What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (2 Viewers)

Cohen is in Tyreek Hills "role".  Montgomery is in the "Jamaal Charles" role.  No reason both can't see the ball.  I don't think I am disagreeing with much except that I think Montgomery is still a rookie and every RB in the NFL needs to be spelled.  Or else they break down fast. Just my opinion.  
Oh of course. And on a team like the Bears, they should be in close games all season. Which should mean a ton of touches to the backfield. 

IMO Davis spells Montgomery. 

Cohen’s role isn’t tremendously different, except he’ll stand to lose some catches & carries to Montgomery. 

And that’s consistent with what the Bears have said that they want to do. They said fewer touches for Cohen &.everyone moaned & rolled their eyes. 

But like you said - players need a breather. They overworked Cohen last year. They want their home run hitter / gadget guy to be fresher for the playoffs. 

We’re definitely on the same page here. 

Now let’s see if the Bears are. 

Dammit, why is it Wednesday and not Thursday?! 

Cohen is not "gadget guy."  Anyone who thinking that didn't watch the Bears or pay attention to how he was used last year. 
I see Hot Sauce Guy already answered this. By necessity they were forced to use Cohen as more of an every down/every other series back. Howard was the proverbial square peg in a round hole for their offense. That is why Cohen's role will be reduced drastically since I don't think he can be an effective every down back and the Bears brass obviously agree with that assessment. I should probably not refer to him as a gadget player but a change of pace back who can create mismatches. He is still a big part of their offense but D Mont will be the lead back.

I see Hot Sauce Guy already answered this. By necessity they were forced to use Cohen as more of an every down/every other series back. Howard was the proverbial square peg in a round hole for their offense. That is why Cohen's role will be reduced drastically since I don't think he can be an effective every down back and the Bears brass obviously agree with that assessment. I should probably not refer to him as a gadget player but a change of pace back who can create mismatches. He is still a big part of their offense but D Mont will be the lead back.
Tyreek Hill is a WR that can play RB.  Cohen is a RB that can play WR.  The important part is that they can stretch the field.  It opens up things for other players. 

Both can play at the same time.  They don't have to operate in the same space.  IMO you should see more two back sets during the year, with one or the other RB splitting out wide or Montgomery blocking inside sometimes.  I think the Bears are going to try to be creative and unpredictable.  Most of that is going to come early in the year.  And then, in reality, everything comes down to matchups and game situations as far as who gets the ball.

So, one last time.  I think Cohen scores more fantasy points than last year.  I think Montgomery will score more fantasy points than Howard did last year.  Overall, I think the Bears offense plays better statistically, in their division in particular.   Both WRs are much healthier and are entering the second year in the offense.  Robinson in particular has had a great off season. The TEs are coming in healthier.  And, of course, the line is intact. The whole team is stacked right now. 

If we are asking who will get the most fantasy points in the Bears backfield over the year (barring injury), I would guess Montgomery (but close).  He should score TDs inside the redzone and catch some balls.

But I don't see that as meaning that Cohen won't be equally or more effective than last year.  I expect to see Cohen utilized often early in the season.  I expect Montgomery to be used more in the second part.  It is a long season.  And Cohen is currently named the starter.   

So that is where I see the real value in Montgomery for fantasy  - the second half of the season.  He is built for bad weather.  Personally, I don't see the Bears rushing him in.  Too much to put on tape to spread the field.  I think when the weather turns is when you will see the team lean on Montgomery.  Like they tried to do with Howard last year.  IMO That is when Montgomery will earn/be named the starter.  But early in the season I expect the Bears to throw the ball all around the yard.  To put that on tape before the weather turns. And that probably means more Cohen.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyreek Hill is a WR that can play RB.  Cohen is a RB that can play WR.  The important part is that they can stretch the field.  It opens up things for other players. 

Both can play at the same time.  They don't have to operate in the same space.  IMO you should see more two back sets during the year, with one or the other RB splitting out wide or Montgomery blocking inside sometimes.  I think the Bears are going to try to be creative and unpredictable.  Most of that is going to come early in the year.  And then, in reality, everything comes down to matchups and game situations as far as who gets the ball.

So, one last time.  I think Cohen scores more fantasy points than last year.  I think Montgomery will score more fantasy points than Howard did last year.  Overall, I think the Bears offense plays better statistically, in their division in particular.   Both WRs are much healthier and are entering the second year in the offense.  Robinson in particular has had a great off season. The TEs are coming in healthier.  And, of course, the line is intact. The whole team is stacked right now. 

If we are asking who will get the most fantasy points in the Bears backfield over the year (barring injury), I would guess Montgomery (but close).  He should score TDs inside the redzone and catch some balls.

