What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears DST vs Rams Week 14: What's your plan? (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
Thought this may be an interesting discussion. Best defense vs the best offense, first week of the playoffs.

Looked at some other options, but I'm starting to think I may just ride it out. Yes, they will definitely be scoring points, but playing at home I figure Chicago can still pile up enough sacks and turnovers to make them a good start.

I realize that defense is very different from other positions, but no one is worried about matchups when starting Mahomes, Gurley, or AB. I'm not sure I could stomach losing because I had the #1 defense sitting on the bench.

Anyway, like I said I thought it'd be a good discussion. So much to consider.

I am planning on riding with the Bears but that final decision will have to wait and see what my matchup holds come that week and what other defenses are available. 

I have Cleveland as my backup defense (I almost never carry to defenses but I like the browns future on D). 

Hope to have a bye week anyway but would probably start the browns vs Panthers.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely gonna roll with whatever WW defense is appealing. 

Rams are on a different level this year, most defenses they face end up scoring negative points. It just seems like even if everything falls the Bears way you're looking at a max of about 7-9 points. That works if there is absolutely nothing else on the waiver wire, but in a 1st round playoff matchup I would go for a little more upside.

TartanLion said:
No plan in place yet, but hoping for a bye. Had a look at the waivers today and all I can see is maybe the Chargers with Bosa back playing against the Bengals 
As a Bears owner that is a matchup I would strongly consider benching them for, and it's in LA.

gruecd said:
Get a top-2 seed and get a Week 14 bye in our playoffs... ;)
Why didn't I think of that?  :P

As far as the question, as long as Mack is playing, they will be starting. Otherwise, I might have reservations.

Gally said:
I am planning on riding with the Bears but that final decision will have to wait and see what my matchup holds come that week and what other defenses are available. 
Just a thought, but you may want to plan ahead for when they play the LAR week 14.

Just a thought, but you may want to plan ahead for when they play the LAR week 14.
Not a lot of rotating of defenses so I am not too worried.  I also am not worried about the Bears defense vs the Rams Offense with my scoring system.

The Captain said:
KC’s D scored pretty well against LAR. I’d stick with the bears. 
They forced the Rams to have to keep up offensively. Bears can’t do that. 

Early gametime temperature forecast is ~32° and dropping into the 20s.  Bear weather.  Too early for precip/wind aspect.

Akiem Hicks just showed up on the injury report for an achilles issue (no details), so keep an eye on that.  While Mack is important, Hicks has been nearly as valuable.  Emphasis on stopping Gurley is going to be key.

Broncos D at SF in the late afternoon game might be a suitable alternative depending on how your early game players do.

It really depends on scoring system. I have one league that gives 3 points per turnover, gives only 12 points for a shutout with 250 yards and counts down slowly from there, and you can't go negative in scoring.  I'm never benching a top d in that league. 

I have another league where you start with 24 points for the shutout and can go down to negative 10 for big yardage and big scoring.  That's a huge spread. I'm never starting anyone against the rams in that league 

Right now, I'm stuck.

I picked up the SEA D (to block my opponent this week), but the matchup week 14 vs MN is not promising. Only other options are borderline mediocre:

* NO @TB -- NO D improved but here outside of the dome against Winston who seems to be less turnover prone not great.

* DAL vs PHI -- Could be ok if Wentz and that PHI offense continue to stumble.

* NYJ @BUF -- Don't love trusting the Jets.

* INDY @HOU -- Ugh.

And I'd either have to drop Brate (Gronk insurance) or Trubisky (who has a sweet matchup vs LAR next week in the first round).

Rams have hung to many negative scores on DSTs. Picked up Saints and will likely start them @ TB. I know it doesn't look like the best matchup on paper (especially given what happened in Week 1), but my bet is that the Saints have reached the level where they blow everyone out so badly that the can spend the entire second half going after the QB. And obviously Jameis is capable of a few TOs.

Rams have hung to many negative scores on DSTs. Picked up Saints and will likely start them @ TB. I know it doesn't look like the best matchup on paper (especially given what happened in Week 1), but my bet is that the Saints have reached the level where they blow everyone out so badly that the can spend the entire second half going after the QB. And obviously Jameis is capable of a few TOs.
I'm leaning that way myself. I really don't have another choice.

