What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amy Klobuchar for President 2020 (2 Viewers)

PhantomJB said:
Before some of these college freebie programs get too much momentum perhaps someone could put in a call to the Secretary of Defense.

Every dollar that is simply given away for college has the potential to undermine the G.I. Bill, which is one of, if not the biggest, military recruiting tool.
Man, there's probably no other incentives that the military can give to recruits other than subsidized college education.

bananafish said:
I'm undecided on Klobuchar but that article doesn't sway me one way or the other. As one of the most articulate and intelligent posters on the board I'm kind of surprised at your second thoughts, actually. If you could speak more about what's giving you pause I'd love to hear it.

Also I'd expect more hit pieces of this ilk to come out on all the Democratic candidates. If this is the worst they have on Klobuchar then that's actually a positive in my book. I guess this time around I'm especially wary of potential Russia-backed narratives smearing whatever Democrats are leading and trying to amplify the divisions that already exist within the party.
I don't think it's a death sentence. And there's some sexism in it- the stories would have come out if she was a man, but probably wouldn't have been as big a deal to many people.

But ultimately I look at it this way: one, I've never known of a person who was an ###hole boss but a good person.  Two, I think the person who can ultimately connect with both the Dem activist base and maybe even the Obama/Trump voters is someone who understands and respects the whole "dignity of work" thing and that management has been screwing labor for the last couple decades. Still time for her to find that message obviously but this is not a great start.

PhantomJB said:
Before some of these college freebie programs get too much momentum perhaps someone could put in a call to the Secretary of Defense.

Every dollar that is simply given away for college has the potential to undermine the G.I. Bill, which is one of, if not the biggest, military recruiting tool.
Nobody has proposed that.   Sanders, and the other supporters of his college programs, would pay for it through  "Robin Hood" taxes on Wall Street.

From Sanders' web site:   

This legislation is offset by imposing a Wall Street speculation fee on investment houses, hedge funds, and other speculators of 0.5% on stock trades (50 cents for every $100 worth of stock), a 0.1% fee on bonds, and a 0.005% fee on derivatives. It has been estimated that this provision could raise hundreds of billions a year which could be used not only to make tuition free at public colleges and universities in this country, it could also be used to create millions of jobs and rebuild the middle class of this country

Nobody has proposed that.   Sanders, and the other supporters of his college programs, would pay for it through  "Robin Hood" taxes on Wall Street.
Sorry but you're not understanding my point. It's absolutely not about where the funds for free college come from.

According to a 2011 Pew study, about 75% of those who enlist in the military do so to obtain educational benefits. It's an essential part of the recruitment strategy.

If you make college straight-up free with no service, then the only reason to voluntarily enlist in the military is patriotism, eat sand and get underpaid. Good luck with that. Recruiting would likely fall off a cliff and then where are you? Bring back the draft?

Apologies for temporarily de-railing the Klobuchar thread but thought it was important to make this distinction.

Sorry but you're not understanding my point. It's absolutely not about where the funds for free college come from.

According to a 2011 Pew study, about 75% of those who enlist in the military do so to obtain educational benefits. It's an essential part of the recruitment strategy.

If you make college straight-up free with no service, then the only reason to voluntarily enlist in the military is patriotism, eat sand and get underpaid. Good luck with that. Recruiting would likely fall off a cliff and then where are you? Bring back the draft?

Apologies for temporarily de-railing the Klobuchar thread but thought it was important to make this distinction.
What if we paid them more and stopped sending them to stupid wars?  That might be a start.

I disagree with you to a degree. There is some technical training you gain in the military that gives you open doors without college education. This is considered education too, at least for many people. Overall you have a good point.

Sorry I missed your point.   How about we just shrink the military and its budget?

I disagree with you to a degree. There is some technical training you gain in the military that gives you open doors without college education. This is considered education too, at least for many people. Overall you have a good point.
Thanks. I respect your opinion.

All I can say is that personally if I was offered even just two years community college for free there is no way on this planet I would have gone in for four years. The technical training is great and all but the risks are also kind of non-trivial. Others may weight their decision differently.

But frankly it's shocking that the idea of ensuring the military talent level is kept high could be so controversial...so I'm not going to respond to some of these more ludicrous comments and just start a dedicated thread when free college comes up in the primaries.

Klobuchar and Biden would have a better chance in a general election over the Harris', Warren's, Beto's, and Sanders' of the world, because those candidates cannot move more centrist like Klobuchar and Biden can.  Some here seem to think Harris falls into that category, but we all know she doesn't.  Just look at her most recent remarks regarding the Green New Deal.  Her and others with similar comments will have to answer to them in a general election.  Not so much in the primaries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Klobuchar named most effective Democratic senator of 115th Congress. 

Sen. Klobuchar is not only the top-performing Democratic senator, but she is the fifth best-performing senator overall, despite her minority-party status. She is the only minority-party senator to break the overall top five since 2002, and is only the second minority-party senator to do so since Sen. John McCain did it in 1994.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2019/02/28/grassley-klobuchar-most-effective-senators-of-115th-congress-according-to-study/

Give them that money in the form of increased pay  :shrug:
Unreal how people don't get this.

Any increase in pay would have to equal the existing educational benefits plus an additional incentive on top of that for the of risk getting your head blown off. Then that increase in pay would have to keep escalating upon subsequent re-enlistment.

:shrug:

Any increase in pay would have to equal the existing educational benefits plus an additional incentive on top of that for the of risk getting your head blown off. Then that increase in pay would have to keep escalating upon subsequent re-enlistment.

I don’t get it.  Right now we pay X and give college benefits with a value of Y.  If we just paid X+Y that would actually be a better deal than service members are getting now.  

Give them that money in the form of increased pay  :shrug:

Don't get what? It's rather simple....if their package is $25K a year plus $50K for college tuition (just making numbers up for illustration) with the known risk of getting head blown off, then give them $75K instead also with the known risk of getting head blown off PLUS if they avoid getting their heads blown off, they get to come back to the country that's going to also pay for their higher education should they choose to go that route.

I don’t get it.  Right now we pay X and give college benefits with a value of Y.  If we just paid X+Y that would actually be a better deal than service members are getting now.  
Your last two sentences both equal X + Y, no?

If you just give everyone else Y for no service, then you're going to have to offer prospective enlistees their existing X+Y, then an additional Z to get incentive them to join over just going to college.

Your last two sentences both equal X + Y, no?

If you just give everyone else Y for no service, then you're going to have to offer prospective enlistees their existing X+Y, then an additional Z to get incentive them to join over just going to college.
X = current pay

Y = current cost of college that military pays

Z = what everyone is currently paid to go to college

Today: Military receives X + Y + Z, where Z=0.  Average citizen receives X + Z, where Z=0.

If college is paid for: Military receives X + Y + Z.  Average citizen still receives X + Z

Don't get what? It's rather simple....if their package is $25K a year plus $50K for college tuition (just making numbers up for illustration) with the known risk of getting head blown off, then give them $75K instead also with the known risk of getting head blown off PLUS if they avoid getting their heads blown off, they get to come back to the country that's going to also pay for their higher education should they choose to go that route.
If you're saying the new math becomes $25/yr + $50K + cost of college when they come out, then I believe saying close to the same thing.

What I'm trying to point out is that the current $50K then becomes an extra cost/incentive going forward.

The $50K will also have to be raised even further because right now it is sufficient incentive. But when you introduce the option of free college it will have to be increased.

X = current pay

Y = current cost of college that military pays

Z = what everyone is currently paid to go to college

Today: Military receives X + Y + Z, where Z=0.  Average citizen receives X + Z, where Z=0.

If college is paid for: Military receives X + Y + Z.  Average citizen still receives X + Z
Yes. We're getting there.

Currently Y is a sufficient incentive because there is no Z alternative. When you offer a Z alternative then the Y will need to be increased. Y plus its increase then becomes an added cost for the government.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I faced this exact choice coming out of high school.

Most high schoolers currently going into the military for the purpose of financing college won't otherwise go in for four years deferring their career plus $50K. They'll just go right to college.

Yes. We're getting there.

Currently Y is a sufficient incentive because there is no Z alternative. When you offer a Z alternative then the Y will need to be increased. Y plus its increase then becomes an added cost for the government.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I faced this exact choice coming out of high school.

Most high schoolers currently going into the military for the purpose of financing college won't otherwise go in for four years deferring their career plus $50K. They'll just go right to college.
I don't disagree with your last statement, but you also have to consider that not everyone in the military goes to college.  Maybe you entice more people who aren't college-bound because the pay is actually worth it.

I don't disagree with your last statement, but you also have to consider that not everyone in the military goes to college.  Maybe you entice more people who aren't college-bound because the pay is actually worth it.
Maybe. But that is why I quoted the Pew Research study that said 75% go in the military at least partially to obtain educational benefits.

I'm not at all saying it's a reason not to do free college. Just that before politicians make too many campaign promises they need to fully understand the cost and potential unintended consequences.

Maybe. But that is why I quoted the Pew Research study that said 75% go in the military at least partially to obtain educational benefits.

I'm not at all saying it's a reason not to do free college. Just that before politicians make too many campaign promises they need to fully understand the cost and potential unintended consequences.
It's definitely something to consider, and to be honest it wasn't even something I had thought of in the proposals to expand education for everyone.  I don't recall Hillary bringing it up in the Dem debates.  I'm not sure I'm even 100% on board with the idea myself, but when I hear how much it would cost compared to some of the insane costs of other projects that get approved without batting an eye, I can't help but think the money would be better spent investing in our country's education

Some enlistees intend to use the GI Bill on their children.

If you're saying the new math becomes $25/yr + $50K + cost of college when they come out, then I believe saying close to the same thing.

What I'm trying to point out is that the current $50K then becomes an extra cost/incentive going forward.

The $50K will also have to be raised even further because right now it is sufficient incentive. But when you introduce the option of free college it will have to be increased.
It's a salary.  Of course it will have to be increased to stay competitive.  You're basically switching the incentive from college to competitive wage.  I don't see the concern here.  GI Bill goes up today.  It's not the same $10K they offered me when I was in highschool.  

It's a salary.  Of course it will have to be increased to stay competitive.  You're basically switching the incentive from college to competitive wage.  I don't see the concern here.  GI Bill goes up today.  It's not the same $10K they offered me when I was in highschool.  
I'm only going to belabor this topic because I don't think Klobuchar gets nearly enough credit for her pragmatic approach to free college and other stuff.

Below is a link to a Harvard Kennedy School white paper. It's all there, including the following excerpt:

Or would simply higher pay be sufficient?  If it were, it would have to be substantially higher than current pay levels, likely compounding objections regarding the government budget deficit and defense spending in general.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/09/does-free-college-threaten-our-all-volunteer-military/

I was going to weigh in on the great GI Bill debate (I agree with Phantom JB) but I'll instead point out that LBJ was rumored to have been a lot worse than Klobuchar and that didn't really disqualify him from anything. 

I'm only going to belabor this topic because I don't think Klobuchar gets nearly enough credit for her pragmatic approach to free college and other stuff.

Below is a link to a Harvard Kennedy School white paper. It's all there, including the following excerpt:

Or would simply higher pay be sufficient?  If it were, it would have to be substantially higher than current pay levels, likely compounding objections regarding the government budget deficit and defense spending in general.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/09/does-free-college-threaten-our-all-volunteer-military/
What's the assertion YOU are making.  I guess I am confused.  :shrug:  

Are you saying politicians would be "concerned" about the military budget and what it'd cost to attract people to the military?  I can't buy that any politician outside of maybe one or two are concerned about the budget anymore and our spending.  It's a talking point with no teeth IMO.  If one thinks that the GI BIll is the only thing attracting people to the military, shouldn't that give all the military types a huge reason to pause and evaluate what benefit they are providing their enlistees?  

ETA:  I'd like to see a breakdown of costs and our spending on defense.  Meaning, when we order 25 fighter jets, what would altering that slightly and only ordering 20 fighter jets do to aid in the raising of our military compensation?  We can go to just about any technology they use and ask the same question.  Would the military complex be pissed?  Yeah, probably.  I'm ok with that.  They aren't my concern.  

What's the assertion YOU are making.  I guess I am confused.  :shrug:  

Are you saying politicians would be "concerned" about the military budget and what it'd cost to attract people to the military?  I can't buy that any politician outside of maybe one or two are concerned about the budget anymore and our spending.  It's a talking point with no teeth IMO.  If one thinks that the GI BIll is the only thing attracting people to the military, shouldn't that give all the military types a huge reason to pause and evaluate what benefit they are providing their enlistees?  

ETA:  I'd like to see a breakdown of costs and our spending on defense.  Meaning, when we order 25 fighter jets, what would altering that slightly and only ordering 20 fighter jets do to aid in the raising of our military compensation?  We can go to just about any technology they use and ask the same question.  Would the military complex be pissed?  Yeah, probably.  I'm ok with that.  They aren't my concern.  
1) My initial assertion several days ago was that, before making too many campaign promises about free college, whoever is proposing it (which thankfully Klobuchar is not) should put in a phone call to the Sec. of Defense, because it will likely impact military recruiting. In the extreme it could result in bringing back the draft. I stand by that assertion and have a Harvard white paper from an ex-Marine to back it up.

