What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrel Williams - Arizona (1 Viewer)

Darrel was in at the end, and made the winning play to ice the game.  They clearly trust him.  He looked great today, including on his touches and in pass protection. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked really good for sure. I had no idea he was stuck behind Fournette/Guice at LSU. Looks like he was a 4-star recruit. 6'1 225 with enough zip to hit the holes it seems. 

GL figuring out that situation week-to-week, though. Shady isn't fast but he's still got amazing feet, shifty, and great in the receiving and pass-blocking game which is obviously critical. Then there's Darwin who might be a midget but he's damn impressive. Oh and Damien who they gave a contract to and isn't just gonna disappear. 

Good for KC depth, bad for fantasy I think. 

Better runner than Damien for certain IMO. Likely to go back to fantasy irrelevance if/when Damien's back. If forced into a bigger role with Damien&Shady out, wouldn't at all surprise me if he had a similar impact as Spencer Ware. Really sturdy well rounded RB. I simply don't think Damien belongs as much more than a ST/possible 3rd down back. Own all 3.. 

Really had no interest in Darwin. Played behind Darrel in preseason and less snaps last week. Most important thing is keeping Mahomes healthy.

To the eyes of someone who owns Damien, Darrel, and LeSean... Darrell looks like the best RB on the Chiefs. 

I don’t see why he can’t hold the starting job if Damien and LeSean are injured next week. 

Darrel Williams rushed nine times for 62 yards in the Chiefs' Week 3 win over the Ravens, adding five receptions for 47 additional yards.

Pre-game speculation that Williams might start proved false, but Williams did handle the ball on the Chiefs' opening drive and ended up out-touching LeSean McCoy 14-11 after McCoy tweaked his ankle injury. McCoy did not touch the ball in the fourth quarter. It is possible the Chiefs were simply operating out of an abundance of caution. Either way, Williams has firmly established himself ahead of Darwin Thompson on the depth chart. CBS announcer Ian Eagle said coach Andy Reid told him he "trusts Darrel Williams." Williams will be on the FLEX radar if Damien Williams remains sidelined for Week 4, and an RB2 if McCoy joins Damien on the shelf.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:47 PM ET

Feel like outside of Kelce, all the KC offensive options are like playing wack a mole. Any of them can blow up at any given time.

Guaranteed some random dude we've never heard of is streaking wide open down the middle of the field for a 75 yard TD this week.

ATB said:
To the eyes of someone who owns Damien, Darrel, and LeSean... Darrell looks like the best RB on the Chiefs. 

I don’t see why he can’t hold the starting job if Damien and LeSean are injured next week. 
I agree.  Has the look of a guy who could run with it.   

The thing that excites me is that he just needs to be on the field and he will put up huge numbers in that offense.

Reid's trust is almost all he needs to be a fantasy stud, up until he isn't the one taking the field for the Chiefs.

Finally saw some highlights. He looked good. 

Shady also looked good, unfortunately. 

Not a lot of word about DWill. I’m holding both Thompson & Williams, but I have a deep bench to do it. It’d be a lot harder to hold either in redraft if/when DWill comes back & assuming Shady is playing. 

that backfield is shaky. I agree with the “whack-a-mole” comment above. This could either work out magically or it could be a PITA all year. 

I’d settle for clarity either way. 

The thing that excites me is that he just needs to be on the field and he will put up huge numbers in that offense.
You can say that about any RB on that team. 

Reid's trust is almost all he needs to be a fantasy stud, up until he isn't the one taking the field for the Chiefs.
Almost....he also needs Shady to retire & DWill to have knee surgery.  :shrug:

The problem is that nobody in that backfield is going to top 15 touches/game unless there are injuries. Just not how Reid does it.

The problem is that nobody in that backfield is going to top 15 touches/game unless there are injuries. Just not how Reid does it.
Yeah this is true - between 15 and 20 seemed to be the trend when Williams had a pretty good hold of the lead back role.

The "good" news (for Williams) is that 15 touches in this offense should make him at least a mid-level RB2.  When we're talking backfields there are likely to be injuries - at least slowing down backs if not keeping them out entirely.

There's a long way to go before Williams ascends to where Damien ones - and he probably won't.

Seems clear why Reid kept him around last year even when they seemed set (at the time) with Hunt and Ware.

Reids history with RBs states otherwise
I think we can make some reasonable observations from last year and this year.  Reid obviously has a long history of going with a lead back.

Notably from last year, when Hunt was released, Ware was the undisputed lead back.  Williams was waiting in the wings but was only used as a change of pace back.  When Ware got hurt, Williams assumed the lead back role.  The caveat here is that there wasn't much behind Williams to even consider a timeshare (Darrel as a rookie, Charcandrick signed off the street).

This year, so far it's been a timeshare.  There could be multiple reasons for that - McCoy and Damien both bring something to the table?  Keeping McCoy fresh over the course of 16-19 games?  They weren't really that sold on Damien as a lead back over a large sample size?

We're left with a couple of options:  does Reid want to find a lead back, or does he want a split of carries?  I wouldn't be surprised if Reid is looking for a back that can maybe take on 2/3 of the workload and have a little more consistency in the backfield approach.  Just my opinion.  I don't have much to base it off of besides some coach speak from him about needing to address the running game.

It's only my opinion, but what I've seen from Darrel suggests to me he could supplant Damien in the timeshare with McCoy.  That timeshare still could be really valuable - even for the Chiefs, they aren't always going to be scoring 80 yard TDs.  The rushing TDs are going to come.

I'm targeting Darrel mostly because there seems to be so many non-football reasons why people don't want him.

I know a lot of people say Shady has been the best at actually carrying the rock, but I think those people just remember a few well-blocked plays that gave him huge holes to run through. 

To me, the only running back on the Chiefs roster to actually run between the tackles and fight for yards and be a bruiser of a back... is Darrel Williams. 

On top of that, he proved himself entirely capable in the passing game as well. 

I will honestly be shocked if he doesn't assert himself as the lead back in the next few weeks. Andy Reid is a great evaluator of talent, especially at the HB position. He kept Darrel Williams around all last year when he easily could have moved on from him. 

Now we're seeing why. 

Andy Reid on Darrel Williams in the post-game press conference: 

“Darrel really had a good offseason, as far as getting himself into the shape that he thinks he needs to be in to play at this level,” Reid said. “I think yesterday was a nice cookie that he gave himself for saying, ‘Listen, I busted my tail, I dropped my weight down, increased my body mass muscle-wise and this is the result.’ That helps you keep pushing through all of that. He’s naturally a big guy. I thought he played physical. I thought he did well in the pass game. Some of his blitz pickups… top notch. He did a nice job.”
Sounds like the coach agrees that he earned some snaps going forward. 

Not sure which messy backfield to invest in, Mostert in SF or Darell Williams in KC.

No one snagged Darrel of waivers, so I think I’ll drop Mostert to see what happens this week with Darell (and if Shady and Williams heal so they can play, though I expect they will.

With a bye, not sure others will invest in Mostert, but I would likely lose the chance to regain Mostert unless no one picks him up in week 4 waivers. 

We’ll see if this pays off. Not sure it will.

You guys might be forgetting last year when we thought similar things about Damien.  He was behind Ware after Hunt got cut. .. Then Ware went down and people started drafting Damien in the 4th round of dynasty startups. 

Make sure you pick up Darrel in case history repeats itself here. 

I hate this situation, but can't get out from under it.  I own Shady & Darwin, but just dropped Darwin for Darrel (redraft).  I almost feel like trading Shady to my week 12 opponent for a bag of peanuts, and holding Darrel as a lotto ticket.

Not sure which messy backfield to invest in, Mostert in SF or Darell Williams in KC.

No one snagged Darrel of waivers, so I think I’ll drop Mostert to see what happens this week with Darell (and if Shady and Williams heal so they can play, though I expect they will.

With a bye, not sure others will invest in Mostert, but I would likely lose the chance to regain Mostert unless no one picks him up in week 4 waivers. 

We’ll see if this pays off. Not sure it will.
I had the same scenario Darrel wasn't claimed so I dropped Mostert for him, mostly because I do need him for this week. I'm guessing that at least one of the two (McCoy and other Williams) will get the week off to heal.

I had the same scenario Darrel wasn't claimed so I dropped Mostert for him, mostly because I do need him for this week. I'm guessing that at least one of the two (McCoy and other Williams) will get the week off to heal.
:hifive:

Let's see how this pans out for us. 

I can't say this wasn't a mistake, but impossible to really predict long term use for either of these guys given the backfields they are in. 

At the very least, one is on the upswing (Williams, given he may be involved at least one more week if Shady/DWill can't go) and one is on the downswing (Mostert, with Coleman returning and Mostert's carries should by all likelihood go down).

Well, I'm now on board with both the KC Williams twins.

Dropped Cam Newton in my super-flex for him.

Damien will be dnp (limited at best)

McCoy will be limited
Would love a link. Tuesday's is usually a players' day off, but injured players do report to the training room. I don't see any news, but it's often hard to find authoritative sources for daily practice news, especially on a players' day off.

Regardless, definitely a situation to monitor as the matchup against the Lions this weekend looks solid for whoever is going to be in that backfield for the Chiefs.

Would love a link. Tuesday's is usually a players' day off, but injured players do report to the training room. I don't see any news, but it's often hard to find authoritative sources for daily practice news, especially on a players' day off.

Regardless, definitely a situation to monitor as the matchup against the Lions this weekend looks solid for whoever is going to be in that backfield for the Chiefs.
Damien Williams (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Williams' week isn't off on the right foot. It could again be LeSean McCoy and Darrel Williams carrying the backfield load against the Lions, with Darwin Thompson mixing in for a play here and there.

https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1176901618454990848

Users who are viewing this thread