What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Admit it - Browns got it 100% right in the draft with Mayfield/Chubb (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
The eye test says that Mayfield is far beyond Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, etc.  It's not even close.  While Barkley woulda been great, the drop off to QB woulda been huge.  Arians isn't the only one salivating over that job.  Future is bright.

If only there was a Mayfield thread

Certainly too soon to make this claim, but he is looking the part so far. 

Cleveland is definitely a job destination now with the last 2 drafts they've had. Only took them 20 years

100% right in terms of Mayfield being the best QB and Chubb being better than all the RBs drafted behind him? Sure.

100% right in terms of Mayfield being a franchise quarterback who was worth the #1 overall pick? Not so fast.

If only there was a Mayfield thread

Certainly too soon to make this claim, but he is looking the part so far. 

Cleveland is definitely a job destination now with the last 2 drafts they've had. Only took them 20 years
Page one Browns threads are thing this month, bruh. Most of them started by JB.

Browns deserve a ton of credit for how they have worked the draft the last few years. They are a legit NFL team that can beat anyone on a given Sunday. Its been a LOOONG time since their fans could say that. 

What he did on that 3rd & 1 play action pass was an old school 10 year vet move. Hid the ball on his hip and the D had no idea he still had it as he waited for the receiver to get to the 1st down marker. If you didn't see it, you need to. It was the same drive that Njoku scored on.

:lmao:  watch #57 get faked out at  2:16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdn9NcxkH44

And lineman #90 on D as well. He's sure showing that OL. Oh wait, it's not a run play.

Last edited by a moderator:
What he did on that 3rd & 1 play action pass was an old school 10 year vet move. Hid the ball on his hip and the D had no idea he still had it as he waited for the receiver to get to the 1st down marker. If you didn't see it, you need to. It was the same drive that Njoku scored on.

:lmao:  watch #57 get faked out at  2:16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdn9NcxkH44
Well, Browns had every incentive to beat the crap out of their former HC's team but still, that was savvy move by Mayfield (he's only rookie).  Every fan in Cleveland should be fairly rejoiced with QB of the future.  Now it's matter of finding the right coaching staff to tie in and bring the best of their young players. 

Yep.  If we did the 2018 draft over again, Mayfield would clearly be the consensus first overall pick.  That's not a knock on the other guys, just that Mayfield has been phenomenal.    

Peppers stinks
Oh OK.

Haven’t watched film on him, just know he’s rated “Above Average” by PFF. I thought they made a mistake playing him at Free Safety last year & he was doing better this year at Strong Safety?

:shrug:

He seems pretty high profile for a guy who stinks. Surprised more haven’t noticed what you have. Seems like people should be writing more about how awful he is, right?

Reminds me a bit of 2001 when the Chargers drafted LT at number 5 overall and then took Brees at the beginning of the 2nd round. Brees obviously didn't stay that long in San Diego but those two guys were very instrumental in rescuing the franchise and bringing some real success in the following years.

if you actually WATCH mayfield under williams/kitchens... he's playing like a 4th year QB. 

it's obscene. i hoped and prayed and took a ton of heat for saying this kid was far and away the best qb in this class... and he's repaying the faith.

he has balls. you cant teach that. he takes the field like the best QB in the league, but most important;y, he sits in the classroom and takes the practice field like he has everything to learn (by all accounts)

my man.

They look great, but way too early to start carving HOF busts.

I seem to recall Jared Goff being labeled (another kind of) a bust after his rookie season. Guys progress/regress all the time.

Let's just enjoy it without the parade planning.

if you actually WATCH mayfield under williams/kitchens... he's playing like a 4th year QB. 

it's obscene. i hoped and prayed and took a ton of heat for saying this kid was far and away the best qb in this class... and he's repaying the faith.

he has balls. you cant teach that. he takes the field like the best QB in the league, but most important;y, he sits in the classroom and takes the practice field like he has everything to learn (by all accounts)

my man.
He’s playing well but let’s slow down just a bit

Under Williams he has faced the #26, #31 and #32 pass defenses in the NFL

I was saying the same thing and don’t recall taking tons of heat for it.  Maybe you’re a lightning rod?

Too soon to say 100% of course.  If I were a Browns fan I'd be feeling good about the picks though.
^^^ This is what I'm going with. Have been recent QBs who eat that sophomore slump (Dak). Let him get another year, coaches get more film on him, then let's see if he can still run through some defenses. They've been impressive so far though.

Switch him and Allen and who has more wins on the Bills?
Allen has a terrible supporting cast, with arguably no offensive lineman or receiver who should be starting in the NFL.  I'm extremely pleased with what I've seen from Allen so far given the weapons at his disposal.  And it's obviously way too early to predict overall career success at this point.  But there's no denying that Mayfield is off the better start, and it's not terribly close.

Oh OK.

Haven’t watched film on him, just know he’s rated “Above Average” by PFF. I thought they made a mistake playing him at Free Safety last year & he was doing better this year at Strong Safety?