But I don't see that as meaning that Cohen won't be equally or more effective than last year.  I expect to see Cohen utilized often early in the season.  I expect Montgomery to be used more in the second part.  It is a long season.  And Cohen is currently named the starter.   

So that is where I see the real value in Montgomery for fantasy  - the second half of the season.  He is built for bad weather.  Personally, I don't see the Bears rushing him in.  Too much to put on tape to spread the field.  I think when the weather turns is when you will see the team lean on Montgomery.  Like they tried to do with Howard last year.  IMO That is when Montgomery will earn/be named the starter.  But early in the season I expect the Bears to throw the ball all around the yard.  To put that on tape before the weather turns. And that probably means more Cohen.     
I agree with 90% of what you said but think Montgomery will score a lot more overall fantasy points barring injury.  I don't see Cohen getting the majority of the carries at the beginning of the year because he isn't built to handle the load. If they limit Montgomery's touches in the beginning they will most likely go to Davis. The reason I don't think he will be too limited is due to all the reports from both players and coaches out of training camp about how well he has fit into the offense. They say he has looked amazing so there is no reason to hold him back too much. I agree with you that they will try to run the ball more in the cold weather but they do play some great offenses the last bunch of games so they could be in cold weather shoot outs. 

yoman said:
I agree with 90% of what you said but think Montgomery will score a lot more overall fantasy points barring injury.  I don't see Cohen getting the majority of the carries at the beginning of the year because he isn't built to handle the load. If they limit Montgomery's touches in the beginning they will most likely go to Davis. The reason I don't think he will be too limited is due to all the reports from both players and coaches out of training camp about how well he has fit into the offense. They say he has looked amazing so there is no reason to hold him back too much. I agree with you that they will try to run the ball more in the cold weather but they do play some great offenses the last bunch of games so they could be in cold weather shoot outs. 
That is exactly why I think they will try to save his legs for the playoffs.  Rookies tend to hit a "wall" around 12 games into the season.  There are (if the Bears are lucky) at least 19 games to win a championship and you have to win all the games at the end.  This roster is stacked.  I agree Cohen isn't built to handle the load over the course of a full season.  But for 3-6 games?  

Aside from the physical aspects, schematically, I think the Bears will want to put things on tape that they wont be trying to run later in the year. I.e. Cohen as the starter.   Patriots do that every year.  It's smart.  IMO. 

Cohen IS the named starter right now.  Just saying.

That is exactly why I think they will try to save his legs for the playoffs.  Rookies tend to hit a "wall" around 12 games into the season.  There are (if the Bears are lucky) at least 19 games to win a championship and you have to win all the games at the end.  This roster is stacked.  I agree Cohen isn't built to handle the load over the course of a full season.  But for 3-6 games?  

Aside from the physical aspects, schematically, I think the Bears will want to put things on tape that they wont be trying to run later in the year. I.e. Cohen as the starter.   Patriots do that every year.  It's smart.  IMO. 

Cohen IS the named starter right now.  Just saying.
I think this is correct, even if Montgomery owners don't want to hear it. I think he'll see the largest share of touches in the offense but Cohen and Davis are surely going to see time in the backfield. Cohen is their best offensive weapon, the thought that they will decrease his usage just doesn't make sense and that quote from Nagy keeps getting misrepresented. Davis is a solid all around back and will likely see a series or two per half replacing Montgomery - that's just smart from an NFL perspective.

I like Montgomery a lot and he was my second favorite back in this draft class and I do think he gets a good amount of volume and is a fantasy asset - but Cohen and Davis will get their share as well.

Went a pick in front of me in 2 leagues. Now I hope he busts. 
He went one pick ahead of me too, leaving me with Mark Ingram.

Now when the dust settles in December Ingram may well outscore Monty (and FWIW all the FBG experts project it this way), but Monty would sure be more exciting to own.

Ok geniuses: O/U for Montgomery tonight? 

I award each of you 100 internet points to gamble with*.

1. Total Touches: 16.5

2. Receptions: 3.5

3. RuTDs: .5

4. RuYd:  68.5

5. ReYd: 36.5

6. ReTDs: .5

7. FL: .5

Make your wagers & we’ll see who’s the best Monty prognosticator in a few hours. 

No parlays. Each category is a stand-alone bet. 

Disclaimer: 

*internet points have no real world value,  how they may be used to pay rent on your mother’s basement. 

Make your wagers & we’ll see who’s the best Monty prognosticator in a few hours. 

