Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB David Montgomery, Bears


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While week 1 overreactions are standard, I also think that people who are outraged about Montgomery's share are not appreciating the following: Cohen will always drain some looks as he is a prov

potential top rb in rookie drafts. Hoping KC decides to start over at rb and take him

Reality is: - The article you posted is from August 1, before any preseason games. - Davis was paid minimal money to come to Chicago.  - The Bears had no other meaningful RB besides Coh

49 minutes ago, trader jake said:

Not really.  Yards per carry is almost a completely meaningless statistic when it comes to fantasy football prognostication.

It's by no means my favorite stat, but with the proper context it is far from meaningless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RushHour said:

Looks super average and this is an absolutely terrible offense. He can be a fantasy RB2 type just on volume but not much upside here IMO.

I will be honest I had him on my want list, but with Cohen right behind him I didn't take him. I do think as you said he will continue to be a RB2 guy and have some decent weeks, but his snaps is what scares me.

Edited by PennStater77
Link to post
Share on other sites

While Trubisky is not that great, I think the offense will improve. They played what appears to be a vastly-improved Packers D Week 1, and then the Broncos defense, which is still tough, in week 2.  With games coming up against Washington and Oakland, the offense should get right soon. Not saying they are going to turn into the Chiefs or Patriots, but sunny days should be ahead, and Montgomery should reap some of the benefits. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

While Trubisky is not that great, I think the offense will improve. They played what appears to be a vastly-improved Packers D Week 1, and then the Broncos defense, which is still tough, in week 2.  With games coming up against Washington and Oakland, the offense should get right soon. Not saying they are going to turn into the Chiefs or Patriots, but sunny days should be ahead, and Montgomery should reap some of the benefits. 

Unless Nagy changes his approach (and NFL coaches are some of the most stubborn people on the planet), this offense will continue to be bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RushHour said:

Unless Nagy changes his approach (and NFL coaches are some of the most stubborn people on the planet), this offense will continue to be bad. 

I have issue with Nagy's play-calling, but as I said after the week 1 game, I think he recognizes the limitations of his QB and has adjusted his calling of plays as a result, so we are not seeing his full playbook.  

I don't see Montgomery turning into a fantasy stud over night, but I think he'll be a good RB2 this season, unless Nagy goes brain dead and decides to give Mike Davis a bunch of touches again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I have issue with Nagy's play-calling, but as I said after the week 1 game, I think he recognizes the limitations of his QB and has adjusted his calling of plays as a result, so we are not seeing his full playbook.  

I don't see Montgomery turning into a fantasy stud over night, but I think he'll be a good RB2 this season, unless Nagy goes brain dead and decides to give Mike Davis a bunch of touches again.  

I personally think it's more that he wants to just play a grind it out style where the team relies on the defense to win games. He throws in a few funky plays here and there to maintain his 'offensive genius' rep, but really he's overdoing it a bit and it's all a bit overcomplicated right now. You can see that guys are getting in each other's way, things aren't in sync.

I guess I'm the last guy who still defends Trubisky, but I truly think he's getting a rough deal here. He's a player who needs to free wheel a bit and take on a defense. When he does that, he can succeed. He might make mistakes, but that approach brings out the best in him. Right now, he's simply asked to be a game manager, move the chains excruciatingly, bit by bit, and that's it. It magnifies every mistake and doesn't allow him to do anything that will threaten a defense. 

IMO Trubisky looks like he can't do anything because the NFL has already figured Nagy out. WRs are never open, teams know Nagy is not going to challenge them beyond 10-15 yards and that's why everything is so difficult and they look slow and stuck in mud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RushHour said:

I personally think it's more that he wants to just play a grind it out style where the team relies on the defense to win games. He throws in a few funky plays here and there to maintain his 'offensive genius' rep, but really he's overdoing it a bit and it's all a bit overcomplicated right now. You can see that guys are getting in each other's way, things aren't in sync.

I guess I'm the last guy who still defends Trubisky, but I truly think he's getting a rough deal here. He's a player who needs to free wheel a bit and take on a defense. When he does that, he can succeed. He might make mistakes, but that approach brings out the best in him. Right now, he's simply asked to be a game manager, move the chains excruciatingly, bit by bit, and that's it. It magnifies every mistake and doesn't allow him to do anything that will threaten a defense. 

IMO Trubisky looks like he can't do anything because the NFL has already figured Nagy out. WRs are never open, teams know Nagy is not going to challenge them beyond 10-15 yards and that's why everything is so difficult and they look slow and stuck in mud. 

good post!  I agree with all of it.  Way too conservative & that will not get you as far as you want to get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PennStater77 said:

I will be honest I had him on my want list, but with Cohen right behind him I didn't take him. I do think as you said he will continue to be a RB2 guy and have some decent weeks, but his snaps is what scares me.

This is fair. While he had 18 carries and 3 targets, he only played 27 snaps. That's a 78% utilization and is seriously tipping your hand to the defense. Any DC worth his salt is going to pick up on that going forward and will lock in on Monty, making his life pretty difficult. As a fantasy owner, you always want your guys to get touches, but personally I prefer not to see utilization go above 50%. You gotta at least keep the defense guessing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FF Ninja said:

This is fair. While he had 18 carries and 3 targets, he only played 27 snaps. That's a 78% utilization and is seriously tipping your hand to the defense. Any DC worth his salt is going to pick up on that going forward and will lock in on Monty, making his life pretty difficult. As a fantasy owner, you always want your guys to get touches, but personally I prefer not to see utilization go above 50%. You gotta at least keep the defense guessing!

That's also Michel in a nutshell. Red herring a bit, I know, but that's what I immediately thought of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

That's also Michel in a nutshell. Red herring a bit, I know, but that's what I immediately thought of.

I've seen a few players suffer from it throughout my fantasy days. Mark Ingram early in his career pretty much ran the ball every time he was in the game. Ryan Mathews also had a super high utilization throughout his career in San Diego. Both of those guys had 3 down ability. I don't understand why coaches didn't utilize it... although Payton did later in Ingram's career and it paid off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FF Ninja said:

I've seen a few players suffer from it throughout my fantasy days. Mark Ingram early in his career pretty much ran the ball every time he was in the game. Ryan Mathews also had a super high utilization throughout his career in San Diego. Both of those guys had 3 down ability. I don't understand why coaches didn't utilize it... although Payton did later in Ingram's career and it paid off.

Ingram I also got to see that happen to. Mathews was West Coast (I was East) in a smaller market so I never really got to watch that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Ingram I also got to see that happen to. Mathews was West Coast (I was East) in a smaller market so I never really got to watch that.

I just looked up Michel (don't have him in any leagues) - he's at 62% with zero targets. I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but wtf? His scouting report said he was the most pro-ready pass blocker out of that whole class and NE is using him as a grinder. BB is so weird. It reminds me of when he had Dion Lewis, one of the most dynamic players in space, and he primarily utilized him in between the tackles and gave all the targets to James White. Sure, White had good hands and good routes (so did Dion), but he didn't have nearly the moves Dion did in space.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

I just looked up Michel (don't have him in any leagues) - he's at 62% with zero targets. I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but wtf? His scouting report said he was the most pro-ready pass blocker out of that whole class and NE is using him as a grinder. BB is so weird. It reminds me of when he had Dion Lewis, one of the most dynamic players in space, and he primarily utilized him in between the tackles and gave all the targets to James White. Sure, White had good hands and good routes (so did Dion), but he didn't have nearly the moves Dion did in space.

It's strange. It looks like BB wants him for three-four yards and a cloud and is satisfied with that. All I can do is shrug and tip my cap. Too bad I drafted him 2.11. He's a TD-dependent RB2/3 it seems so far. Thank God I'm not PPR in the league I have him (did that on purpose, actually) and Jacobs. Anyway, I won't derail any longer. Thanks for looking that up. It's at least a relevant and salient point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

once Nagy stops being cutesie matt nagy , we might see some progress.every time i watch Chi play, it's like 'wtf is he doing what plays is he calling??' he's too much about trickeration and 'hey look how smart i am i call double reverse end around flea flicker checkdown to the TE ,3 yards downfield plays!' nagy sucks, he just absolutely does.dreadful play caller. they've avg'd about 17 ppg last 10 games.first half of 2018, they avg'd 29 ppg. defenses have figured him out, and the ole' golf cap baldie hasn't figured that out yet. he's to busy being 'cute' with his play calling. 

hopefully  he'll get his %%%% together and starts feeding Monty 20+ times/gm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, joffer said:

don't know how good Monty will be going forward, but i know i'm bailing on Mike Davis across the board.

He's not a bad player, but definitely a pure handcuff at this point. Given Cohen's snaps in the slot, Davis is probably one of the best injury handcuffs out there... solid talent, great OL, great defense... He's a step below Penny/Pollard level handcuff, but he'd be a hot commodity should an unthinkable injury occur. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBottomLine said:

Looking at snap counts, he had 7 touches in 28 snaps week one, and 19 touches in only 27 snaps week two?  Over 2/3 of the time he was in, he touched it.  

Yeah, that's what I was talking about here:

On 9/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, FF Ninja said:

While he had 18 carries and 3 targets, he only played 27 snaps. That's a 78% utilization and is seriously tipping your hand to the defense. Any DC worth his salt is going to pick up on that going forward and will lock in on Monty, making his life pretty difficult. As a fantasy owner, you always want your guys to get touches, but personally I prefer not to see utilization go above 50%. You gotta at least keep the defense guessing!

I'd like to see him get some more play action snaps and/or pass blocking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Has anyone moved him?  If so, what did you get in return?

Sadly, I just traded him in ppr, so I'll only be watching as a Bears fan now. Was hurting at qb and traded Montgomery and Trubisky for Mayfield and Marquise Goodwin 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Was offered Waller and Lindsay for him but gonna hold. 

 

27 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Was offered Waller and Lindsay for him but gonna hold. 

Damn. I would've loved that. Need a TE extremely bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Landro21 said:

I’m getting quite a few offers in dynasty for him...Hopkins and Garrapolo for Montgomery and Mahomes as an example... not a lot of one for one offers 

What? Hopkins?

Tex

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JetMaxx said:

No. You prematurely blew that assessment.

my assessment was when I watched him in college. Admittedly, I've never been a big fan. Great vision, great stop-starts, great at breaking tackles. Athletic ability and burst/acceleration always concerned me and still does. Outside that run (which is his forte, his patience) I still have not been overly impressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been officially neutral on Monty from the start, but he's trending negatively. 

Nagy thinks he's smarter than he is & Monty may not be dynamic enough for his skill set. It's a tough go in the NFL when your calling card is breaking tackles.

The situation (mainly Nagy), alone, might be tough to overcome (anytime soon).

Edited by Football Jones
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

David Montgomery rushed 13 times for 67 yards and caught all three of his targets for 14 yards in the Bears' Week 3 win over the Redskins.

A great percentage of those yards, including a patient 25-yard run, came on the meaningless final drive with the Bears salting away a 16-point win. Still, Montgomery dominated backfield touches 16-6-1 over Tarik Cohen and Mike Davis. He's yet to really pop for a big game, but one is surely coming. Montgomery runs with ferocity and is easily the best back on the team. He draws another tough test against the Vikings in Week 4 as a borderline RB2/3. Mitchell Trubisky showing competence would go a long way for the run game.

Sep 23, 2019, 11:41 PM ET

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up pulling the trigger on him and traded for him in redraft a couple days ago.   I have Ingram and Sony Michel in my 16 teamer and I needed more depth at RB.  As my rb3 in a 16 teamer--I'm pretty thrilled.  Just watching the game--the guy has talent. He seems like  an rb that would get better as a game goes by if he gets consistent touches throughout that game.  It just seems like he's wasn't getting touches consistently throughout the course of tonights game.  I don't think that his talent is what is capping him--I think its coaching and scheme.   I do feel like at some point that Nagy will figure out that the Bears are better as a run first team offensively. I'm starting to feel like that in redraft that Montgomery is a buy low target if you don't have him--and he's a hold if you do have him.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...