Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

[DYNASTY] Dan Arnold, NFL TE

tombonneau

Had him on my radar after some camp buzz. Picked him up this week after saw he was starting to get worked into rotation. Did not watch game and only saw his TD highlight which looked great. How did he look in the game? Seem like a great add to me. Converted WR in a TE friendly offense with a 47-year old starting TE equals lots of opportunity. If the talent is there we could be looking at a 2019 TE1. Basically this year's Trey Burton.

Thoughts?

Edited by tombonneau

Added him in a couple of my leagues last week...he may have played less snaps but I believe he is the only one catching passes, and he even got looked at on a 3rd and 2 late in the game where they coulda ran the clock out if they get it but he didn’t quite come up with it tho the defender did a good job on the pass. I’m not surprised he would be getting out snapped tho, remember he is a undrafted FA from some small Wisconsin school so I’m sure there’s a lot for him to learn yet but so far he’s doing solid in the pass catching role there using him in which should mean more playing time/reps as the season goes on

6 hours ago, tombonneau said:

How did he look in the game?

The TD catch was fantastic, beautiful diving over the shoulder catch. He had one more opportunity for a TD but the DB stuck his arm in to block the throw. There was another play late where Brees showed enormous trust in Arnold when he threw to him deep down the sideline IIRC throwing from near the Saints’ 10. Reminded me of the stuff he used to throw to Graham, but Arnold couldn’t hold it. 

I think this is obvious, but the Saints were without their preseason 2nd, 3rd & 4th WRs last night. This was a team that needed bodies to catch passes. However this is exactly the kind of wrinkle that Payton likes to work in over the course of a season. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

I've had Arnold on my hot list for awhile, but became more interested when I learned he was actually 240 instead of 220 (his listed weight) & has become a serviceable blocker. Those things, along with this past week's usage, tilted the scales enough to where I added him. 

I could see Arnold emerging next season as he gets more PT. He doesn't have a lot in the way to become their starter. I was initially worried Arnold may not ever be a good enough blocker to be a starting TE, but apparently that's not the case. His biggest hurdle seems to be the transition from WR to TE which just happened this season after being on IR last year. 

Payton compared Arnold to Jay Novacek & is said to be high on him. He's a great stash, IMO.

• 1 year later...

Two-year bump. All he has is blocking TE Maxx Williams  in front of him in Arizona. Still only 25. 

Flashed late in season with some TDs and 17ypc. 

He's basically like another WR with his frame.  I might roll the dice again here. :) 

Dan Arnold has a chance to make a real impact in Arizona

Cardinals TE Dan Arnold

has a chance to make a “real impact” this season in Arizona as the top pass-catching tight end option for QB Kyler Murray. (The Athletic) 

Fantasy Impact:

Multiple analysts pegged the Arizona Cardinals as a team that would surely target a tight end in the Draft, but they didn’t end up selecting one. They seem content to go into the season with Arnold, Maxx Williams, and Darrell Daniels. Out of the three, it’s Arnold who is believed to be the best bet to make some noise in the passing game. The Cardinals picked up the 6’6” TE from New Orleans late last season. He played three games for them, catching six balls for 102 yards and two touchdowns. The team believes he has the ability to dominate in the redzone as a big target for Murray and hopes he can produce for them from the tight end position this season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cardinals TE Dan Arnold was named among the team's 2020 breakout candidates. 

Cardinals correspondents Craig Grialou and Mike Jurecki, who work for the team, included Arnold in a short list of Arizona players who could surprise this year. At 6'6" and 220 pounds, Jurecki said Arnold will create mismatches with smaller safeties and slower linebackers. Arnold could be utilized in the slot, especially in the red zone, according to the correspondents, who talked up Arnold's "immediate chemistry" with Kyler Murray. In three games with Arizona last season, Arnold caught eight of 14 targets for 127 yards and two touchdowns. The third-year tight end will compete with Maxx Williams for playing time this season. 

SOURCE: Arizona Cardinals 

Aug 6, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

Been eying this guy up everywhere. I was pleased to hear some hype on some podcasts justifying my thoughts. I think it was Fantasy Footballers that had a guy who was very high. It’s kind of a joke for them now but the guy who thinks Dan Arnold is a thing may have the last laugh. 

Apparently when Kyler Murray plays Madden he ALWAYS looks for Dan Arnold in the Red Zone. While it’s a video game, that is still interesting to me. 

Edited by Johnny B. Goode

• 2 weeks later...

AzCardinals.com reports December waiver claim Dan Arnold has "quickly proven to be the Cardinals' top pass-catching threat" at tight end.

The Cardinals' pro personnel department apparently had their eye on Arnold before the Saints waived him and "pounced" once they did. Maxx Williams is still considered the team's starter, but it is becoming apparent that 6-foot-6 Arnold will get a chance to carve out a role in the red zone. 

SOURCE: azcardinals.com 

Aug 24, 2020, 11:09 PM ET

• 4 months later...

Dan Arnold caught all three of his targets for 46 yards in the Cardinals' Week 17 loss to the Rams.

A bit player early in his career with the Saints, Arnold became the Cardinals' top tight end this season, playing a career-high 41% of the snaps and setting highs in targets (45), catches (31), yards (438), and touchdowns (four), averaging a strong 14.1 yards per catch. Athletic and lanky at 6'5/222, Arnold is headed for free agency this offseason. He's a playmaker at the position but likely won't be counted on to start anywhere.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:17 AM ET

• 7 months later...

The Charlotte Observer's Alaina Getzenberg reports Sam Darnold and Dan Arnold have shown a "strong connection" at Panthers camp.

Arnold inked a two-year deal with the Panthers in the offseason after setting career highs across the board with his 31-438-4 line on 45 targets with the Cardinals last season. Ultra athletic for a tight end at 6'6/220, Arnold is former wide receiver and is getting plenty of reps with the Panthers' first-team offense. The Athletic's Joe Person notes Arnold has "caught a lot of passes" over the past week. He's yet another deep cut name to watch at tight end for fantasy, as Arnold currently isn't being drafted in 12-team leagues.

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter

Aug 5, 2021, 10:27 AM ET

• tombonneau changed the title to [DYNASTY] Dan Arnold, NFL TE
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, UncleZen said:

Darnold to Arnold connection heating up!

Is this the year we finally learn who Arnold is? I basically punted on the TE position this year so now I'm digging for that super sleeper TE.

The article is from the start of August.  I've got him in a deep league so I would be all for his breakout, but I don't see it.  Everett sea is who you're looking for as your sleeper te

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Arnold caught 3-of-4 targets for 55 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 win against the Saints. 

Ian Thomas, meanwhile, had two targets and ran just three fewer routes (13) than Arnold (16). It appears Arnold -- who recorded two grabs for six yards in Week 1 -- is going to share pass-catching duties with Thomas. Neither Arnold nor Thomas will be much more than touchdown-dependent options this season with D.J. Moore, Robby Anderson, and Terrace Marshall commanding targets from Sam Darnold. 

RELATED: 

Ian Thomas

Sep 20, 2021, 8:52 AM ET