What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay on Hakeem Butler, David Montgomery and Brock Purdy

Excerpt:

David Montgomery

5-foot-11, 216 pounds, jr., running back

Background: Montgomery has been one of Iowa State’s most consistent players on offense the past three seasons, piling up 2,474 yards and 19 rushing touchdowns in 33 games. He’s averaged 4.6 yards per carry in his career and has shown toughness, too, leading the nation in forced missed tackles with 109 last season.

What McSay says: “Obviously he’s been productive the last couple of years. I think he’s shifty. He’s got enough foot speed to hit the cutback lane. You see acceleration in his game. I think he’s got good instincts. Occasionally, he’s a little bit impatient. But overall, his agility, his competitions as a runner (is good). He’s not the neatest back but he averages solid 5’s.

"He runs with good balance. Protects the football. Overall, I think he’s just a really solid player. I think he probably projects somewhere in Day 2 range. Worse case, probably like the third or fourth round. More than likely, I feel like the third round is about where he projects.”

Last edited:
David Montgomery - RB -  Cyclones

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery forced 14 missed tackles in Saturday's 27-24 win over Drake.

Montgomery is only six missed tackles away from Devin Singletary, the leader this season. Montgomery is looking to lead the FBS in missed tackles again after finishing with the most last season. He also recorded 118 of his 145 total rushing yards after contact. Montgomery has proven over that past two seasons that he refuses to go down on first contact. He will likely play in one last game for the Cyclones before declaring for the NFL Draft. He has a legitimate chance to be the first running back off the board.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 1:58 PM

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery ran the ball 19 times for 149 yards with three touchdowns in a 42-38 victory over Kansas State on Saturday.

This was a game that Kansas State lead 38-21 in the fourth quarter, but the Cyclones were able to pull off a tremendous comeback to give them the victory and keep Kansas State from qualifying for a bowl game. Montgomery was a big part of that, and the three trips to the end zone give him 10 on the season. He showed off the ability to make tacklers miss that made him so intriguing in 2017, and assuming he has a big game against Drake next Saturday, he should go over the thousand-yard mark.

Nov 24 - 10:35 PM

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery forced 11 missed tackles in Saturday's game against Texas Tech.

Montgomery also recorded 82 of his 127 total rushing yards after contact. He is in the conversation to be the first running back off the board in the 2019 draft and it's well-deserved. Montgomery almost never goes down on first contact and is powerful yet elusive as a runner. Strong athletic testing at the combine could make his draft stock skyrocket into the top half of the first round.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Oct 28 - 10:04 AM

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery rushed for 125 yards and two touchdowns on 33 carries in Saturday's 40-31 win over Texas Tech.

Montgomery (5'11/216) just keeps churning along. His ypc average won't impress you -- today it was 3.8 -- but won't let NFL Draft types tell you in the spring that this is a negative for his evaluation. Context is crucial. Montgomery has been dealing with injuries for most of the campaign and he's running behind a shoddy line. Montgomery is a versatile broken-tackle machine whose motor always runs hot.

Oct 27 - 5:26 PM

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery forced 14 missed tackles on 28 carries against West Virginia, according to Pro Football Focus.

Montgomery (5'11/216) hans't been fully healthy this year, but he looked great in the upset win on Saturday. The junior back rushed for 189 yards (6.75 YPC) with many yards coming after forcing missed tackles. Pro Football Focus said, "A healthy Montgomery is as good as any running back in the country." Montgomery is up to 523 yards and four touchdowns on the year.

Source: Pro Football Focus 

Oct 14 - 1:20 PM

NOTEBOOK: Montgomery's rushing efficiency, Saturday's cold temps

Excerpt:

For all the attention Iowa State running back David Montgomery receives for his forced missed tackles or even 100-yard rushing games, the junior has come up big for the Cyclones in a far less sexy statistic.

Montgomery rushed only 14 times for 64 yards in Iowa State’s 27-3 win Saturday, but his performance was an efficient one. When all was said and done, nine of Montgomery’s 14 carries went for four-plus yards or a first down, a number many football teams eye as the mark of rushing efficiency.

“We definitely keep track of run efficiency as the season goes and it helps us kind of navigate not only for him but our entire running game: What are we doing well? What aren’t we doing well? Obviously if there are areas that need to continue to change we need to do it,” Matt Campbell said. "Some of the run game is a little bit skewed from last week because of the sacks, but as we handed the ball off and did some things, some real positive against a really good defensive front last week. David, there was a lot of efficiency in his play on Saturday.”

