What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (3 Viewers)

how many of these highlights are against CBs who are NFL starting caliber? 
The link above appears to be against Shyheim Carter. I don't know how high he ranks (he'll return next year) but I'd bet he gets drafted and probably starts at some point.

Ilov80s said:
I don’t understand at all how Jacobs and Metcalf have become de facto 1.1 and 1.2 for most people. This class is wide open.

Ilov80s said:
Nkeal is my #1 by a wide margin for me. I am hoping he at least comes in 4.57 or less. That’s about what Hopkins, Michael Tomas and Crabtree ran. I am worried though that he ends up in a similar situation to Corey Davis though where he’s plagued by bad QB play and a slow run heavy offense.
Wait a second... these two statements don't mesh!

16 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I don’t understand at all how Jacobs and Metcalf have become de facto 1.1 and 1.2 for most people. This class is wide open.

14 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Nkeal is my #1 by a wide margin for me. I am hoping he at least comes in 4.57 or less. That’s about what Hopkins, Michael Tomas and Crabtree ran. I am worried though that he ends up in a similar situation to Corey Davis though where he’s plagued by bad QB play and a slow run heavy offense.

Sure it does, key words are "for me" vs a general statement "This class is wide open".  One can have a #1 opinion even though they think someone else could be taken #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his points do mesh. he says the class is wide open and Metcalf or Jacobs shouldnt be the defacto #1. Then he goes on to give his own personal ranking, which is someone other than Metcalf or Jacobs

ETA: I love Harry, but I worry that he is slow, and the point was made in his thread that his best catches are contested catches

I think the "by a wide margin" threw me off. Sorry, haven't slept much.
Maybe I am exaggerating a bit by wide margin as well. He certainly could fall if he runs really slow or ends up in a bad spot. He's not transcendent like a Saquon or Calvin Johnson. 

After doing more research, I prefer Harry over Metcalf. Harry is my favorite 
why is this? I'm back and forth. College production is the biggest one for me, but Harry's speed worries me. Hope he runs well this week. 

In one league I have the top 3 picks so I can grab both, but in another I have 1.1 and some lower 1sts

Maybe I am exaggerating a bit by wide margin as well. He certainly could fall if he runs really slow or ends up in a bad spot. He's not transcendent like a Saquon or Calvin Johnson. 
He's a popular 1.01 pick over at /r/dynastyFF so it's certainly not unreasonable. I just agree that it's wide open and therefore I don't have anyone at the top by a wide margin. I also don't have any 1.01 picks, so I'm not too worried about it.

why is this? I'm back and forth. College production is the biggest one for me, but Harry's speed worries me. Hope he runs well this week. 

In one league I have the top 3 picks so I can grab both, but in another I have 1.1 and some lower 1sts
Because Metcalf only really ran one route and that terrifies me at 1.01

Harry made plays and was awesome in the open field. He might not be super fast but can get open. He reminds of Nuk in that way.

I like him over Metcalf now too. Let’s hope Metcalf goes to buffalo and Harry to Indy. Oh sorry forget this is the Metcalf thread. 😁

The link above appears to be against Shyheim Carter. I don't know how high he ranks (he'll return next year) but I'd bet he gets drafted and probably starts at some point.
The GIFs I shared demonstrate solid technique that will transfer to the NFL.  Bama DBs are some of the best coached in college.

Here is another GIF up against a different DB from Arkansas.  This GIF is one post  down from the same thread as above which shows a head/shoulder fake along with adjusting to an under thrown pass.

-------------------------

LINK to GIF

Austin Gayle‏ @PFF_AustinGayle 22h22 hours ago

DK (@dkmetcalf14) could sell homes with this head and shoulder fake, let alone this poor ARK cornerback. The pass is terribly underthrown, but he makes a nice adjustment. DK's 2017 tape is special, man. It's well worth the watch in addition to his 2018 tape.

------------------------

Both GIFs are from Austin Gayle of PFF so he looks at a lot of tape and knows what to look for.

The GIFs I shared demonstrate solid technique that will transfer to the NFL.  Bama DBs are some of the best coached in college.

Here is another GIF up against a different DB from Arkansas.  This GIF is one post  down from the same thread as above which shows a head/shoulder fake along with adjusting to an under thrown pass.

-------------------------

LINK to GIF

Austin Gayle‏ @PFF_AustinGayle 22h22 hours ago

DK (@dkmetcalf14) could sell homes with this head and shoulder fake, let alone this poor ARK cornerback. The pass is terribly underthrown, but he makes a nice adjustment. DK's 2017 tape is special, man. It's well worth the watch in addition to his 2018 tape.

