What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (4 Viewers)

I didn't say you were denying racism...

I don't think it distracts from racism at all...I think it points out the racism that has been around forever.  Nobody is wordsmithing...you seem to have more of an issue with the word than anything...do you admit the issue exists?  That what is described as white privilege does actually exist?  

Spare me the claims of what you think it was designed to do...do you think it actually exists?

Also spare me that it is somehow wrong or hurtful to understand the advantages white people have been afforded...sorry if I don't find that all that hurtful or damaging as we see unarmed black men murdered or beaten.

Also...you seem to have plenty of time to post all day yesterday and so much today...can you give 5 minutes in the Future of the Republican Party thread and please define what conservatism is?
You know that'll be a long conversation. I also need to reflect on it. I'm sure you'll see if I address it.

BTW, I'm kinda making my own hours right now, but I do appear & reappear around in here in bunches. I typically post a lot if I get fired up (like many people)

Can you explain more why you think the term "white privilege" has negative consequences for impressionable kids?
Are you kidding?

Do you realize the White Privilege moniker is making some white ADULTS feel like they have to apologize for nothing other than being born white? Apologizing & acknowledging racism are two very different things. Now, just think about an impressionable kid.

The latter should be the narrative.
I wasn't kidding.  I still don't understand how it hurts kids to be familiar with the concept of white privilege.  I'm sure I won't agree with you but I'd like to at least comprehend what your position is.  Maybe a concrete example would help.  

I wasn't kidding.  I still don't understand how it hurts kids to be familiar with the concept of white privilege.  I'm sure I won't agree with you but I'd like to at least comprehend what your position is.  Maybe a concrete example would help.  
You don't see how adults apologizing for being born white could be a huge problem for white kids?

Several people have mentioned to me that they're going to have talks with their kids about this very thing. They've already been raised to respect all colors.

Unfortunately, it's now a topic that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The White House is now demanding an apology from CNN for its poll showing Biden leading by 14 points. "Misleading the public."

Trump people really don't understand polling. Or maybe they do and just hate them for what they do. I dunno.
They consistently provide a talking point for Facebook arguments.

"Did you see the CNN poll that has Biden up by 14 points"?

Response: "Yeah that poll is fake news and misleading, the White House called them out on it."

They do this for every issue.

The "sides" are too much already. 

You don't see how adults apologizing for being born white could be a huge problem for white kids?

Several people have mentioned to me that they're going to have talks with their kids about this very thing. They've already been raised to respect all colors.

Unfortunately, it's now a topic that needs to be adressed.
Acknowledging white privilege exists is not the same thing as apologizing for being born white.  That was pointed out on the last page of this thread.

Upon further review, Donald's real problem with polls unfavorable to him is that they undermine his credibility when he claims "voter fraud" if he loses in November. So those "shy Trump voters" who lie to pollsters (  :lmao:  ) aren't really helping the cause. They need to speak up now and close the gap.

The McLaughlin Group's report mostly questioned CNN polling methodology. I suspect that they will conduct their own poll, see that it closely mirrors CNN's results and report same to Don. They will then be summarily dismissed and stiffed on their bill.

Unfortunately, it's now a topic that needs to be adressed.
I'm not sure how others are doing it, but I haven't found it particularly hard to talk to my son about white privilege, and apologizing for being white has nothing to do with it. It's about empathy and understanding that minority groups have a set of inherent challenges that we don't have. It doesn't mean we don't have challenges or certain individuals are privileged in ways we aren't.

Some people get born into privilege. Some don't. A bunch of my distant family comes from Harlen, Kentucky. Pretty eye-opening.

There's a lot more to racism than privilege. It's multi-faceted.

The White Privilege nonsense will get squashed in time. It takes away from the real problem of injustice against blacks (racism, etc.).

White Privilege will also be looked at in poor light in the future. It'll die a slow, painful death.

I'm not sure how others are doing it, but I haven't found it particularly hard to talk to my son about white privilege, and apologizing for being white has nothing to do with it. It's about empathy and understanding that minority groups have a set of inherent challenges that we don't have. It doesn't mean we don't have challenges or certain individuals are privileged in ways we aren't.
Right. That's a different talk, though.

You know it's a potential problem for kids when adults are apologizing. The racism discussion & guidance is totally different from White Privilege & what that could entail for kids.

You know that'll be a long conversation. I also need to reflect on it. I'm sure you'll see if I address it.

BTW, I'm kinda making my own hours right now, but I do appear & reappear around in here in bunches. I typically post a lot if I get fired up (like many people)
I don't think its that long of a post to describe some basic points of conservatism.