Between a rock and a hard place though in terms of picking up the NO D. I'd have to drop Brate (who I want to keep because of Gronk) and my opponent this week has a weakness at TE and may pick up Brate and use against me! Rats!! 

For one league, I have Den for next week vs SF, if I don’t get a 1st round bye. Tenn. is available though, and I know they face the Jags at home next week, just for some reason I’m not feeling it with Tenn. Am I wrong in thinking that? Seems like Denver been playing better football lately compared to Tenn. 

Anyway, that’s my plan if I don’t get a bye. Could change, but the Rams are too good on offense.

Got Chicago D in three leagues:  

#1 - locked up a bye so rolling with Chicago the whole way
#2 - picked up Washington two weeks ago for their matchup with NYG
#3 - I need a win this week (and another guy's loss) to make playoffs, but I picked up Tennessee last week for their Jax matchup anyway. 

It really depends on scoring system. I have one league that gives 3 points per turnover, gives only 12 points for a shutout with 250 yards and counts down slowly from there, and you can't go negative in scoring.  I'm never benching a top d in that league. 

I have another league where you start with 24 points for the shutout and can go down to negative 10 for big yardage and big scoring.  That's a huge spread. I'm never starting anyone against the rams in that league 
I think this is a very good point. No negative scores in my leagues.

Yup. In one league I get negative scores for points and yardage. Just too much risk of getting a goose egg, even with a couple sacks and turnovers.

All that said, watch their be a blizzard next weekend and the Bears win 6-3.

Not to get off track on week 14, but how are people feeling about the CHI D in week 15 against GB and Mr. Rodgers? Don't love that matchup either considering Rodgers never throws picks.

Not to get off track on week 14, but how are people feeling about the CHI D in week 15 against GB and Mr. Rodgers? Don't love that matchup either considering Rodgers never throws picks.
Concerned about that as well. They're home in both games which is a plus. Can't decide if it's worth picking one of the middle of the road D's discussed or just roll with Chicago. If someone had a matchup with Oak or Ariz that was available might be worth it but not sure if any of the other matchups are that great or not.

Unlike the Rams game, I’m not worried about that GB game. It’s at Chicago and Mack and company can get to Rodgers, in my opinion. This Packers team has a few good weapons on offense, but it’s not like the Rams, Rodgers has not been playing well lately, and this Packers team is just meh in general. Of course, the game could go the other way...

Bills have two home games in weeks 14 and 15 against Jets and Detroit. Weather could get a little dicey in Buffalo too. Maybe that's the best option to possibly cover both weeks. Not sure i'd play them but maybe that's the team to stash and see how things play out...

Jax  D revival @ Tenn (short week) has me reconsidering Chicago D.

I see the Rams game going one of two ways with nothing in between.

1. Chicago outdoors at home goes off in what they consider a measuring stick game and I can't believe I benched them. :punchesselfindaface:

2. Rams do the Rams thing and I start Chicago get 3pts or worse and.... :punchmyselfindaface:

😒

What about the Saints @ TBB?    TBB is Top 8 in Def Points Allowed (my league scoring)

Also considering Buffalo - Det #2 most Points Allowed to Def & NYJ #9 most allowed. 

I have Cleveland as my backup defense (I almost never carry to defenses but I like the browns future on D). 

Hope to have a bye week anyway but would probably start the browns vs Panthers.
Didn't get the bye :(

So I picked up the Giants defense for the week. Now I'm really not sure whether I'm starting the Giants at Washington (seriously, Sanchez?) Or rolling with the bears. I didn't drop Cleveland but don't think I'd go with them vs Carolina.

Plan is to watch my opponent double dip with Cohen and Bears DST rip off a punt return of 50+ for a TD and double dip/destroy me in the process.

18 points a piece!

Bank of it.  I think this game will be high scoring but both DST's make plays (like Rams/KC)

What about the Saints @ TBB?    TBB is Top 8 in Def Points Allowed (my league scoring)

Also considering Buffalo - Det #2 most Points Allowed to Def & NYJ #9 most allowed. 
I'm starting NO. In retrospect, I should have picked up Tenn when I had the chance, but I'm way higher on the Saints than most of the rankers seem to be. Posted this in the streaming D thread, but in five of their last six games (excluding the Rams game), Saints have averaged almost five sacks and 2.5 turnovers per game. That's a baseline of 10 points before you even get into points/yards allowed, defensive TDs, etc. 

The two things that worry me are that it's in TB and Jameis has steadied himself as of late, with no TOs in his past two games. Still, I think NO is a fairly strong matchup.

All that said, if Buffalo were available I think I'd be sorely tempted. They have a good D and Jets are a hot mess.

I'm starting NO. In retrospect, I should have picked up Tenn when I had the chance, but I'm way higher on the Saints than most of the rankers seem to be. Posted this in the streaming D thread, but in five of their last six games (excluding the Rams game), Saints have averaged almost five sacks and 2.5 turnovers per game. That's a baseline of 10 points before you even get into points/yards allowed, defensive TDs, etc. 

The two things that worry me are that it's in TB and Jameis has steadied himself as of late, with no TOs in his past two games. Still, I think NO is a fairly strong matchup.

All that said, if Buffalo were available I think I'd be sorely tempted. They have a good D and Jets are a hot mess.
Have some of the same thoughts. I have HOU stashed as well, but I don't like the Indy matchup in that game. Picked up TENN, but they are just meh, but probably will bring a modest positive score (yardage and points penalties). Yes, I have three defenses. Doh!

So, if I don't roll with TENN, then my options are NO @TB or NYG @WASH (Sanchito will turn it over for sure). Anybody banking on NYG???

I tend to like home defenses (is this a thing with defenses?), everything being equal, which is why I scooped up TENN last week. And, on cue, netted me a so-so 4 points.

In regards to next week, I'm not too worried about GB with the Bears being at home and GB in turmoil, but I will probably roll with Houston @WASH, depending on how Sanchez performs this week. Week 15 I play the highest scoring team in the league (and the team is stacked), so I need upside in a big way.

A little sideways from the OP, but my plan is to sit Goff for Roethlisberger. Goff looked terrible last week, and Chicago can play themselves some D.  

Have some of the same thoughts. I have HOU stashed as well, but I don't like the Indy matchup in that game. Picked up TENN, but they are just meh, but probably will bring a modest positive score (yardage and points penalties). Yes, I have three defenses. Doh!

So, if I don't roll with TENN, then my options are NO @TB or NYG @WASH (Sanchito will turn it over for sure). Anybody banking on NYG???

I tend to like home defenses (is this a thing with defenses?), everything being equal, which is why I scooped up TENN last week. And, on cue, netted me a so-so 4 points.

In regards to next week, I'm not too worried about GB with the Bears being at home and GB in turmoil, but I will probably roll with Houston @WASH, depending on how Sanchez performs this week. Week 15 I play the highest scoring team in the league (and the team is stacked), so I need upside in a big way.
Well, Waiverhave run .... and as strange as it is, I lost on Wilson & Samuel but picked up BOTH NOS & BUFF Def!  

With Chicago already on my roster, I am now holding 3 Def !  

Projected in our League Scoring this week:

Chicago vs LAR = 1.1 pt

Buffalo vs NYJ = 14.7 pts

New Orleans at TBB = 17.1 pts! 

I will have to monitor the weather (Buff = snow? ) and decide Sunday morning..... 

I’m starting the Broncos in one and enjoying my bye in the other.

I am wondering about week 15 vs the Packers. Would the Rams vs Eagles or Jags vs Redskins be better? For some reason I’m not loving the Broncos against the Browns in 15.

I see the Rams game going one of two ways with nothing in between.

1. Chicago outdoors at home goes off in what they consider a measuring stick game and I can't believe I benched them. :punchesselfindaface:

2. Rams do the Rams thing and I start Chicago get 3pts or worse and.... :punchmyselfindaface:

😒
Exactly my thoughts 

I picked up Pitt and have them starting at the moment

Bears have been good to me this season but sitting them this week--Jags v Tenn and week 15--Jags v butt fumble Sanchez. Can't trust the Bears against Goff and Rodgers when last week they crapped the bed against Eli.

Users who are viewing this thread