What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Footballguys be renamed to be more inclusive? (1 Viewer)

Al O'Pecia

Footballguy
I was thinking about Joe's desire to rename "Random Shots" so as not to offend anyone.  That's commendable even if you disagree that "Random Shots" is offensive.  It shows that Joe is a good man with a big heart.

But how about the name of this site?  Footballguys is not an inclusive name.  It may alienate some women and two-spirits who don't identify as "guys", but are huge fans of football and this site with the exception of the name.

It's time, Joe.  Do the right thing.

Please recommend a new name for this site so we can show some progress toward more inclusion and less alienation.

I was thinking about Joe's desire to rename "Random Shots" so as not to offend anyone.  That's commendable even if you disagree that "Random Shots" is offensive.  It shows that Joe is a good man with a big heart.

But how about the name of this site?  Footballguys is not an inclusive name.  It may alienate some women and two-spirits who don't identify as "guys", but are huge fans of football and this site with the exception of the name.

Please recommend a new name for this site so we can show some progress toward more inclusion and less alienation.
I can get behind this.

I can get behind you too, Al. :wub:

I'm actually being serious in agreeing that once you start going down the road of being Hyper-PC, there is no end to questions like this that become relevant.

Even more legit would be the black-eyed Joe branding... that could be seen as promoting violence and abuse, correct?

It's even more concerning when pairing black-eyed Joe with the NFL's public perception of having a women abuse issue.

To be clear, I don't think there's any need to change either black-eyed Joe or Random Shots... only someone that is looking for "issues" with such things would ever find reason to object to them.

And if there's one thing I've learned, you absolutely can not please everyone - not even close.

:honda:

In a context such as this, "guys" no longer means men.
"Guys" could also be a reference to the site's staff instead of the readership....

Footballguys Staff

.... but then we're presented with a whole new dilemma.  Wow, that staff is non-inclusive.  Not a single woman on it, and I have to adjust my monitor hue to find even the slightest trace of melanin.

There seems to be a lack of recognition in the hiring practice that diversity is our strength.

"Guys" could also be a reference to the site's staff instead of the readership....

Footballguys Staff

.... but then we're presented with a whole new dilemma.  Wow, that staff is non-inclusive.  Not a single woman on it, and I have to adjust my monitor hue to find even the slightest trace of melanin.

There seems to be a lack of recognition in the hiring practice that diversity is our strength.
Lot's of diversity in that group. 

Footballguys Staff

How old is Waldman's photo there?

I am actually more offended by the logo itself. What, is that thing supposed to be representative of what we look like? Is it supposed to be representative of what crazy people look like? Seems like either way, it's throwing some fun at other's expense.

Footballguys Staff

That's what the new Footballguys Dark theme is actually for

Footballguys Staff

Larry Thomas has a pet bear, doesn't he.

Why is the "Changing The Name Of My Random Shots Column" thread closed?

I have the perfect name ... "Ball Gags" .... catchy and on point.

Footballguys Staff

I think Bob Magaw has a doppleganger. Perhaps a twin?  Probably a smart move to change your name if this is your brother. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/myfox8.com/2018/11/09/florida-principal-charged-with-stealing-900-from-9-year-old-with-disability/amp/

I don't get this. It's Joe's site. Nobody asked him to change the name of Random Shots, it bummed him out so he did it himself. Guy isn't bowing to the "PC police", he's just doing what he thinks is best.

Again, he owns the site. You work at Kroger.

I am actually more offended by the logo itself. What, is that thing supposed to be representative of what we look like? Is it supposed to be representative of what crazy people look like? Seems like either way, it's throwing some fun at other's expense.
Reminds me of big companies that create ads that make their customers look like total idiots.

I think they should call it Pro Football Focus to keep the inappropriate use of genders out of it. 

To be clear, I don't think there's any need to change either black-eyed Joe or Random Shots...
I dunno. I think there should be a note stating that he passed Cartoon Concussion Protocol and that the image should in now way be interpreted as an endorsement of violence, cartoon or real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Business is bad eh?  Joe recently changed the title of the Josh Gordon thread and complained that there was too much "inside jokes" or something going on and that the fourm might not be as accessible to new people.

I think sanitizing everything and making it all vanilla will have the opposite effect.  Current and long time users will get bored and annoyed by the changes and new users won't see the culture and liveliness that would've sucked them in.

Users who are viewing this thread