I know, I know, BUT WE DID IT WHEN WE WERE KIDS AND WE TURNED OUT OKAY!  We also didn't use car seats, that doesn't mean they are a bad idea.

I don't know, let's see if we can go a month without a school shooting and then we can talk about easing up on the overreactions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So apparently my son and a few kids were playing finger guns in after care pretending it was Fortnite. The after care counselor told me he's not in trouble but if I can talk to him about no finger guns in school. I just said ok ill talk to him but kind of rolled my eyes inside. Kids used to play cops and robbers for years and now they can't even point finger guns. Is this what our society has become? I talked to him in the car and told him he's not in trouble and I don't really care if he does it, just don't do it in school anymore? Bad life lesson? I don't care I just got to be honest with my boy.
Sorry. People can’t fight for their rights to have AR-15s everywhere and at the same time fight for their right to make jokes about shootings in school anymore. Because it turns out the Venn diagram showing AR-15s and schools is showing more and more overlap over time. 

But it doesn’t matter because guns don’t kill people, people kill people. 

Seriously though. Sorry for your inconvenience, but in this world, it’s good smart policy given all the morons out there. 

I think I'm fine with this.  

I know, I know, BUT WE DID IT WHEN WE WERE KIDS AND WE TURNED OUT OKAY!  We also didn't use car seats, that doesn't mean they are a bad idea.

I don't know, let's see if we can go a month without a school shooting and then we can talk about easing up on the overreactions. 
This times a thousand. 

Stunned but not stunned at people in here all going bananas over this. 

I would say how I really feel but it would probably get me a ban, though probably not since Dodd’s won’t be watching since this isn’t directly mentioning his president. 

This world has gone totally insane. 

Stunned but not stunned at people in here all going bananas over this. 

I would say how I really feel but it would probably get me a ban, though probably not since Dodd’s won’t be watching since this isn’t directly mentioning his president. 

This world has gone totally insane. 
BANG! BANG! 

Sorry. People can’t fight for their rights to have AR-15s everywhere and at the same time fight for their right to make jokes about shootings in school anymore. Because it turns out the Venn diagram showing AR-15s and schools is showing more and more overlap over time. 

But it doesn’t matter because guns don’t kill people, people kill people. 

Seriously though. Sorry for your inconvenience, but in this world, it’s good smart policy given all the morons out there. 
My 9 year old son and his friends weren't making jokes about school shootings when they were doing this. They were playing pretend Fortnite. Context matters.

A young suburbanite named shadyrdr jr grew restless at school
A boy filled with wanderlust who really meant no harm
He changed his clothes and shined his boots
And combed his dark hair down
And his mother cried as he walked out

Don't take your finger guns to school son
Leave your finger guns at home shady jr
Don't take your finger guns to school

He laughed and kissed his mom
And said your shady's a man
I can shoot as quick and straight as anybody can
But I wouldn't shoot without a cause
I'd gun nobody down
But she cried again as he rode away

Leave your finger guns at home shady

He sang a song as on he rode
His finger guns hung at his arms
He rode into an after care school
A smile upon his lips
He stopped and walked into a juice bar
And laid his money down
But his mother's words echoed again

He drank his first apple juice then to calm his shaking hand
And tried to tell himself he had become a man
A dusty cowpoke at his side began to laugh him down
And he heard again his mothers words

Filled with rage then
Shady jr reached for his finger guns to draw
But the stranger drew his finger guns and fired
Before he even saw
As shady jr fell to the floor
The crowd all gathered 'round
And wondered at his final words

My 9 year old son and his friends weren't making jokes about school shootings when they were doing this. They were playing pretend Fortnite. Context matters.
He also didn't get in any trouble.  The counselor just asked you to talk to him about it.     :shrug:  

I was sitting in traffic yesterday when the kid in the lane to the left of me was pointing a finger gun at me. He was in the back seat with his window rolled down. I would guess he was about 7 or 8. I think younger kids in the backs of cars or buses messing with people in traffic is almost always funny. So this kid gives me the finger gun with pulling the trigger action. I roll down my window and just stare deep into his soul with a deadpan look. We were sitting in traffic for a bit so I had some time. Kid starts finger shooting me again but sees me staring at him. He does it again but with less joy and some nervousness creeping into his face. I continue the stare that may steal his soul and he gets more nervous and stops. Traffic starts moving and as I pass I see him looking out his window at me. I gave him the finger gun and started laughing. He then seemed to catch on I was messing with him and became less nervous. All of this is going on as the adults in the front seat of the kids car are staring at phones and are clueless about anything the kid is doing. Hilarious!!! 

I talked to him in the car and told him he's not in trouble and I don't really care if he does it, just don't do it in school anymore? Bad life lesson? I don't care I just got to be honest with my boy.

Not at all a bad life lesson. The earlier he learns that society dictates that certain words and actions are fine in some situations but not others the better off he'll be. 

Ok now stop being so defensive of your son and keep in mind that these days people have to take seriously any issue re: guns in a school whatsoever.   You don't want the lunchlady being the one to have to make the judgement call about whether or not something a kid said or did re: guns is a joke, and whether it should be ignored.  And I wouldn't want to be the teacher who decided it was ok to ignore a seemingly small issue at the time and a week later the kid walks into school with a real gun.  

You're right, context matters.  Turn on the news.