Montgomery’s game has gotten more efficient as the 2018 season has gone along. Through seven games (he missed one due to injury) 78 of Montgomery’s 158 carries this season have been for four-plus yards, a first down or touchdown, giving him a rushing efficiency of 49.4 percent. While many NFL teams push for 60 percent, college teams are likely satisfied with a lower threshold. 

In his three games with Brock Purdy at quarterback, Montgomery’s rushing efficiency mark is at 51.3 percent (39 of 76 carries) and the number has continued to improve during the course of the team’s recent four-game winning streak.

Greg Gabriel early 2019 NFL Draft breakdown: Iowa State RB David Montgomery

Receiving skills up draft value of Montgomery, who can be an every-down back in the NFL

By GREG GABRIEL -- @greggabe

July 30, 2018

Since 2015, following a roughly five-year period in which the position was devalued in drafts, running backs are again being viewed as priority picks. The trend started with Todd Gurley, selected 10th overall by the Rams in '15. Then, it was followed up with Zeke Elliott going No. 4 to Dallas in 2016, Leonard Fournette going to Jacksonville with the fourth pick in 2017 and, finally, Saquon Barkley going to the Giants at No. 2 this year.

Although the quality running backs are now getting drafted higher, they still aren’t getting paid like other positions when it comes to negotiating their second contracts. Crossing that barrier could come shortly.

The 2019 draft might not have the top quality running back who goes in the top 10, like we have seen the past few seasons, but there will be some backs that will become very good once they reach the NFL. I have already written up Stanford’s Bryce Love, and today we look at Iowa State’s David Montgomery.

Montgomery, a true junior, has been a starter at Iowa State since Game Nine of his freshman year in 2016. Coming out of high school, Montgomery was rated as a 3-star prospect, receiving offers from such schools as Purdue, Illinois and Indiana. He had an excellent season in 2017, finishing with 1,146 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns, combined with 36 receptions for another 296 yards.

In fairness to Montgomery, he doesn’t have the line to run behind at Iowa State like backs at Alabama, Georgia and Oklahoma. Put him at those schools and his rushing stats would be much better.

Montgomery is listed as being 5110 – 216, and he looks all of that. I wouldn’t say he has great speed, but he has good play speed. His time will probably be in the mid 4.5s when he runs at the Combine. What Montgomery has is very good quickness and a burst. He is able to get to full speed very quickly. He also possesses very quick feet and excellent change of direction, balance and body control. He isn’t a breakaway-type runner, but Montgomery gets a number of 15-to-20-yard runs. In only one game this past season did he have a run of more than 40 yards.

Montgomery shows very good vision and run instincts. He is more of a jump-cutter than a cutback-type, but he does show that he can cut back when the opening is there. Montgomery has a low running style, and he attacks his opponents on contact. He is not a move-the-pile runner, but Montgomery does consistently get yardage after first contact. His leg drive is very good. In the open field, he can make opponents miss with his quick feet and burst.

Where Montgomery excels is as a pass receiver. He has very good hands and does a great job adjusting to the ball. He is quick to turn up field after the catch and get positive yards. It is these traits that will make him a valuable prospect for the NFL, where he will be an every-down back.

The area where Montgomery needs to improve is with his pass blocking. He shows a willingness — and that is important in the evaluation process. But he needs to improve his positioning and hand use. He also needs to anchor a little better, which will come once he gets to the NFL level.

Overall, Montgomery might not be a household name among college football fans, but he is a very solid NFL prospect who easily will be a Day Two selection when he comes out. If he greatly improves his numbers from 2017 and has a great Combine and/or Pro Day, Montgomery could even slip into Day One. At this time, though, I don’t see a first-round talent.

Potential 2019 Chiefs draft prospects: Running back edition

Excerpt:

David Montgomery RB Iowa State

Unlike everyone else, David Mongomery is actually playing in a game today. The game isn’t actually a conference championship game though, instead it’s a makeup game from a canceled contest against an FCS team earlier in the season. At 11:00 a.m. CT, Iowa State will face off against Drake in what will be their final regular season contest.

Montgomery is an interesting option for the Chiefs. Like Kareem Hunt, Montgomery has been the toughest running back to tackle in college football throughout his senior year. According to Pro Football Focus, Montgomery is averaging 3.4 yards after contact, he’s forced 159 missed tackles on the year, and he’s averaging 0.35 missed tackles per attempt. If the Chiefs are looking to replace the elusiveness that Hunt featured in his skillset, Montgomery is the guy. Montgomery might not have the breakaway speed that Hunt has, but he’s a patient runner with great balance when running through contact.

