What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Admit it - Browns got it 100% right in the draft with Mayfield/Chubb (1 Viewer)

Best Browns draft since 1978 when we got HOF TE Ozzie Newsome and LB Clay Mathews in the first.

Best QB drafted in modern era for Browns including Bernie and Sipe IMHO.

Interesting to look at how draft could have been improved with 20/20 hindsight.

• Dorsey's top pick/QB was Baker
  • NYG top pick was RB Saquon Barkley
  • NYJ wanted to trade up for QB Sam Darnold 
  • IND wanted to trade down 
  • BUF top QB was Josh Allen 
  • Den preferred Bradley Chubb over Denzel Ward
Could Dorsey take advantage of that knowledge to maximize his top-two picks?  Possibly.

• Browns 'could' have traded down with NYJ and the Jets would have taken QB Sam Darnold #1
  • NYG would take RB Saquon Barkley #2
  • IND would have traded down with Buffalo/Buffalo would have traded up and taken QB Josh Allen #3
  • Browns would have taken QB Baker Mayfield #4
  • Denver would have taken DE/OLB Bradley Chubb #5
  • Browns would have taken CB Denzel Ward #6
That is about the only way Dorsey could have played it any better and we really don't know if the G-Men or the Jets or Buffalo would have taken Baker or if Elway would have taken CB Denzel Ward over Brad Chubb but it seems like it is at least possible that Dorsey could have moved down with the Jets and gotten both of his guys and three extra 2nd round picks but he played it safe and no one can blame him.

Great draft, best for Cleveland since 1978 IMHO.

Many people voiced the Browns were idiots for not taking Barkley and that Mayfield was a reach.  Not having to convince people that it was an excellent draft, but I'd say convincing was needed in that it was the optimum draft
I will never reconcile where those people came from.  And it will happen again.  It does not matter what Saquon Barkley did between May 1, 2018 and whenever his career ends - if you don't have a franchise QB and one is available then you do not pick a running back, no matter how great, instead.  

Chubb looks like he's gonna be great.....but RBs don't change a franchise in a way that a D-lineman, left tackle, or even a shutdown corner can do.

It's sort of the fantasy equivalent of taking a QB in the first round. Just not smart VBD.

Joe Summer said:
Chubb looks like he's gonna be great.....but RBs don't change a franchise in a way that a D-lineman, left tackle, or even a shutdown corner can do.

It's sort of the fantasy equivalent of taking a QB in the first round. Just not smart VBD.
Saquon Barkley very well might squash that narrative.

With the benefit of 6 months of hindsight, If the Giants had a do-over, who would they take instead?

davearm said:

Saquon Barkley very well might squash that narrative.

Maybe. But how many highly-drafted RBs have led their team to a significant playoff run? The last one I can think of was Marshall Faulk, but he had a wee bit of help.

You get a franchise left tackle or QB and you're set for 15 years. You get a franchise RB and you'll be lucky if you can squeeze 7 years out of him -- so you better start building around him ASAP. Minnesota wasted the best years of AP's career by surrounding him with mediocre QBs; now the Giants are set to to the same thing with both Barkley and ODB. Not only does Eli suck, but there's no feasible option on the horizon. And even if you did manage to find this year's Alex Smith/Brett Favre/Brad Johnson in the free agent market, it's not like the rest of the team is so good that you could pencil them in for a playoff spot.

Anyway, the Mayfield/Chubb combo looks great, and Cleveland's offense looks OK. But their defense needs a lot of help. If they can shore up a few positions in 2019 then they'll be a force in the AFC North for the next few years.

Maybe. But how many highly-drafted RBs have led their team to a significant playoff run? The last one I can think of was Marshall Faulk, but he had a wee bit of help.

You get a franchise left tackle or QB and you're set for 15 years. You get a franchise RB and you'll be lucky if you can squeeze 7 years out of him -- so you better start building around him ASAP. Minnesota wasted the best years of AP's career by surrounding him with mediocre QBs; now the Giants are set to to the same thing with both Barkley and ODB. Not only does Eli suck, but there's no feasible option on the horizon. And even if you did manage to find this year's Alex Smith/Brett Favre/Brad Johnson in the free agent market, it's not like the rest of the team is so good that you could pencil them in for a playoff spot.

Anyway, the Mayfield/Chubb combo looks great, and Cleveland's offense looks OK. But their defense needs a lot of help. If they can shore up a few positions in 2019 then they'll be a force in the AFC North for the next few years.
Leonard Fournette just last year.

Gurley Gordon Zeke and McCaffrey this year, potentially.  

Marshawn Lynch was an early pick, though not by Seattle.

DWill and JStew were both first round picks, and Carolina has made several postseasons, including a SB.

Mark Ingram if you squint hard enough, though obviously Brees is guy doing the leading.

Peterson led the Vikes to multiple postseasons.

Browns deserve a ton of credit for how they have worked the draft the last few years. They are a legit NFL team that can beat anyone on a given Sunday. Its been a LOOONG time since their fans could say that. 
True enough, really good to see this team turn a corner and be competitive -- their fanbase has endured a lot to get to this point and deserve it. I will say the can compete with any team, but if they were at the point where they can reliably beat any team on any given Sunday, I think their record would be better than 4-6-1. But that's splitting hairs.

Their picks couldn't have sucked forever, right?
This is a good point, as the Browns have had copious time and first round draft picks for years. Before we break an arm patting them on the backs, is finally getting some picks pay off something we should laud the team for, or is this more blind squirrel finally finding two nuts. 

chubb is a generational talent.
Stop the presses. Even with the ####ck, this is a little much. He is everything you want to see in your R1 drafted back, for sure. But I don't think we can even call him elite (among the likes of Bell, Kamara, Elliott, etc.) yet, let alone generational. 

Not saying he can't pan out to be elite, but in my book you need to show you can do it consistently against elite Ds, as opposed to the JV team the Raiders field, or the wholly porous TB, ATL, KC, and CIN Ds this year.

Joe Summer said:

Chubb wasn’t drafted early so I don’t get this. Also I’d say Elliot is adding quite a few wins for the cowboys, this whole thing is overblown.

Barkley should have been #1 and they could have picked up Mayfield with their next pick.
The Giants may never find the franchise QB that allows the team to reach the upper echelon of teams like the Rams have with Gurley. If they miss on their next QB, Barkley will spend at least a 3rd of his career and the best years, with no QB. Maybe half his career wasted as they hang onto the bust they drafted. If the Rams didn't hit on Goff, they would be wasting Gurley's career. You find the franchise QB first because you will have him for 15 years, then you will be able to find the RB.

Barkley should have been #1 and they could have picked up Mayfield with their next pick.
They were able to find an excellent RB in the 2nd round after getting their franchise QB and shut down CB in the first.

Franchise QB is thee top position to get every time over a RB but for the sake of speculation lets say the Browns did that then the Giants could have taken Baker or the Jets could have before they made their 2nd pick and if they took a RB they could not have gotten a shut down CB in the 2nd with the skill of Denzel Ward.

The Browns had one of their best drafts ever, they got the franchise QB, the shut down CB, and they got a stud RB in the second round and didn't blow a top-four pick on a fungible position like running back.  

lod001 said:
The Giants may never find the franchise QB that allows the team to reach the upper echelon of teams like the Rams have with Gurley. If they miss on their next QB, Barkley will spend at least a 3rd of his career and the best years, with no QB. Maybe half his career wasted as they hang onto the bust they drafted. If the Rams didn't hit on Goff, they would be wasting Gurley's career. You find the franchise QB first because you will have him for 15 years, then you will be able to find the RB.
You mean like the Rams did?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
This is a good point, as the Browns have had copious time and first round draft picks for years. Before we break an arm patting them on the backs, is finally getting some picks pay off something we should laud the team for, or is this more blind squirrel finally finding two nuts.
Blind squirrel my ###!  There are 16 players left from last year's roster.  Credit John Dorsey!

This post on 2012: Washington got it 100% right with RG3 and Morris

This post in 2014: The Raiders got it 100% right with Carr and Mack

This post in 2016: The Rams got it 100% wrong with Goff and Gurley

All of which is to say, I don't disagree with the OP's premise, and it looks like the Browns hit on all three of their first round picks. But in the immortal words of Mr. Winston Wolf, let's not start ###Ing each other's ####s just yet.

Blind squirrel my ###!  There are 16 players left from last year's roster.  Credit John Dorsey!
Sure, happy to give credit where credit is due, Browns have definitely turned a corner.

But to be fair, how many years have they had copious draft picks because of being at the bottom of the pile? And how esteemed has their general process and success been in getting talent from draft picks?

From my estimation, whether we're talking historically or just in the trailing few years, it ain't great.

So let's not break arms patting them on the back just yet. There's a lot of history to overcome there.

You mean like the Rams did?
You got one. I got tons. Plus the QBs sucked that year. Mariota was the best there was and everyone knew Goff and Wentz were better.

Raiders - Darren McFadden, could have traded up for Matt Ryan.

Vikings  - Adrian Peterson could have had Aaron Rodgers

Bills - Marshawn Lynch, could have had Aaron Rodgers - OUCH!!!!!!

Rams - Steven Jackson - career totally wasted - could have traded up to get Eli, Ben or Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, happy to give credit where credit is due, Browns have definitely turned a corner.

But to be fair, how many years have they had copious draft picks because of being at the bottom of the pile? And how esteemed has their general process and success been in getting talent from draft picks?

From my estimation, whether we're talking historically or just in the trailing few years, it ain't great.

So let's not break arms patting them on the back just yet. There's a lot of history to overcome there.
Uhhhh..  No.  The people who ran this draft have NO connection to anybody who wasn't there anymore.  We aren't talking about the aggregate draft record over the last 20 years.  The topic is THIS draft.

You got one. I got tons. Plus the QBs sucked that year. Mariota was the best there was and everyone knew Goff and Wentz were better.

Raiders - Darren McFadden, could have traded up for Matt Ryan.

Vikings  - Adrian Peterson could have had Aaron Rodgers

Bills - Marshawn Lynch, could have had Aaron Rodgers - OUCH!!!!!!

Rams - Steven Jackson - career totally wasted - could have traded up to get Eli, Ben or Rivers.
Entire league - xxxxx, could have had Brady 

I normally don't give a #### about the Browns, but I'm happy their fans finally have reason for optimism. Their QB history is shockingly bad. Mayfield looks like the real deal

2nd half was fine. Laid a bomb right in the hands of callaway who scored. Called back for a hold. Went back to callaway on a dee pass and callaway fumbled at the 5. They score there and it's a whole different game.

Can’t wait for John Dorsey to have his pick of the litter for HC’s and get Mike trashcan McCarthy. May as well hire Jeff Fisher.

Peppers stinks

Oh OK.

Haven’t watched film on him, just know he’s rated “Above Average” by PFF. I thought they made a mistake playing him at Free Safety last year & he was doing better this year at Strong Safety?

:shrug:

He seems pretty high profile for a guy who stinks. Surprised more haven’t noticed what you have. Seems like people should be writing more about how awful he is, right?
Narrator: Subsequently, Peppers proved he did not in fact stink.

I feel good about the picks but I am sure Washington did about RG3 as well after his first year (until his torn ACL in the playoffs).

Also the Jets were pretty happy going to the AFC Championship game with the butt fumble for a few years too.

The eye test says that Mayfield is far beyond Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, etc.  It's not even close.  While Barkley woulda been great, the drop off to QB woulda been huge.  Arians isn't the only one salivating over that job.  Future is bright.
They passed on Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson in 2017 for Garrett though.  Passing on Mahomes looks like a huge mistake at this point.

Dorsey is a mixed bag. I don’t know how to feel on him yet. I think he got the Baker pick 100% right and while I liked the Ward pick at the time it’s hard to deny what Bradley Chubb has done. He could have handled the 2nd round a lot differently and set a core that set the league on fire had he grabbed Landry or Sutton over Corbitt. His FA signings were also mixed. His secondary signings have been terrific but so has Jason McCourty who he sent out of town on a rail. Jarvis, Tyrod and Hyde were wasted cap space and high draft capital for players they should already be moving on from. Cutting Nassib was a big mistake and that’s simple self scouting. I think the previous post saying this is going to drag on for awhile is correct.

Chubb isn't Elite? But he leads the NFL in rushing since week 6 (why is that? Did something happen around then?)

There is very little that differentiates Chubb from Kerryon or Guice and it may not even be a stretch to say there isn’t that much of a drop off from Chubb to Josh Adams.

Stop the presses. Even with the ####ck, this is a little much. He is everything you want to see in your R1 drafted back, for sure. But I don't think we can even call him elite (among the likes of Bell, Kamara, Elliott, etc.) yet, let alone generational. 

Who said that? Are you listening to the voices in your head again?
The last page alone.

how often do you think I visit this thread?

I knew the Browns got it 100% right on draft day
How often do you visit this thread? What does Nick Chubb have to do at all with recent posts? What is your justification that Chubb is better than Harold Landry or Courtland Sutton for both Baker’s long term growth and at positions far more valuable than RB?

Unless Andy Reid comes with him I don't think Mahomes is Mahomes anywhere else.
Ried/Mahomes < Baker/Kitchens 

But

Baker/Kitchens/Denzel Ward > Ried/Mahomes

The Browns picked up the Texans 1st round pick this year used to draft CB Denzel Ward.

Had the Browns taken Mahomes does anyone truly believe he'd have similar success under Hue Jackson that he's had under Andy Reid?  

But lets say the Browns took Mahomes and he was able to overcome poor coaching by Hue Jackson and won a handful of games last year?  The Browns wouldn't have had the 1st pick of this year's draft AND they wouldn't have the 4th pick and 'might' still have Hue Jackson.

Terrible situation so they are in a FAR BETTER place going forward with Baker AND Denzel Ward.

Users who are viewing this thread