------------------------

Both GIFs are from Austin Gayle of PFF so he looks at a lot of tape and knows what to look for.
That is reassuring 

GIF LINK >>>>>    GIF LINK  DK Metcalf violent with his hands

Austin Gayle‏ @PFF_AustinGayle

oh my god #OleMiss' DK Metcalf is so violent with his hands both at the LOS and at the top/break point of his routes... DK insults this Bama corner's mother at the LOS, here. Oh, and he takes this to the house. He's faster than people think.

7:43 AM - 24 Feb 2019
As noted, this is a 'technique' that is learned.

HOF WR Calvin Johnson recently was coaching up prospect WR Hakeem Butler where he was trying to teach him how to use his hands to gain separation.

Watch: Calvin Johnson coaching up WR prospect Hakeem Butler

...Johnson recorded a segment of NFL Total Access where he worked out and coached up intriguing draft prospect Hakeem Butler. The Lions legend offered some seasoned advice to Butler on how to get off the line and use his hands to free himself from tight press coverage.

Because Metcalf only really ran one route and that terrifies me at 1.01

Harry made plays and was awesome in the open field. He might not be super fast but can get open. He reminds of Nuk in that way.
Yes this is what I see too. if you look at Bracies link above, they are all Go/Fly routes. 

Maybe Harry is another Anquan Boldin? Wasn't his 40 time like 4.7 but man he was great at contested catches! Of course Harry is what 3 inches taller? So maybe not a perfect comp

For those who are comparing Metcalf to Treadwell, consider this: treadwell ran a 4.63 at his pro day. If Metcalf runs a 4.4 (or less) I think we can throw that comparison out the window.

It might make sense for an OC to have a possession WR like AJ Brown do the dirty work and ask Metcalf to do go routes all the time, taking advantage of both their best qualities.
Are you worried Metcalf can’t run all the routes or not worried at all?

For those who are comparing Metcalf to Treadwell, consider this: treadwell ran a 4.63 at his pro day. If Metcalf runs a 4.4 (or less) I think we can throw that comparison out the window.
What about the Patterson Treadwell combination?  Patterson has plenty of speed.  Metcalf could be very good and he isn't on my do not draft list, but I'm just glad I dont have to decide with the first couple of picks.

What about the Patterson Treadwell combination?  Patterson has plenty of speed.  Metcalf could be very good and he isn't on my do not draft list, but I'm just glad I dont have to decide with the first couple of picks.
I guess that could be an awesome player or a complete disaster. Haha.

Who do you prefer again at WR and why? I am on 1.01 so this is important for me to get right. I’m not sure who I’m taking and I think landing spot will factor in huge.

Maybe Harry is another Anquan Boldin? Wasn't his 40 time like 4.7 but man he was great at contested catches! Of course Harry is what 3 inches taller? So maybe not a perfect comp
Maybe but I would be very worried if he ran a 4.7. Boldin is such an outlier. He was really slow and his college career was not all that impressive. 

If he tests how people expect him to test, the best comp will be somewhere between Calvin and Evan Engram. 

Treadwell+Patterson sounds like a total disaster. Neither seem to have any sense of how to play WR. 

Maybe but I would be very worried if he ran a 4.7. Boldin is such an outlier. He was really slow and his college career was not all that impressive. 

If he tests how people expect him to test, the best comp will be somewhere between Calvin and Evan Engram. 

Treadwell+Patterson sounds like a total disaster. Neither seem to have any sense of how to play WR. 
Like your thoughts on both

Who do you prefer again at WR and why? I am on 1.01 so this is important for me to get right. I’m not sure who I’m taking and I think landing spot will factor in huge.
I'll post the same thing as I did in the 2019 draft picks thread.

I like Brown's size and he knows how to get open.   Brown excels as a runner after the catch. He shows quickness, power, elusiveness and run instincts.   He has long arms and big hands and a very large receiving radius.  I would be tempted to go N'Keal Harry at 1.1, but I like Brown slightly more right now, but wouldn't argue with anyone that wants to take Harry instead.  However, I do believe Harry has more red flags than Brown.

Johnny U and BIg Tex made the “Patterson-Treadwell love child” comment on the prev page but I feel like have read that before too.
It's a weird comparison outside of their college uniform.  Metcalf is a plus athlete with minimal college production.  Treadwell was a minus athlete with great college production.  They are really polar opposites as prospects. 

It might make sense for an OC to have a possession WR like AJ Brown do the dirty work and ask Metcalf to do go routes all the time, taking advantage of both their best qualities.
Yes but would you be happy with a fantasy wr2/3 with your 1.1 or 1.2 pick? isnt this essentially what Brandin Cooks does? I'd want more than a Brandin Cooks with a pick this high

I see Calvin Johnson potential in Metcalf on paper. On film I'm not so sure. Comparing him to Harry, because that is what this debate seems to be (Harry vs Metcalf as WR1), Harry I dont see that potential. He isnt as athletic as Metcalf, he cant create himself open like Metcalf can, but he has much better college production than Metcalf. 