He’ll be a coveted player in the draft for teams looking to add a running back and might simply be out of the Chiefs’ range. I’m not sure if a team will like him enough to spend a first round pick on him, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he goes in top half of the second round.

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery rushed 26 times for 124 yards and one touchdown in Friday's 28-26 bowl loss to Washington State.

Montgomery (5'11/216) also broke free for a 53-yard catch-and-run in the fourth quarter, which set up a touchdown and a (failed) chance at tying the game. As a runner, Montgomery wasn't running wild (4.8 YPC), but it's another solid game for the NFL prospect. Montgomery's season-long boxscore stats aren't jaw dropping (1,216 yards and 13 touchdown), but he's atop the leaderboards in almost all broken tackle metrics. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes Montgomery "could push into the first (round)" if he aces his predraft evaluation process.

Dec 29 - 1:08 AM

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reported that a declaration was in the works earlier on Monday. Montgomery (5'11/216) is a dynamic, versatile prospect, one whose game as a pass-catcher -- he logged 71 receptions for his Iowa State career -- is well-suited for the current NFL. As a rusher, Montgomery has topped 1,000 yards in each of his last two collegiate campaigns. A Day 1 selection should not be ruled out, here, especially if Montgomery impresses in evaluation over the coming months. While we aren't completely gaga over this running back class, there are a handful of intriguing prospects we will be keeping an eye on, Monty among them.

Source: David Montgomery on Twitter 

Jan 7 - 11:34 AM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes that Iowa State RB would be a fit for the Eagles.

Makes sense to us. Montgomery is one of the best running backs in this class, and while the Eagles got decent play at times from players like Josh Adams and Wendell Smallwood, it's fair to say that Philadelphia has a need at the position. Miller notes that Montgomery is a "powerful" (5'11/216) pack who also has good hands. It'd assuredly be on Day 2 at the earliest, but Montgomery certainly makes sense as a target for the Eagles.

Source: Matt Miller on Twitter 

Jan 28 - 3:27 PM

If the Eagles pick him I think he makes a case for 1.2 or 1.3 depending on if KC goes after a RB within the first 3 rounds.

I like others ahead of him, but I think 2 or 3 backs get drafted into favorable positions

Philadelphia Eagles reporter and draft analyst Fran Duffy believes that you should "trust the tape" with Iowa State RB David Montgomery.

In other words, this is a player that won't wow at the combine and at the pro day with athleticism. What can't be measured at events like that -- for the most part, anyway -- is his "contact balance and lateral agility." Duffy compares him to Kareem Hunt in that way, while also noting that Hunt didn't test particularly well, either. Even if Montgomery isn't an elite tester, there's a really good chance that his tape is good enough to make him a Day 2 pick.

SOURCE: Philadelphia Eagles

Feb 12, 2019, 4:24 PM

Okay you’ve got my attention. Why? What do you love about Montgomery? What aren’t people seeing?
Of course, Montgomery is a three down back. He’s the best pass catcher in the class. His the only back in history to have 100 missed tackles in rushing and receiving. Some of the top backs in the league today have this in common. Every single one of them. Speed is not a concern and he has a wicked stiff arm to add to his arsenal.

i don’t know and never said people weren’t seeing anything from him but the guy is the best at what he does and there’s not a single back in this draft that’s better at it.

Just my humble opinion but Josh is probably the only on to challenge him at the top spot. Even if he does it doesn’t negate what kind of rookie season he could have.

The real questions is what is it not to like?

Tex

Of course, Montgomery is a three down back. He’s the best pass catcher in the class. His the only back in history to have 100 missed tackles in rushing and receiving. Some of the top backs in the league today have this in common. Every single one of them. Speed is not a concern and he has a wicked stiff arm to add to his arsenal.

i don’t know and never said people weren’t seeing anything from him but the guy is the best at what he does and there’s not a single back in this draft that’s better at it.

Just my humble opinion but Josh is probably the only on to challenge him at the top spot. Even if he does it doesn’t negate what kind of rookie season he could have.

Tex
This is awesome. The knock I keep hearing is can he move well enough for a big guy and lack of top end speed. Not saying I agree or know the answer to this but that’s what the haters are hating on.

This is awesome. The knock I keep hearing is can he move well enough for a big guy and lack of top end speed. Not saying I agree or know the answer to this but that’s what the haters are hating on.
He used to be a WR, turned into an incredibly RB. Haters, naysayers will always do their job. Some are really hating then some try to throw you off the scent to they can draft him but either way Monty is that guy. You don’t break records without speed. Oh and he has good vision.

Tex

I actually love his lateral agility for his size - watch how he glides sideways to get around defenders and then quickly cuts upfield. I don't think he's "fast" but he looks to have enough speed. Oddly enough his lateral agility reminds me of Phillip Lindsay from last year with 30 more pounds on him (he's not nearly as fast though).

I'm penciling him in at the top of my RB rankings for now - but as usual situation will also need to be factored in.

Last edited by a moderator:
He used to be a WR, turned into an incredibly RB. Haters, naysayers will always do their job. Some are really hating then some try to throw you off the scent to they can draft him but either way Monty is that guy. You don’t break records without speed. Oh and he has good vision.

Tex
Wow. That’s awesome and good to know. I have the 1.01 and he’s now in the mix for who I take. It’s going to be very dependent on landing spot this year for me. Where do you see good and bad spots for him? Or do you think he’s landing spot proof?

Wow. That’s awesome and good to know. I have the 1.01 and he’s now in the mix for who I take. It’s going to be very dependent on landing spot this year for me. Where do you see good and bad spots for him? Or do you think he’s landing spot proof?
Except for truly elite guys like Barkley there are not many RBs that are landing spot proof.

I think two great spots have already been mentioned (KC and Philly) although the Eagles seem to favor a RBBC approach.

The Ravens would have me very interested as well as would Tampa Bay (although it's hard to imagine TB spending another high pick at RB unless they realize that Jones was a mistake and are willing to cut their losses.

I think one problem is that there aren't very many open backfields right now and guys like Bell, Coleman and Ingram could fill some of them before we even get to the draft.

Montgomery is a lot like AJ Brown to me.

What I mean by that is that he was the #1 back in the class 4 months ago or more, but peaked early in hype and now everyone is onto the next one (Jacobs). 

Montgomery has all of the pieces to be a good back. He is currently #4 on my list, but once we have the combine that will change no doubt.

I havent discarded him at 1.1 yet. As mentioned above, all of these RBs are destination dependant 

Dr. Octopus said:
Except for truly elite guys like Barkley there are not many RBs that are landing spot proof.

I think two great spots have already been mentioned (KC and Philly) although the Eagles seem to favor a RBBC approach.

The Ravens would have me very interested as well as would Tampa Bay (although it's hard to imagine TB spending another high pick at RB unless they realize that Jones was a mistake and are willing to cut their losses.

I think one problem is that there aren't very many open backfields right now and guys like Bell, Coleman and Ingram could fill some of them before we even get to the draft.
I believe Monty has the makeup to change the scheme in Philly. The fact the catching the ball is a plus. He could be the best catcher in the backfield and no reason to come off the field. So I would pump the brakes on that idea at the moment.

Tex

BigTex said:

Tex
I haven't watched Montgomery a ton but his highlights remind me a bit of Kareem Hunt, who I really liked as a prospect.

The problem I'm having is broken tackles are all well and good, but there are different types of broken tackles.  There are the tackles you break where you slow down so much you just end up getting dogpiled on by 6 other defenders at the same spot anyway, and there are the tackles you break where guys bounce off your thunder thighs while you run at full speed without slowing down and end up picking up 15-30 extra yards.

Montgomery's seem to be a lot of the former rather than the latter.  And that leads in to the next concern I have which is that even with all those broken tackles his actual production per carry was really really bad.  4.4ypc in 2017 and 4.7ypc in 2018 for a career 4.7ypc is frankly beyond abysmal in college where that number is generally a LOT higher than it is in the pros.  Now I certainly understand that workhorse carries behind Iowa State's offensive line isn't exactly ideal but that was a weak defensive conference and looking around there are guys on even worse teams in that conference that did a lot more per touch.  For instance something called an Alex Barnes had a similar workhorse role on a much worse Kansas State team but still averaged almost a full YPC more than Montgomery, and people aren't exactly rushing out to grab this Alex Barnes guy.

I still like Montgomery as a prospect but in terms of "what's not to like" to me that is very much a concern.

I haven't watched Montgomery a ton but his highlights remind me a bit of Kareem Hunt, who I really liked as a prospect.

The problem I'm having is broken tackles are all well and good, but there are different types of broken tackles.  There are the tackles you break where you slow down so much you just end up getting dogpiled on by 6 other defenders at the same spot anyway, and there are the tackles you break where guys bounce off your thunder thighs while you run at full speed without slowing down and end up picking up 15-30 extra yards.

