What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amy Klobuchar for President 2020 (1 Viewer)

Right wing is up in arms when she said she went to the Lillth Fair in 1992. 1992!!!!! Everyone knows the first one didn't even happen until 1996, and that one was in Canada.

Klobuchar is still my pick, with Harris and Booker rounding out my top 3.  I don't know much about him, but Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown would be a kick-### ticket in the Midwest.  I still like Mitch Landrieu for the VP pick too.
I don’t think Mitch is a great pick. The Democrats aren’t going to carry Louisiana regardless. 

About 20 minutes into the town hall. Its a long campaign but I'm starting out on her train. She comes across as smart, sincere, pragmatic, approachable. Almost like a real public servant. Go Amy Go.

Finished the town hall. She did well all the way through. Her challenge will be with young people who are attracted to more aggressive liberal ideas and wanting those results now over her more measured approach. I think she would be a force in a general election if she can survive the primary challenges on her left.

She combines the best of Hillary and Bernie in my opinion. My political leanings in 2016 we're probably closer to Hillary, more centrist, than Bernie. However, Bernie had that sincerity that Hillary was lacking and he had it in spades. I think Amy combines that pragmatic centrist problem solving approach with the right temperament and sincerity.

Im interested in seeing more of the candidates in this type of setting soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievably refreshing to hear from a Democrat who says she would use the ballooning national debt to inform policy-making.

Took huge balls to say "no" to free college on the Town Hall...she's not "rock star" by any means but extremely articulate with a reserved sort of passion....sophisticated enough to understand how climate change affects myriad issues like migration.

I like her alot. If the Dems run of their far left nut jobs, I'm prolly just not going to vote.

Unbelievably refreshing to hear from a Democrat who says she would use the ballooning national debt to inform policy-making.

Took huge balls to say "no" to free college on the Town Hall...she's not "rock star" by any means but extremely articulate with a reserved sort of passion....sophisticated enough to understand how climate change affects myriad issues like migration.

I like her alot. If the Dems run of their far left nut jobs, I'm prolly just not going to vote.
I actually like her which probably means she doesn't have much of a shot.

She's a rust belt and swing state Democrat. In Florida, the inspirational choice, Gillum, cost us the governor's office and the Senate seat.
How do you know that a different candidate would have performed better in Florida? Why does the midwest have to hold the Democrats hostage strategy that seems to be popular? I'm telling you guys that if you want young people to get out and vote, then you are going to need someone to believe in.

How do you know that a different candidate would have performed better in Florida? Why does the midwest have to hold the Democrats hostage strategy that seems to be popular? I'm telling you guys that if you want young people to get out and vote, then you are going to need someone to believe in.
Young people don't vote

Why wouldn't younger voters vote for Klobuchar?  Is it because she doesn't believe in free stuff right away?

I think it was this thread where we were talking about her position on MFA :oldunsure:

Anyhow, the more I hear her talk, I think she's more along the lines of a public option.  That strengthens my support for her, but that is certainly "right" of MFA on the scale.

The Senate seat was lost by not primarying the incumbent who should have been replaced years ago.
Perhaps. But almost everyone voted straight ticket for the top 3 statewide positions.  Gillum had the shadow of an on-going  FBI investigation. Race may have played a role too. Here are the margins: Gillum, -0.4%; Nelson, -0.25%, Fried, +0.08%. Gillum brought the ticket down. I think Gwen Graham would've brought the ticket up.

This latest NY Times story about Klobuchar as a boss is giving me second thoughts about her.  She also hasn't seized the moment following her announcement the way people like Warren and Harris have. I still think she may be the candidate that gives the Dems the best chance to win (other than maybe Sherrod Brown, who they can't afford to lose in the Senate).  But first impressions matter, and her first impression as a candidate is pretty much the opposite of the "Minnesota nice" angle I thought would work well for her.

My fear is this will happen.

Haven't gotten too deep into Klobuchar, but so far she seems right up my alley.

This latest NY Times story about Klobuchar as a boss is giving me second thoughts about her.  She also hasn't seized the moment following her announcement the way people like Warren and Harris have. I still think she may be the candidate that gives the Dems the best chance to win (other than maybe Sherrod Brown, who they can't afford to lose in the Senate).  But first impressions matter, and her first impression as a candidate is pretty much the opposite of the "Minnesota nice" angle I thought would work well for her.
still no one willing to be named.

still no one willing to be named.
That's true. But the flip side is that these are people who would likely benefit if she won- being a former staffer of the President of the United States can't be anything but good news for your career, even if you've fallen out of favor with her. Yet they're still willing to say things to the Times that will damage her chances.

That's true. But the flip side is that these are people who would likely benefit if she won- being a former staffer of the President of the United States can't be anything but good news for your career, even if you've fallen out of favor with her. Yet they're still willing to say things to the Times that will damage her chances.
If making a staffer clean a comb is the worst oppo anyone has, she’ll be fine.

Does it give me pause?  Maybe a little, but until someone goes public, it could just be a demanding boss and some snowflake staffers.

