What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Things Pickled (1 Viewer)

onions are good pickled and i like really spicy real pickles dill only though i am just not a sweet pickle guy take that to the bank bromigos 

onions are good pickled and i like really spicy real pickles dill only though i am just not a sweet pickle guy take that to the bank bromigos 
I can hear that. Spicy pickles are the ####. But sometimes I wish I was like in France and Spain in 1920 and the war had just ended and they served pickled eggs all the time in bars like in The Sun Also Rises. Like it was considered hygienic enough to just ask the barkeep to reach in and grab a pickled egg for your leisure. Maybe when I visit Spain next year I'll see those bars, have those pickled eggs, and think of Hemingway and his wonderful novel. I long for it. 

Then again, the FBI drove him nuts, so...

Not pickling per se, but I've come to appreciate dill pickle flavored potato chips as the king of the chip kingdom.

rockaction said:
I can hear that. Spicy pickles are the ####. But sometimes I wish I was like in France and Spain in 1920 and the war had just ended and they served pickled eggs all the time in bars like in The Sun Also Rises. Like it was considered hygienic enough to just ask the barkeep to reach in and grab a pickled egg for your leisure. Maybe when I visit Spain next year I'll see those bars, have those pickled eggs, and think of Hemingway and his wonderful novel. I long for it. 

Then again, the FBI drove him nuts, so...
When I was a young lad, there was a dive bar nearby that had a gigantic jar of pickled eggs on the counter. I swear no one ate them and they had been there for years. One night after too many beers, we all agreed to try one. The bartender was a very large, behemoth women. She seemed genuinely surprised and somewhat amused when we ordered the eggs. With a bit of smirk on her face, she started rolling up her sleeves revealing the fattest, nastiest, eczema-covered forearms I've ever seen. To make matters worse, she had a huge mole on her forearm with about 50 long, black hairs sticking out of it. Amusement turned to horror as we watched her plunge her fat arm down into the jar. The thick, black hair from the mole swayed gently in the purple pickle juice as she fished for an egg. When she finally retrieved the last egg, she withdrew her arm, tossed the eggs on a plate, and wiped her hand dry in her armpit. It was just like a Hemingway novel. ? ?

I hate pickles and pickled items. The only pickled item I will eat is jalapeños but I prefer those fresh as well. 

When I was a young lad, there was a dive bar nearby that had a gigantic jar of pickled eggs on the counter. I swear no one ate them and they had been there for years. One night after too many beers, we all agreed to try one. The bartender was a very large, behemoth women. She seemed genuinely surprised and somewhat amused when we ordered the eggs. With a bit of smirk on her face, she started rolling up her sleeves revealing the fattest, nastiest, eczema-covered forearms I've ever seen. To make matters worse, she had a huge mole on her forearm with about 50 long, black hairs sticking out of it. Amusement turned to horror as we watched her plunge her fat arm down into the jar. The thick, black hair from the mole swayed gently in the purple pickle juice as she fished for an egg. When she finally retrieved the last egg, she withdrew her arm, tossed the eggs on a plate, and wiped her hand dry in her armpit. It was just like a Hemingway novel. ? ?
nice post

but the pic in your avatar is nicer

The only pickled item I will eat is jalapeños but I prefer those fresh as well. 
What's great about pickled jalapenos is that you can keep them on a shelf after opening & the vinegar keeps em from going bad. I dump a jar of em into a blender, whirr em up into a paste and pour it back into the jar. I keep it on my seasoning shelf and any time my cooking needs some bam i drop a dollop of heat in.

I make kraut all the time, I tried my hand at pickles twice this year and I just can't that great dill flavor. I read that you have to use flowering dill but I can't find any of that available. What recipes are you guys using?

I make kraut all the time, I tried my hand at pickles twice this year and I just can't that great dill flavor. I read that you have to use flowering dill but I can't find any of that available. What recipes are you guys using?
how do you make kraut.  i'd like to try it

how do you make kraut.  i'd like to try it
It's super easy. 

I use this crock , about 3-5 heads of cabbage, 1 tablespoon of salt per head, 1 tsp of Caraway Seeds per head

Shred the cabbage and then mix with the salt and caraway seeds in a large bowl and let sit for 10-15 minutes.Then pound the cabbage with a potato masher or some other tool until there is a fair amount of liquid in the bowl. Begin to pack the cabbage into your crock or other vessel and continue to pack it down tightly. Once all the cabbage is placed into the vessel you must keep it pressed by either using the weighted plate as seen in the crock above or by other means (I use to use a gallon ziplock bag filled with appropriate amount salt to fit a large Mason Jar I used).  Now it's just a waiting game. You can check it after 24 hours to see if you have brine forming, if not take a cup of water and mix it with a tsp of salt and then pour over the cabbage, put the weight back on and let it sit for a month (or more) and boom, great kraut. 

Have a neighbor supplying me with farm fresh eggs, and I'm looking for ways to get creative with them. Anyone happen to have a good pickled egg recipe they could share?

I wish we still had the rolling emoji.  ?

I am a jalapeno guy, and fresh is where it's at.

@wikkidpissah Your blender idea above seems useful and right up my alley. I might do that.
do that. the vinegar pops & brightens things just like a splash of it does to soup or whatever, and the green heat does what it always does. and shelf life ain't no shorter than fridge life, f'real

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate pickles and pickled items. The only pickled item I will eat is jalapeños but I prefer those fresh as well. 
I'm kinda of with you here.  Maybe a couple of small bites of a dill pickle with a sandwich or burger ...but occasionally.  

I'm not a sweet pickle guy but stuffing a bunch of jalapenos in a jar with sugar for a few days are pretty good.  No boiling water, etc. needed.

Sugared jalapenos.  

I've done some quick "refrigerator" pickles with some success, including sliced green tomatoes, using either Ball or Mrs. Wages packaged mix.  Not bad. Also did fridge-pickled veggie mix - carrot, daikon, garlic, scallion -  mint, lime, sriracha and fish sauce.  Those came out great.

I bought some airlock lids and tried doing fermented pickles with some garden radishes this year.  I think I need to do more work with those.

The olive bar at many Whole Foods have spicy pickled brussel sprouts.  They are excellent.  

As it so happens, last night I attended a work function at a Providence hipster beer garden.  Enjoyed several excellent beers, snacked from the charcuterie's pickled cauliflower and peppers, and then made a beer induced blunder and ordered the Carrot Pastrami Sandwich.  Thinking I was getting a beef product, I bit into the delicious-looking sandwich to find that it was beef free.  The carrots had been cured like pastrami!   I'm no vegan but it was delicious.  Would buy again.  

coyote5 said:
Also, spicy pickled onions for tacos, spicy pickled green beans anytime, and pickled asparagus for bloody marys.  Or anytime really.
Spicy pickled green beans and asparagus are both excellent answers.

I enjoy pickling livers, usually starting about 7:30pm
This is sort of exactly the double entendre I was looking for, but the cooking talk is great. 

I was literally eating half sours, and thinking of all things pickled, including livers.  

We can keep it at cooking, though, because pickling is one of my friend's loves (cooking-wise, seriously).  

Users who are viewing this thread