What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (5 Viewers)

"Very Unlikely" is the last phrase I would use to characterize the probability of a Biden collapse.

As to your second paragraph you are correct that progressives are not a majority in the Democratic Party. But, assuming for a moment the Biden collapse does happen, let's think about where the support goes. If there was a clear front runner in the Harris/Pete/Klobuchar/Booker clump I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But who do people flock to? Or do they look at Warren/Sanders and default to the next front runner even if they aren't all-in on a progressive platform?
Biden's biggest backers appear to be black people and older people.  I'm not so sure either of those groups is particularly drawn to Sanders or Warren (admittedly Sanders has done a pretty decent job improving his support in the black community).  I think if Biden collapsed at least one of the four candidates you mention would likely grab enough of his voters to get into the conversation as a plausible alternative to Bernia and Warren.  

Biden's biggest backers appear to be black people and older people.  I'm not so sure either of those groups is particularly drawn to Sanders or Warren (admittedly Sanders has done a pretty decent job improving his support in the black community).  I think if Biden collapsed at least one of the four candidates you mention would likely grab enough of his voters to get into the conversation as a plausible alternative to Bernia and Warren.  
Absolutely that's possible. But if his support spreads over multiple candidates from that tier then would continue to be Warren vs. Sanders for all intents and purposes.

But maybe we're going too far down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely that's possible. But if his support spreads over multiple candidates from that tier then would continue to be Warren vs. Sanders for all intents and purposes.

But maybe we're going too far down the rabbit hole.
Yeah it’s all very speculative.  I’m still expecting it to be a contested convention which will be pretty wild.

And I think all of you guys are still assuming a Biden collapse which, I believe, is a rather rash assumption at this point. 

What I wanted to see happen was for Mike Gravel to get in the debates (which he qualified for with a rather impressive grassroots campaign), dunk on some centrists and raise hell about everything wrong with this country.  Instead, the DNC took this Steve Bullock guy.  

But the notion that Biden’s campaign will fall apart and crumble to the ground is probably the safest bet in politics.  
Gravel's 89 years old.

That'd be a tough sell I'd think.

Gravel's 89 years old.

That'd be a tough sell I'd think.
There's no age limit.  They really weren't campaigning to win.  That was their big mistake- it gave the DNC/pundit class an out to exclude them from the debates in the event they qualified.

I don't care if he's 400 years old- no one else was talking in a serious way about the MIC, drug war, criminal justice, surveillance, etc.  It would have been nice to hear those views in the debates.  

There's no age limit.  They really weren't campaigning to win.  That was their big mistake- it gave the DNC/pundit class an out to exclude them from the debates in the event they qualified.

I don't care if he's 400 years old- no one else was talking in a serious way about the MIC, drug war, criminal justice, surveillance, etc.  It would have been nice to hear those views in the debates.  
I agree but not with 10 candidates in each debate. It's just too much.  If there had been 4-5 I'd be with you.

This method of choosing a candidate is really screwed up. I have no idea how to fix it. What I would like to see is a small group of intelligent people, around 4-5, offer opposing ideas about subjects and get deep into the subject matter but in a way that the public can understand. But I have no clue how to get there. Instead we're moving in this opposite direction. Our current President took to twitter this morning and labeled the Republicans who are running against him as "the Three Stooges." This is the sort of dialogue we will be having in next years election.

Latest New Hampshire polling has Biden and Warren in a statistical tie- however, Biden beats Trump by 10 points, and Warren loses to Trump by 2 points. 

Latest New Hampshire polling has Biden and Warren in a statistical tie- however, Biden beats Trump by 10 points, and Warren loses to Trump by 2 points. 
I have never been to New Hampshire, but I assumed it would be fairly receptive to the message that she is selling. Why would New Hampshire be specifically against Warren? The only thing I can think of is that they want Sanders more, and she is has the most overlap with his voters, but I don't think that is why. 

I have never been to New Hampshire, but I assumed it would be fairly receptive to the message that she is selling. Why would New Hampshire be specifically against Warren? The only thing I can think of is that they want Sanders more, and she is has the most overlap with his voters, but I don't think that is why. 
Because she made Republican beefcake Scott Brown (who subsequently ran for senate then in NH in a bit of small-scale carpetbagging) actually look good in her first Senatorial campaign (woulda lost anywhere but MA) in 2012, the worst major-office campaign i've ever seen. Like Vermonters, Granite Staters also know Bernie is 10 pounds of #### in a 5 pound bag. There's a slight eastern bias in NH but, mostly, they vote for the best campaigners. They consider that their birthright and obligation.

Because she made Republican beefcake Scott Brown (who subsequently ran for senate then in NH in a bit of small-scale carpetbagging) actually look good in her first Senatorial campaign (woulda lost anywhere but MA) in 2012, the worst major-office campaign i've ever seen. Like Vermonters, Granite Staters also know Bernie is 10 pounds of #### in a 5 pound bag. There's a slight eastern bias in NH but, mostly, they vote for the best campaigners. They consider that their birthright and obligation.
Are you sure you're not conflating Marta Coakley (who Brown beat in the special election) with Warren (who beat Brown in the regular election)?  I don't think Warren can be the worst campaign if she actually won.

Elizabeth Warren is calling party leaders to tell them that she's "not some crazy leftist" and that she's "willing to go to the center."

I'm open to this. I could change my mind about her. Let's hear what she has to say tomorrow night.

Are you sure you're not conflating Marta Coakley (who Brown beat in the special election) with Warren (who beat Brown in the regular election)?  I don't think Warren can be the worst campaign if she actually won.
My mother told  me to stop conflating or i'd go blind...

No, it's burnt into my memory. I had just moved back to MA after 35 yrs away. I can't comment on Coakley losing cuz i wasn't there yet except to say that my bff (whose carriage house i moved into) would love a dogturdinalittlecoat if it was a Democrat and even he hated the effete AG. All i heard in '12 was how wonderful this Hahvid Professah who was gonna run the country someday was and i watched in horror as she unveiled a speaking style i can only describe as a person interrupting herself just to be difficult. The Pocahontas thing was merely a signpost on that fitful Trail of Tears which proved that MA doesnt elect but anoint its candidates (growing up in MetroBoston, i knew that if you was da paaaahty choice, you could get indicted during your campaign and still win). Even though she appears to have worked on herself, i won't support her (though i would love for her to be Biden's Cheney if he wins) for fear of another blithering meltdown in general election season.

Elizabeth Warren is calling party leaders to tell them that she's "not some crazy leftist" and that she's "willing to go to the center."

I'm open to this. I could change my mind about her. Let's hear what she has to say tomorrow night.
Bookmarking this post for later in the event she gets the nomination and then the establishment acts shocked that progressives are unenthusiastic about her campaign.

She has a long record of being to the left in her actions. A campaign promise wouldn't void that all for me. What happens when she gets elected?  THe only reason to believe she'll govern from the center is a GOP majority in the Senate.

Calling @NCCommish! Good news for you! 

Big poll for Bernie today: he is leading in New Hampshire by 8 points: 29% to 21% for Biden and Warren trailing behind. Best result in months for Bernie. 

I don’t expect Biden to win New Hampshire, and I wonder if the one who does- Bernie or Warren- will become THE progressive candidate? 

Big poll for Bernie today: he is leading in New Hampshire by 8 points: 29% to 21% for Biden and Warren trailing behind. Best result in months for Bernie. 

I don’t expect Biden to win New Hampshire, and I wonder if the one who does- Bernie or Warren- will become THE progressive candidate? 
One wrinkle that I hadn't heard discussed before this morning is that because of early voting in California, a big chunk of California voters will end up voting without knowing the results from places like South Carolina or Nevada.  I think that will hamper the natural winnowing process that usually happens when lots of candidates drop out after Iowa or New Hampshire.

One wrinkle that I hadn't heard discussed before this morning is that because of early voting in California, a big chunk of California voters will end up voting without knowing the results from places like South Carolina or Nevada.  I think that will hamper the natural winnowing process that usually happens when lots of candidates drop out after Iowa or New Hampshire.
California Democratic politics are very hard to read. There are progressives all over the state, and centrists all over the state. The conventions (usually in San Francisco) tend to be dominated by progressives, and angry ones at that, but it doesn’t tell you too much about the voters. Where I live in OC, Democrats shoved out the Republicans in Congress like Dana Rohrabacher and helped swing the House, but these are mostly centrist Dems, not progressives. 

It costs a lot of money to campaign here. 

California Democratic politics are very hard to read. There are progressives all over the state, and centrists all over the state. The conventions (usually in San Francisco) tend to be dominated by progressives, and angry ones at that, but it doesn’t tell you too much about the voters. Where I live in OC, Democrats shoved out the Republicans in Congress like Dana Rohrabacher and helped swing the House, but these are mostly centrist Dems, not progressives. 

It costs a lot of money to campaign here. 
Sure, but none of this addresses the point that I'm making.  My point was really about the importance of the early states in establishing who the real contenders are.  I'm not sure that will happen this time around. 

Which particular candidates that benefits I'm not sure.  Maybe Kamala Harris because it's her home state but that's not clear to me at all.

Can you elaborate, @timschochet ? Why wouldn't that hold true for the early states, then?
PA, Del, NY, CT all vote 4/28. NJ not until June. A whole section of the country likely has no impact.
That's exactly the problem with early states....the "well known" always have an advantage and their only job is to maintain that advantage throughout the later primaries.  This is what happened in the 2016 primary between Bernie and Hillary.  His battle was one of name recognition, not policy.  

That's exactly the problem with early states....the "well known" always have an advantage and their only job is to maintain that advantage throughout the later primaries.  This is what happened in the 2016 primary between Bernie and Hillary.  His battle was one of name recognition, not policy.  
Sure it's an advantage but it isn't insurmountable.  Hillary was much better known than Obama in 2008, for example.  He ended up winning Iowa and ultimately won the nomination.  

Sure it's an advantage but it isn't insurmountable.  Hillary was much better known than Obama in 2008, for example.  He ended up winning Iowa and ultimately won the nomination.  
Sure...didn't mean to suggest it was insurmountable.  All I'm saying is "the best known candidate will always win" isn't really all that compelling to me.  If anything, the current format seems more conducive for "the best known" candidates.  Of course there are exceptions like Hillary where it might have been better for to be the lesser known.  ;)  

Sure...didn't mean to suggest it was insurmountable.  All I'm saying is "the best known candidate will always win" isn't really all that compelling to me.  If anything, the current format seems more conducive for "the best known" candidates.  Of course there are exceptions like Hillary where it might have been better for to be the lesser known.  ;)  
Well, the standard argument is that a lesser-known candidate has a chance to make waves in places like Iowa and New Hampshire because they're relatively small and the candidate can get a lot more face-to-face time with actual voters instead of relying on the media and expensive advertising.   That sort of retail politicking would be impossible if all the primaries were in one day.  

I don't know how true that argument is these days though.  

That makes sense from a practical logistics standpoint. Still concentrates power, though.  Cal just moving there's up because of this, but I don't know if all states have that flexibility No clue why various primaries are set when they are.

Well, the standard argument is that a lesser-known candidate has a chance to make waves in places like Iowa and New Hampshire because they're relatively small and the candidate can get a lot more face-to-face time with actual voters instead of relying on the media and expensive advertising.   That sort of retail politicking would be impossible if all the primaries were in one day.  

I don't know how true that argument is these days though.  
I think it’s still valid, still makes a difference. I like the current system of starting with one state at a time; I think it for the most part gives the lesser candidates a shot, whereas if you do all the primaries on one day they will have no shot. 

What I don’t like, and I think this goes to @Mystery Achiever‘s concern, is that we start off with the same 3 states every time: Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina. My own solution would be to have a lottery every 4 years to randomly determine the order of the primaries: perhaps one year it would be Illinois, another year Hawaii, etc. This would give different states the chance to have an impact. 

I think it’s still valid, still makes a difference. I like the current system of starting with one state at a time; I think it for the most part gives the lesser candidates a shot, whereas if you do all the primaries on one day they will have no shot. 
I think giving lesser candidates a #### is a good idea. Giving Iowa and NH the say in that is the bad idea.

Sure, but none of this addresses the point that I'm making.  My point was really about the importance of the early states in establishing who the real contenders are.  I'm not sure that will happen this time around. 

Which particular candidates that benefits I'm not sure.  Maybe Kamala Harris because it's her home state but that's not clear to me at all.
Given that I've yet to see her lead a poll in her own home state I'm going to guess no Kamala will not be the beneficiary

See Tim this doesn't surprise me this is how I expect the poles will end up I don't think Biden has any staying power I think Warren is revealing herself to be another Obama I'm going to talk a big Progressive game and then when the time comes I'm going to sell out and I just think Bernie is going to win it I really do

See Tim this doesn't surprise me this is how I expect the poles will end up I don't think Biden has any staying power I think Warren is revealing herself to be another Obama I'm going to talk a big Progressive game and then when the time comes I'm going to sell out and I just think Bernie is going to win it I really do
Interesting take on Warren, not sure you're right about that.

Unfortunately for Bernie he didn't have a good night last night, part of it was he seemed to have a sore throat. Of course that shouldn't matter but it does.

Interesting take on Warren, not sure you're right about that.

Unfortunately for Bernie he didn't have a good night last night, part of it was he seemed to have a sore throat. Of course that shouldn't matter but it does.
She took big donor money to seed her campaign, then she claimed she wouldn't take anymore. Until the general that is and then she will take all the monies. When people show you who they are believe them.

Sounds like Mayor Pete has some explaining to do.
:shrug:   From the article itself:

The documents say that, in February 2011, two white police officers were heard discussing a campaign to get rid of Boykins, with Buttigieg donors acting as go-betweens. In April, the officers say they believe Buttigieg is unaware of the plan, and that they expect the “little ####### squirt,” as one calls him, to win the mayoral nomination. After he does win, a third officer in June reports hearing directly from Buttigieg that “Boykins is done.”

:shrug:   From the article itself:

The documents say that, in February 2011, two white police officers were heard discussing a campaign to get rid of Boykins, with Buttigieg donors acting as go-betweens. In April, the officers say they believe Buttigieg is unaware of the plan, and that they expect the “little ####### squirt,” as one calls him, to win the mayoral nomination. After he does win, a third officer in June reports hearing directly from Buttigieg that “Boykins is done.”
And so? If a donor came to him, said you have to fire Boykin and he did, it doesn't matter if he knew who put them up to it.

She took big donor money to seed her campaign, then she claimed she wouldn't take anymore. Until the general that is and then she will take all the monies. When people show you who they are believe them.
Lol of course you know you're talking to the wrong guy about this right? Because I don't mind this at all. In fact it would probably make me like her more.

Lol of course you know you're talking to the wrong guy about this right? Because I don't mind this at all. In fact it would probably make me like her more.
Yeah big laugh another corrupted politician that won't give a crap what you want because you aren't a bundler. Bribery is something I do mind.

Users who are viewing this thread