Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB David Montgomery, Bears


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I could see him being an RB2 down the stretch. I think he'd be better(frankly the Bears as a team likely would be) if Trubisky is starting. Montgomery is one of the few RBs in the NFL who is a 3-down RB. 

I doubt he'd cost much. I've seen him cut in some leagues. Maybe the bye week allows the offense to fix some things and get healthier. 

Yeah was thinking of offering my M. Brown (WR) and some RB depth for him. Owner may be on the verge of dropping anyway. Like offering a 7th round draft pick before a real NFL team dumps a player to waivers and getting nothing back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While week 1 overreactions are standard, I also think that people who are outraged about Montgomery's share are not appreciating the following: Cohen will always drain some looks as he is a prov

Reality is: - The article you posted is from August 1, before any preseason games. - Davis was paid minimal money to come to Chicago.  - The Bears had no other meaningful RB besides Coh

potential top rb in rookie drafts. Hoping KC decides to start over at rb and take him

7 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Anybody buying low on this guy?

CHI has a bye week and that offense looks like it's hit rock bottom. However, if you're in good shape for the playoffs weeks 14-16 has CHI facing HOU, @MN, @JAX.

I'm looking for reinforcements for my two flex positions in a PPR league. Considering this guy is borderline droppable potentially I wouldn't be giving much.

Have you watched the CHI offense the past 3 games. Outside of Arob, you can't honestly start anyone on this *&^show.

Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Quote

David Montgomery has cleared the concussion protocol.

Montgomery missed Week 10 but is ready to return after Chicago's bye. Averaging 18 touches per game before going down, Montgomery will be a low-end RB3 play for Week 12 against the Packers.

Nov 25, 2020, 12:43 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Quote

David Montgomery rushed 11 times for 113 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 14 win over the Texans.

Montgomery also added 3-42-0 on four targets. There aren't many other running backs with a true goal-line plus passing downs role, and it's vaulted Montgomery into the RB1 mix. In cupcake matchups, Montgomery has produced like a top five option, and quite frankly, he's looked more athletic, too. He reached his fastest miles per hour (20.33) of his career on his 80-yard touchdown run per NextGenStats. With the Vikings and Jaguars up next, Montgomery can be confidently fired up as an RB1. He could be this year's league-winning fantasy back; imagine thinking that after Week 3.

- Rotoworld

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Houston turmOiler said:

Is this guy really a league-winner? He's played great the last couple of weeks. I've got a couple other good options this week so I've got to make a decision on whether to keep riding with him this week. Thoughts on his prospects vs. MIN?

I am riding him...only other option is to trust Miles Sanders can repeat what he did last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Houston turmOiler said:

Is this guy really a league-winner?

I don't know. It depends on if people start him or not.

2 hours ago, Houston turmOiler said:

He's played great the last couple of weeks.

He has had 3 straight good games since returning from injury. 

2 hours ago, Houston turmOiler said:

I've got a couple other good options this week so I've got to make a decision on whether to keep riding with him this week. Thoughts on his prospects vs. MIN?

The Vikings are an average run defense and below average without Eric Kendricks in the line up. They have struggled with Mitch running the ball at times too which helps Montgomery as well compared to Nick Foles or other statue QBs.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I don't know. It depends on if people start him or not.

He has had 3 straight good games since returning from injury. 

The Vikings are an average run defense and below average without Eric Kendricks in the line up. They have struggled with Mitch running the ball at times too which helps Montgomery as well compared to Nick Foles or other statue QBs.

Thanks. The bit about Kendricks is good info. Hard to believe Montgomery is the same guy who was plodding along 2 months ago. The last 3 opponents were all really bad against RBs. Trying to decide how to weigh the info vs the eye test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Houston turmOiler said:

Thanks. The bit about Kendricks is good info. Hard to believe Montgomery is the same guy who was plodding along 2 months ago. The last 3 opponents were all really bad against RBs. Trying to decide how to weigh the info vs the eye test.

I have only seen highlights but Montgomery has looked good in those. Showing some speed!

I don't know what your other options are but I think the match up is fine for Montgomery.

How he is being used in the passing game now makes him a pretty good option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I have only seen highlights but Montgomery has looked good in those. Showing some speed!