:shrug:

He seems pretty high profile for a guy who stinks. Surprised more haven’t noticed what you have. Seems like people should be writing more about how awful he is, right?
Your perception is correct. 

Too soon to say 100% of course.  If I were a Browns fan I'd be feeling good about the picks though.
I'll give Baker credit for now. Heck I even traded for him in a super flex. Both players look really good. Meanwhile Barkley looks like a future HOFer. I suspect he and Rosen or Allen would be doing really well together. 

As well as Myles Garrett & Jabrill Peppers a year ago, and Denzel Ward this year
Garrett is a stud.  But they passed on Mahomes, trubisky and Watson. They look pretty good too. 

Really you have to give John Dorsey credit. And while I'll never be a Browns fan, the league is better when they don't suck. 

At this point, it sure looks like the Browns killed the draft.   Cleveland fans should be thrilled as this team has serious potential.  

I'll give Baker credit for now. Heck I even traded for him in a super flex. Both players look really good. Meanwhile Barkley looks like a future HOFer. I suspect he and Rosen or Allen would be doing really well together. 

Garrett is a stud.  But they passed on Mahomes, trubisky and Watson. They look pretty good too. 

Really you have to give John Dorsey credit. And while I'll never be a Browns fan, the league is better when they don't suck. 
How could we possibly know?

The eye test says that Mayfield is far beyond Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, etc.  It's not even close.  While Barkley woulda been great, the drop off to QB woulda been huge.  Arians isn't the only one salivating over that job.  Future is bright.
I like it.  I would trade Stafford for Mayfield in a second.  Plus Chubb is already a star.

Urban Meyer will be the next HC as he is still bitter about being suspended.

Agree they drafted well but not convinced they’re actually done sucking unless they hire Arians.  Guys basically asking them to hire him and he’s a perfect fit.

I don’t know how it’s not a no brained in their situation unless front office drama is still their limiting factor as an organization.  

Agree they drafted well but not convinced they’re actually done sucking unless they hire Arians.  Guys basically asking them to hire him and he’s a perfect fit.

I don’t know how it’s not a no brained in their situation unless front office drama is still their limiting factor as an organization. 
Well RIP Njoku's fantasy career if this is the case.

They can do better than arians

I like Baker and Chubb and it is cool to see Browns drafting working out but can we agree that nothing that happens against the Bengals right now really means anything?

They can do better than arians
Maybe.  Kitchens is an Arians guy already and if developing Mayfield is the top concern in a coaching search like they’ve said it would make sense though.

Since we know they can get Arians it’ll make it pretty obvious that ownership values control over winning if they bring in somebody who’s unproven.

He’s playing well but let’s slow down just a bit

Under Williams he has faced the #26, #31 and #32 pass defenses in the NFL
Point well taken and I thought the same.  The Bengals can't cover anybody and I'm salivating to have Rivers go against them in round 1 of the playoffs.  And he played TB, etc.  Still, even against tougher defenses he's shown poise.  Has never had that deer in the headlights look that so many young QBs do.  His receivers let him down with drop after drop.  He still can make bad decisions, but if you have on OC with a little imagination he will be worth that #1 overall pick.  He looks like he could be Brees like with development to me.  Just a great feel for the position.

Why? You think Chubb is better than Barkley?
You see that much of a difference where it matters? Meanwhile Mayfield looks like Drew Brees. Taking Mayfield at #1 was 100% the right decision. Barkley is special, there is no denying that but we should know at this point that RB’s replacement value is much lower than basically any other skill position. You don’t build around a RB. In fact, Browns would have been even better off to trade down further and take Guice or Kerryon. Even considering an RB at the top half of the 1st does not register with me anymore. Only one pick made less sense than Barkley in the top half of the first and that was Vita Vea.

While I wasn't sure if Mayfield was the best QB from this draft class I did think he was the right QB for the Browns.

He was the only QB with the nuts to want to take on the challenge of tuning around the Browns. Not only did he say the right thing, I believed him when he said it. He believes in himself.

This is what the Browns needed. Leadership.

I am really happy about how it has turned out so far. Browns fans have suffered a long time, I couldn't be happier about them having legitimate reasons to turn the page.

Cleveland fans already worship Dorsey and it’s way jumping the gun. He got the first round right with Mayfield and Ward. Chubb was a good pick, but if he would have taken any other back in the 2nd round (sans Ronald Jones) he would have a similar talent. Austin Corbitt was a terrible pick, especially with Harold Landry on the board. Genard Avery makes up for that a tiny bit but then Dorsey doubles down by cutting Carl Nassib prior to the season (now with 5.5 sacks on the year) in favor of Chad friggin Thomas who is about as fast as a rock. Jury is out. With Mayfield in place though it can mask a lot of ills.

Also forgot the Jarvis Landry trade and contract which is looking awful right now. The Tyrod Taylor trade is also already trash and a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread