Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

I love how some people STILL can't let it go :D

A.J. Brown caught 4-of-9 targets for 101 yards and one score in Tennessee's Week 9 win over the Bears.

Brown's first highlight-reel reception, a play-action crosser that he grabbed and bounced upfield off Eddie Jackson for a pile of yards after the catch, helped the Titans grab the game's first lead. He later helped cement that lead with a 40-yard slot fade that Ryan Tannehill dropped in a bucket along the sideline. Brown's volume was a concern coming into the year, but he's consistently shaken those doubts off with seven targets and/or a receiving score in every game this season. Brown is a weekly matchup-proof WR1 for the rest of the year.

- Rotoworld

Sched starts getting easier too. Like I said in this week's game thread even in an inefficient game he's still able to get his on a big play.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 3
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is criminally under utilized IMO. 

I don't know why everyone always gets hung up on WR1, WR2, etc.  If A.J. is on your team, he is in your lineup.  Call him whatever you like.

I am not of the belief you bench your true studs for a Jacobi Meyers type fill in due to match up alone. I’ll live with the off chance that Meyers outscored AJB while on my bench but wouldn’t be able

A.J. Brown caught 1-of-4 targets for 21 yards in the Titans' Week 10 loss to the Colts.

Brown's lone catch came on the opening drive when the Titans capped it off with a five-yard D'Onta Foreman touchdown grab. That was the best drive of the Titans' night. Brown's four targets were a season low, and he snapped a five-game touchdown streak. Brown will be an upside WR1/2 next week in a date with the Ravens.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

80 yard TD drop will sting for awhile. Still a beast.

That drop was brutal. This may very well be his worst game as a pro. He dropped another catchable pass, but every stud WR has a bad game or two. He's still a thundering beast. 

3 minutes ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

I was in the car when he had the drop.  Anyone have a clip so I can add to my misery? :suds:

he was tussling with Rhodes and that definitely factored into him dropping the pass--that said, it absolutely should of been caught

• Like 1

-It's always a bitter pill on a Thrusday Night game because you have to sit there and look at the scoreboard from the damage he leaves all weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun it just ruins your outlook for the weekend or Sunday. 

-He dropped a ball on a bomb but I would argue a lot of WRs don't even get themselves in a position to make an 80 yd TD, that's the difference and it was early in the game. 

-I fault the Coaches and here is why. I have a 2nd year stud in the making, he drops a Bomb that would have ripped the game open for Tennessee early in the 1st half, I probably dial up a couple bubble screen type plays, short yardage where Brown can break tackles and turn a 4-5 yd gain into 10-20 and they didn't do that with Brown and I think that was a big mistake. He's a lot more than just a long ball threat. 

You all can talk about learning lessons and how it's partly his fault, BUL####!!! he got left behind by the coaches and I am not going to fault him for the drop in the 2nd half where the ball was behind him and he had his face mask grabbed. They do anything they can to cheat on him when they cover him, and I mean all teams not just the Colts who do have a solid defense. 

If you can buy low on 1 Week then GO FOR IT but he was riding 6 TDs in 5 Games, I can name 100 WRs that won't do that in the NFL this year so stop your crying and sack up. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

-It's always a bitter pill on a Thrusday Night game because you have to sit there and look at the scoreboard from the damage he leaves all weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun it just ruins your outlook for the weekend or Sunday. 

-He dropped a ball on a bomb but I would argue a lot of WRs don't even get themselves in a position to make an 80 yd TD, that's the difference and it was early in the game. 

-I fault the Coaches and here is why. I have a 2nd year stud in the making, he drops a Bomb that would have ripped the game open for Tennessee early in the 1st half, I probably dial up a couple bubble screen type plays, short yardage where Brown can break tackles and turn a 4-5 yd gain into 10-20 and they didn't do that with Brown and I think that was a big mistake. He's a lot more than just a long ball threat. 

You all can talk about learning lessons and how it's partly his fault, BUL####!!! he got left behind by the coaches and I am not going to fault him for the drop in the 2nd half where the ball was behind him and he had his face mask grabbed. They do anything they can to cheat on him when they cover him, and I mean all teams not just the Colts who do have a solid defense. 

If you can buy low on 1 Week then GO FOR IT but he was riding 6 TDs in 5 Games, I can name 100 WRs that won't do that in the NFL this year so stop your crying and sack up. 

MOP, this is excellent analysis! I was mystified as to why they didn't give him a bubble screen or a short slant. He's as dangerous as any WR with the ball in his hands and is a load to bring down. Anyone that trades this kid in redraft/dynasty needs their head examined. He's a legitimate WR1, and despite two drops, has great hands. I look forward to the rematch in two weeks. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, FGITLOTR said:

MOP, this is excellent analysis! I was mystified as to why they didn't give him a bubble screen or a short slant. He's as dangerous as any WR with the ball in his hands and is a load to bring down. Anyone that trades this kid in redraft/dynasty needs their head examined. He's a legitimate WR1, and despite two drops, has great hands. I look forward to the rematch in two weeks. 

And what I was trying to say was the coaches should have given him a couple short gimme catches just to get him rolling, it's not so much his confidence but getting Brown in rhythm. The one catch he made on the first drive he looked so fast and breaking tackles adding YAC, then poof he just disappeared. 

Fans who watched pointed out when Brown was open and Tannehill didn't look his way, just bizarre. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

Sheesh talk about overreactions.

He was averaging 8 targets per game prior to last night which is a pace of 130 for the season which borders on top 10 for the year most seasons.  Sure he is good enough to get 160 but "criminally underutilized" is pushing it.  It's exactly what we were all hoping for at the start of the year.

He got 4 targets in a game where the whole team played poorly and had their worst passing game of the season and where AJB himself played poorly.  Big deal.  It happens.  DeAndre Hopkins had 3 targets last week.

Feed him short passes to "get him in rhythm"?  C'mon.  He's not a child.  You game plan your game plan by calling plays you feel will help you score points, not get your players warmed up.

I own this dude almost everywhere but I kind of hope he has another bad game next week so I can get him in the few places I don't own him.  Was able to grab Metcalf after his 2-23 game a few weeks ago in one league.  Had he followed it up with another poor one I probably would have been able to buy him everywhere too.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
2 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Agreed completely.  And it echos what I’ve been saying for weeks, you MUST force feed your studs.  No different then how they do it with Henry. How that coaching staff and/or Tannehill can go away from him for large portions of the game is mind boggling.   

... but that's ALWAYS been the story of A.J. Brown since he came into the NFL. This offense doesn't force feed anyone because it's a ball control O with a dominant runner and good across the board talent. This outcome was always a possibility for A.J. if Tannehill or Brown have an inefficient game; that's what happened Thursday. If you owned A.J. in 2019 I dunno why you're so shocked.

Edited by The Frankman
1 hour ago, Stinkin Ref said:

Tanny just wasn't even looking his way and seemed to me that he had his mind made up where he was going before receiving the snap on every play......and it wasn't to Brown

This seems like a mistake as an outsider looking in but maybe there is a reason for it.

I was listening to Kirk Cousins talk about a play where he went to Irv Smith for a TD. Kyle Rudolph was wide open on the play too, but Smith was his first read and Smith was open enough for Cousins to throw the ball to him.

Later on he is emphasizing the same thing again. The coaches install a game plan. Each play has a read progression that can change based on the defense. He executes the game plan as the coaches want him to do it (besides the interceptions) and the read progressions are what they are based on the play call.

I just mention all of that to say RT is likely just following the read progression for the plays called here, and for a combination of reasons, it seems that Brown was not the first read on a lot of these plays. I didn't watch the game closely enough to know, but perhaps the Colts game plan on defense dictated this somewhat and I did note the commentator talking about the Colts 3rd corner not being that bad, that is who Corey Davis was making some plays on.

If RT checks the defense pre snap and he sees extra attention being on Brown only natural that his first read becomes the guy who is facing the weakest link of the defense.

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

This seems like a mistake as an outsider looking in but maybe there is a reason for it.

I was listening to Kirk Cousins talk about a play where he went to Irv Smith for a TD. Kyle Rudolph was wide open on the play too, but Smith was his first read and Smith was open enough for Cousins to throw the ball to him.

Later on he is emphasizing the same thing again. The coaches install a game plan. Each play has a read progression that can change based on the defense. He executes the game plan as the coaches want him to do it (besides the interceptions) and the read progressions are what they are based on the play call.

I just mention all of that to say RT is likely just following the read progression for the plays called here, and for a combination of reasons, it seems that Brown was not the first read on a lot of these plays. I didn't watch the game closely enough to know, but perhaps the Colts game plan on defense dictated this somewhat and I did note the commentator talking about the Colts 3rd corner not being that bad, that is who Corey Davis was making some plays on.

If RT checks the defense pre snap and he sees extra attention being on Brown only natural that his first read becomes the guy who is facing the weakest link of the defense.

I own Brown in a ton of leagues and so I was watching the pre snap coverage a ton....Brown had a TON of 1-1 matchups as IND brought their safeties up (Henry)....in fact one huge play sticks out in my mind....Brown realizes he has no safety help.....immediately beats his man off the line....sticks his hand up in the air with the Randy Moss universal "I got him over the top" sign.....but RT literally dropped back and was dialed in on Finkster or some crap short of the chains and incomplete....I think RT had it in his head that they were not going to let Brown be open....but it wasn't the case....RT seems like he is programmed to try and "move the chains" so they can hurry up and hand it off to Henry on the next series.....almost to the point that I think we should be lucky to get what we have out of Brown so far as far as targets and FF points....TD's have buttered the bread a little....I'm not sure if Rhodes or whoever was following him around, but RT had no interest really.....its also frustrating to see so many formations where there is maybe only one WR on the field and it is NOT Brown....

Edited by Stinkin Ref
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, The Frankman said:

... but that's ALWAYS been the story of A.J. Brown since he came into the NFL. This offense doesn't force feed anyone because it's a ball control O with a dominant runner and good across the board talent. This outcome was always a possibility for A.J. if Tannehill or Brown have an inefficient game; that's what happened Thursday. If you owned A.J. in 2019 I dunno why you're so shocked.

Certainly not shocked.  Just disappointed the coaching staff hasn’t adjusted to the obvious.  

6 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I own Brown in a ton of leagues and so I was watching the pre snap coverage a ton....Brown had a TON of 1-1 matchups as IND brought their safeties up....in fact one huge play sticks out in my mind....Brown realizes he has no safety help.....immediately beats his man off the line....sticks his hand up in the air with the Randy Moss universal "I got him over the top" sign.....but RT literally dropped back and was dialed in on Finkster or some crap short of the chains and incomplete....I think RT had it in his head that they were not going to let Brown be open....but it wasn't the case....RT seems like he is programmed to try and "move the chains" so they can hurry up and hand it off to Henry on the next series.....almost to the point that I think we should be lucky to get what we have out of Brown so far as far as targets and FF points....TD's have buttered the bread a little....I'm not sure if Rhodes or whoever was following him around, but RT had no interest really.....its also frustrating to see so many formations where there is maybe only one WR on the field and it is NOT Brown....

Yeah I remember Bri trying to make the point that Corey Davis is a good blocker and is the WR they have on the field when they go with 3 TE, which is something they do a fair amount.

Calling Fisker Finkster seems appropriate lol

You are likely right that RT should have identified the single coverage opportunities and change the play if need be if its there. That is what good QBs whos coaches don't get in their way do anyways.

8 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I own Brown in a ton of leagues and so I was watching the pre snap coverage a ton....Brown had a TON of 1-1 matchups as IND brought their safeties up....in fact one huge play sticks out in my mind....Brown realizes he has no safety help.....immediately beats his man off the line....sticks his hand up in the air with the Randy Moss universal "I got him over the top" sign.....but RT literally dropped back and was dialed in on Finkster or some crap short of the chains and incomplete....I think RT had it in his head that they were not going to let Brown be open....but it wasn't the case....RT seems like he is programmed to try and "move the chains" so they can hurry up and hand it off to Henry on the next series.....almost to the point that I think we should be lucky to get what we have out of Brown so far as far as targets and FF points....TD's have buttered the bread a little....I'm not sure if Rhodes or whoever was following him around, but RT had no interest really.....its also frustrating to see so many formations where there is maybe only one WR on the field and it is NOT Brown....

Spot on.  And again that falls to the coaching staff.  How is your clearly best WR not the first read or even worse not the side of the field where read progression would take him next.  Inexcusable with a talent like him on the field.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Yes, I don’t know why anyone is surprised. Brown has always been a boom or bust play. If you’re looking for consistency you won’t find it, for the most part. His trade value far out paces his actual value in your fantasy lineup. Most WR1s put up at least a decent game as their floor. Browns floor is literally <5 points. 

• Laughing 2
25 minutes ago, You Know Who I Am said:

Yes, I don’t know why anyone is surprised. Brown has always been a boom or bust play. If you’re looking for consistency you won’t find it, for the most part. His trade value far out paces his actual value in your fantasy lineup. Most WR1s put up at least a decent game as their floor. Browns floor is literally <5 points. 

21, 22, 31,12, 24, 3 are his point totals in his last 6 healthy games in my PPR league as a second year pro. On his 3 point game he uncharacteristically dropped what should been an 80 yard touchdown. I fail to understand your point.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, You Know Who I Am said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't own him.  This is just wrong.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

21, 22, 31,12, 24, 3 are his point totals in his last 6 healthy games in my PPR league as a second year pro. On his 3 point game he uncharacteristically dropped what should been an 80 yard touchdown. I fail to understand your point.

6 minutes ago, SproutDaddy said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't own him.  This is just wrong.

... you guys got caught. He nearly got me in the Jonathan Taylor thread; when the account is new check post history .

Edited by The Frankman
14 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Spot on.  And again that falls to the coaching staff.  How is your clearly best WR not the first read or even worse not the side of the field where read progression would take him next.  Inexcusable with a talent like him on the field.   

Their OC is one of the best. I'm so impressed for a little over a year now. Their line stunk, awful, at Tannehill in two seconds. Any other year and he'd have been sacked 8-10 times. Reich and the Colts were on it. Their CBs were playing inside of Brown and Davis and if they're in get open quick mode, that's real hard to do when the CB is there. Tannehill had to snap and get rid of it quick. That leaves very little available.

Firkser is easily the best third TE in football. Does that mean anything? No, but DFS people loved his 8 catches for 113 yards game a few weeks ago and while he's way too small to be an inline blocker, geesh he's made a ton of big catches in his bench role. Ya know how getting open against a zone is about using your head moreso than athleticism? Well Harvard boy went two years where he had a perfect catch rate against a zone. 

Batson is smooth n fast. He's a backup slot guy that maybe gets a catch a week. (This is what Kendall Wright would have been on a good team) You're not covering him but you also aren't that worried about him because it's 4-5 yards. 

No one thinks Firkser or Batson is a world beater or stud or whatever, but they're extremely effective for a play here N there. Firkser missed two or three this past game and the guy has been nails so he's allowed a bad game.

IDK how you can blame coaching/offensive play calling in that game. They rotated the backs (which is new) to pound them at a DL dominating their OL. He continually called different plays and shifts to get someone open. It's not on him that there are more than ten drops either.

I've said for two years how Brown has to figure out how to beat top corners to become elite and y'all keep putting him in the elite category and then whining he's not being elite. He's not there yet, he's close. The Colts CB might not be elite but he played darn good and figuring out how to get open in two seconds (many times) is pretty tough on an outside WR. You're asking too much of the kid. His day is coming, no one seems to dispute that, but ya gotta be patient. I'll tell ya right now- I'll be shocked if he does anything next game against the Ravens.

Davis has flashed a few times this year with some new "I'm a tough guy too" tactic as a WR and whoa has he been impressive in those moments. The rest of the time he's been the same ol same ol. Jonnu has been playing blocking TE and having to hit the DE before a route. Humphries has been out with a concussion from a dirty hit. Brown doesn't have a cape yet, stop expecting him to be superman. 

The Titans are playing poorly now and have two tough opponents coming up then it gets easier. They had a bad draft and have been battling key injuries too. A ten day break is exactly what they need. It'll get better. I have watched my share of bad Titans teams, this is not one of them. I think most people rank the Titans in the very good category and think they can beat anyone any given Sunday. They just gotta get healthy and get out of this funk.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I could argue he was grabbed and pulled on, easily could have been called DPI or Def Holding from all the hand checking. I'm glad they let them play but this isn't a guy with 5 yds separation or something in the total clear. I see that and if I'm the OC I dial that play up again and again.  They couldn't cover him, big deal he dropped a ball. QB throws an interception and nobody says bench him but a receiver drops a ball or a RB fumbles and they are locked in a high tower somewhere never to be heard from again. 

• Like 1

Titans WR A.J. Brown was not seen at Thursday's practice. 

This has become the norm for Brown this season. He should be back at practice Friday in preparation for the team's Week 11 game against Baltimore. He'll be a locked-in WR2. 

SOURCE: John Glennon on Twitter 

Nov 19, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

Anyone benching @ Bal?  I'm opting for Claypool.  I think.  And I love me some AJB.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/11/the-primer-week-11-edition-2020-fantasy-football/2/#ten-bal

A.J. Brown: After catching a 21-yard pass on the second play of the game, Brown didn’t have another catch for the remainder of the contest against the Colts. It’s a game of inches, they say. He dropped what would’ve been a 72-yard touchdown in the first quarter of that game, which would have completely changed his day. It was his first game with fewer than seven targets, so we can’t overreact, but his matchup in Week 11 isn’t going to be easy one to get back on track. The Ravens have allowed a wide receiver touchdown once every 43.8 targets, which ranks as the best in the league. The Titans must find a way to get the ball into Brown’s hands, because once that happens, he’s electric, averaging 6.8 yards after the catch. That’s how he overcame a tough matchup against the Bears, so maybe he can do it again. With Jimmy Smith dinged up, the Ravens turned to Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters on the perimeter, while moving to veteran Tramon Williams in the slot. That worked out pretty well, as the Patriots receivers accounted for just five catches and 59 yards. This is far from a great matchup and Brown proved that in the playoffs last year, catching just 1-of-3 targets for nine yards against them. He’s too talented to bench, but temper expectations into WR2 territory against a team who’s allowed just two wide receivers to finish with more than 81 yards this year.

On 11/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, Buck Bradcanon said:

Anyone benching @ Bal?  I'm opting for Claypool.  I think.  And I love me some AJB.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/11/the-primer-week-11-edition-2020-fantasy-football/2/#ten-bal

Same.  I think I have to go with McLaurin and Claypool, and bench AJB.  Probably wouldn't make (and haven't made) that call if it wasn't BAL.

Edited by davearm

I am not of the belief you bench your true studs for a Jacobi Meyers type fill in due to match up alone. I’ll live with the off chance that Meyers outscored AJB while on my bench but wouldn’t be able to live with my decision when my stud AJB blows up on my bench for Meyers “huge” 3-35 performance. I can’t justify it

so i almost always avoid it.

Edited by BigAl21
  • Like 7
1 minute ago, Ministry of Pain said:

And I'll make it harder, over the last 3 weeks they are almost identical in points per game avg...around 12

Jefferson clearly has the better matchup, but it's tough to bench AJB even against Baltimore.  

• Like 1