Montgomery's seem to be a lot of the former rather than the latter.  And that leads in to the next concern I have which is that even with all those broken tackles his actual production per carry was really really bad.  4.4ypc in 2017 and 4.7ypc in 2018 for a career 4.7ypc is frankly beyond abysmal in college where that number is generally a LOT higher than it is in the pros.  Now I certainly understand that workhorse carries behind Iowa State's offensive line isn't exactly ideal but that was a weak defensive conference and looking around there are guys on even worse teams in that conference that did a lot more per touch.  For instance something called an Alex Barned had a similar workhorse role on a much worse Kansas State team but still averaged almost a full YPC more than Montgomery.

I still like Montgomery as a prospect but in terms of "what's not to like" to me that is very much a concern.
I believe one of the biggest negatives was that he had no explosion in the 2nd level. so he breaks the first tackle and then essentially does nothing after. I could be wrong, but I thought this was discussed in the 2019 prospect thread.

I believe Monty has the makeup to change the scheme in Philly. The fact the catching the ball is a plus. He could be the best catcher in the backfield and no reason to come off the field. So I would pump the brakes on that idea at the moment.

Tex
Pump the breaks on my observation that Philly favors a RBBC?

Montgomery's seem to be a lot of the former rather than the latter.  And that leads in to the next concern I have which is that even with all those broken tackles his actual production per carry was really really bad.  4.4ypc in 2017 and 4.7ypc in 2018 for a career 4.7ypc is frankly beyond abysmal in college where that number is generally a LOT higher than it is in the pros.  Now I certainly understand that workhorse carries behind Iowa State's offensive line isn't exactly ideal but that was a weak defensive conference and looking around there are guys on even worse teams in that conference that did a lot more per touch.  For instance something called an Alex Barnes had a similar workhorse role on a much worse Kansas State team but still averaged almost a full YPC more than Montgomery, and people aren't exactly rushing out to grab this Alex Barnes guy.

Did you know he has one of the worst OL in the College Football? There’s only so much you can do with a horrible line which is why he has so many missed/broken tackles and consider his production in-spite of his line the guy is damn good. IIRC he and Snell or Singleton has the two worse OL.

I make valid points but this must not be lost and shines a better line and what he actually accomplished and could have done more if he had an average OL.

Tex

Pump the breaks on my observation that Philly favors a RBBC?
Yes, I agree with your other observations but I believe he has all the tools to stay on the field. He’s also one of the top rated pass blocking backs so he’ll protect Wentz which is exactly what Philly needs.

Tex

Yes, I agree with your other observations but I believe he has all the tools to stay on the field. He’s also one of the top rated pass blocking backs so he’ll protect Wentz which is exactly what Philly needs.

Tex
I agree with his skill set making him a capable 3 down back but the team's philosophy still has to be a concern if he lands in Philly. Ajayi was also a capable 3 down back that they actually traded for and he was still used in a committee there. I believe Montgomery's easily capable of leading the committee and I would still be fine with the landing spot if he is drafted by Philly, but we have to be realistic in our assessments as well and we have two full seasons of Pederson's tendencies to fall back on.

I agree with his skill set making him a capable 3 down back but the team's philosophy still has to be a concern if he lands in Philly. Ajayi was also a capable 3 down back that they actually traded for and he was still used in a committee there. I believe Montgomery's easily capable of leading the committee and I would still be fine with the landing spot if he is drafted by Philly, but we have to be realistic in our assessments as well and we have two full seasons of Pederson's tendencies to fall back on.
Valid, especially the Ajayi angle but didn’t they want to limit his touches out of concern for his knee? I really don’t exactly remember but I thought they limited him because of some concerns. 

When you say RBBC what type of split are you talking? Just curious.....

Tex

Valid, especially the Ajayi angle but didn’t they want to limit his touches out of concern for his knee? I really don’t exactly remember but I thought they limited him because of some concerns. 

When you say RBBC what type of split are you talking? Just curious.....

Tex
I wouldn't venture a guess as to the split - I'm just speaking to the fact that traditionally they have used multiple backs in a rotation especially when Sproles was healthy (good news is that I can't imagine he comes back at 36). 

I would expect that if they used a high draft pick at RB that back would lead the way and I believe they only have Corey Clement and Josh Adams under contract currently.

I wouldn't venture a guess as to the split - I'm just speaking to the fact that traditionally they have used multiple backs in a rotation especially when Sproles was healthy (good news is that I can't imagine he comes back at 36). 

I would expect that if they used a high draft pick at RB that back would lead the way and I believe they only have Corey Clement and Josh Adams under contract currently.
I see where you’re coming from. 👍🏾

Tex

Per Pro Football Focus, Iowa State RB David Montgomery led the Big 12 in missed tackles forced last season.

Montgomery (5'11/216) forced 100 missed tackles in 2018, nearly double the next closest running back, Oklahoma's Trey Sermon. Montgomery not only led the Big 12 in missed tackles forced but also led the entire NCAA in missed tackles forced each of the past two seasons. He uses a combination of power and elusiveness to consistently evade tacklers. The major question mark revolves around his overall athletic profile. His testing numbers will likely shift his draft stock from a second-round selection to a late first rounder if he outperforms expectations.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Feb 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compares Iowa State RB David Montgomery to Kareem Hunt.

This is an on-field comparison to be clear, and it's not the first time we have heard this comp, as Philadelphia Eagles reporter Fran Duffy made the same one two weeks ago. Miller likes Montgomery's speed and ability to catch passes in today's NFL, but he showed a high-end ability to break tackles as well. In fact, Pro Football Focus credited Montgomery with the most missed tackles forced in the Big 12. While Montgomery is being praised by draft analysts, there has not been a lot of support for Montgomery as a Day 1 pick, so expect him to be drafted in Round 2.

SOURCE: The Draft Board

Feb 24, 2019, 4:30 PM

You make some good points that raises a few questions for me.

I wonder what the percentage of NFL drafted players had 5 ypc or more? I am guessing it may be as high as 80% of them or more.

I tend to agree with your point that the weakness of personnel for Iowa State should be mitigated by the lower level of defensive competition they are facing.

I also think this may be a case where this stat tells us something about the players play style, and how it might not be good enough at the NFL level.

I had some doubts about David Johnson also from Iowa State. He was more of an unknown compared to Montgomery right now. There wasn't much to watch of him and he wasn't really on anyones radar until the senior bowl and then after the combine.

DJs success may be part of why we know more about Montgomery now than most did about DJ then.

Watching this game vs Iklahoma you can see the offensive line is losing consistently all game. Especially when they try to pass protect.

You can see Montgomery make some good runs anyways and he looks better than DJ did in the few clips I could find on him at the time. Particularly DJs game against Iowa that I watched where he was stuffed like a turkey the whole game. It made me and other folks like Greg Cossell wonder if DH can run between the tackles or not it was so bad.

Montgomery shows some good vision to find opening in the defense when it is there. It isn't there for most of the plays in the clip. He has good footwork and change of direction ability, decent pad level and power to finish. Not that much burst though.

YPC is a pretty flawed statistic in general but in this case I think it does tell a story about Montgomery which makes you wonder how well he translates to the next level. He needs some blocking.

I like his catching ability and in the right fit I think he could be a good fantasy player. See Ray Rice. I don't really see him as a tier one RB on pure talent alone though. 

Maybe I am just spoiled by the RB who have come out the last two seasons and the bar for tier one is getting higher in my perspective because of that. Nick Chubb almost didn't make tier one for me last year.

Biabreakable said:
I had some doubts about David Johnson also from Iowa State. He was more of an unknown compared to Montgomery right now. There wasn't much to watch of him and he wasn't really on anyones radar until the senior bowl and then after the combine.
Minor correction, should it matter - David Johnson attended the University of Northern Iowa (UNI), not Iowa State University (ISU). UNI participates in the Missouri Valley Conference and ISU in the Big 12.

Minor correction, should it matter - David Johnson attended the University of Northern Iowa (UNI), not Iowa State University (ISU). UNI participates in the Missouri Valley Conference and ISU in the Big 12.
My mistake.

Way too many schools for me to keep track of.

ESPN's Matt Bowen ranks Iowa State RB David Montgomery second among "complete" backs in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

The only tailback ahead, in Bowen's mind, is Alabama's Joshua Jacobs. As Bowen notes, Montgomery has been a high-volume player over the last two years for the Cyclones, and he's shown his "wiggle" as both a runner and pass-catcher. He also notes that he looks natural in pass protection, which is obviously big for teams that want Montgomery to play on third down, and looks "natural" catching the ball on film. "Flip that forward to the NFL screen game, the underneath routes and the quick arrow/option routes," Bowen writes. "That will allow him to win within the route vs. linebackers and use his movement skills after the catch."

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 26, 2019, 7:21 PM

Users who are viewing this thread