You say this a lot.  I think your definition of "addressed" needs work.  Simply stating an opinion is not "addressing" or "going over".  It's the literal equivalent of saying "nuh-uh".  You'll notice that a lot of people add links to studies, evidence, etc. when trying to prove a point.
You're all over the place.

I've stated my opinion quite well.

You can disagree with it. You can also keep propagating White Privilege.

I think we're all against racism. That's a start.

I don't think its that long of a post to describe some basic points of conservatism.
You're really on this, aren't you? LOL.

I don't think you'll be surprised what I have to say, but the premise is pretty deep. I've been thinking about it.

I also don't believe you'll like what I'd have to say if I do post. Remember, this place is loaded with liberals & there'll be a lot of comments. My time might be better spent elsewhere (not just in the PF). If I get fired up enough about it, I'll post.

You're really on this, aren't you? LOL.

I don't think you'll be surprised what I have say, but the premise is pretty deep. I've been thinking about it.

I also don't believe you'll like what I'd have to say if I do post. Remember, this place is loaded with liberals & there'll be a lot of comments. My time might be better spent elsewhere (not just in the PF). If I get fired up enough about it, I'll post.
Just think its better than 50 posts about BLM in a thread about the Republican party...especially since the point was made that conservatism would prevail for your grandchildren.

In addition i think people often mistake anti trump thought for far left or full on liberalism.

But whatever...

Just think its better than 50 posts about BLM in a thread about the Republican party...especially since the point was made that conservatism would prevail for your grandchildren.

In addition i think people often mistake anti trump thought for far left or full on liberalism.

But whatever...
I'm not even sure I brought up BLM in that thread. If I did, plenty of people commented on it.

Not a fan of “white privilege” because it implies that being treated like a normal human being in job interviews, by police etc., is a “privilege.”  Everyone should be so “privileged” to be afforded basic human decency.  Not being systematically oppressed is a “privilege.”  

It’s patronizing when people adopt this framing.  To me it speaks more to a savior complex than a common sense of justice.  It guilt trips people that have literally nothing to do with institutional racism, and draws blame away from traditional centers of power in the US that are actually responsible for slavery, racist policing etc.  However good the intentions are, it’s counterproductive and trivializes a place where people might otherwise find common ground.  

Not a fan of “white privilege” because it implies that being treated like a normal human being in job interviews, by police etc., is a “privilege.”  Everyone should be so “privileged” to be afforded basic human decency.  Not being systematically oppressed is a “privilege.”  

It’s patronizing when people adopt this framing.  To me it speaks more to a savior complex than a common sense of justice.  It guilt trips people that have literally nothing to do with institutional racism, and draws blame away from traditional centers of power in the US that are actually responsible for slavery, racist policing etc.  However good the intentions are, it’s counterproductive and trivializes a place where people might otherwise find common ground.  
Well said.

BTW, I have a little darker take on it (however well-meaning the premise is).

You stated your opinion nicely, though.

Unfortunately, it's now a topic that needs to be addressed.
Let me try to explain to you why I think your view exacerbates the problem rather than fixes it.  Maybe that will improve the discussion because you can respond to my points instead of feeling like you're being put on the spot.

You stated on multiple occasions the view you hope to convey to your grandchildren is something like "hard work is how you become successful."  There certainly is some truth to the message -- people that work hard, on average, are more successful than people that don't work hard.  There are lots of anecdotes of people that managed to achieve great things despite difficult upbringings due at least in part to hard work.  I think it's a good thing to encourage your grandkids to work hard.  It's generally a positive message.

But there's a downside to internalizing that message without context.  If your grandchildren grow up to believe hard work is the primary means by which people attain success, then it logically follows that people who are less successful are lazy or inferior, because otherwise they would be more successful.  And if your grandchildren manage to achieve success by working hard, they may feel less inclined to help or even sympathize with people that are struggling because those people could have also been successful, if only they had worked as hard as your grandkids.  

That's bad enough but it gets worse.  Because it turns out that in this country, in general, white people are WAY more financially successful than black people.  So any person internalizing the message that financial success in the United States is a sort of meritocracy based on hard work might logically conclude that black people are largely responsible for the situation that they're in.  It's a very short leap from there to someone becoming racist.  In a true meritocracy, the people at the bottom actually are inferior in some way, so it's dangerous in my opinion to try to get your grandchildren to believe that we are living in one.