I'm going to say that consensual use of finger guns in a game is more than allowable, pointing a finger gun at a kid out of anger, as a threat, not allowable.  This is, for me, not a bridge I care to die on.  To me this is an insignificant matter.

This happened awhile ago. I was in HS after Columbine and the school threatened to suspend anyone doing the finger gun.

Ok now stop being so defensive of your son and keep in mind that these days people have to take seriously any issue re: guns in a school whatsoever.   You don't want the lunchlady being the one to have to make the judgement call about whether or not something a kid said or did re: guns is a joke, and whether it should be ignored.  And I wouldn't want to be the teacher who decided it was ok to ignore a seemingly small issue at the time and a week later the kid walks into school with a real gun.  

I agree, zero tolerance things kind of suck but we don't want people having to make these tough calls. Which finger gun was kids playing around and which was a kid threatening/implying he wants to kill another kid. I know one might say they are just kids but I've worked in elementary classrooms for kids with severe behavioral problems and there are kids in early elementary who do want to inflict pain on others. One kid who was in maybe 3rd grade told me when he got old enough he was going to hammer nails into his shoes and stomp faces. 

The Venn diagram between school shootings, finger guns, and Chutes and Ladders is showing more and more overlap over time.  One out of every 10K elementary school finger gun perpetrators ends up joining the NRA.  Let that sink in for a bit.  Fortnite is a product of the devil.

What if the gender neutral lunch person allowed a finger gun to go unpunished and that kid later shot an AR-15?  Could that lunch person ever scoop over cooked vegetables or serve banana quarters again?  I’m sorry you are inconvenienced, but helicopter parenting saves non-specialized food service careers.

Turn on the news man.  People don’t kill people, finger pointing kills people.  

Who is the person that makes the decision on which pretend shootings are fine and which aren't? What pretend acts of violence are ok and what aren't? I get your point, but also I know in our elementary schools we have young kids who have gone home terrified this week after we practiced our school shooter drills. Could a younger student see it and be confused by it maybe? 

I agree, zerp tolerance things kind of suck but we don't want people having to make these tough calls. Which finger gun was kids playing around and which was a kid threatening/implying he wants to kill another kid. I know one might say they are just kids but I've worked in elementary classrooms for kids with severe behavioral problems and there are kids in early elementary who do want to inflict pain on others. One kid who was in maybe 3rd grade told me when he got old enough he was going to hammer nails into his shoes and stomp faces. 
Zero tolerance is part of the problem.  If school professionals feel uncomfortable making tough decisions maybe they should pick a career option that doesn’t require much responsibility.

Are you qualified to tell the difference between playing and a kid with behavioral problems threatening to kill someone?  I think you are.

Zero tolerance is part of the problem.  If school professionals feel uncomfortable making tough decisions maybe they should pick a career option that doesn’t require much responsibility.

Are you qualified to tell the difference between playing and a kid with behavioral problems threatening to kill someone?  I think you are.
I am, but what if I didn't witness it? What if it's another kid that saw it? A lunch mom? A bus driver? 

I am not always a fan of zero tolerance but in this case it is fine because their is no punishment being placed on the student. 

The counselor is the one who told me they were playing pretend Fortnite

How many school professionals chose to be school professionals?  All the teachers I know ( 4 at the moment) were in finance or other areas until the economic collapse 8-ish years back and then took a job teaching until things turned back around.  Of course they’re still there. 

Who is the person that makes the decision on which pretend shootings are fine and which aren't? What pretend acts of violence are ok and what aren't? I get your point, but also I know in our elementary schools we have young kids who have gone home terrified this week after we practiced our school shooter drills. Could a younger student see it and be confused by it maybe? 
Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post but the very first thing the counselor said to me was they were all playing pretend Fortnite so she knew the exact intent of the finger guns.

I'm a gun guy, and while initially I rolled my eyes at this, after some reflection, I get this. Pretending to shoot guns at each other in school is poor form and should be discouraged. I'd also look into cutting back the fortnight play. Considering the topic and goals of the game, is that appropriate for a 9 year old?

School seems kind of weird place for it.  I don't remember anyone running around playing gun-type games (of the cowboy-indian/cops-robbers variety) in school when I was younger.  But the only video game options may have been things like Oregon Trail, and it's not like people would have been enthusiastically shouting out "I'll be the dysentery guy!"

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post but the very first thing the counselor said to me was they were all playing pretend Fortnite so she knew the exact intent of the finger guns.
Still, other kids could see it and not understand it and be scared. I think @TheFanatic put it well. Is pretending to shoot and kill each other in public really what we want small children doing? 

Still, other kids could see it and not understand it and be scared. I think @TheFanatic put it well. Is pretending to shoot and kill each other in public really what we want small children doing? 
That's fair. I guess my answer to that is I have no problem with my son playing cops and robbers in public so I have no issues with it. I just told him not to do it in school anymore.

I'm a gun guy, and while initially I rolled my eyes at this, after some reflection, I get this. Pretending to shoot guns at each other in school is poor form and should be discouraged. I'd also look into cutting back the fortnight play. Considering the topic and goals of the game, is that appropriate for a 9 year old?
Everyone can raise their kids the way they want. I don't judge. The cartoon violence of the game does not bother me. The addictive nature of it does and I have cut it back for him.

Users who are viewing this thread