What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (2 Viewers)

Russell Wilson is on pace for 320 pass attempts, actually, which is pretty sure some low volume. 
Hard to extrapolate one game, but yes, I don't think anyone expects Seattle to become a bombs away team unless their defense completely falls apart (which is unlikely).

Hard to extrapolate one game, but yes, I don't think anyone expects Seattle to become a bombs away team unless their defense completely falls apart (which is unlikely).
I was going to say that a one-game sample is too small, but then figured I'd go along to get along and just stick with the math. The point was made all off-season about their low volume last year, and they certainly came as advertised in the first iteration of the year. 

I was going to say that a one-game sample is too small, but then figured I'd go along to get along and just stick with the math. The point was made all off-season about their low volume last year, and they certainly came as advertised in the first iteration of the year. 
It's pretty much a mindset with Carroll and Schottenheimer. You and I both know as Jets fans how conservative Schotty is.

That just reminded me how much I miss watching Marshawn run just around the time Seattle was getting great. That was a guy, who in his prime, gave a new sporting meaning to an old word and deserved ownership of its trademark. 

I picked him up cause my choices at WR3 aren't very good.   I think there is a good chance that Metcalf has a decent game against a Steelers defense that was shredded last week.

The main point being, they weren't lying this off season. For those of us holding out some hope of Russell Wilson returning to the normal passing volume of the 2017 days, well that dream is lost. The defense is good enough to keep most games close so we won't even get many ketchup pass attempts out of them.

Shotty will make his old man proud with this offense.

The main point being, they weren't lying this off season. For those of us holding out some hope of Russell Wilson returning to the normal passing volume of the 2017 days, well that dream is lost. The defense is good enough to keep most games close so we won't even get many ketchup pass attempts out of them.

Shotty will make his old man proud with this offense.
Yeah, that's why I ignored the math and the sample size, because the main point was indeed there to be made, and you made it.

That just reminded me how much I miss watching Marshawn run just around the time Seattle was getting great. That was a guy, who in his prime, gave a new sporting meaning to an old word and deserved ownership of its trademark. 
One of my all time faves. One of the best characters off the field as well. That team was so much fun to be a fan of.

One of my all time faves. One of the best characters off the field as well. That team was so much fun to be a fan of.
My halcyon days of fantasy football and learning about it were right around the time Seattle really stunk with Tarvaris to when they suddenly gained respectability and then got really, really good with Russell. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hawks aren't going to sling it around unless something crazy happens. Their defense is gonna suck for awhile probably so their schtick is to keep it close and let Wilson win it in the 4th quarter. He's been super efficient with his TD passes so even with only 5-6 looks a game Metcalf can be useful with the hope of a big game or 2 mixed in if it breaks right.

My halcyon days of fantasy football and learning about it were right around the time Seattle really stunk with Tarvaris to when they suddenly gained respectability and then got really, really good with Russell. 
I moved out here when they were garbage. I didn't even really watch football, more of a baseball and general sports fan.

The new stadium and the arrival of Holmgren/Hasselbeck and the robbed Super Bowl season, and the emergence of Fantasy Football got me on board. Beastquake run and the Legion of Boom put the hooks in me. 

Starting him in my dynasty league.. it’ll be a rollercoaster this year but the big games will be fun. I’m planting my flag on this thread as well. 

i don't think their schedule can hold up to such a weighted approach to rushing.  they're going to get behind in a lot of them.

i don't think their schedule can hold up to such a weighted approach to rushing.  they're going to get behind in a lot of them.
Owning Lockett is rough due to the lack of passing but I may claim Metcalf too just because of the talent.   The Seahwks will have to pass a little more in most games.  Right?

Owning Lockett is rough due to the lack of passing but I may claim Metcalf too just because of the talent.   The Seahwks will have to pass a little more in most games.  Right?
If he is what many think, he’s going to get targets regardless of their offensive approach IMO. 