I agree with where you're coming from, and I mentioned a few weeks ago that I tend to look down on abusive superiors, but some of the anecdotes in this story seem like stretches:

But her blistering feedback to staff was often substantially out of proportion to the offense, these former aides said. Word choice or grammatical issues could make Ms. Klobuchar especially furious, not only in prepared text but also in office meetings or common speech. Words like “straight-shooting” and “absolutely” were known to invite her scorn. She urged staff members never to say that another senator “led” something and asked them to call her a “co-sponsor” of legislation instead of a supporter, suggesting that the latter sounded weak.

Ms. Klobuchar’s exasperation often appeared connected to two factors: an abiding fear of being embarrassed in front of colleagues or in the press and the conviction that she works harder than her staff.

In one message, in which she said she had not been prepared properly for an event, Ms. Klobuchar reminded her team of the hours she kept.

“Please don’t claim lack of time,” she wrote, asking what else might explain their failure. “I flew in at one in the morning. I don’t have that luxury to blame lack of time. Unless YOU were up working at one am, and up again five am the next day, please don’t claim lack of time. That was when I was up.”
She's 100% in the right on the "co-sponsor" vs "supporter" thing, and I can sympathize with her unwillingness to accept "I didn't have time" as an excuse for most things.

Obviously I'm not looking to excuse binder-throwing or forced-leg-shaving, just that this piece reads like there was an agenda behind it.

1. Every candidate that has announced is pretty much a lock to beat Trump.  That should have little bearing.

2. You overlooked many of the positives in the article.

3. You supported Clinton over Sanders last time and Clinton misdeeds IMO were far more serious than anything Klobuchar has done.  Why wouldn't you give her the same benefit?

4. I she is the best person to lead this country, I can live with a few aides having hurt feelings so the rest of us can prosper.

This latest NY Times story about Klobuchar as a boss is giving me second thoughts about her.
As one of the most articulate and intelligent posters on the board I'm kind of surprised at your second thoughts, actually.
I agree that you're a very good poster, but it sounds a bit weird for you to say it out loud in those terms.

I like her and I'm a conservative.  
I watched her CNN town hall and thought she was great and connected really well.  Then she got a question from a guy about free college and she said she was not in favor of it.  It was at that moment I realized there was no way in hell that she wins the Democrat nomination.    

I watched her CNN town hall and thought she was great and connected really well.  Then she got a question from a guy about free college and she said she was not in favor of it.  It was at that moment I realized there was no way in hell that she wins the Democrat nomination.    
Yeah, right. Please.

Free college, lol

As I said before in this thread. These stories will continue to come out.  They are not made up. It is very well known in Washington.  The woman is a tyrant. That’s doesn’t necessarily disqualify her but she’s an awful boss. 

No shtick here sir, 100% serious.  She is not on board with Medicare for all or the Green New Deal.  You’ll see at the first debate how well this goes over.
I am probably in better touch with what rank and file Democrats think than you are and most would probably find not supporting Medicare for all or the Green New Deal as being major disqualifiers (as those are left of center progressive positions).

No shtick here sir, 100% serious.  She is not on board with Medicare for all or the Green New Deal.  You’ll see at the first debate how well this goes over.
She's out of step with the energized part of her party's base, but at least for now she has the "centrist/moderate" lane all to herself.  I think that gives her a legitimate shot at the nomination.  That might change if Biden and/or O'Rourke enter the race.

I am probably in better touch with what rank and file Democrats think than you are and most would probably find not supporting Medicare for all or the Green New Deal as being major disqualifiers (as those are left of center progressive positions).
Sounds to me like she deals in reality, not fantasy.

Ok, so it sounds like we are in agreement.

Maybe the people will have enough common sense to understand  millions of Semis, industrial and agricultural diesel equipment cannot and will not be replaced in a little over 10 years. Just maybe there are enough sensible Democrats( like Klobuchar) to realize getting these replaced by 2030 is not realistic and is just something we should try to achieve as best we can without crippling our economy. Maybe there are enough sensible Democrats that realize a nation now 22 trillion in debt cannot afford paying for 4 year college that will cost too much and that Obama’s idea of free 2 year schooling for associates degree and trade school  can be done.  

Maybe the people will have enough common sense to understand  millions of Semis, industrial and agricultural diesel equipment cannot and will not be replaced in a little over 10 years. Just maybe there are enough sensible Democrats( like Klobuchar) to realize getting these replaced by 2030 is not realistic and is just something we should try to achieve as best we can without crippling our economy. Maybe there are enough sensible Democrats that realize a nation now 22 trillion in debt cannot afford paying for 4 year college that will cost too much and that Obama’s idea of free 2 year schooling for associates degree and trade school  can be done.  
That would make a lot of sense, and oh by the way, if you're a math or science major with a high GPA, you get an additional year or two free.

Before some of these college freebie programs get too much momentum perhaps someone could put in a call to the Secretary of Defense.

Every dollar that is simply given away for college has the potential to undermine the G.I. Bill, which is one of, if not the biggest, military recruiting tool.

Users who are viewing this thread