What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (1 Viewer)

He’s got great potential but as with many rookies, he’s going to have some ups and downs.

That said, the bigger issue is that Lockett is a really, really good WR that catches just about everything. And Wilson looks for him a lot.

DK Metcalf caught 2-of-3 targets for 44 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 5 win over the Rams.

Sprung by play action, Metcalf's score was a 40-yarder where he scorched frequent big-play allower Marcus Peters. Metcalf has quickly established home run upside, but his usage leaves something to be desired. He has just 13 total looks over the past three weeks. Those kind of target counts are going to make it difficult to maintain WR3 value on a weekly basis. Seattle heads to Cleveland for Week 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see him making the big play but he seems to be losing snaps to Brown and Moore. Dissly has also been stealing targets. In a bind he is a “what the heck” flex due to a big play possibility but doesn’t appear to be consistent enough to count on a weekly basis. Hopefully he can continue to develop his route running for dynasty owners and become a staple in an offense that is lead by one of the leagues best quarterbacks.

Great to see him making the big play but he seems to be losing snaps to Brown and Moore. Dissly has also been stealing targets. In a bind he is a “what the heck” flex due to a big play possibility but doesn’t appear to be consistent enough to count on a weekly basis. Hopefully he can continue to develop his route running for dynasty owners and become a staple in an offense that is lead by one of the leagues best quarterbacks.
This is a good summary, As my first time watching him last night, it seems like he played more on 1st/2nd down as an option that can stretch the defense on play-action, when there were more obvious passing situations it seemed to be more of Brown and Moore out there.  He did almost have a second TD that just went off his fingers but it looks like his target share is going to be limited by his route running and Seattle run-heavy tendency.  Still seems like he could make WR3/4 value in redraft and hes got a path to real value in dynasty if he gets more comfortable.

For a rookie 5 games in, I am happy with what i've seen so far. I see potential written all over this guy. Seattle drafts well, Metcalf is a burner... He made Peters look worse than he already does lol

Although I'm happy with the production so far, I'm not as excited for him redraft this year. So many times Russell looks his way but holds it, doesnt trust him or something.

DK Metcalf caught 4-of-9 targets for 53 yards in the Seahawks' Week 7 loss to the Ravens.

The nine targets marked a new season-best for Metcalf, but this was mostly an afternoon to forget for the rookie. He lost a laughable fumble in the fourth quarter with the Seahawks trailing by 10 points. Metcalf caught a short pass to the left, attempted to switch the ball to his other hand, and simply dropped the ball on the ground for the Ravens to scoop it up and run it back for their second defensive touchdown of the day. Metcalf gets a gorgeous draw against the Falcons in Week 8.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:01 PM ET

Ran some good routes today. got one guy all turned around on a short route. The stupid 3 cone drill showing it's a dumb measuring stick for huge WRs.

I made a lowball offer for a high priced TE in TE premium a few days ago.  That offer included Metcalf.  It wasn't a good offer and he declined by saying he wanted multiple 1st round pieces for his TE (which I don't blame him) but I thought it was funny that he told me Metcalf isn't worth a 1st.  Wonder how he feels now?  

DK Metcalf netted six catches for 123 yards and a touchdown on nine targets while also mixing in a seven-yard carry Sunday in the Seahawks’ Week 9 win over the Buccaneers.

Metcalf was everywhere Sunday, chipping in with a two-point conversion, a 53-yard touchdown dash that made Jamel Dean (4.30 forty time) look he was running in quick sand and countless other highlights that wouldn't fit in this moderately-sized blurb (our CMS has a strict character limit). Metcalf, a Greek god who left Athens to pursue a football career, was at his best when the stakes were highest, coming through with one clutch catch after another in the fourth quarter and overtime. He helped facilitate the game-winning touchdown with a sprawling 29-yard grab to set up first-and-goal remaining in overtime. Now the leading receiver among rookies with 525 yards, the second-rounder could wind up as the steal of the 2019 Draft. Metcalf will take his act on the road in Week 10, where the undefeated Niners will await his presence on Monday Night Football.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:55 PM ET

I started Metcalf in my Flex and am pleasantly surprised. I also started Lockett in the double WR stack along with Evans. Even with all these points I don't have a guaranteed win with Barkley going tonight. Definitely high points in a 12-team league, but I am playing against the team with second high points and they have Tate going.