Disclaimer: 

*internet points have no real world value,  how they may be used to pay rent on your mother’s basement. 
1. O, 25 internet points

2. O, 10 

3. O, 25

4. U, 10

5. U, 20

6. U, 5

7. U, 5

1. Total Touches: 16.5   Under $25

2. Receptions: 3.5    Over $10

3. RuTDs: .5   Over $25

4. RuYd:  68.5   Over $20

5. ReYd: 36.5   Over $10

6. ReTDs: .5   Over $5

7. FL: .5   Under $5

Disclaimer: 

:moneybag:

I have no idea what to expect week 1 other than that he will be an integral part of their offense but I will make a wager anyways because I need money to pay John Clayton's mom rent money. I can use it for that - right? 

1. Total Touches: 16.5 O 10
2. Receptions: 3.5 0 10 
3. RuTDs: .5 0 50
4. RuYd:  68.5 O 10
5. ReYd: 36.5 O 5
6. ReTDs: .5 U 5
7. FL: .5 U 10

I have no idea what to expect week 1 other than that he will be an integral part of their offense but I will make a wager anyways because I need money to pay John Clayton's mom rent money. I can use it for that - right? 
Absolutely, but you cannot buy him any new Slayer records. 

Disclaimer: 

1. Total Touches: 16.5 Over, 10

2. Receptions: 3.5. Over, 10

3. RuTDs: .5 Over, 20

4. RuYd:  68.5 Over, 30

5. ReYd: 36.5 Over, 10

6. ReTDs: .5 Over, 10

7. FL: .5 Under, 10

Gonna be a long season. Saw all the warning signs but jumped in feet first anyway. Three headed rbbc with mike Davis and Cohen. Davis gets to run out of a standard I formation. All Montgomery carries are from shotgun. Dumb coach “dubbed a genius” gives ball to mega bust WR gadget player Patterson on 3rd and 1, for a 2 yard loss. Nagy will overthink this thing all year - if light ever comes on, I’ll already be eliminated from fantasy playoffs. I know it’s week 1 - not an over reaction - Davis still racking up carries as I type this

Blessing in disguise. Three points and 98 total yards in a half of football. In 2019. Davis is trash. Bears know they need to get this kid major work. It’ll happen. 

NajehHejan said:
Gonna be a long season. Saw all the warning signs but jumped in feet first anyway. Three headed rbbc with mike Davis and Cohen. Davis gets to run out of a standard I formation. All Montgomery carries are from shotgun. Dumb coach “dubbed a genius” gives ball to mega bust WR gadget player Patterson on 3rd and 1, for a 2 yard loss. Nagy will overthink this thing all year - if light ever comes on, I’ll already be eliminated from fantasy playoffs. I know it’s week 1 - not an over reaction - Davis still racking up carries as I type this
Yeah I'm blown away by his ####ty playcalling. 

Nothing is wrong with Montgomery.  Not going to say I told you so, but.....

All the RBs have value.  Montgomery will pay off come late in the season.  He has looked pretty good.   All the RBs have.

Montgomery will only get the ball more.  But the disgusting offense is hurting him. 
The offense are all base plays.  They are putting things on film for OTHER teams to look at.  Think of it like a dance.  The Bears are far from showing all their cards.  Both teams are almost the opposite. Despite the double fakes misdirection etc.  Those are the staples of the offense. 

The offense are all base plays.  They are putting things on film for OTHER teams to look at.  Think of it like a dance.  The Bears are far from showing all their cards.  Both teams are almost the opposite. Despite the double fakes misdirection etc.  Those are the staples of the offense. 
I am not sure running a base offense to potentially give away a home game to a team you will likely be fighting with to win the division is the smart move. 

Watching Davis and Cohen in the backfield at the same time while Monty watches from the sidelines- man that’s gonna be so sweet to watch week in and week out, wish I could can it and put it on my desk. 

Bears deserve to lose here. Dumb game plan. Trubisky airs it out 42 times. Was never down by more than 7. Andy Reid -2.0

Watching Davis and Cohen in the backfield at the same time while Monty watches from the sidelines- man that’s gonna be so sweet to watch week in and week out, wish I could can it and put it on my desk. 
Davis has looked pretty good. Montgomery can break tackles but that seems about it so far, and it doesnt seem like Chicago wants one guy doing it all. Montgomery very well may be capable, but Chicago has 3 guys who can all contribute. Also it was clear to me Chicago did not want to telegraph their plays like last year with Howard and Cohen. IMO it's been a rbbc to avoid

The stupidity of coaches never ceases to amaze me.  Mike Davis looks awful (11 touches for 36 yards total, LOL), yet he got the most touches out of all of the Bears skill position players.  Too early to panic on Montgomery, but his lack of touches tonight was concerning, and it is tough to have faith in Nagy wising up. 

Users who are viewing this thread