He looked better than I expected and that was after missing how many weeks with an injury. 

Would anyone play Metcalf over Lockett?
At the expense of going off a one-week trend, that's my plan this week. Just think that Metcalf has more upside and is a better red zone option. 

Also helps if Lockett's back is still hampering by Sunday.

He is what I imagine it would be like to watch Lebron James play football. Can he overcome 1) injuries....2) low volume passing attack....3) limited route tree (less concerning IMO)? A lot of interesting positives but still some major hurdles to overcome to become a consistent FF producer.

1) injuries....2) low volume passing attack....3) limited route tree (less concerning IMO)? A lot of interesting positives but still some major hurdles to overcome to become a consistent FF producer.
I'm not worried about the route tree even a little bit. I've seen him run a slant, comeback, out, out and up, go, and dig. Those are the main ones really and everything else is a luxury, like air conditioning. All the evidence points to him learning and improving, so in due time he will do it all.

The low volume is an issue, especially when so many targets go to the RBs. Unless he can somehow get 30% of the targets, which is like half the WR share - highly unlikely. Redraft, he's probably a WR3-4. Dynasty, definitely a hold; and you're hoping the Seabirds fire Shotty sooner rather than later, but you know it will happen eventually.

I'd be pretty happy so far if I owned him. I am skeptical of the long term but hes certainly not a bust. Not a stud at this point but so far pretty good

DK Metcalf caught 3-of-7 targets for 61 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 2 win over the Steelers.

Metcalf made a nice 16-yard grab on an off-target throw on the Seahawks' first play of the game and then stiff-armed two players on his second grab before running by a safety for a 28-yard touchdown on third reception. He's a gazelle in the open field with the power of a rhinoceros to flick defenders off him. Metcalf will be a high-upside WR3/4 next week against the Saints.

I'd be pretty happy so far if I owned him. I am skeptical of the long term but hes certainly not a bust. Not a stud at this point but so far pretty good
Stud. The first of many multiple TD games isn’t far off. 

As a Lockett owner in dynasty, it sucks to admit it, but this guy will be the 1A/1B receiving threat this season. And definitely the number on threat in the red zone. 

Wilson seems to love him. 

Unowned in my short bench redraft league. This guy has to be a top waiver priority for a WR starved team.

That TD was a thing of beauty. Loving the targets.

I have DK rostered in two out of three leagues. The third league was my first draft and I learned. This young man is :football: .

Okay, I kid. His snap count was around 70, tied with Lockett. Bring it on and choo choo, cha baby. 

Unowned in my short bench redraft league. This guy has to be a top waiver priority for a WR starved team.

That TD was a thing of beauty. Loving the targets.
Except for him bobbling it around....lol. He does look like a beast out there though, just hope he can stay on the field. 

PFF Rankings: Highest-graded rookies in the NFL through Week 2

Excerpt:

10. WR D.K. METCALF, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS – 71.6

At the 2019 NFL Combine, D.K. Metcalf made people think he wasn’t human by running a 4.33s 40-yard time at 230 pounds, but he literally made people laugh with his 7.38s three-cone time. Consequently, those across the league and in the media labeled Metcalf a go-route-only receiver and said he wasn’t worth taking in the first-round – thus, he fell Seattle with the last pick of the second round. However, through two weeks of play, Metcalf has shown his inane go-route talent is well worth a first-round pick.

Seven of his 13 targets have been on go route, and his 91.1 receiving grade on those targets is the best in the league and his 86 yards are tied for the most. Overall, Metcalf has produced six explosive plays (second-most), 2.42 yards per route run, a 120.7 passer rating when targeted and three catches on four contested targets, all while catching 100% of his catchable targets.

So quiet in here....impressive start though. If Seattle can start protecting Russ even a little bit better this guy could take off even more. They are in a division with three other teams that can score points which bodes well.