That's why I think it's so important for white kids to learn about white privilege.  It's not for the purpose of making them feel guilty or have to apologize.  It's just something that helps make sense of the massive differences in this country between the wealth and power of white people and the wealth and power of black people.  It's a non-racist way to explain to your grandchildren some reasons why black people as a whole have often struggled to climb the economic ladder in this country.  And it totally has the benefit of being true -- the financial position of black people in this country is very much a result of racist policies and practices starting from the beginning of this country, and some of which continue to this day.

I don't know if any of this is persuasive to you but I just wanted you to have a better understanding of the contrary position.  Thanks for engaging as much as you have lately.  It's been fun. 

Let me try to explain to you why I think your view exacerbates the problem rather than fixes it.  Maybe that will improve the discussion because you can respond to my points instead of feeling like you're being put on the spot.

You stated on multiple occasions the view you hope to convey to your grandchildren is something like "hard work is how you become successful."  There certainly is some truth to the message -- people that work hard, on average, are more successful than people that don't work hard.  There are lots of anecdotes of people that managed to achieve great things despite difficult upbringings due at least in part to hard work.  I think it's a good thing to encourage your grandkids to work hard.  It's generally a positive message.

But there's a downside to internalizing that message without context.  If your grandchildren grow up to believe hard work is the primary means by which people attain success, then it logically follows that people who are less successful are lazy or inferior, because otherwise they would be more successful.  And if your grandchildren manage to achieve success by working hard, they may feel less inclined to help or even sympathize with people that are struggling because those people could have also been successful, if only they had worked as hard as your grandkids.  

That's bad enough but it gets worse.  Because it turns out that in this country, in general, white people are WAY more financially successful than black people.  So any person internalizing the message that financial success in the United States is a sort of meritocracy based on hard work might logically conclude that black people are largely responsible for the situation that they're in.  It's a very short leap from there to someone becoming racist.  In a true meritocracy, the people at the bottom actually are inferior in some way, so it's dangerous in my opinion to try to get your grandchildren to believe that we are living in one.

That's why I think it's so important for white kids to learn about white privilege.  It's not for the purpose of making them feel guilty or have to apologize.  It's just something that helps make sense of the massive differences in this country between the wealth and power of white people and the wealth and power of black people.  It's a non-racist way to explain to your grandchildren some reasons why black people as a whole have often struggled to climb the economic ladder in this country.  And it totally has the benefit of being true -- the financial position of black people in this country is very much a result of racist policies and practices starting from the beginning of this country, and some of which continue to this day.

I don't know if any of this is persuasive to you but I just wanted you to have a better understanding of the contrary position.  Thanks for engaging as much as you have lately.  It's been fun. 
Thanks for taking the time to post & appreciate you being cordial.

You probably know I find many issues with your side of the argument, but that's ok.

Opportunity has as much to do with "success" as hard work.
That's true, but poor white kids have an uphill battle, too. How many special programs are there for white kids?

There's a lot of oppressed people. The black community has its own set of problems & many of them have nothing to do with so-called White Privilege. Lack of family structure & on & on & on. The thought cops are going around slapping serious charges on black people for no reason, & there are some people who would have you believe that, simply isn't true.

There's no doubt rampant racism on both sides. White Privilege isn't about unity. Far from it.

One of the messages black conservatives are preaching is self responsibility. In other words, the white man isn't responsible for all your problems.

Racism is an issue. Let's figure out a solution that doesn't require another race to feel guilty. If you're like me, & most people are, you didn't do a damn thing.

That's true, but poor white kids have an uphill battle, too. How many special programs are there for white kids?

There's a lot of oppressed people. The black community has its own set of problems & many of them have nothing to do with so-called White Privilege. Lack of family structure & on & on & on. The thought cops are going around slapping serious charges on black people for no reason, which there are some people who would have you believe that, simply isn't true.

There's no doubt rampant racism on both sides. White Privilege isn't about unity. Far from it.
I think if you were to compare circumstances between people in the same socio-economic strata, you'd find black people have it worse to some degree than white people in that same strata. That's what most people are talking about when they use the term "white privelege." It's not intended to mean poor white people have it good, don't have to work hard to move up, don't face mountains of obstacles day to day - it's intended to mean, all those considerations being equal, black people have it even harder than that.

As for your notions about lack of family structure, the data suggests that institutional bias definitely has a lot to do with that situation - look at the incarceration rates for black males vs. the rest of the population for instance. Tough to have a solid family structure when fathers are in prison.

Cops evidently do perform unjust acts against minorities at a greater rate than they do against whites, based on the data we have. It simply is true.

