Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB David Montgomery, Bears

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While week 1 overreactions are standard, I also think that people who are outraged about Montgomery's share are not appreciating the following: Cohen will always drain some looks as he is a prov

potential top rb in rookie drafts. Hoping KC decides to start over at rb and take him

Reality is: - The article you posted is from August 1, before any preseason games. - Davis was paid minimal money to come to Chicago.  - The Bears had no other meaningful RB besides Coh

1 hour ago, Cobbler1 said:

I dunno but Monty’s injury really highlighted the lack of anything behind him. Made me more interested in him actually. At the reduced ADP of course.

True nobody at all to compete for touches except third down. A volume back that will goal line work in the 6th? I'm in.

11 hours ago, JFS171 said:

But this inherently assumes he doesn’t have a single hiccup in his return. Soft tissue injuries are notoriously finicky. I distinctly remember Doug Martin’s last year in Tampa with a hamstring or groin injury one, and every time he returned to practice he had a setback. I think he played like 5 games all year (hurt week 3/4 and given the 2-4 week timetable and maybe came back super late in the year).

Definitely true but in the 6th/7th round every running back available is going to have MAJOR issues.

He's going just a couple picks ahead of Marlon Mack who has an extremely difficult path to relevant touches even without any injuries.  I think that is a fair price to take a chance on the groin injury.

Patrick Finley @patrickfinley

Tarik Cohen said the media has made a bigger deal out of David Montgomery’s injury than it really is.

https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/status/1303747552722980870?s=21

Chris Emma @CEmma670

Tarik Cohen believes David Montgomery (groin) is ready to roll: "He bounced back off it so fast, it's like it never happened. ... I just see him having a great year this year."

https://twitter.com/cemma670/status/1303747433109782530?s=21

David Montgomery (groin) participated in individual drills at Wednesday's practice.

He also stretched with the team. We'll get his official practice status later when the Bears release their injury report, but it sounds like Montgomery is headed in the right direction for Week 1 against the Lions. If cleared to play, Montgomery has a pretty clear path to volume, with only Ryan Nall behind him as a true ball-carrier. Tarik Cohen and Cordarrelle Patterson are gadget guys. Cohen suggested Montgomery looked good on the field Wednesday.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

David Montgomery (groin) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

It puts Montgomery on track for Sunday's opener against the Lions where he'll be a candidate for 18-plus carries as the lone true running back on the roster outside of someone named Ryan Nall. Expect the Bears to try and play ball-control offense with Montgomery and rely on their defense to get them a win on the road. Montgomery will be a volume-based RB2.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 5:02 PM ET

David Montgomery (groin) said he "didn't do much" at Wednesday's limited practice. 

Montgomery also told reporters he initially feared his groin was torn. The hope, of course, is that Montgomery will ramp up his participation level on Thursday and Friday, but he is looking genuinely questionable for Sunday's opener against the Lions. Fantasy players need to be making backup plans at their RB2 spots. 

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter 

Sep 10, 2020, 1:29 PM ET

David Montgomery (groin) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice. 

Montgomery is now fully on track to play against the Lions, though his workload will remain a matter of debate. Montgomery's practice participation has progressed quicker than anticipated, suggesting either a seamless recovery or a Bears rush job. The latter would be understandable considering how little is behind Montgomery on the depth chart, though he will then be at even greater risk of aggravation. Fantasy players can't trust Montgomery as more than a low-floor FLEX for the opener.  

Sep 10, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

David Montgomery rushed 13 times for 64 yards in Week 1 against the Lions. 

Montgomery played through a groin injury that limited him in practice. He lost a few carries to Tarik Cohen and got gameflowed in the second half with Chicago playing from behind. Montgomery's workload was encouraging given his questionable tag and that should continue to go up. He gets a matchup with the Giants next.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

David Montgomery exited Week 2 against the Giants with a neck injury and is questionable to return.

Montgomery went down in the second quarter, came off the field on his own, but had to go to the locker room. Prior to leaving, Montgomery caught a 28-yard touchdown from Mitchell Trubisky and had five carries for 23 yards on the ground. Tarik Cohen and Cordarrelle Patterson should handle most of the backfield work for however long Montgomery is out in this one.

Sep 20, 2020, 1:59 PM ET

David Montgomery rushed 16 times for 82 yards and caught all three of his targets for 45 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 2 win over the Giants.

Montgomery led the team in both rushing and receiving as the centerpiece of the offense in a game the Bears led from start to finish. He had to briefly leave the game with a neck injury in the second quarter, but Montgomery was ready to roll for the start of the third quarter. Montgomery created the whole play on the 28-yard score he caught on a short flipper from Mitchell Trubisky on a broken play. In games where the Bears are in it, Montgomery is the preferred ball handler for coach Matt Nagy, keeping it out of Trubisky's hands as much as possible. Chicago goes to Atlanta in Week 3 where the Bears will likely be underdogs. Montgomery is a volume-based RB2.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

David Montgomery rushed 14 times for 45 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for 9 yards in the Bears' Week 3 win over the Falcons.

The Bears were operating in extremely negative gamescript so it is not a surprise to see Montgomery's volume and production limited. With Tarik Cohen likely missing the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, Montgomery's touches should only increase moving forward. He has yet to score a rushing touchdown this season and is a RB2 option in Week 4 against the Colts.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:21 PM ET

18 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

this is a guy you should be targetting early this week in trades IMO. with cohen lost, montgomery is going to get most of that extra passing down work cohen had. not going to be  a league winner, but a startable option for sure.

Not to mention, a QB switch might breathe some life into this offense....

Just traded away Kareem Hunt to get Kenny Golladay, and this guy was a throw in (Parker/Hunt for Golladay/Montgomery). I've never owned a piece, seems like a schlumpf on a poor team. Came here to take a look, but this is a pretty dead thread. 

I guess the lack of interest tells me all I need to know. Was hoping I could use him for flex, but I'll bench him until he shows something (anything). 

1 hour ago, Truebluey said:

Just traded away Kareem Hunt to get Kenny Golladay, and this guy was a throw in (Parker/Hunt for Golladay/Montgomery). I've never owned a piece, seems like a schlumpf on a poor team. Came here to take a look, but this is a pretty dead thread. 

I guess the lack of interest tells me all I need to know. Was hoping I could use him for flex, but I'll bench him until he shows something (anything). 

He looked pretty good week 2 but last week was a disappointment. I've got him as an option for a flex, but starting McKinnon over him. With Cohen out I'm hoping Montgomery catches a lot more passes and has a big week sometime soon, so I can possibly use him in a trade during bye weeks. Biggest plus right now would seem to be the lack of other options on the Bears.

Moved Conner for Montgomery to a team that has RB depth this week. Redraft. I have Henry on bye as well so I needed to make some kind of move. Chubb at 1 but was going to be going with Nall at 2. Now I have him as a cuff and can exhale a little. 

Edited by barackdhouse
8 minutes ago, yoman said:

Probably not much but there was a report that said they envisioned him taking over some of the Cohen role.  

Which could render Nall almost useless. I saw something said the Bears really liked him and thought he had 3 down ability. Might be a dark horse for being Monty's cuff.

3 hours ago, Truebluey said:

I feel you you fleeced that guy..

4 hours ago, Truebluey said:

No dude. He is definitely useful and he should be on the rise now that Cohen is out and Foles got the job. And they're 3-0 and will have something to play for for a long while. 

He isn't fast but he makes people miss and takes great angles. He is a decent receiver too. 

Many people that hate on him but I mostly think the thread has been dead because Trubisky and the Bears O has been dreadful. Foles makes them a lot better IMO.

• Like 1

"Many people that hate on him but I mostly think the thread has been dead because Trubisky and the Bears O has been dreadful. Foles makes them a lot better IMO." 

Well I will hope you're right, but good players usually shine even on bad teams, and there doesn't seem to be much shining from him to date. 

59 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

"Many people that hate on him but I mostly think the thread has been dead because Trubisky and the Bears O has been dreadful. Foles makes them a lot better IMO." 

Well I will hope you're right, but good players usually shine even on bad teams, and there doesn't seem to be much shining from him to date. 

Respectfully disagree. He makes people miss. Trubisky was so bad last year. Nagy didn't know how to cover it up with his playcalling and they ended up doing a lot of predictable run plays with a crappy OL. They *seem* to be playing better and of course I am placing my hope in Foles hands that the offense will open up. I think Montgomery has put plenty of positive stuff on tape in his short career to date. 

I'll say this, I think we will have a much better idea of who he is real shortly. I'm not necessarily buying in dynasty but he is about to be a top 10 back in redraft. 

9 hours ago, Truebluey said:

He’s only in his second year and he’s on a crappy team.  Look up Joe Mixon’s and Le’Veon Bell’s. Rookie seasons.   

Im not saying Montgomery Is at their talent level but I think he’s extremely undervalued based on a rookie season playing for a Bears with Trubisky at QB. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Respectfully disagree. He makes people miss. Trubisky was so bad last year. Nagy didn't know how to cover it up with his playcalling and they ended up doing a lot of predictable run plays with a crappy OL. They *seem* to be playing better and of course I am placing my hope in Foles hands that the offense will open up. I think Montgomery has put plenty of positive stuff on tape in his short career to date. 

I'll say this, I think we will have a much better idea of who he is real shortly. I'm not necessarily buying in dynasty but he is about to be a top 10 back in redraft. 

Again, I know nothing about him, but

A) Foles is not good. In a small sample he can appear excellent. The larger the sample, the worse he looks. 

B)  Top 10? Really? OK, let's see if from Week 4 to Week 17 he is one of the Top 10 backs in the NFL. Are we just counting rushing, or receiving also? 

10 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Hey friend, I've come to realize you look at players a lot over the long term, I just rent them for 3-4 months in redraft. 

A lot of things line up for Monty but I echo others that I really haven't seen him put together a string of games that would make me want to get him into my starting roster. The Chicago offense is very up and down, and yes a lot of that falls on the QB position but the coaching might not be all that fantastic either or the overall "Chicago System" because I don't hear much about it as an elite offense. 

1 hour ago, Truebluey said:

Again, I know nothing about him, but

A) Foles is not good. In a small sample he can appear excellent. The larger the sample, the worse he looks. 

B)  Top 10? Really? OK, let's see if from Week 4 to Week 17 he is one of the Top 10 backs in the NFL. Are we just counting rushing, or receiving also? 

PPR fantasy points, what else?

14 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Hey friend, I've come to realize you look at players a lot over the long term, I just rent them for 3-4 months in redraft. 

A lot of things line up for Monty but I echo others that I really haven't seen him put together a string of games that would make me want to get him into my starting roster. The Chicago offense is very up and down, and yes a lot of that falls on the QB position but the coaching might not be all that fantastic either or the overall "Chicago System" because I don't hear much about it as an elite offense. 

Holy crap yeah no the Bears are not an elite offense. Even if Foles does what I think he will. Yeah I mentioned above that I'm not looking to get him in dynasty. But I think he is top 10 ROS. In redraft. But you'd have to trade for him. 

Anyway starting RBs whose short term horizons are looking up are valuable. Not sure how much more you're gonna find out there. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Holy crap yeah no the Bears are not an elite offense. Even if Foles does what I think he will. Yeah I mentioned above that I'm not looking to get him in dynasty. But I think he is top 10 ROS. In redraft. But you'd have to trade for him. 

Anyway starting RBs whose short term horizons are looking up are valuable. Not sure how much more you're gonna find out there. 

If not mentioned already, it also helps to read your posts with the little guy's voice in your avatar reading them to me. 😂

12 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

This.  Real soon, I will either be playing him as a mid rb2 or moving on.

David Montgomery rushed 10 times for 27 yards in the Bears' Week 4 loss to the Colts.

He added three catches for 30 yards on six targets. The target count is particularly encouraging in the Bears' first game without Tarik Cohen, who suffered a torn ACL last week. Those six looks were third on the team. Montgomery didn't get anything going on the ground against an elite defensive front. But better days should be ahead for Montgomery in easier matchups. Week 5 isn't one with the Bucs coming to Chicago.

Oct 4, 2020, 7:54 PM ET

8 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

O-line is aggressively mediocre. He was dodging tacklers in the backfield all day.  

I don’t disagree with this, but it’s pretty evident at this stage that he pretty well only gets what’s blocked for him.  His cuts and movements in traffic just seem...

......so.......

.................slow.