2) Is your first question rhetorical? I would hope whichever politician is going to be Commander in Chief would be "concerned" about the quality of the military they preside over.

3) I never said that the GI Bill is the only thing attracting people to the military. Please be more precise. What I have done, is quoted Pew research that proves educational benefits are a very, very important recruiting incentive. Whether or not you think that should be the case is not important. What is important is that it is the current reality. You can't just waive a magic wand and make this reality go away. It impacts policy making.

4) Your ETA is just conflating issues. Besides, just saying the military should whack their budget to pay for free stuff is an overly simplistic argument made ad nauseum.

1) My initial assertion several days ago was that, before making too many campaign promises about free college, whoever is proposing it (which thankfully Klobuchar is not) should put in a phone call to the Sec. of Defense, because it will likely impact military recruiting. In the extreme it could result in bringing back the draft. I stand by that assertion and have a Harvard white paper from an ex-Marine to back it up.
The way I see this happening is if all else was held constant and education was simply removed.  It's true that the military would have to find another way to make itself appealing to people.  Hiking up salaries in a significant way is a good way to do that, no?

2) Is your first question rhetorical? I would hope whichever politician is going to be Commander in Chief would be "concerned" about the quality of the military they preside over.
It seemed that you were prepared to go down the "giving the military personnel more money would cause significant budget issues" road.  I can't take seriously anyone making that claim when we are already spending 50 times what everyone else is spending.

3) I never said that the GI Bill is the only thing attracting people to the military. Please be more precise. What I have done, is quoted Pew research that proves educational benefits are a very, very important recruiting incentive. Whether or not you think that should be the case is not important. What is important is that it is the current reality. You can't just waive a magic wand and make this reality go away. It impacts policy making.
Again...the military would have to find a way to make themselves more attractive.  I have no problem with that.

4) Your ETA is just conflating issues. Besides, just saying the military should whack their budget to pay for free stuff is an overly simplistic argument made ad nauseum.
I haven't suggested "whacking" their budget.  I have suggested prioritizing their funds differently by having a significantly larger focus on the individuals that make up the military, their families and their health.

Bottom line is, I am of the opinion that this isn't as huge of a hurdle as you think it's going to be.  There are a ton of things our military can do to make themselves more attractive.  It's not as if they are the beaming light on the hill that everyone wants to be a part of today.

Unbelievably refreshing to hear from a Democrat who says she would use the ballooning national debt to inform policy-making.

Took huge balls to say "no" to free college on the Town Hall...she's not "rock star" by any means but extremely articulate with a reserved sort of passion....sophisticated enough to understand how climate change affects myriad issues like migration.

I like her alot. If the Dems run of their far left nut jobs, I'm prolly just not going to vote.
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/04/25/605092520/high-paying-trade-jobs-sit-empty-while-high-school-grads-line-up-for-university?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Klobuchar showing some humor during a speech at the Gridiron Club...

"So when Jerry called me about tonight, he asked, 'Do you need a microphone or do you just prefer to yell at everyone?'" she said.

I have an interesting base strategy," she said. "George Will wrote a nice column and [also] the Wall Street Journal. And Politico actually did a big story with Republicans saying nice things about me........And then the New York Times gave the rebuttal."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/02/politics/klobuchar-gridiron-speech/index.html

Klobuchar is still my pick, with Harris and Booker rounding out my top 3.  I don't know much about him, but Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown would be a kick-### ticket in the Midwest.  I still like Mitch Landrieu for the VP pick too.
That would be solid- Klobuchar and Brown. Garnering Minnesota's (10) and Ohio's (18 electoral votes) and many of them from  both coasts is how you beat Trump  .Never understood how candidates pick VP running mates that come from states with just a handful of electoral votes. Nothing worse than McCain choosing unknown Governor Sarah Palin with so few electoral votes.

That would be solid- Klobuchar and Brown. Garnering Minnesota's (10) and Ohio's (18 electoral votes) and many of them from  both coasts is how you beat Trump  .Never understood how candidates pick VP running mates that come from states with just a handful of electoral votes. Nothing worse than McCain choosing unknown Governor Sarah Palin with so few electoral votes.
It wasn't about the plethora of electoral votes in Alaska, it was more about having a female on the ticket 

Klobuchar appears on CNN town hall 7pm ET tonight...she stated last week her first two priorities are infrastructure and climate change.

Users who are viewing this thread