If we are going to throw out lazy Treadwell comparisons, Harry seems to fit better than Matcalf. I think it's a dumb comparison all together. 

I do think Metcalfs ceiling is higher than Harry but I think the risk is higher too. 

I'm like you, I need to get this right 

Totally awful comparisons. In their best day neither could ever even dream of making this catch.

https://youtu.be/PCoi5mhwCzY?t=53

The correct comparison is Andre Johnson.
 I watched that clip a few weeks ago and thought it was nuts that a guy with just 67 catches has that many impressive highlight catches plus I've seen a few other highlight worthy grabs he has made that did not make that clip. 

It's a weird comparison outside of their college uniform.  Metcalf is a plus athlete with minimal college production.  Treadwell was a minus athlete with great college production.  They are really polar opposites as prospects. 
Patterson is a good athlete thus the love child statement.  Not just Treadwell.  However, I did say some time ago when his buff picture came out that he could end up as good as Calvin Johnson.

Yes but would you be happy with a fantasy wr2/3 with your 1.1 or 1.2 pick? isnt this essentially what Brandin Cooks does? I'd want more than a Brandin Cooks with a pick this high
Cooks is/has been a borderline WR1.  He has finishes of WR10, WR15 and WR13 in the past three seasons in PPR.  I'd be ####### thrilled if I got that kind of consistency and production with the 1.01 in what is considered to be a complete trashfire* of a draft class

*By trashfire, I mean that there is zero clarity at this time.  There's no sure-fire #1 overall, and the combine/draft will likely just muddy things further.

FreeBaGeL said:
Disagree on the production; Metcalf's half-season in 2018 was much better production than anything that Treadwell did. 13.9 YPT vs. 8.4 YPT for Treadwell. Metcalf was a deep threat which Treadwell (and Patterson) never was, and Metcalf 2018 also managed to have a higher catch rate than Treadwell 2015.

The main concern with Metcalf's production is small sample size, with him not breaking out until 2018 and then missing half the games. Maybe you could compare him to DeVante Parker.

I have the 1.1 in one of my leagues and I'm going with Jacobs unless Metcalf or Butler go to a team with a quality QB. I need WR help in this league.

For now. 

I have the 1.1 in one of my leagues and I'm going with Jacobs unless Metcalf or Butler go to a team with a quality QB. I need WR help in this league.

For now. 
Assuming Jacobs lands in a starting role, this is my plan too.

Dr. Dan said:
You can't get a diamond from a copper mine. I'd be happy to get Brandin Cooks if that's the best to be had. I mean, wasn't Seastrunk a 1.01 a few years ago?

And Cooks is definitely not Metcalf's limit. At this point, it's pretty hard to tell how well he can do underneath work. And he's a red zone threat where Cooks is not.

Dr. Dan said:
I see Calvin Johnson potential in Metcalf on paper. On film I'm not so sure. Comparing him to Harry, because that is what this debate seems to be (Harry vs Metcalf as WR1), Harry I dont see that potential. He isnt as athletic as Metcalf, he cant create himself open like Metcalf can, but he has much better college production than Metcalf. 

If we are going to throw out lazy Treadwell comparisons, Harry seems to fit better than Matcalf. I think it's a dumb comparison all together. 

I do think Metcalfs ceiling is higher than Harry but I think the risk is higher too. 

I'm like you, I need to get this right 
Deep routes: Metcalf > Harry

Contested catches: Metcalf = Harry

Short/Intermediate routes: Metcalf would have a hard time trying to not get open as much as Harry does't. "it ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble..."

I'm not really seeing the less risk for Harry.

Ilov80s said:
If I recall correctly, Boldin had knee surgery like a month or so before the combine that year. He likely runs much better if he was healthy. He ran 4.55 at his pro day I think.

I'm not seeing Treadwell comparisons at all. Andre Johnson is likely too optimistic, but closer to the type of player Metcalf could be. Maybe Alshon Jeffery/Josh Gordon level?

I think Metcalf is clearly better than Harry. I really don't see Harry at all, I think he's my #7 WR or so. I'm not sure I'd take him in the 1st round of a rookie draft unless he went to a perfect situation.

That said, I feel like this a great year to trade top rookie picks for veteran players. 

If I recall correctly, Boldin had knee surgery like a month or so before the combine that year. He likely runs much better if he was healthy. He ran 4.55 at his pro day I think.

I'm not seeing Treadwell comparisons at all. Andre Johnson is likely too optimistic, but closer to the type of player Metcalf could be. Maybe Alshon Jeffery/Josh Gordon level?

I think Metcalf is clearly better than Harry. I really don't see Harry at all, I think he's my #7 WR or so. I'm not sure I'd take him in the 1st round of a rookie draft unless he went to a perfect situation.

That said, I feel like this a great year to trade top rookie picks for veteran players. 
Interesting. What don't you like about Harry?

Users who are viewing this thread