I think if you were to compare circumstances between people in the same socio-economic strata, you'd find black people have it worse to some degree than white people in that same strata. That's what most people are talking about when they use the term "white privelege." It's not intended to mean poor white people have it good, don't have to work hard to move up, don't face mountains of obstacles day to day - it's intended to mean, all those considerations being equal, black people have it even harder than that.

As for your notions about lack of family structure, the data suggests that institutional bias definitely has a lot to do with that situation - look at the incarceration rates for black males vs. the rest of the population for instance. Tough to have a solid family structure when fathers are in prison.

Cops evidently do perform unjust acts against minorities at a greater rate than they do against whites, based on the data we have. It simply is true.
That's called racism. Nothing to do with so-called White Privilege.

The moniker is nasty. It's causing people to apologize for their race. Kids are like sponges. White kids don't need to be hearing they're privileged. It just makes me want to throw up. Racism, man, it's about racism.

It tells white kids they're always going to have the upper hand in life. That's a slippery slope & an extremely dangerous mindset.

When you put White Privilege under the microscope, it's the very thing its supposed message is trying to eradicate.

That said, I realize people are well-meaning, but it's just going to slow progress if it catches fire.

That's why I've become especially interested in seeing so many black conservatives pop up now. 

There's a thing called victim mentality. This isn't my concept. I literally learned about it watching conservative black vids. In one instance, a black lady convinced a big room full of fellow black people that Trump is making her fat. She actually said it was his fault her diet doesn't work as well on her as white women due to stress. It was cheered with agreement. Would you like to see it?

White Privilege plays into all the nonsense. It's one thing to subject adults to the guilt trip, but kids don't need to be hearing they're privileged. And for that matter, black kids don't need to be hearing white kids are privileged.

That's called racism. Nothing to do with so-called White Privilege.

The moniker is nasty. It's causing people to apologize for their race. Kids are like sponges. White kids don't need to be hearing they're privileged. It just makes me want to throw up. Racism, man, it's about racism.
White privilege is the inverse of racism against blacks (and other minorities). It exists in relation to racism. As said several times already, most aren't expecting an apology for the existence of white privilege - just an acknowledgement that it exists and an awareness of its effects. That's all. Maybe it could be phrased better than "privilege" to somehow capture the notion that as bad as some white people have it, some black people have it that bad and worse. I'd rather focus on solving the underlying problem than worrying about the exact right phrasing though. We can't solve these kinds of problems until more people move past worrying about the phrasing to acknowledge that there is an underlying problem.  

That's why I've become especially interested in seeing so many black conservatives pop up now. 

There's a thing called victim mentality. This isn't my concept. I literally learned about it watching conservative black vids. In one instance, a black lady convinced a big room full of fellow black people that Trump is making her fat. She actually said it was his fault her diet doesn't work as well on her as white women due to stress. It was cheered with agreement. 

White Privilege plays into all the nonsense. It's one thing to subject adults to the guilt trip, but kids don't need to be hearing they're privileged. And for that matter, black kids don't need to be hearing white kids are privileged.
I don't believe that there are any more black conservatives now than there were a year or two ago. They are just getting more attention and are being spotlighted by the right. It is becoming more apparent that Trump's prospects of getting the more than 5-8% of the black vote (at best) are looking really bleak after his tone deaf and inept response to George Floyds murder and the subsequent protests.

I don't believe that there are any more black conservatives now than there were a year or two ago. They are just getting more attention and are being spotlighted by the right. It is becoming more apparent that Trump's prospects of getting the more than 5-8% of the black vote (at best) are looking really bleak after his tone deaf and inept response to George Floyds murder and the subsequent protests.
Really, it doesn't matter the state of black conservatism. You want to downplay it, but they make very good points. I don't agree with every black conservative on every point, but take notice, these are black people. They should know what they're speaking to. Some don't even mention politics.

White privilege is the inverse of racism against blacks (and other minorities). It exists in relation to racism. As said several times already, most aren't expecting an apology for the existence of white privilege - just an acknowledgement that it exists and an awareness of its effects. That's all. Maybe it could be phrased better than "privilege" to somehow capture the notion that as bad as some white people have it, some black people have it that bad and worse. I'd rather focus on solving the underlying problem than worrying about the exact right phrasing though. We can't solve these kinds of problems until more people move past worrying about the phrasing to acknowledge that there is an underlying problem.  
But phrasing is huge here, dude. HUGE.

White Privilege. Think about it.

I urge people not to propagate White Privilege, especially around children.

Instead, keep preaching justice for all & continue to guide them without guilt or the thought they're going to have an advantage over other races. Think about it.

I'm just a guy on the internet so ignore me &/or disagree if you want. That's fine.

Probably my final thought on it, but I felt strongly enough to address it.

Ugh. I've got to the point in the cycle I'm tuckered out on politics.

Only 3 topics for the next 5 months: Trump, Virus, Protests

God bless yall who can tolerate your head being slammed against the wall each day with this same stuff.

been my experience that opportunity knocks when you are working, regardless of the job in most cases.  nothing wrong about 7-11,  burger king starting out.
I agree that putting yourself out there, often in the course of busting your butt doing work, can improve the probability of getting exposed to opportunities.

White man

White woman

Black man

Black woman

If you had the choice, at birth, to be any of the above. Which one would you choose? Which one would offer you the greatest chance of success?

“Biden represents the old neoliberal order. He personifies the betrayal by the Democratic Party of working men and women that sparked the deep hatred of the ruling elites across the political spectrum. He is a gift to a demagogue and con artist like Trump, who at least understands that these elites are detested. Biden cannot plausibly offer change. He can only offer more of the same. And most Americans do not want more of the same. The country’s largest voting-age bloc, the 100 million-plus citizens who out of apathy or disgust do not vote, will once again stay home. This demoralization of the electorate is by design. It will, I expect, give Trump another term in office.

By voting for Biden, you endorse the humiliation of courageous women such as Anita Hill who confronted their abusers. You vote for the architects of the endless wars in the Middle East. You vote for the apartheid state in Israel. You vote for wholesale surveillance of the public by government intelligence agencies and the abolition of due process and habeas corpus. You vote for militarized police who gun down poor people of color with impunity.  You vote for punitive levels of student debt and the inability to free yourself of debt obligations through bankruptcy. You vote for the for-profit insurance and pharmaceutical corporations and against universal health care. You vote for bloated defense budgets. You vote for the use of unlimited oligarchic and corporate money to buy our elections. You vote for a politician who during his time in the Senate abjectly served the interests of MBNA, the largest independent credit card company headquartered in Delaware, which also employed Biden’s son Hunter.

There are no substantial political differences between the Democrats and Republicans. We have only the illusion of participatory democracy. The Democrats and their liberal apologists adopt tolerant positions on issues regarding race, religion, immigration, women’s rights and sexual identity and pretend this is politics. The right wing uses those on the margins of society as scapegoats. The culture wars mask the reality. Both parties are full partners in the reconfiguration of American society into a form of neofeudalism. It only depends on how you want it dressed up.

“By fostering an illusion among the powerless classes” that it can make their interests a priority, the Democratic Party “pacifies and thereby defines the style of an opposition party in an inverted totalitarian system,” political philosopher Sheldon Wolin writes.

The Democrats will once again offer up a least-worst alternative while, in fact, doing little or nothing to thwart the march toward corporate totalitarianism. What the public wants and deserves will again be ignored for what the corporate lobbyists demand.“

The One-Choice Election

Some polls in recent days about PA-01. It’s wealthy Philly burb district and one of very few Clinton won districts represented by a Republican. So it’s getting a bunch of attention.

Anyways, Fitzpatrick (R) is in a dead heat with the challenger which is pretty expected.

The eye catching part is Biden is running 10+points ahead of Trump in this Clinton +2 district.

If that holds up in PA and across the country like it did in 2018, Ds would be feeling good

Today’s polls are an absolute blood bath for Trump and they are from top of the line polling outfits. 

Biden +14 nationally in NYT/Siena

Biden + 8 in Wisconsin in Marquette.

I believe there might be an Ohio number coming from Q later as well.

But there’s an eternity between now and November. 

But there’s an eternity between now and November. 
Yeap. JMO but Trump really got exposed with his Daily Coronavirus press conferences. People who weren't paying attention to politics yet were watching those. I think people came away from those thinking. Really this is our president?

From Sportsbook.ag:

Biden -160
Trump +140

It was -135/+115 on Friday.  :coffee:

For some hotly contested states:

Florida is dead even.  -115 for each.  That's changed.
Pennsylvania is Biden -215/Trump +170 echoing what @Trey is saying.
Biden now the favorite (and in some cases a heavy favorite) in Arizona, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Having been burned by these before, I am not getting my hopes up again, but still, gotta like the way they are trending.

The Marquette Law poll is a pretty respected one in Wisconsin politics and it's interesting to note that their four previous polls had it Biden plus 3, plus 3, even and plus 4 (now plus 8). Things continue to look worse for the incumbent.

Trey said:

Today’s polls are an absolute blood bath for Trump and they are from top of the line polling outfits.

Biden +14 nationally in NYT/Siena
This poll also shows a statistical dead heat.......among white voters. Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread