What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thrillist Chooses - Best Craft Brewery In Every State (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I never really like these "best in each state" lists. It's like saying the college football playoffs can only have one team from a conference. 

Oftentimes, things excel close together. In this case, the SEC is Oregon which could have a ton a list of top 50 breweries in the country. But I digress. 

Here's Thrillist's take on the best Craft Brewery from each state. https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

What do you say? 

I will say Burial in NC is my favorite brewery in Asheville which pretty much means it's my favorite in North Carolina. 

i understand why new glarus was picked for wisconsin but the write up is sort of lazy and they ignore tons and tons of great breweries here such as capital and lakefront and tyranena but i get it i do not really like spotted cow because it is really sugary and that is just not my thing but i will allow it take that to the bank brohans 

Indiana they got correct with 3 Floyd's IMHO - I will pull off the highway and drive the 10 minutes each way to the brewery just to pick up Zombie Dust......

Ohio - never heard of Jackie O's  - I will have to check them out but I would be surprised to learn that they are  a better brewery than Madtree, Great Lakes, Brew Kettle or FatHead's - I figured the Ohio winner would have had to have been one of those four.

Michigan - Founder's - no reason to fight against that selection either. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
yeah i think  bigmarc is right about this having a chance to get over the top basically i think the best lists are sort of like the offdy scale and useless because everyone has a different thing that gets them going so if i came across as a jagalope i am sorry and i will go on a walkabout to try and seek forgiveness take that to the bank bromigos 

I never really like these "best in each state" lists. It's like saying the college football playoffs can only have one team from a conference. 

Oftentimes, things excel close together. In this case, the SEC is Oregon which could have a ton a list of top 50 breweries in the country. But I digress. 

Here's Thrillist's take on the best Craft Brewery from each state. https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

What do you say? 
Ozark is okay imo and I have nothing negative to say about it. I expected Core to make the list for Arkansas though. I really like Core Brewery's Heisenberg (hefeweisen) and the Behemouth Pilsner the best, even though I'm an IPA guy. I also suggest as far as brewpubs, Fossil Cove in Fayetteville but it's in a wonky place that unless you live in a particular area requires driving. I wish they would have set up near Dickson but they didn't.

What do you say? 
Ozark is okay imo and I have nothing negative to say about it. I expected Core to make the list for Arkansas though. I really like Core Brewery's Heisenberg (hefeweisen) and the Behemouth Pilsner the best, even though I'm an IPA guy. I also suggest as far as brewpubs, Fossil Cove in Fayetteville but it's in a wonky place that unless you live in a particular area requires driving. I wish they would have set up near Dickson but they didn't.
i loved jason bateman in ozarks he just killed it take that to the bank brochacharino

Hooker Brewery in CT, for the win. Don't need to look at it. Was my next door neighbor for years. Count it. Love it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like they played it safe in many places by going with the established name and not any shiny new toys. 
After reading the thread, I think that's what happened with Arkansas. I guess this was a great article idea with lazy execution.

Indiana they got correct with 3 Floyd's IMHO - I will pull off the highway and drive the 10 minutes each way to the brewery just to pick up Zombie Dust......

Ohio - never heard of Jackie O's  - I will have to check them out but I would be surprised to learn that they are  a better brewery than Madtree, Great Lakes, Brew Kettle or FatHead's - I figured the Ohio winner would have had to have been one of those four.

Michigan - Founder's - no reason to fight against that selection either. 
:goodposting:

I think Ohio is between Fat Head's and Jackie O's.  I'm not going to dismiss someone else saying this list was lazy because maybe other regions are, but I think they nailed these 3.

i loved jason bateman in ozarks he just killed it take that to the bank brochacharino
:lol:  I refuse to watch that show because I'm afraid of how it going to make my people look.
you should watch it because a it is good and b they do drink beer and maybe it will change your perspective on which is the best in your state and that my friend will be just another notch in the belt for senior bateman take that to the bank bromigo

Seems like they played it safe in many places by going with the established name and not any shiny new toys. 
I always wonder the thought process behind these. It seems like lots of times, it's mostly designed to generate comments. Which means picking the lesser known place. But I think you can also make the case picking the safe place gets the comments. People rail on how "real" __________ know __________ is the place. 

Overall though, I do like lots of what Thrillist.com does. 

you should watch it because a it is good and b they do drink beer and maybe it will change your perspective on which is the best in your state and that my friend will be just another notch in the belt for senior bateman take that to the bank bromigo
I'll give it a shot, swc. Thanks man.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
i understand why new glarus was picked for wisconsin but the write up is sort of lazy and they ignore tons and tons of great breweries here such as capital and lakefront and tyranena but i get it i do not really like spotted cow because it is really sugary and that is just not my thing but i will allow it take that to the bank brohans 
I have a 12 of the Cow in the beer fridge right now. LOVE that stuff. Oh, I'm in Missouri so getting Spotted Cow is a bit of a chore. 

I have a 12 of the Cow in the beer fridge right now. LOVE that stuff. Oh, I'm in Missouri so getting Spotted Cow is a bit of a chore. 
like i said i get it some people totally love it and it is huge here but i like ipas best of all and then miller lite so for me it just does not trip my tallywacker but everyone has their own thing that they like and i like that because accepting other peoples likes is the way of the brohan take that to the bank bromigo

On the counter for picking the safe places, a friend of mine just said this in response to the article:

I could've sworn they'd say Cigar City for Florida. Then when I saw the map with the thumb tack near Tampa, I knew it was a lock...

...the I scrolled down to see Angry Chair?? I've never heard of it (while I enjoy craft beer, I don't pretend to know a ton about it). I'll be looking for it actively now.
So maybe it's a mix. 

Bearded Iris in TN seemed like the obvious choice to me. But Blackberry Farm is a world-class place for food and hospitality so can't argue too much I guess.

I had some Revision from Sparks Nevada when I was in Boise ID this summer and loved it. No argument from me there on NV.

They did decent with pFriem in OR.  I thought it might be Block 15 or Breakside, but pFriem is in my top 5.  

one of my big fears is that bells will get bought by a macrobrew and it will get ruined i just really like two hearted take that to the bank brodrunkos 

Very few would consider Ozark the best in Arkansas. In the central part of the state, Lost 40, Flyway, and even Stone's Throw are better overall breweries. And like you, I prefer Core to Ozark.

Seems like a pretty good list to me :shrug:

ETA: Brew Gentlemen in PA, Kane in NJ, Burley Oak in MD, Veil in RVA, Tree House in Mass are all among some of the best there is. 

Jackie O's is quite good, but it's not the best in Ohio IMO.  For me, that's MadTree.  I guess I should just be thankful they didn't choose Rhinegeist.

On the counter for picking the safe places, a friend of mine just said this in response to the article:

So maybe it's a mix. 
Definitely a mix.  Safe places around me probably would have been something like Hardywood for Virginia, and Flying Dog for Maryland (nothing listed for Washington, D.C.).  Veil is a new one in VA, and I had never heard of Burley Oak for Maryland.

West of Ocean City... they have a dedicated sour house, and make some great NE-style IPAs.  Fantastic place all around. 
Not much for sours, but a fan of NE-style IPAs.  I haven’t been over to that part of Maryland.  I’ll have to check it out whenever I get over there.

Not a Rhinegeist fan? I thought they were loved locally?
They are.  And that's why I wouldn't have been surprised to see them chosen.

But they aren't close to the best in Ohio, or even Top 5 in the city of Cincinnati.  Truth IPA is a good beer, but beyond that, every beer they do MadTree does 10x better.

For me, Rhinegeist is a marketing company that sells craft beer.  They are phenomenal at what they do.

They are.  And that's why I wouldn't have been surprised to see them chosen.

But they aren't close to the best in Ohio, or even Top 5 in the city of Cincinnati.  Truth IPA is a good beer, but beyond that, every beer they do MadTree does 10x better.

For me, Rhinegeist is a marketing company that sells craft beer.  They are phenomenal at what they do.
Interesting. Thanks. 

Jimmy Carter started the move to legalization of home-brewing , BTW. Not to get political -- and Jimmy Carter is not my cup of tea -- but he did do that.  

This is like choosing which of your children you love best.   I lean towards Bells but it is very, very close.

In PA the Brew Gentlemen is a good choice  but very low production.
Good point. And also it's dependent on how widespread the reach of some of these. I'm sure there are ton's of beers on this list that I am just not able to get due to distribution issues (I'm looking at you New Glarus and hundreds of others I'm sure).

Two Hearted is my all time favorite and I like the Oberon also. I haven't had as much Founder's although I to see it around. I have a fridge full of assorted right now that I have to get through before trying many others.

So subjective.  Asheville has several nice breweries.  From Green Man to Highland to many more.  I like them all.  

Sweetwater is the best brewery I've visited in Ga.  

S. Carolina I like the one mentioned in Charleston but I like Thomas Creek better up in Greenville.  

IMO, New Glarus would be a fantastic brewery even if Spotted Cow didn't exist (I agree that it's too sweet).  Spectacular lagers (Totally Naked, Two Women, Staghorn), a really good IIPA (Scream), and the sour/fruit beers are justifiably well-regarded.  

Lots of great beer made in Wisconsin.  I just wanted to threw NG some non-Cow-related love.

• Smile
one of my big fears is that bells will get bought by a macrobrew and it will get ruined i just really like two hearted take that to the bank brodrunkos 
Love two-hearted.  It's my go-to for steady day drinking - especially on the golf course after a flask of whisky.  Right there with DFH 90 minute, Surly Furious, and Pliny the Elder as near perfect IPAs for me. 

Love two-hearted.  It's my go-to for steady day drinking - especially on the golf course after a flask of whisky.  Right there with DFH 90 minute, Surly Furious, and Pliny the Elder as near perfect IPAs for me. 
At 200+ calories per 12 ounces, this might help explain the need to get back into wagering with otis. 

#speakingfromexperience

• Smile
I agree.  I can see why they went NG and I like their beer but to me Central Waters is the best.  I'm also a fan of the Brewing Projekt as well. 

brohan i already knew your liver was more powerful than mine i could not drink a 7 percenter all day that right there is miller lite time for me expecially in the sun take that to the bank bromigo 

Users who are viewing this thread