I don't know what your other options are but I think the match up is fine for Montgomery.

How he is being used in the passing game now makes him a pretty good option.

He's had a decent floor most of the season with Cohen out. I think  the Trubisky run threat certainly helps on the zone read also..

A month ago RB2 wasn't looking so hot for me between his concussion, Carson's foot, and Dobbins' RBBC mess. Now they all seem to be on the rise. Will Fuller's suspension also opened a flex spot for me, but I've still got to sit one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Over the last 3 weeks Montgomery has been second to only Derrick Henry in fantasy points scored in standard or PPR formats.

Great run for him for sure. Monty and J Rob are 2 guys who have definitely taken advantage over circumstance. Both thrust into 3 down roles out necessity rather than design. I’ll likely be avoiding both at next years price. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

David Montgomery rushed 32 times for 146 yards and two touchdowns in the Bears' Week 15 win over the Vikings.

Montgomery has never rushed 32 times or reached 146 rushing yards in his career. It was a career-best game for the second-year pro. His workload has him locked into RB1 rankings, and the Bears' recent schedule has turned Montgomery into a league winner. Montgomery looks more explosive after a concerning first 20 games of his career. With the Bears heading to Jacksonville next, Montgomery has top-five appeal, especially if Cordarrelle Patterson (knee) misses time.

Dec 20, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

David Montgomery has the fourth most total opportunities among running backs since Week 8. 

Montgomery was handling a massive workload well before his recent explosion -- he just wasn't doing anything with it. He has 35 percent of the team's total opportunity -- rushing attempts plus targets -- since mid-season, trailing only Dalvin Cook, Derrick Henry, and James Robinson. The second-year back has become a plug-and-play RB1 of late, exploding for 412 rushing yards over the past three weeks. J.D. McKissic is the only running back to have run more pass routes than Montgomery since Week 8. With the Chicago backfield locked down, Montgomery shapes up as a potential league winner in Week 16 against a Jacksonville defense that quit weeks ago. 

Dec 21, 2020, 11:20 AM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

David Montgomery rushed 23 times for 95 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 16 win over the Jaguars.

He added 26 yards on two catches in the passing game, totaling 100-plus yards with a touchdown for the fifth straight games since returning from his concussion. Montgomery has been a true league-winner throughout the fantasy playoffs, and the Bears now sit in the No. 7 seed for the playoffs at 8-7. Montgomery was garbage-timed by Artavis Pierce late in this one when Pierce ran one in from three yards out to put the Bears ahead 41-10 in the fourth quarter. Montgomery scored his touchdown from six yards away in the third quarter. Montgomery gets a Week 17 date with the Packers. He amassed 143 yards and a touchdown against Green Bay in Week 12.

- Rotoworld

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The needle is definitely pointing up. I’m trying to figure out if he’s a sell high or a hold in dynasty. His career certainly didn’t start well. However, I’m in the camp that it was as much do to with poor online play as lack of ability. Over the last half of this season, he’s looked the part. On the negative, Cohen will cut into his work load next year. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, barackdhouse said:

Respectfully disagree. He makes people miss. Trubisky was so bad last year. Nagy didn't know how to cover it up with his playcalling and they ended up doing a lot of predictable run plays with a crappy OL. They *seem* to be playing better and of course I am placing my hope in Foles hands that the offense will open up. I think Montgomery has put plenty of positive stuff on tape in his short career to date. 

I'll say this, I think we will have a much better idea of who he is real shortly. I'm not necessarily buying in dynasty but he is about to be a top 10 back in redraft. 

 

On 10/3/2020 at 6:02 AM, Truebluey said:

Again, I know nothing about him, but

A) Foles is not good. In a small sample he can appear excellent. The larger the sample, the worse he looks. 

B)  Top 10? Really? OK, let's see if from Week 4 to Week 17 he is one of the Top 10 backs in the NFL. Are we just counting rushing, or receiving also

This post of mine today is *not* about beating my chest or saying look at me I was right. And I'm not trying to say anyone was wrong. It was a perfectly reasonable counter-take. Monty really hadn't proven much of anything at that point. And I wasn't right anyway. Yes Montgomery was RB4 from weeks 4 thru 16 in PPR but my premise was that Foles was going to be the one to raise the Bears offense up. That didn't happen. Trubisky eventually came back in and has played much better. I think Montgomery has looked better than he ever has. Has he improved from the time these earlier debates occurred? I don't know. At this point I still don't know what to make of him, or the Bears. I like him, though, and I think I might be putting him in my buy at cost list. I wonder if most Montgomery owners are thinking that selling high (in their minds) is the perfect move right now since he finished the season strong. 

If we're just looking at rushing stats, he was RB4 just behind Robinson and just ahead of Kamara but well behind Cook and Henry. He had 7 rushing TDs in that time which also isn't bad. There shouldn't have ever been any doubt about his passing game involvement, though. He had 50 targets in that span and 39 catches. He has been involved as a receiver forever and losing Cohen helped that even more. I do wonder if that dynamic will continue next year or not. 

I'm trying to do something like Pittman for Monty or Gabriel Davis and Pittman for Monty and a draft pick. Any other buyers out there? Sellers?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barackdhouse said:

 

This post of mine today is *not* about beating my chest or saying look at me I was right. And I'm not trying to say anyone was wrong. It was a perfectly reasonable counter-take. Monty really hadn't proven much of anything at that point. And I wasn't right anyway. Yes Montgomery was RB4 from weeks 4 thru 16 in PPR but my premise was that Foles was going to be the one to raise the Bears offense up. That didn't happen. Trubisky eventually came back in and has played much better. I think Montgomery has looked better than he ever has. Has he improved from the time these earlier debates occurred? I don't know. At this point I still don't know what to make of him, or the Bears. I like him, though, and I think I might be putting him in my buy at cost list. I wonder if most Montgomery owners are thinking that selling high (in their minds) is the perfect move right now since he finished the season strong. 

If we're just looking at rushing stats, he was RB4 just behind Robinson and just ahead of Kamara but well behind Cook and Henry. He had 7 rushing TDs in that time which also isn't bad. There shouldn't have ever been any doubt about his passing game involvement, though. He had 50 targets in that span and 39 catches. He has been involved as a receiver forever and losing Cohen helped that even more. I do wonder if that dynamic will continue next year or not. 

I'm trying to do something like Pittman for Monty or Gabriel Davis and Pittman for Monty and a draft pick. Any other buyers out there? Sellers?

 

There is no way I’d trade Monty straight up for Pittman. I think Monty will stay in the RB2 discussion even with Cohen back. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barackdhouse said:

 

This post of mine today is *not* about beating my chest or saying look at me I was right. And I'm not trying to say anyone was wrong. It was a perfectly reasonable counter-take. Monty really hadn't proven much of anything at that point. And I wasn't right anyway. Yes Montgomery was RB4 from weeks 4 thru 16 in PPR but my premise was that Foles was going to be the one to raise the Bears offense up. That didn't happen. Trubisky eventually came back in and has played much better. I think Montgomery has looked better than he ever has. Has he improved from the time these earlier debates occurred? I don't know. At this point I still don't know what to make of him, or the Bears. I like him, though, and I think I might be putting him in my buy at cost list. I wonder if most Montgomery owners are thinking that selling high (in their minds) is the perfect move right now since he finished the season strong. 

If we're just looking at rushing stats, he was RB4 just behind Robinson and just ahead of Kamara but well behind Cook and Henry. He had 7 rushing TDs in that time which also isn't bad. There shouldn't have ever been any doubt about his passing game involvement, though. He had 50 targets in that span and 39 catches. He has been involved as a receiver forever and losing Cohen helped that even more. I do wonder if that dynamic will continue next year or not. 

I'm trying to do something like Pittman for Monty or Gabriel Davis and Pittman for Monty and a draft pick. Any other buyers out there? Sellers?

 

I'm a Montgomery owner.  I wouldn't consider Pittman/Gabriel Davis, certainly not Montgomery AND a pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blick said:

There is no way I’d trade Monty straight up for Pittman. I think Monty will stay in the RB2 discussion even with Cohen back. 

 

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

I'm a Montgomery owner.  I wouldn't consider Pittman/Gabriel Davis, certainly not Montgomery AND a pick. 

Yeah ok so I guess I like Pittman more than consensus. It also serves as a reminder of how hard it is to move WRs right now. This one in particular is SF, so let me ask if Taysom Hill is something that would change this. So, Taysom vs Monty who you got?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

 

Yeah ok so I guess I like Pittman more than consensus. It also serves as a reminder of how hard it is to move WRs right now. This one in particular is SF, so let me ask if Taysom Hill is something that would change this. So, Taysom vs Monty who you got?

That’s a negative unless you think Hill will be the starter in NO once Brees retires. I do not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blick said:

That’s a negative unless you think Hill will be the starter in NO once Brees retires. I do not. 

I didn't either until they rolled him out there instead of Winston. A homer made a convincing argument awhile back regarding their salaries (Winston and Hill). It kind of seems they want Hill to be the guy. Not sure I can find a buyer who thinks so. 

*Looks up Brees owner status*

Edited by barackdhouse
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

 

This post of mine today is *not* about beating my chest or saying look at me I was right. And I'm not trying to say anyone was wrong. It was a perfectly reasonable counter-take. Monty really hadn't proven much of anything at that point. And I wasn't right anyway. Yes Montgomery was RB4 from weeks 4 thru 16 in PPR but my premise was that Foles was going to be the one to raise the Bears offense up. That didn't happen. Trubisky eventually came back in and has played much better. I think Montgomery has looked better than he ever has. Has he improved from the time these earlier debates occurred? I don't know. At this point I still don't know what to make of him, or the Bears. I like him, though, and I think I might be putting him in my buy at cost list. I wonder if most Montgomery owners are thinking that selling high (in their minds) is the perfect move right now since he finished the season strong. 

If we're just looking at rushing stats, he was RB4 just behind Robinson and just ahead of Kamara but well behind Cook and Henry. He had 7 rushing TDs in that time which also isn't bad. There shouldn't have ever been any doubt about his passing game involvement, though. He had 50 targets in that span and 39 catches. He has been involved as a receiver forever and losing Cohen helped that even more. I do wonder if that dynamic will continue next year or not. 

I'm trying to do something like Pittman for Monty or Gabriel Davis and Pittman for Monty and a draft pick. Any other buyers out there? Sellers?

 

I'm glad you resurrected it. Good call. In redraft I was so wrong on Monty all year it's not funny. In Week 3 I traded away Kareem Hunt to get Golladay, and I got Monty as a throw in. I never started him, so on his bye week I traded him and Fuller for Michael Thomas. Then of course he had 4 straight weeks of between 20-30 ppr points. Ooof.

 

I never watch Bears games, so my question is - did he look better over that span? Did something change in his running? Or did the Bears O-line just finally get it together?

Looks like he'll be a round 3 RB next year in redraft and I don't know whether he'll be a buy high or low at that spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

I never watch Bears games, so my question is - did he look better over that span? Did something change in his running? Or did the Bears O-line just finally get it together?

Looks like he'll be a round 3 RB next year in redraft and I don't know whether he'll be a buy high or low at that spot.

If you are a subscriber, I would highly recommend watching Waldman's video in his Gut Check.  He does a great breakdown of Montgomery's improvement in his vision, footwork, and decision making.  The Bears OL improved but they are still a below average unit.  I also think Trubisky helped out a lot since Trubisky can keep it once in a while on the read option.  But let's not kid ourselves, Montgomery's success was a lot to do with the cake schedule from Week 12 on.

That said, Montgomery still isn't an elite talent.  But I think he's a solid RB2 next year with top 10 upside, and Round 3 is probably the right draft spot for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Truebluey said:

I'm glad you resurrected it. Good call. In redraft I was so wrong on Monty all year it's not funny. In Week 3 I traded away Kareem Hunt to get Golladay, and I got Monty as a throw in. I never started him, so on his bye week I traded him and Fuller for Michael Thomas. Then of course he had 4 straight weeks of between 20-30 ppr points. Ooof.

 

I never watch Bears games, so my question is - did he look better over that span? Did something change in his running? Or did the Bears O-line just finally get it together?

Looks like he'll be a round 3 RB next year in redraft and I don't know whether he'll be a buy high or low at that spot.

Oh I would do that trade so hard. High ankle sprains are no joke. MT will bounce back. 

3 hours ago, fightingillini said:

If you are a subscriber, I would highly recommend watching Waldman's video in his Gut Check.  He does a great breakdown of Montgomery's improvement in his vision, footwork, and decision making.  The Bears OL improved but they are still a below average unit.  I also think Trubisky helped out a lot since Trubisky can keep it once in a while on the read option.  But let's not kid ourselves, Montgomery's success was a lot to do with the cake schedule from Week 12 on.

That said, Montgomery still isn't an elite talent.  But I think he's a solid RB2 next year with top 10 upside, and Round 3 is probably the right draft spot for him. 

Yep. I think he has absolutely looked better and I kind of liked his game before. And there is no question that Trubisky has looked better, too. And the cake schedule and all of it. And I agree he isn't elite. He is getting elite volume, though, and has the physical tools to maintain that. I think there is room for this offense to grow next year. As a Bears homer I would want them to focus on other areas in the draft anyway. I'm actually a huge Cohen non-fan so I would like to see them get some better depth but they're not losing any games because of Monty. I'm not in love with the rookie RB crop so a target like Monty might be more in my range with my WR depth and lack of high draft picks on squads where I want to make a play for a RB. I only have a couple of them. 

Looking forward to the GB game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

David Montgomery ran the second most pass routes among running backs in the 2020 regular season. 

It marks a dramatic shift in Montgomery's pass game usage, and it likely wouldn't have happened without Tarik Cohen's season-ending knee injury in Week 3. Montgomery, who was 23rd in running back pass routes in 2019, was only behind J.D. McKissic in running back routes this season. Cohen ran the eighth most running back pass routes in 2019. The pass game role made Montgomery a RB1 for much of the season's second half. Cohen is signed with the Bears through the 2023 season, so Montgomery could lose his heavy passing down usage next season. 

RELATED: 

Tarik Cohen

Jan 5, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Quote

David Montgomery rushed 12 times for 31 yards in the Bears' Wild Card loss to the Saints.

He failed to catch his lone target in the pass game in a quiet finish to what was a brilliant second half of the season for Montgomery. Missing just one game with a concussion, Montgomery posted a 247-1,070-8 rushing line during the regular season, setting career highs across the board and also 54-438-2 in the passing game thanks to an expanded role following Tarik Cohen's early-year ACL tear. Montgomery did almost all of his damage from Week 12 forward when he returned from his concussion. Weeks 12-17, Montgomery was the overall RB3 in fantasy behind only Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylor. He scored eight touchdowns in that span. Montgomery truly looked like a different player, but we're skeptical of his 2021 setup with Cohen due back to steal his pass-game role back. Montgomery should be treated as an RB2 for summer drafts but is a candidate to be overdrafted.

Jan 10, 2021, 8:35 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

David Montgomery just tweeted "playing in chicago has been fun and I met some great people along the way!!"

He followed it up with this....

 

David Montgomery

@MontgomerDavid

·

1m

Y’all took that completely wrong! It was not intended in the purpose of football! HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BALL! I love Chicago and I’m ready to be here for a long time and win a lot of games

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boone22 said:

He followed it up with this....

 

David Montgomery

@MontgomerDavid

·

1m

Y’all took that completely wrong! It was not intended in the purpose of football! HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BALL! I love Chicago and I’m ready to be here for a long time and win a lot of games

I was just coming back to post this update. Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

David Montgomery just tweeted "playing in chicago has been fun and I met some great people along the way!!"

Wonder if he felt that way last year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JamboTaylor said:

So was his late season surge a sign of things to come? 

With the return of Cohen and the QB mess I dont think I can trust him as more than a #3RB next yr.  He'll probably get drafted as a #2RB which is too high for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, JamboTaylor said:

So was his late season surge a sign of things to come? 

We don't know yet.

Tarik Cohen returning to health is likely going to take premium opportunities away from Montgomery and without the bulk of those I think DM numbers dip in a significant way.

I don't trust Nagy to not mess things up.

We know that Montgomery is capable of being a 3 down RB now which was something we were not sure about going into last season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...