What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (3 Viewers)

Davis has looked pretty good. Montgomery can break tackles but that seems about it so far, and it doesnt seem like Chicago wants one guy doing it all. Montgomery very well may be capable, but Chicago has 3 guys who can all contribute. Also it was clear to me Chicago did not want to telegraph their plays like last year with Howard and Cohen. IMO it's been a rbbc to avoid
I know you’re having a bunch of fun at Montgomery’s expense, but come on. Davis looked good tonight? When? The whole team/game plan was garbage. Robinson was the only bright spot. It is a blessing that they only scored 3 points. They will get this kid much more involved in the near future. They know the have to. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The stupidity of coaches never ceases to amaze me.  Mike Davis looks awful (11 touches for 36 yards total, LOL), yet he got the most touches out of all of the Bears skill position players.  Too early to panic on Montgomery, but his lack of touches tonight was concerning, and it is tough to have faith in Nagy wising up. 
I don't think Mike Davis looked awful at all...

He looks really slippery and seems to fall forward, but I'd like to see a bit more burst. 
This was the issue with that @Sigmund Bloom brought up, he has great vision, hard to bring down, has a nice juke step at the line of scrimmage & probably has a nose for the end zone, but the athletic qualities for burst and long speed are pretty lacking.

I had a feeling this was gonna happen. Maybe they don't feel comfortable with his pass pro. Mike Davis is good at pass pro. I'd still feel  good If I was a Montgomery owner because He looks very legit to me. I think he gets a lot more touches next week and breaks out. 

11 touches for 36 yards total says it all.  He has no burst, no ability to make people miss, no anything. 
yes but 6 of the 11 touches were check-down passes in catch-up mode...

He can run and catch well enough but he can also pass protect. That is why he was in there.

I don't think Mike Davis looked awful at all...
I agree! He is a very capable pass catcher. Trubisky missed him for a TD which would have made his stats look a lot better. By the end of the year he will be on the bench because Montgomery is clearly the more dynamic player. Davis might be a pain in the butt though early in the year. This is why I said I like Montgomery as my number 3 back but I don't quite trust him early on. You never know with rookies. The good news is he looks good to me.

Watching the game gave me flash backs of being a Howard owner (for a short stint) last year.

Nagy looks like he’s married to this style of run game. Hopefully Monty is good enough to make him change his tune. 

Watching the game gave me flash backs of being a Howard owner (for a short stint) last year.

Nagy looks like he’s married to this style of run game. Hopefully Monty is good enough to make him change his tune. 
Terrible start for Nagy. I think his play calling has its place but he goes too far sometimes. Calling plays doesn’t alway need to be that hard. Sometimes it’s as simple as a QB sneak on 3rd and 1. 

Terrible start for Nagy. I think his play calling has its place but he goes too far sometimes. Calling plays doesn’t alway need to be that hard. Sometimes it’s as simple as a QB sneak on 3rd and 1. 
The first play of the game was ridiculous. Embarrassing really. Get good at football first then get cute with the hocus-pocus stuff. 

His lack of contribution tonight has to either be needing more time to develop pass pro, or Nagy being an idiot. I’m leaning toward the former but the latter isn’t far fetched. Will give him the benefit of the doubt until after week 5.

His lack of contribution tonight has to either be needing more time to develop pass pro, or Nagy being an idiot. I’m leaning toward the former but the latter isn’t far fetched. Will give him the benefit of the doubt until after week 5.
what should be concerning for Montgomery owners is if this is a system/personnel strategy that Nagy wants to use. He looks good but he may be used to be a better NFL rb than fantasy rb. He has all kinds of hype, but he may just be a piece of the puzzle. That would torpedo his value. 

Hes hard to tackle, but that's about it. sure he had 1 good catch where he was wide open... lots of players do that. I didnt see anything special this time around. IMO Davis looked like a more decisive runner. it's possible Montgomery becomes something next week or later in the season, but his usage should be a caution flag. 

The stupidity of coaches never ceases to amaze me.  Mike Davis looks awful (11 touches for 36 yards total, LOL), yet he got the most touches out of all of the Bears skill position players.  Too early to panic on Montgomery, but his lack of touches tonight was concerning, and it is tough to have faith in Nagy wising up. 
His lack of touches was due to repeated 3-and-outs just like all the Bears offense lack of touches.

that was a pathetic display of unpreparedness meeting cutsie playcalling. 

3rd & 1, strap it on and run into the pile. Get a first down, then get another 1st down, and then maybe get cute with something fancy. 

Just stupid, unnecessary drive-killing plays. I’m sure there were some good plays Trubisky butchered as well - it’s not all on the OC, Mitch was terrible out there for 3 quarters+.

that said, there’s no need to overcorrect. The Bears kept that game within a TD. They aren’t THIS bad on offense, they just got punched in the mouth. We’ve seen better out of Mitch, and ARob looks like his old self.

if they can get back to sustaining drives, Montgomery should be fine. He was the most exciting player out there on the long reception & on the 1st down run. Those were stand out plays. The Bears will notice that & his usage will increase. 

Disregarding a certain Packer’s fan’s obvious heckling & schtick, it’s probably a good time to buy low on Montgomery. There are better times ahead for this offense IMO. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
what should be concerning for Montgomery owners is if this is a system/personnel strategy that Magy wants to use. He looks good but he may be used to be a better NFL rb than fantasy rb. He has all kinds of hype, but he may just be a piece of the puzzle. That would torpedo his value. 