Because of short benches (4), SF D, Flash, a week 11 bye wondering if I seek to sell high on this super freak lol. May have to figure out holding Metcalf. I wonder what he's worth now? I really don't think his value has fully caught up with him yet. Plus, just like I have Murray as Kamara's handcuff / potential Flex play, I've heard that Metcalf is in a similar handcuff situation to Lockett?

I love the WR stack! Finally mustered up the courage to start them both this week.

Lockett

Metcalf

Had Dissly too.

My other Flex start, J Williams, GB also has a week 11 bye.

I started Metcalf in my Flex and am pleasantly surprised. I also started Lockett in the double WR stack along with Evans. Even with all these points I don't have a guaranteed win with Barkley going tonight. Definitely high points in a 12-team league, but I am playing against the team with second high points and they have Tate going.

Because of short benches (4), SF D, Flash, a week 11 bye wondering if I seek to sell high on this super freak lol. May have to figure out holding Metcalf. I wonder what he's worth now? I really don't think his value has fully caught up with him yet. Plus, just like I have Murray as Kamara's handcuff / potential Flex play, I've heard that Metcalf is in a similar handcuff situation to Lockett?

I love the WR stack! Finally mustered up the courage to start them both this week.

Lockett

Metcalf

Had Dissly too.

Your got Gordon too?

Lockett

Metcalf

Had Dissly too.

Your got Gordon too?
Nope

Rookie sensation DK Metcalf has earned Russell Wilson’s trust — and it’s showing for the Seahawks

RENTON — Russell Wilson liked that his rookie wide receiver would get up at 5:20 a.m. to join him for their first throwing sessions together this summer in Los Angeles.

Wilson likes that the rookie continues to sit in the front row during team meetings, taking studious notes, eager to learn.

And, certainly, Wilson likes what DK Metcalf has done in his first nine games for the 7-2 Seahawks.

“He’s very mature in how he goes about his business,” Wilson said Friday, adding: “He’s just prepared every day. He’s prepared to be a true pro, to try to be great. He’s on his way just by his work ethic. I think that’s the most important thing.”

Metcalf had six catches for 123 yards, both career highs, in the Seahawks’ overtime victory over Tampa Bay, and he figures to again be a marquee target for Wilson in his first “Monday Night Football” game at San Francisco.

“I can feel him trusting me more,” Metcalf said of his quarterback. “You’re seeing it firsthand how much he’s trusting me. Just continue to build on that and hopefully get to a level to where him and Tyler (Lockett) are.”

That trust was on display in some of the most crucial moments against Tampa Bay.

Late in the fourth quarter, Wilson hit Metcalf in stride on a crossing route, and the rookie turned up field in front of the Tampa Bay sideline and sprinted away from rookie cornerback Jamel Dean for a 53-yard touchdown.

Then in overtime, on third-and-six from the Tampa 35-yard line, Metcalf again lined up in man-to-man coverage against Dean. Metcalf ran a stop-and-go route, and Wilson floated a high pass down the left sideline. Metcalf made the catch falling backward at the 6-yard line, holding on despite Dean’s grab of his facemask, and despite his mouthguard popping out and up in the air.

“There was a lot going on,” Metcalf said. “It was a physical play. Russ puts the ball in the perfect position and just turned around and made a play.”

Metcalf, 6-foot-4 and 229 pounds, is still just 21 years old (he turns 22 on Dec. 14), and he leads all NFL rookies in receiving yards, with 525 yards on his 29 catches; his five touchdowns are tied with Washington’s Terry McLaurin for the league lead for rookies; and his 18.1 yards per catch rank seventh among all NFL receivers.

“We love what he’s doing and how he’s contributing. Wish he could get the ball more because he’s so capable,” coach Pete Carroll said. “The crossing routes that he caught, the deep balls we’ve seen him catch. Getting down the field and making plays under duress and all that. There are no restrictions on his game at all. We’ve just got to keep going.”

The Seahawks traded up to select Metcalf late in the second round (64th overall), making him the ninth receiver taken in April’s NFL draft — after many had pegged him as a potential top-20 pick.

Wilson was one of the first to call his new receiver soon after the selection.

“The first recognition that I realized that DK may be special was as soon as he got drafted, we got on the phone and started talking for about 20 minutes about where he wanted to go and how we could get there together,” Wilson recalled. “That was the first little inclination that the hype of the draft, the height of it all, maybe even disappointment for a guy like him not going in the first round. He was so focused from day one.”

Metcalf remembered being a little surprised his new QB was calling him so quickly.

“I could tell he was really excited that the organization drafted me,” he said. “It just spoke a lot about his character and how excited he was about getting me.”

Now the Seahawks are excited about the addition of another new receiver — Josh Gordon.

Metcalf said Gordon, along with Julio Jones and Odell Beckham Jr., was one of the receivers he’s studied closely over the years.

“He’s not really talkative, so just seeing him work and how he’s come in from day one trying to learn the offense and how he runs routes,” Metcalf said.

“You’re never too old to keep learning,” he added. “I’m just trying to pick everybody’s brain. There’s always new things to be learned. Josh is the first receiver I’ve been on the team with that’s like a similar build as me, who has played in the league for a long time so he knows what he’s doing out there … (and how) he approaches the game. I see him taking notes so I’m trying to compete with him taking notes and see who knows the most in the offense and all that stuff so just always something to learn.”

Dov Kleiman @NFL_DovKleiman

No idea how DK Metcalf lasted until the 2nd round for the #Seahawks

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1191151467119497216?s=21

DK Metcalf caught 6-of-10 targets for 70 yards in the Seahawks' Week 10 win over the 49ers.

Coming off his best game of the season last week against the Bucs, Metcalf led the Seahawks in receiving in this one but also lost a fumble inside his own five-yard line as he was fighting for extra yards. Metcalf has drawn at least nine targets in three of the last four games and has settled in as a consistent WR3/4 as the Seahawks head into their bye before a Week 12 date with the Eagles.

Nov 12, 2019, 12:46 AM ET

Lockett is probably out for a while, possibly the season. Can DK handle the top spot? 

Wilson went to DK on the sideline for a jump ball 3x last night in key situations, each incomplete. I'm guessing that worked well in practice. DK's got the size. I'd bet on him being one of the next big WR stars, hopefully without the vanity.

Where do you get routes run stats from? Only thing I can think of is PFF Elite, which is 34.95 a month. Not worth it. 
Yeah, I just meant by the eye test the only current stud WR I can think of who runs as limited a route tree as DK and is elite, is Evans. But I could be wrong about that for sure and I don't mean it in a disparaging way--he's killing on the routes he does run. 

Yeah, I just meant by the eye test the only current stud WR I can think of who runs as limited a route tree as DK and is elite, is Evans. But I could be wrong about that for sure and I don't mean it in a disparaging way--he's killing on the routes he does run. 
Oh, okay. I thought you were talking numerically, i.e., the number of routes run per offensive snap. That's a stat that's even more relevant for TEs, but I digress. 

I see what you're saying. 

D.K. Metcalf caught 6-of-7 targets for 75 yards in the Seahawks' 37-30, Week 13 win over the Vikings Monday night.

Hat tip to Rotoworld NBA stud Mike Gallagher for the headline idea. Metcalf again led the Seahawks in receiving, which has become the norm over the last several weeks. But Metcalf nearly fumbled the game away by losing a fumble inside Minnesota's 30-yard line with the score 34-24 and 9:31 remaining on the clock. This is where ESPN's Joe Tessitore bungled the rookie's name, fittingly calling him "Decaf Metcalf" in the city Starbucks was founded. Anyway, Metcalf has led the Seahawks in receiving three straight weeks and gets a Week 14 date with the Rams. He went 2-44-1 against them in Week 5.

D.K. Metcalf caught six passes for 78 yards in Week 14 against the Rams.

Metcalf was the lone bright spot for the Seahawks, catching all six of his team-leading targets. He was the only receiver getting open for Russell Wilson, who averaged just 6.8 YPA. Metcalf has at least 70 yards or a touchdown in four of his last five games. He'll be in the WR2 discussion for a matchup with the Panthers in Week 15.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:52 PM ET

DK "Decaf" Metcalf pulled in two of four targets for 36 yards and a touchdown Sunday in Seattle’s Week 15 win over Carolina.

Metcalf skied over Donte Jackson for a 19-yard touchdown in the first quarter but was otherwise a non-factor. He was the intended target on Josh Gordon's third-quarter interception (yes, that Josh Gordon). Russell Wilson rediscovered Tyler Lockett (8-120-1) on Sunday, which obviously came at Metcalf's expense. It's still been a phenomenal debut season for Metcalf, who ranks second to his former Ole Miss teammate A.J. Brown in receiving yards among rookies (819). Metcalf should put on a clinic when the Cardinals (allowing league-worst 294.2 passing yards per game) visit in Week 16.

DK "Decaf" Metcalf failed to catch his only target in the Seahawks' Week 16 loss to the Cardinals.

Metcalf saw shadow coverage from Patrick Peterson and was basically ignored for the entire afternoon. The matchup was certainly far from ideal against one of very few CBs that can counter Metcalf’s combination of elite size and speed, but the rookie did manage to give similar bigger-bodied corners James Bradberry (2-36-1) and Jalen Ramsey (6-78-0) some problems back in Week 14 and 15, respectively. Metcalf could see more volume in Week 17 against the 49ers with both Chris Carson (hip) and C.J. Prosise (arm) sidelined for the remainder of the season.

DK Metcalf caught 7-of-9 targets for 160 yards and one touchdown in Seattle's Wild Card win over the Eagles.

His 160 receiving yards were the most by a rookie in a playoff game in league history. Philadelphia's secondary had no answer for the burly 6'3/228 speedster, getting burnt for a 53-yard extra-effort touchdown that the rookie lunged for, then allowing him to run wide open up the seam for the game-clinching 36-yard grab as he threw up the deuces to the The Linc while all promptly filed out. Metcalf also hauled in 26- and 24-yard gains to move the chains on important third-down situations mid-game. Expect Russell Wilson to go right back to leaning on Metcalf in Seattle's Divisional Round matchup in Green Bay.

Jan 5, 2020, 7:49 PM ET

I love Metcalf and have him everywhere but I can see where people were put off. It’s hard to have faith in a WR when we are in the post season and the man is literally still running his 3 cone drill at the combine

This is why you don't just look at numbers in college. What kind of effort is he going to put in once he gets to the NFL. Is he going to be a student of the game or just coast along? Going to learn from Jerry Sullivan, working out with Wilson at 5:30 in the morning, etc. That's what sold me on taking him. The 3 cone fooled a bunch of out of their league NFL GMs & coaches.

This is why you don't just look at numbers in college. What kind of effort is he going to put in once he gets to the NFL. Is he going to be a student of the game or just coast along? Going to learn from Jerry Sullivan, working out with Wilson at 5:30 in the morning, etc. That's what sold me on taking him. The 3 cone fooled a bunch of out of their league NFL GMs & coaches.
To add to this, do your research when the term “injury prone” rears its head. His injuries in college were all freak injuries that were unrelated. Yes they cost him a lot of time and there are players who play so hard that they sustain unnecessary injuries but they are not as common as, say, an Arian Foster type who is prone to soft tissue injuries. Bumping him down because he was recovering from a neck injury, fair. But anyone who hit him as “injury prone” did not do the research

Users who are viewing this thread