Why rated so low this week? Seattle might have a few extra possessions with Bridgewater stalling out drives on the other side. 
Rated low because Lattimore and Apple, the CBs on the Saints, are generally considered pretty good in coverage, or at least I think.

:shrugs:

DK Metcalf was the recipient of two catches for 67 yards on six targets Sunday in the Seahawks’ Week 3 loss to the Saints.

His biggest contribution came in the form of a 54-yard catch, the longest completion for either team, on the final play of the first half. Metcalf some out reeled it in despite tight coverage from Marshon Lattimore. The rookie has converted just nine of 19 targets this year (47.4-percent success rate), but has still cleared 60 yards in each of his three games. He should have a field day next week against an Arizona secondary that was just torched by Panthers backup Kyle Allen.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:59 PM ET

DK Metcalf was the recipient of two catches for 67 yards on six targets Sunday in the Seahawks’ Week 3 loss to the Saints.

His biggest contribution came in the form of a 54-yard catch, the longest completion for either team, on the final play of the first half. Metcalf some out reeled it in despite tight coverage from Marshon Lattimore. The rookie has converted just nine of 19 targets this year (47.4-percent success rate), but has still cleared 60 yards in each of his three games. He should have a field day next week against an Arizona secondary that was just torched by Panthers backup Kyle Allen.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:59 PM ET
I'm not sure that "contribution" is the right word for a meaningless play that took place with zeroes on the clock. 

Can't pretend I thought he was anything but boom or bust.

Fact is Lockett is really, really good and unquestionably the first guy Wilson looks for.

It's the emergence of Dissly that is hurting Metcalf more.

He'll still have big play ability, but hard to truly depend on his production outside of being a matchup-dependent flex starter. Now with Dissly, that makes it that much harder to depend on.

I'm not sure that "contribution" is the right word for a meaningless play that took place with zeroes on the clock. 
To be clear, it was extremely close to being just before time expired.  Just some bad luck the timeout couldn't get called before the clock hit zero there--missed by half a beat.

Dissley killing value once again -- Metcalf had a few targets early on desperation plays, but otherwise not getting set plays or targeted.

It's all Dissley today.

If he doesn't turn it around today, fear that going forward, Metcalf may become expendable for fantasy teams seeking for a reliable floor.

Not sure what to think of Metcalf at this point in redraft.   He lost snaps to David Moore, dropping down to being on the field for 63% of their plays.    He did get two more red zone looks, and leads the NFL with 7 red zone targets now.   But he ended up with 1 catch on four targets for 6 yards.   Seems like his highest value will be when the Hawks are playing from behind.   He's still limited in which route trees he can run.   

My WR3 spot is Metcalf/Chark/McLaurin, so I started him this week because of McLaurin's hammy.   I don't see getting any value trading Metcalf, and he's got some potential.   I assume because I'm in a league with short benches I'm going to end up just cutting him week 10 or week 12 due to bye week problems unless he takes off.

Not sure what to think of Metcalf at this point in redraft.   He lost snaps to David Moore, dropping down to being on the field for 63% of their plays.    He did get two more red zone looks, and leads the NFL with 7 red zone targets now.   But he ended up with 1 catch on four targets for 6 yards.   Seems like his highest value will be when the Hawks are playing from behind.   He's still limited in which route trees he can run.   

My WR3 spot is Metcalf/Chark/McLaurin, so I started him this week because of McLaurin's hammy.   I don't see getting any value trading Metcalf, and he's got some potential.   I assume because I'm in a league with short benches I'm going to end up just cutting him week 10 or week 12 due to bye week problems unless he takes off.
Very simpatico with your situation. My flex is Metcalf/Chark/Sutton. Metcalf is expendable going forward to help cover byes.

You nailed it -- he will explode in a game or two, especially when Hawks are behind or opponent is soft against the deep bomb. But good luck predicting it, and overall I'm good with leaving a few good games on the table in favor of consistency I can actually use with more reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread