What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Dan Arnold, NFL TE (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Had him on my radar after some camp buzz. Picked him up this week after saw he was starting to get worked into rotation. Did not watch game and only saw his TD highlight which looked great. How did he look in the game? Seem like a great add to me. Converted WR in a TE friendly offense with a 47-year old starting TE equals lots of opportunity. If the talent is there we could be looking at a 2019 TE1. Basically this year's Trey Burton.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked better than ok. The problem is what happens when Brees is gone. Certainly a weapon now because of speed & size but there are a lot of mouths to feed and he's low man on the totem pole.

True.

Yet he had 28 plays the week before those games. And no catches.

*but I'm not against adding Arnold at all. This certainly could make the team consider their options with him.

Added him in a couple of my leagues last week...he may have played less snaps but I believe he is the only one catching passes, and he even got looked at on a 3rd and 2 late in the game where they coulda ran the clock out if they get it but he didn’t quite come up with it tho the defender did a good job on the pass. I’m not surprised he would be getting out snapped tho, remember he is a undrafted FA from some small Wisconsin school so I’m sure there’s a lot for him to learn yet but so far he’s doing solid in the pass catching role there using him in which should mean more playing time/reps as the season goes on

How did he look in the game?
The TD catch was fantastic, beautiful diving over the shoulder catch. He had one more opportunity for a TD but the DB stuck his arm in to block the throw. There was another play late where Brees showed enormous trust in Arnold when he threw to him deep down the sideline IIRC throwing from near the Saints’ 10. Reminded me of the stuff he used to throw to Graham, but Arnold couldn’t hold it. 

I think this is obvious, but the Saints were without their preseason 2nd, 3rd & 4th WRs last night. This was a team that needed bodies to catch passes. However this is exactly the kind of wrinkle that Payton likes to work in over the course of a season. 

I've had Arnold on my hot list for awhile, but became more interested when I learned he was actually 240 instead of 220 (his listed weight) & has become a serviceable blocker. Those things, along with this past week's usage, tilted the scales enough to where I added him. 

I could see Arnold emerging next season as he gets more PT. He doesn't have a lot in the way to become their starter. I was initially worried Arnold may not ever be a good enough blocker to be a starting TE, but apparently that's not the case. His biggest hurdle seems to be the transition from WR to TE which just happened this season after being on IR last year. 

Payton compared Arnold to Jay Novacek & is said to be high on him. He's a great stash, IMO.

Put him on a couple teams after that TD as well.  All my leagues are either TE premium or 2TE so TE's are always impossible to find.  

Two-year bump. All he has is blocking TE Maxx Williams  in front of him in Arizona. Still only 25. 

Flashed late in season with some TDs and 17ypc. 

He's basically like another WR with his frame.  I might roll the dice again here. :)  

Dan Arnold has a chance to make a real impact in Arizona

Cardinals TE Dan Arnold

has a chance to make a “real impact” this season in Arizona as the top pass-catching tight end option for QB Kyler Murray. (The Athletic) 

Fantasy Impact:

Multiple analysts pegged the Arizona Cardinals as a team that would surely target a tight end in the Draft, but they didn’t end up selecting one. They seem content to go into the season with Arnold, Maxx Williams, and Darrell Daniels. Out of the three, it’s Arnold who is believed to be the best bet to make some noise in the passing game. The Cardinals picked up the 6’6” TE from New Orleans late last season. He played three games for them, catching six balls for 102 yards and two touchdowns. The team believes he has the ability to dominate in the redzone as a big target for Murray and hopes he can produce for them from the tight end position this season.

Cardinals TE Dan Arnold was named among the team's 2020 breakout candidates. 

Cardinals correspondents Craig Grialou and Mike Jurecki, who work for the team, included Arnold in a short list of Arizona players who could surprise this year. At 6'6" and 220 pounds, Jurecki said Arnold will create mismatches with smaller safeties and slower linebackers. Arnold could be utilized in the slot, especially in the red zone, according to the correspondents, who talked up Arnold's "immediate chemistry" with Kyler Murray. In three games with Arizona last season, Arnold caught eight of 14 targets for 127 yards and two touchdowns. The third-year tight end will compete with Maxx Williams for playing time this season. 

SOURCE: Arizona Cardinals 

Aug 6, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

Been eying this guy up everywhere. I was pleased to hear some hype on some podcasts justifying my thoughts. I think it was Fantasy Footballers that had a guy who was very high. It’s kind of a joke for them now but the guy who thinks Dan Arnold is a thing may have the last laugh. 

Apparently when Kyler Murray plays Madden he ALWAYS looks for Dan Arnold in the Red Zone. While it’s a video game, that is still interesting to me. 

AzCardinals.com reports December waiver claim Dan Arnold has "quickly proven to be the Cardinals' top pass-catching threat" at tight end.

The Cardinals' pro personnel department apparently had their eye on Arnold before the Saints waived him and "pounced" once they did. Maxx Williams is still considered the team's starter, but it is becoming apparent that 6-foot-6 Arnold will get a chance to carve out a role in the red zone. 

SOURCE: azcardinals.com 

Aug 24, 2020, 11:09 PM ET

Dan Arnold caught all three of his targets for 46 yards in the Cardinals' Week 17 loss to the Rams.

A bit player early in his career with the Saints, Arnold became the Cardinals' top tight end this season, playing a career-high 41% of the snaps and setting highs in targets (45), catches (31), yards (438), and touchdowns (four), averaging a strong 14.1 yards per catch. Athletic and lanky at 6'5/222, Arnold is headed for free agency this offseason. He's a playmaker at the position but likely won't be counted on to start anywhere.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:17 AM ET

The Charlotte Observer's Alaina Getzenberg reports Sam Darnold and Dan Arnold have shown a "strong connection" at Panthers camp.

Arnold inked a two-year deal with the Panthers in the offseason after setting career highs across the board with his 31-438-4 line on 45 targets with the Cardinals last season. Ultra athletic for a tight end at 6'6/220, Arnold is former wide receiver and is getting plenty of reps with the Panthers' first-team offense. The Athletic's Joe Person notes Arnold has "caught a lot of passes" over the past week. He's yet another deep cut name to watch at tight end for fantasy, as Arnold currently isn't being drafted in 12-team leagues.

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter

Aug 5, 2021, 10:27 AM ET

Dan Arnold caught 3-of-4 targets for 55 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 win against the Saints. 

Ian Thomas, meanwhile, had two targets and ran just three fewer routes (13) than Arnold (16). It appears Arnold -- who recorded two grabs for six yards in Week 1 -- is going to share pass-catching duties with Thomas. Neither Arnold nor Thomas will be much more than touchdown-dependent options this season with D.J. Moore, Robby Anderson, and Terrace Marshall commanding targets from Sam Darnold. 

RELATED: 

Ian Thomas

Sep 20, 2021, 8:52 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are trading Dan Arnold and a third-round draft pick to the Jaguars in exchange for CB C.J. Henderson. 

Henderson has reportedly been on the trading block since August. With Carolina needing secondary help after losing Jaycee Horn indefinitely to a foot injury, the Panthers made the move, dealing Arnold to Jacksonville. The Jags lost James O'Shaughnessy (ankle) for at least a few weeks and started journeyman TE Jacob Hollister Sunday against Arizona. Arnold should immediately step in as the team's top pass-catching tight end in an offense that made O'Shaughnessy fantasy viable for the season's first couple weeks. Arnold has flashed when given the chance. He had seven catches for 84 yards in three games with the Panthers. Rookie Tommy Tremble -- who caught a 30-yard pass and scored on a short rushing attempt in Week 3 -- profiles as Carolina's pass-catching tight end after Arnold's departure. The Darnold-to-Arnold era was short lived.

Dan Arnold caught 2-of-2 targets for 29 yards in the Jaguars' Week 4 loss to the Bengals. 

You would be forgiven if you can't distinguish that box score from one of Arnold's Panthers lines, but it is encouraging that he was involved at all this evening just three days after coming over in a trade from Carolina. Arnold's arrival coincided with D.J. Chark's likely loss for the season with a fractured ankle. The TE2 dream remains alive, but you don't need us to tell you this is still a limited-ceiling player. 

Oct 1, 2021, 12:08 AM ET

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said he "loves" TE Dan Arnold. 

Arnold led Jacksonville tight ends last week with 11 pass routes, catching both of his targets for 29 yards in a Thursday night loss to the Bengals. His limited role is likely to expand with increased playbook familiarity after landing in Jacksonville two weeks ago. In an offense that gave routes and targets to James O'Shaughnessy before he was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury, Arnold should have some fantasy appeal in deeper formats. Arnold in 2020 was seventh among tight ends in fantasy points over expectation. 

RELATED: 

James O'Shaughnessy

SOURCE: Gene Frenette on Twitter 

Oct 8, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

Dan Arnold caught 4-of-7 targets for 60 yards in the Jaguars' Week 9 win over the Bills.

Arnold had a very nice catch along the sideline, although the throw actually came from C.J. Beathard, not Trevor Lawrence. Beathard's throw was a bizarre looking floater, so it's not like Beathard and Arnold showed a strong connection. Lawrence should have more success against the Colts in Week 10, which will make Arnold interesting as a low-end TE1 option. Arnold has led the Jaguars in receiving yards for two consecutive weeks.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Dan Arnold (knee) is questionable to return to the Jaguars' Week 12 game against the Falcons. 

Arnold went down in the second quarter while securing his first target of the day. He stayed down for a moment before walking off the field to get examined by a trainer. Jacob Hollister and  Luke Farrell were scratched today, putting Chris Manhertz or James O'Shaughnessy into the lineup until Arnold returns. 

Nov 28, 2021, 1:58 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Dan Arnold suffered an MCL sprain in Week 12 and will miss 4-6 weeks. 

The upper range for Arnold's return would end his season. It's a disappointing end to what amounted to a breakout campaign in an eight-game run as the Jaguars' No. 1 pass catcher. James O'Shaughnessy subbed in for Arnold in Week 12 against Atlanta and ran a pass route on 81.9 percent of Jacksonville's drop backs, commanding four targets. O'Shaughnessy should be picked up this week by TE-needy fantasy managers. He'll play a Chargers defense allowing a 23.4 percent target share to tight ends, the sixth highest rate in the league. 

RELATED: 

James O'Shaughnessy

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 29, 2021, 10:44 AM ET

Jaguars placed Dan Arnold (knee) on injured reserve. 

Arnold could technically return in Week 16, but reportedly facing a 4-6 week recovery from an MCL sprain, it is more likely his season is over. Acquired via a trade with the Panthers early in the season, Arnold established himself as the primary pass catcher in a putrid Jaguars offense, catching 28 passes for 324 yards in eight games. Jacksonville has a lot of questions to answer in the offseason, but Arnold looks like he can at least play a role once the offense gets turned around. 

Nov 30, 2021, 6:13 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread