What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (1 Viewer)

Cohen will always be a big piece of that passing attack and specifically on 3rd downs, two minute drills, trailing late in games, etc.  From that perspective I would’ve preferred he end up somewhere like Houston.  I definitely think his upside is capped as a true three down guy in Chicago.  

You got a link for the correlation?

Context is always important when dealing with stats as a predictive tool. For instance, when dealing with a 1 year starter.
Sorry, it’s not just one link but from a few different place that I compiled together. Some of it is premium but I will PM you some food for thought when I can go back through everything. He and Miles landed in great spots! Man, this is a good draft!

Who said 2019 was not a good class? 

Love it!

Tex

Sanders and Montgomery are both going to be sharing the backfield. Great picks for their teams but bad for fantasy.
things change fast, while Cohen will have  a role no doubt, he strikes me more as a lightning COP 3rd down guy.

In Philly, Howard is a 1 season rental, and a 2nd round pick is good capital to be used on a player, Doug P runs RBBC though, but next year I think the philly backfield will be mostly Miles to have.

Sorry, it’s not just one link but from a few different place that I compiled together. Some of it is premium but I will PM you some food for thought when I can go back through everything. He and Miles landed in great spots! Man, this is a good draft!

Who said 2019 was not a good class? 

Love it!

Tex
for top 3-5 picks it's awful.  that's basically proven by where these guys were drafted.  Most classed you get WR's picked in the top 15 or RB's drafted in the top 50 picks.

it's a solid class for mid/late 1st round rookie picks though.  i'd be very happy with a rookie pick in the 6-12 range.  i'd be livid with a pick in the 2-5 range.

Sanders and Montgomery are both going to be sharing the backfield. Great picks for their teams but bad for fantasy.
Tampa Bay, Buffalo or Oakland would have been better, but I'm happy with it. It's better than the Los Angeles Rams lol. Montgomery and Sanders have clear paths to parts of productive committees; Sanders has a chance for more in another year when Howard's contract expires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears coach Matt Nagy said he "sees" the Kareem Hunt comparisons for third-round RB David Montgomery.

Nagy noted the fact Montgomery "makes defenders miss inside the tackle box" before going on to talk up his hands. He said he "definitely" understands the Hunt comparison. Nagy coached Hunt with the Chiefs. The Bears, who were starved for draft ammo to begin with, surrendered two picks and a 2020 fourth-rounder to move up 14 spots for Montgomery. It is safe to assume they are hoping Montgomery earns a big rookie role.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 5:44 PM

ILUVBEER99 said:
for top 3-5 picks it's awful.  that's basically proven by where these guys were drafted.  Most classed you get WR's picked in the top 15 or RB's drafted in the top 50 picks.

it's a solid class for mid/late 1st round rookie picks though.  i'd be very happy with a rookie pick in the 6-12 range.  i'd be livid with a pick in the 2-5 range.
We’re going to disagree. I have picks 1-3 and I’m on cloud 9ine!!!! I’ve contemplated trading for that 4th spot. Things will clear up even more during training camp but this is a great draft class.

Tex

Love the frame and footwork, but there's no burst. Reminds me ominously of David Cobb, albeit with a much higher draft position.

I could go either way. He runs on a swivel and has natural RB shiftiness, but in the NFL the lack of burst can be a killer. Like Cobb a few years ago, he has a slow 40 time and a very low % of long runs in college, where everyone is slower. These things give me some pause, though I like some of what he does.

Chicago Bears – RB David Montgomery, Iowa State

After trading Jordan Howard in the offseason, the Bears had a hole to fill at running back and they do so here with literally the most elusive runner in college football in 2018. Montgomery can also add value in the passing game, a necessity in Nagy’s scheme.

1st in overall grade among running backs

1st in rush grade among running backs

1st total missed tackles forced among running backs. 

Tex

I wouldn't say it is bad for fantasy at all. There are only 9-10 true three down backs and those guys are going in rounds 1/2 in fantasy drafts. If Montgomery is who the Bears think he is, all those touches are going to him and Cohen, and Montgomery is definitely going to steal some of those targets. IMO Davis won't be too heavily involved.

I wouldn't say it is bad for fantasy at all. There are only 9-10 true three down backs and those guys are going in rounds 1/2 in fantasy drafts. If Montgomery is who the Bears think he is, all those touches are going to him and Cohen, and Montgomery is definitely going to steal some of those targets. IMO Davis won't be too heavily involved.
But there were landing spots where three down workloads were available.  Oakland (Jacobs), Tampa, and possibly Buffalo and Houston.

I am a Bears fan and it clouds my vision with their guys for fantasy sometimes. The truth is I don't know what Nagy thinks about Cohen. He may be the one left out to dry here. I thought 4 touches for Cohen in the playoff loss was an unforgiveable bush league sin of stupidity that makes me question Nagy forever. Maybe he simply doesn't like Cohen. I was thinking something like a 50/30/20 split between Monty/Cohen/Davis. Which is good but not great. But if he doesn't like Cohen then maybe you are right maybe Monty will be a bellcow. I also could see Davis being the guy week 1 as Monty eventually takes over. My first gut reaction is that it's bad for fantasy. I know if he is there at 1.04 it will be hard to pass.

ETA I should probably say not great for fantasy instead of *bad*. If I'm right about it being a shared backfield. If he is a bellcow then it's a clear homerun landing spot. 

I am a Bears fan and it clouds my vision with their guys for fantasy sometimes. The truth is I don't know what Nagy thinks about Cohen. He may be the one left out to dry here. I thought 4 touches for Cohen in the playoff loss was an unforgiveable bush league sin of stupidity that makes me question Nagy forever. Maybe he simply doesn't like Cohen. I was thinking something like a 50/30/20 split between Monty/Cohen/Davis. Which is good but not great. But if he doesn't like Cohen then maybe you are right maybe Monty will be a bellcow. I also could see Davis being the guy week 1 as Monty eventually takes over. My first gut reaction is that it's bad for fantasy. I know if he is there at 1.04 it will be hard to pass.

ETA I should probably say not great for fantasy instead of *bad*. If I'm right about it being a shared backfield. If he is a bellcow then it's a clear homerun landing spot. 
While Davis is an ok back I don’t think it will be much of a timeshare. Cohen will get his work, and Monty seems like the guy they wanted since they had no picks and then traded them all to move up and get him. People were speculating Monty to KC pre draft and what a wonderful landing spot that would be....so he lands with Nagy instead, also a good landing spot imo. 

And as a a lions fan, I really hope none of it works out for you. 

I hate the pick and hate having to play against him at least twice a year.  Good job, bearsies.  Monty will join a long line of great blue and orange RBs.  

The only problem with him that I see, is that he makes Chicago's backfield a 3-pronged attack. He's not going to be the goalline back or the short yardage back. That's all Mike Davis. He's also not going to be the 3rd down back, that's all Tarik Cohen. He's probably not going to see many designed pass plays, that's Tarik Cohen.

So that leaves 1st and 2nd down to this guy. I guess it's an audition to a larger role down the road. It's just a negative to me that two other guys have a death grip over:

1.) Redzone touches.
2.) Catches

Now I'm looking at a guy who might get 13 carries for 65 yards, 1 catch for 17 yards. Meanwhile, Mike Davis outscores him on 8 / 30 yards / 1 touchdown for half the cost.

The only problem with him that I see, is that he makes Chicago's backfield a 3-pronged attack. He's not going to be the goalline back or the short yardage back. That's all Mike Davis. He's also not going to be the 3rd down back, that's all Tarik Cohen. He's probably not going to see many designed pass plays, that's Tarik Cohen.

So that leaves 1st and 2nd down to this guy. I guess it's an audition to a larger role down the road. It's just a negative to me that two other guys have a death grip over:

1.) Redzone touches.
2.) Catches

Now I'm looking at a guy who might get 13 carries for 65 yards, 1 catch for 17 yards. Meanwhile, Mike Davis outscores him on 8 / 30 yards / 1 touchdown for half the cost.
you're over thinking it

cool story. It's my opinion you're dead wrong about Montgomery. And that's okay that we disagree 
That's totally fine. I'm from Chicago and watched every Bears game last year for what it's worth. Of course, if you've already drafted this guy I'm probably not going to change your mind. I just see a very crowded backfield. Mike Davis averaged 4.6 YPC and caught 34 receptions for 214 yards last season. Tarik Cohen averaged 4.5 YPC and caught 71 passes for 725 yards last season.

David Montgomery is a decent player but I don't see a clear role for him starting out. I don't see what he offers that the current runningbacks don't already offer aside from depth. To have consistent fantasy value, he will need to relegate Mike Davis to the bench completely, imo. However, if either Cohen or Davis were to get a boo- boo-, he would see a ton of carries (or catches if it's Cohen who gets hurt) in a hurry.

He can easily slot into each of those guys' roles, which gives him tons of value as depth to the Bears.

NFL DRAFT: BEST, WORST FANTASY LANDING SPOTS

Excerpt:

David Montgomery, RB — Chicago Bears (No. 73 overall)

2018 stats at Iowa State: 257 carries, 1,216 rushing yards, 13 rushing touchdowns

Josh Jacobs, a first-round pick by the Raiders out of Alabama, will likely be considered the top rookie RB in 2019. I think it’s a close call, but I like the spot for Montgomery more. Mitchell Trubisky is still growing at the QB position, which keeps Chicago as a defensive team that prefers to run the ball. 

Tarik Cohen is a spectacular talent, but his size keeps him in primarily a third-down/pass-catching role. With Jordan Howard on the Eagles, this feature RB1 role could easily belong to Montgomery. Howard posted a 250-935-9 line in 2018, which made him fantasy relevant, but the 3.7 yards per carry weren’t effective. Some fresh legs in the backfield could make all the difference, just look at what Montgomery was able to do last season in college with nearly an identical number of carries.

you're over thinking it
I don't think his take is far fetched at all. I've been going back and forth on this and I appreciate that they moved up to draft him after shipping Howard. And I don't know that they like Cohen all that much. I am a big Davis fan, though. I would prefer to see how camp shakes out, but my rookie drafts are in a couple weeks. 

I don't think his take is far fetched at all. I've been going back and forth on this and I appreciate that they moved up to draft him after shipping Howard. And I don't know that they like Cohen all that much. I am a big Davis fan, though. I would prefer to see how camp shakes out, but my rookie drafts are in a couple weeks. 
I think Davis has a role but it's not much in my eyes. Nagy has wanted his guy since he got there and I think he has it in Montgomery. 

I wont be in a position to draft him I dont think, but who ever gets him is getting probably the early rb1 from this class

I think Davis has a role but it's not much in my eyes. Nagy has wanted his guy since he got there and I think he has it in Montgomery. 

I wont be in a position to draft him I dont think, but who ever gets him is getting probably the early rb1 from this class
Agreed... The fact that Bears traded up to select Montgomery as their first draft pick explains it.  Nagy wants a RB with similar calibers in Kareem Hunt and he did it by repeating Chiefs' draft move two years ago on trading up to select Hunt.  

The only problem with him that I see, is that he makes Chicago's backfield a 3-pronged attack. He's not going to be the goalline back or the short yardage back. That's all Mike Davis.
What makes you think Davis gets GL and short yardage work over Montgomery. Davis is 5’9” 217 and Montgomery is 5’10” 222.

I think that role is pretty much up for grabs.

If you’ve weaseled an extra 1st rounder in dynasty, nothing wrong with Monty as a dice roll.  It was clear Nagy didn’t trust Howard unless the game situation dictated a smashmouth approach.

If you’re drafting near the top in dynasty because your team and/or RBs are trash, you’ll probably not want to risk it and try to buy low if Monty starts out slowly.

Once the preseason starts, we should get a much better idea of how Monty’s role will shape up, based on how little he plays in first halves.  Can’t even think about redraft value until then.

If you’ve weaseled an extra 1st rounder in dynasty, nothing wrong with Monty as a dice roll.  It was clear Nagy didn’t trust Howard unless the game situation dictated a smashmouth approach.

If you’re drafting near the top in dynasty because your team and/or RBs are trash, you’ll probably not want to risk it and try to buy low if Monty starts out slowly.

Once the preseason starts, we should get a much better idea of how Monty’s role will shape up, based on how little he plays in first halves.  Can’t even think about redraft value until then.
My rookie draft is in two weeks.

Love Montgomery.  I was hoping to trade into him after picking Hockenstein at 1.04 but he got picked at 1.08.

There are so many knocks on this guy getting caught from behind.  I agree - the odds of him busting off a 60 yd TD are not very good.  But watching this guy run is just fun.  He’s got great vision and footwork, and understands how to wait for a seam and then getting into it quickly.  But the real fun begins when he gets to the second level.  His shiftiness and balance is astounding.  In today’s NFL where tackling is so poor, he’s a risk to have a couple of highlight reel runs every game.  So while he may not have that 60 yd sprint down the sideline, he’s also more capable than any back in the draft of turning a 2 yd run into an 8-12 yd pinball event.  And he doesn’t put the ball on the ground while running like this.

He’s an OC’s and QB’s best friend,  He’ll keep the team in positive to great down and distance situations and keep the chains moving while the O grinds over the D.  Then add his receiving chops and that he’s very willing and capable in pass protection and you’ve got an almost complete RB - just missing that extra gear downfield.

What his detractors seem to miss on Montgomery is how bad his O-line was at Iowa St, which was putrid.  The advantage there?  Montgomery is pro-ready right from the jump.  He’s played his whole college career with small windows that closed quickly, just like what will happen in the NFL, and he’s been very successful in those circumstances.  The quickness of the NFL game is not going to surprise or phase him.  He isn’t a ‘Bama or WIS RB who got to run through gaping holes, he had to create for himself and find his spots. And given how well he stays on his feet and churns through narrow openings that open quickly, he ought to be money near the goal line.

Montgomery was one of 3 guys in this draft that I had tagged as a sure success in the NFL, and he goes to an ideal situation in CHI where his only real competition is a CoP RB.  Let this guy drop at your peril.

NFL DRAFT: BEST, WORST FANTASY LANDING SPOTS

Excerpt:

David Montgomery, RB — Chicago Bears (No. 73 overall)

2018 stats at Iowa State: 257 carries, 1,216 rushing yards, 13 rushing touchdowns

Josh Jacobs, a first-round pick by the Raiders out of Alabama, will likely be considered the top rookie RB in 2019. I think it’s a close call, but I like the spot for Montgomery more. Mitchell Trubisky is still growing at the QB position, which keeps Chicago as a defensive team that prefers to run the ball. 

Tarik Cohen is a spectacular talent, but his size keeps him in primarily a third-down/pass-catching role. With Jordan Howard on the Eagles, this feature RB1 role could easily belong to Montgomery. Howard posted a 250-935-9 line in 2018, which made him fantasy relevant, but the 3.7 yards per carry weren’t effective. Some fresh legs in the backfield could make all the difference, just look at what Montgomery was able to do last season in college with nearly an identical number of carries.
LOL love this hot take.

"Jordan Howard got a lot of carries, but his YPC sucked!  Look at what Montgomery did with that may carries in college football (Hint: His YPC was 2nd worst in the Big 12 amongst backs with at least 100 carries.  160th best YPC in FBS)."

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/50256/david-montgomery

DAVID MONTGOMERY RB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears coach Matt Nagy said it is "nice" to have a three-down back.

"When you have guys that can play all three downs, it’s nice for the play-caller, and it’s nice for the offense," Nagy said. The Bears made do with Jordan Howard last season, but he clearly was not a great fit for what Nagy wants in a lead running back. Third-round pick David Montgomery, on the other hand, is solid out of the backfield and will make Chicago's offense less predictable. Even with Tarik Cohen and Mike Davis on the depth chart, Montgomery should immediately slot in as the lead running back.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Apr 30, 2019, 9:28 AM ET

DAVID MONTGOMERY RB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears coach Matt Nagy said he "sees" the Kareem Hunt comparisons for third-round RB David Montgomery.

Nagy noted the fact Montgomery "makes defenders miss inside the tackle box" before going on to talk up his hands. He said he "definitely" understands the Hunt comparison. Nagy coached Hunt with the Chiefs. The Bears, who were starved for draft ammo to begin with, surrendered two picks and a 2020 fourth-rounder to move up 14 spots for Montgomery. It is safe to assume they are hoping Montgomery earns a big rookie role.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 7:44 PM ET

With 1.02, and badly needing a RB, I'm also torn between Sanders and Montgomery. The irony is that I need to look more at Jordan Howard than either of these two. Why did the Bears use him as they did last year and cut him loose and what have the Eagles signed him for.

With 1.02, and badly needing a RB, I'm also torn between Sanders and Montgomery. The irony is that I need to look more at Jordan Howard than either of these two. Why did the Bears use him as they did last year and cut him loose and what have the Eagles signed him for.
He doesn't catch passes and isn't much more than a JAG as a runner. Bears fan here. Don't get me wrong he is good just not anything special. I was pretty surprised the Eagles signed him to be honest.

I think a lot of us are torn on who would be the better back between the 2. I like what both coaches are saying about each player, but then again rarely will a 1st or 2nd day pick have their coach come out and say "this guys sucks"  ;)

• Laughing
Reactions: -X-
How do his athletic testing numbers compare to Hunt's?
They have similar physical and athletic profiles.

Kareem Hunt

5' 10" 216 lbs 4.62 forty 18 bench 36.5 vertical 119 broad 

David Montgomery

5' 10" 222 lbs 4.63 forty 15 bench 28.5 vertical 121 broad

Neither player did the 3 cone or other drills at the combine but both supposedly improved their 40 times at their pro days to 4.5 seconds

Lance Zeirlien actually has a higher grade for Montgomery 5.85 than Hunt who had 5.5

Nither of them tested as above average athletes at their position although Hunts vertical jump is above average.

Their college stats are fairly similar as well although Hunt played his senior season as he missed some games the previous two years.  Montgomery came out after 3 years in college.

Hunt had higher ypc while Montgomery had better ypr and more receptions per game than Hunt did.

He doesn't catch passes and isn't much more than a JAG as a runner. Bears fan here. Don't get me wrong he is good just not anything special. I was pretty surprised the Eagles signed him to be honest.
I disagree with that assertion that Montgomery is a JaG runner. 

Users who are viewing this thread