Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Amy Klobuchar for President 2020


TobiasFunke

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Her and Biden are the only two that can beat Trump in 2020.

For now, I would still have Harris on that list but that's about it. I don't imagine Biden would ever be VP again but Biden at the top of the ticket with either of those 2 women as VP would be pretty formidable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am trying to figure out the angle here - being a driven individual with high expectations for staff is now a bad thing?

 

I still don't know enough about her - but she sounds like a tough boss to work for - and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jamny said:

For now, I would still have Harris on that list but that's about it. I don't imagine Biden would ever be VP again but Biden at the top of the ticket with either of those 2 women as VP would be pretty formidable.

I don't think Biden can win the nomination.  I think it will be Harris or Klobuchar - and maybe O'Rourke as a VP - but probably someone more senior than O'rourke, but less senior than Biden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don't think Biden can win the nomination.  I think it will be Harris or Klobuchar - and maybe O'Rourke as a VP - but probably someone more senior than O'rourke, but less senior than Biden.

I'm probably giving Biden too much credit but I think it's his to lose. Yes, there is good up-n-coming talent but it's too far left for general consumption, imo. The machine will get behind Biden like they did for Hillary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jamny said:

I'm probably giving Biden too much credit but I think it's his to lose. Yes, there is good up-n-coming talent but it's too far left for general consumption, imo. The machine will get behind Biden like they did for Hillary.

At this point in the 2016 cycle, Hillary was polling at over 60% support to get the Democratic nomination.  Biden is at less than half that much right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

At this point in the 2016 cycle, Hillary was polling at over 60% support to get the Democratic nomination.  Biden is at less than half that much right now.

Does that account for the fact that this year's field is much broader and deeper than 2016?  Hillary didn't have any real competition (sorry, Bernie).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Does that account for the fact that this year's field is much broader and deeper than 2016?  Hillary didn't have any real competition (sorry, Bernie).

I personally think you have the causation backwards.  The reason the field was so small in 2016 was because nobody thought they could win the nomination from Hillary.  By this time in the cycle she had tons of money and endorsements and party support.  Biden has none of that stuff.  Everyone is jumping in the race this time around because they think they have a chance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am trying to figure out the angle here - being a driven individual with high expectations for staff is now a bad thing?

 

I still don't know enough about her - but she sounds like a tough boss to work for - and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

I think there’s a fine line. Obama had high expectations for his staff - he asked a lot of them and wouldn’t write them a thank you for doing their job - but that’s different from routinely berating your workers and having such a reputation that you drive away prospective employees. That said, I don’t think this is a huge deal. If the biggest piece of dirt we have on Klobuchar is “she’s a hardass,” she’ll probably end up being one of the cleanest candidates on the ballot.

Edited by caustic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, caustic said:

but that’s different from routinely berating your workers and having such a reputation that you drive away prospective employees.

I can be pretty sexist - but this notion that she is a difficult employer feels like its a non-issue for a male candidate, but a knock on a female candidate.

 

By itself - this is a non-issue for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, caustic said:

I think there’s a fine line. Obama had high expectations for his staff - he asked a lot of them and wouldn’t write them a thank you for doing their job - but that’s different from routinely berating your workers and having such a reputation that you drive away prospective employees. That said, I don’t think this is a huge deal. If the biggest piece of dirt we have on Klobuchar is “she’s a hardass,” she’ll probably end up being one of the cleanest candidates on the ballot.

I´m ready for a clean living, plain talking, hard working Midwesterner as POTUS.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, caustic said:

I think there’s a fine line. Obama had high expectations for his staff - he asked a lot of them and wouldn’t write them a thank you for doing their job - but that’s different from routinely berating your workers and having such a reputation that you drive away prospective employees. That said, I don’t think this is a huge deal. If the biggest piece of dirt we have on Klobuchar is “she’s a hardass,” she’ll probably end up being one of the cleanest candidates on the ballot.

I know three people that have worked in the WH, both Dems and Repubs.  The life is brutal and hard on the family.  3 years is probably a max for most people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2019 at 8:17 PM, The General said:

Beto, Sherrod Brown, Biden lots of the favor Dems running are pretty down the middle, no?

There is very little meaningful policy difference between most of them.  She's no exception.  Medicare for All, Education, Money out of government, Climate Change....she ticks all the boxes with the rest of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jamny said:

Looks like the Biden money is being put to use already.

Something odd is going on. This latest one is from stuff back in 2015. Didn't really look or anything but in my normal surfing which covers a few different political sites it doesn't even register but on Huffpost it's on blast in Drudge-like style

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am trying to figure out the angle here - being a driven individual with high expectations for staff is now a bad thing?

 

I still don't know enough about her - but she sounds like a tough boss to work for - and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

You forgot that she has ovaries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Klobuchar is still my pick, with Harris and Booker rounding out my top 3.  I don't know much about him, but Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown would be a kick-### ticket in the Midwest.  I still like Mitch Landrieu for the VP pick too.

If the dems want to have a chance against Trump I think they should pair Biden with Klobuchar as his running mate or Klobuchar as the presidential candidate with a man as VP (preferably not someone that leans too far left).

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, huthut said:

I am sure the dems will take to heart all of the advice they are getting from the republicans.

Whatever they do, I can assure you that far left progressive candidates CANNOT win against Trump. I'm only suggesting the best possible scenario for the Democrats and that is either Biden/Klobuchar or Klobuchar/male running mate that doesn't lean too far left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Whatever they do, I can assure you that far left progressive candidates CANNOT win against Trump. I'm only suggesting the best possible scenario for the Democrats and that is either Biden/Klobuchar or Klobuchar/male running mate that doesn't lean too far left.

There is not a single Democrat running who can’t beat Trump. It’s only a question of how bad the whupping is going to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

LOL, I guess you guys haven't learned a damn thing from 2016.

I’m not “you guys”. 

Look it’s a pretty simple formula. Trump’s victories in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are one time shots. He will not strike lightning twice and so he will lose the election. 

The only question is, how close will it be? If the candidate is perceived as too leftist, it may be closer than it would be if the candidate is perceived as a centrist. Except that I personally think that Kamala Harris will defy this formula due to her high level of charisma. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I’m not “you guys”. 

Look it’s a pretty simple formula. Trump’s victories in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are one time shots. He will not strike lightning twice and so he will lose the election.  -- Really?  I think you underestimate his successes. 

The only question is, how close will it be? If the candidate is perceived as too leftist, it may be closer than it would be if the candidate is perceived as a centrist. Except that I personally think that Kamala Harris will defy this formula due to her high level of charisma.  Kamala Harris doesn't have a snoball's chance in hell to defeat Trump.  Only in California and the Northeast are suckered into her. 

 

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It always cracks me up that 100% of partisans you talk to, no matter how extreme their position, always think their candidate is going to win. And when they lose, it’s always because their guy “wasn’t conservative enough” or “wasn’t liberal enough.” It never fails. 

Just once in my life I’d like to have a candidate who agrees with most of my positions and had a real shot at winning. That will never happen. Closest I ever got was Hillary Clinton, and we were only a match about 60% of the time- still that was higher than anyone else, ever. And of course she lost, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

It always cracks me up that 100% of partisans you talk to, no matter how extreme their position, always think their candidate is going to win. And when they lose, it’s always because their guy “wasn’t conservative enough” or “wasn’t liberal enough.” It never fails. 

Just once in my life I’d like to have a candidate who agrees with most of my positions and had a real shot at winning. That will never happen. Closest I ever got was Hillary Clinton, and we were only a match about 60% of the time- still that was higher than anyone else, ever. And of course she lost, lol. 

Bad choice.  She's a criminal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Bad choice.  She's a criminal.

Yeah, right. Investigations and allegations of wrong doing over 30 years but never once charged with any crime, even a misdemeanor in any jurisdiction by any prosecutor, local, state or federal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

but should have.  We all know that don't we?

Nope. Hillary is portrayed as a master criminal, but, if so, there would have been at least one charge in one jurisdiction by one prosecutor either local, state or federal for at least one crime. But you got nothing, not even a misdemeanor. It wasn't like she got charged and beat the rap due to high priced attorneys, but she has never been charged with anything, anywhere and the Hillary haters can never explain or get around that.

Edited by squistion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

Nope. Hillary is portrayed as a master criminal, but, if so, there would have been at least one charge in one jurisdiction by one prosecutor either local, state or federal for at least one crime. But you got nothing, not even a misdemeanor. It wasn't like she got charged and beat the rap due to high priced attorneys, but she has never been charged with anything, anywhere and the Hillary haters can never explain or get around that.

...but isn't she a has been now?  She should have been prosecuted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2019 at 6:45 AM, jamny said:

I'm probably giving Biden too much credit but I think it's his to lose. Yes, there is good up-n-coming talent but it's too far left for general consumption, imo. The machine will get behind Biden like they did for Hillary.

I could be giving Biden too little credit, but the last two times he’s ran for President he’s been a complete disaster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2019 at 6:01 AM, IvanKaramazov said:
On 2/8/2019 at 5:59 AM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

At this point in the 2016 cycle, Hillary was polling at over 60% support to get the Democratic nomination.  Biden is at less than half that much right now.

 Does that account for the fact that this year's field is much broader and deeper than 2016?  Hillary didn't have any real competition (sorry, Bernie).

Without checking the numbers, the better comparison might be Jeb Bush? (Not in terms of polling, but in terms of jamny’s statement about whom the machine will get behind in a large field.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Without checking the numbers, the better comparison might be Jeb Bush? (Not in terms of polling, but in terms of jamny’s statement about whom the machine will get behind in a large field.)

good point. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

I could be giving Biden too little credit, but the last two times he’s ran for President he’s been a complete disaster.  

I don't really count 88 much as he was out before the primaries and in 08 he was up against Obama. I think he would have beaten Hillary in 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Whatever they do, I can assure you that far left progressive candidates CANNOT win against Trump. I'm only suggesting the best possible scenario for the Democrats and that is either Biden/Klobuchar or Klobuchar/male running mate that doesn't lean too far left.

Again...Klobuchar's positions are in line with everyone else running....they're either ALL " far left progressives" or NONE of them are.  Sans Biden

Edited by The Commish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Klobuchar is hitting the right notes with me. I was interested in hearing more about the supposed "abuse" of staffers. I think she handled that criticism well this morning and I believe her explanation that she has high expectations for herself and those around her. It's backed by other former staffers who say she's tough but fair. I think if you're going to be President of the United States, you can't treat everyone around you with kid gloves. If you're a staffer working for a high level political figure who actually gets things done, you're probably not going to last long if you're a delicate flower. The people who understand this have backed her. I think we have another example of a woman in a power position held to a double-standard. Now if it comes out that she was physically abusive or bullying staffers, that's a different story.

I think her performance in the Kavanaugh hearing reflects "tough but fair" as well. She was composed and didn't seem more interested in putting on a show like many of her counterparts. When he was being evasive about his drinking she maintained her composure and conducted herself the way I wish all members of Congress would in these hearings. If she had a short fuse, I don't think she would have stayed as calm and focused as she notably did with Kavanaugh. 

I think I may have just talked myself into putting her at the top of my current list for 2020. I just hope she can overcome the downside of not making headlines that only come with flashy performances in front of cameras. The "plain" label has already been applied which as we all know is a horrible way to choose politicians. This country needs to stop electing public officials based on who has the biggest mouth.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inside DC her being abusive is widely known. Not demanding. Abusive. Throwing stuff. Making them get her dry cleaning. Screaming at staff. Widely known. This will come out for sure if she becomes a serious candidate. 

I’m from MN and cannot name one thing she’s done except say she wasn’t going to vote to raise the medical device tax then voting to raise it. Then , coming home and saying she was against the tax. Otherwise she’s done nothing. Correct me if I’m wrong.  

She does come across as likeable but apparently it’s a show like most politicians. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

Inside DC her being abusive is widely known. Not demanding. Abusive. Throwing stuff. Making them get her dry cleaning. Screaming at staff. Widely known. This will come out for sure if she becomes a serious candidate. 

I think voters are highly unlikely to care about this sort of thing.  Maybe she's a bad boss, but that's an input, not an output.  At the end of the day, she's going to get judged on her results (outputs).  If she can demonstrate the ability to get things done, folks will overlook shaky internal management.

The 529 piece was spot-on that the place where this sort of thing will damage her is by making it harder to assemble a top-notch staff.  This is the most competitive primary that I can recall since 1992.  There are at least half a dozen candidates with a perfectly legitimate shot at winning.  If Klobuchar can't put a good campaign staff together -- or can't retain them or can't get them to work together -- she's going to under-perform.  Hillary could have hypothetically had an awful staff in 2016, and she still would have won the nomination anyway because the deck was cleared for her and the DNC was doing a lot of heavy lifting on her behalf.  Nobody has that kind of advantage this time around.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am off three thoughts about the allegations of staff abuse:

 

1.  This smells of oppo research being released - which always makes be less likely to put as much stock into it - and the stories first appearing in HuffPost and BuzzFeed make me think one of the campaigns is working a media "source" to dump this kind of info - I don't like that approach.

2.  I have considered this was not oppo research, but rather a deliberate leak by the Klobuchar camp itself - release the information now - get it out of the way, and its a non-story by the summer.  That would be a good move - if her campaign did this....

3.  Its a non-factor for me.  I have had unreasonable bosses - I suspect many people have at one time or another.  To get to this position - you are generally looking at highly driven people - and they probably have very little patience for people who can't keep up.

 

I am not at the stage where I can really judge any of these candidates - I think that will come this summer, when we see more of them on the trail.  Right now, its simply about identifying the contenders, and watch them jockey for position (and watch the fundraising numbers).  I don't think any of the "bad" stories that run now will have much influence - but we will see the impact in early fundraising numbers.  Any of the candidates can overcome a hiccup at the start, as long as they find traction with enough voters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

If she is the pick - she will win.

There will be additional leaks like her hiring docs at Harvard or other documents with her signature that will sink her. 

 

On signing Texas State Bar registration as American Indian, Warren says “during this time period, this is consistent with what I did”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...