What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sorry, fixed — Neat parenting, particular Georgia high school parents (1 Viewer)

1.  Just a really sad display of a lack of good values and common sense... I hope they get a strict punishment.

2.  I don't get the schtick of lumping an entire state together for anything, let alone something deplorable like this.

i want so badly to beliveve that we are better than this but then wow just effn wow take that to the bank brohans 

Gawain said:
No kidding. I grew up in New England and spent lots of time in the big cities up there. Nothing but love for black people. I’m surprised that Atlanta is actually considered a great place for African-Americans: https://www.theroot.com/forbes-10-cities-where-african-americans-are-doing-the-1822124807

I didn’t see Boston or NYC on that list and I know I’ve seen other lists mentioning Atlanta as a top spot. Heck, I know that athletes in the news about kneeling are always from those cities, oh wait that’s right it was my Panthers who signed Eric Reid.

The whole racism is in the South only is so dumb and untrue. Civil War isn’t still happening even though you think it is.

Is anyone hopeful enough to think this is a mistake? 

Why would they do that? That seems so far off...

I can't imagine. But then again...

Is anyone hopeful enough to think this is a mistake? 

Why would they do that? That seems so far off...

I can't imagine. But then again...
It could be. It would be pretty easy to find out. Those letters are 100% part of the mascot name so it’s not out of the question that they were in that order and forgot to take them off. That said it seemed like the principal sort of confirmed it wasn’t an accident.

It could be. It would be pretty easy to find out. Those letters are 100% part of the mascot name so it’s not out of the question that they were in that order and forgot to take them off. That said it seemed like the principal sort of confirmed it wasn’t an accident.
Yeah, sounds that way. But Duke lacrosse and all...I don't trust administrators when PR comes to town.  

Guess I just hope, that's all. It seems to me that there's a lot of evil in the world I don't get and maybe I'm just being naive.  

Why is it that media & journalists are scared to spell out the word and uncensor the photo? Displaying the word in a news article doesn't make the website racists. 

2.  I don't get the schtick of lumping an entire state together for anything, let alone something deplorable like this.
And if you think about it, broad stroke generalizations like this is the very trait of racial discrimination. That mentality is wrong in itself.

Why is it that media & journalists are scared to spell out the word and uncensor the photo? Displaying the word in a news article doesn't make the website racists. 
Dude, as Berkeley Breathed said, you can't do race in America unless you're in a black comedy club. I take his words as shibboleth.  

They want no part of that slur in case of complaints.  

I was expecting the whole marching band to be standing in a pattern.  kind of disappointed frankly. 

There's no time or place for a divisive term like that.  Especially when America is so divided.  Had the band members merely changed the C to a P they could have given us a unifying term that we all agree we love.

No kidding. I grew up in New England and spent lots of time in the big cities up there. Nothing but love for black people. I’m surprised that Atlanta is actually considered a great place for African-Americans: https://www.theroot.com/forbes-10-cities-where-african-americans-are-doing-the-1822124807

I didn’t see Boston or NYC on that list and I know I’ve seen other lists mentioning Atlanta as a top spot. Heck, I know that athletes in the news about kneeling are always from those cities, oh wait that’s right it was my Panthers who signed Eric Reid.

The whole racism is in the South only is so dumb and untrue. Civil War isn’t still happening even though you think it is.
Kids are stupid. I was a stupid kid. I'm sure my kids will be dumb too.
What the kids in Georgia did is dumb, what the kids in NYC did is dumb.

But, to ruin lives over something a dumb kid did is over-the-top to me. No one was hurt. No property was damaged. But kids lives are going to be ruined because their dumb prank was dumb.

There's a story going around now about Marston Riley. Here's his Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/for-mr-riley

He hit a 14-year-old he was teaching for dropping an N-bomb. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marston-riley-maywood-academy-high-school-los-angeles-teacher-arrested-punching-student/

The sticks-n-stones rhyme has been forgotten by everyone. 

One of our prominent local high schools had to cancel it's production of To Kill A Mockingbird this fall due to complaints from one parent. She did not want her kids, African American students at the school, to be subjected to the "N word." In all the reports and articles, blog posts etc reporting the saga this past month or so, none were willing to actually print the word. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/high-school-halftime-show-included-racially-insensitive-term/BWd8pNbiDtbj5T5G337W2M/

“In our interviews, the students-- two of whom are African American, one of whom is Asian, and one of whom is Hispanic - indicated that this was intended as a joke, one that they thought would be funny. However, they acknowledged that they knew this racist term was not acceptable.”

It wasn’t the honkeys.
As a former tuba player, I can fully support the idea that folks who gravitate to larger brass instruments tend to not have the most well-developed social skills.
Not that intent, race or any extemporaneous motivation is relevant to some:

mother Shawn Myers:
“I don’t even know if this is a black-white issue because my understanding is a couple of them were not white, so they just did something that was wrong and they need to be held accountable,” she said. “I want them expelled. I will not stop until these students are expelled."
It's also a "crime" of opportunity. Their team is the Broncos. What else can you spell to be edgy? I'm sure if the team was the Baboons or the Pencils, they could have come up with better, five-letter words.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/high-school-halftime-show-included-racially-insensitive-term/BWd8pNbiDtbj5T5G337W2M/

“In our interviews, the students-- two of whom are African American, one of whom is Asian, and one of whom is Hispanic - indicated that this was intended as a joke, one that they thought would be funny. However, they acknowledged that they knew this racist term was not acceptable.”

It wasn’t the honkeys.
It was the diverse kids?

It wasn’t the honkeys.
Many media outlets omitted the race of the students who pulled the stunt.  This was likely done intentionally so that their readers would fill in the blanks and assume it was racist white students who meant harm.  The media, via their lies of omission, help create racial tension while complaining about it.

Kids are stupid. I was a stupid kid. I'm sure my kids will be dumb too.
What the kids in Georgia did is dumb, what the kids in NYC did is dumb.

But, to ruin lives over something a dumb kid did is over-the-top to me. No one was hurt. No property was damaged. But kids lives are going to be ruined because their dumb prank was dumb.

There's a story going around now about Marston Riley. Here's his Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/for-mr-riley

He hit a 14-year-old he was teaching for dropping an N-bomb. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marston-riley-maywood-academy-high-school-los-angeles-teacher-arrested-punching-student/

The sticks-n-stones rhyme has been forgotten by everyone. 
I agree with parts of this. Those dumb kids' lives aren't going to be ruined. At worst, they'll have to attend a different school.
Now that gofundme page is pretty stupid as well. How can they ask strangers for money without disclosing the source of the hardship? They want us to pay the legal fees of a grown man physically assaulting a 14 year old kid because his feelings got hurt? Good luck with that, bub.

It's also a "crime" of opportunity. Their team is the Broncos. What else can you spell to be edgy? I'm sure if the team was the Baboons or the Pencils, they could have come up with better, five-letter words.
S O B

C O R N

​

​

I got nothing.  never mind.  

Many media outlets omitted the race of the students who pulled the stunt.  This was likely done intentionally so that their readers would fill in the blanks and assume it was racist white students who meant harm.  The media, via their lies of omission, help create racial tension while complaining about it.
It was absolutely done intentionally.

Users who are viewing this thread