Hes hard to tackle, but that's about it. sure he had 1 good catch where he was wide open... lots of players do that. I didnt see anything special. IMO Davis looked like a more decisive runner. it's possible Montgomery becomes something next week or later in the season, but his usage should be a caution flag. 
Yeah, except for the first down run where he broke 3 tackles you mean? :rolleyes:  

way to stay dedicated to the schtick dude, but at least be honest with an alleged observation. 

That was the best run of the night by any of the 3 backs. 

So naturally they put Patterson in the backfield on the next play. that’s just bad playcalling. 

I own no shares--but I am a little weak at RB in one of my redraft leagues.   I was thinking that I might try to take advantage of tonights game to try to make an offer for him--but honestly--the Bears rb situation looks murky.   Tarik didn't get a single carry tonight.  I know he's a receiving back--but I'd expect him to get a few carries. The Bears rushed a total of 15 times--trubiski accounted for 20% of those carries.  Mike Davis didn't look great--but I also don't think that he looked bad enough to justify fewer carries.  I feel like as long as Cohen and Davis are healthy---his upside will be capped just because of shared volume. Now if one of them gets hurt--we could be looking at something special.  Right now--I'd have a hard time putting him at much more than a low end RB2-high end RB3/or an average flex option.  If Cohen or Davis gets hurt--I could see him instantly go to a really high end rb2 with upside. 

I own no shares--but I am a little weak at RB in one of my redraft leagues.   I was thinking that I might try to take advantage of tonights game to try to make an offer for him--but honestly--the Bears rb situation looks murky.   Tarik didn't get a single carry tonight.  I know he's a receiving back--but I'd expect him to get a few carries. The Bears rushed a total of 15 times--trubiski accounted for 20% of those carries.  Mike Davis didn't look great--but I also don't think that he looked bad enough to justify fewer carries.  I feel like as long as Cohen and Davis are healthy---his upside will be capped just because of shared volume. Now if one of them gets hurt--we could be looking at something special.  Right now--I'd have a hard time putting him at much more than a low end RB2-high end RB3/or an average flex option.  If Cohen or Davis gets hurt--I could see him instantly go to a really high end rb2 with upside. 
It's not a bad time to buy if you believe in Montgomery. Chicsgo looks to be doing its best Eagles impression in their backfield based on one game. Might be how itll be, might not. I'd imagine Nagy would change things up if he likes his job, but he finally has "his guys" in Davis and Montgomery. 

It's clear what I would do, but I wouldnt fault anyone for trying to buy at a perceived low point. the risk/reward is probably good if you can find him at a cheaper price. 

27 yards came on a designed play for Montgomery where there was no defense in sight. 

Davis: 5 carries, 19 yards (3.8 ypc)

Monty: 6 carries, 18 yards (3.0 ypc)

I'm not sure where you are seeing that Monty vastly outplayed Davis and needed to be on the field
Because of Patterson :shrug:

The offense never got into a rhythm and I question Nagy's decision of not playing Trubisky in the preseason (he played 1 series in the first game and didn't throw a pass) - especially with all the new players.  He did a similar thing last year and I questioned it then as well but Trubisky game out firing against the Packers before choking the game away. This leads me to the RBs. The Bears had 2 delay of game penalties in the same drive which is unacceptable. As HSG mentioned, their offense was out of sync which led to a ton of 3 and outs and took the run game out of the game plan.  The Packers are a pretty good team and their D was pretty good tonight so you have to give them some credit as well. If I remember reading correctly the Packers O/U in Vegas was 9 1/2 wins and the Bears 9 which means they expect both to be good teams this season. 

As for the RBs - here is my assessment.
1) Davis looked like a capable backup but not like a starter. He is not as dynamic as the other 2 and will get fewer carries as the season goes on (barring injuries). 
2) Cohen looked like a buffoon until he woke up in the 4th quarter. He made bad decisions, dropped balls and made boneheaded plays on punt returns. He didn't look like he will get as many touches as some have suggested in this thread running the football.  He will be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield and has the ability to line up as a WR. I am not worried about him but think this was one of his worst games.
3) Montgomery will be fine. He looked like the best back skill-wise in his limited play. He also did a nice job in protection which bodes well for him getting playing time.

Yeah, except for the first down run where he broke 3 tackles you mean? :rolleyes:  

way to stay dedicated to the schtick dude, but at least be honest with an alleged observation. 

That was the best run of the night by any of the 3 backs. 

So naturally they put Patterson in the backfield on the next play. that’s just bad playcalling. 
The main risk in owning Monty is that the bolded may not stop imo. Maybe they're not bad NFL plays but it's terrible for your fantasy players. I don't see Nagy stopping this kinda playcalling all of a sudden, he did random stuff last year too if I'm remembering correctly. I'm afraid it's just a part of his system, or what he does.

Time to trade FOR Montgomery!
I agree. He looked very good on his limited touches and made the best catch of the game on a poorly throw ball from a Trubisky (I know that’s redundant). I stated yesterday I thought this would be a RBBC, but I figured Montgomery would lead the way. After last night that seems inevitable to me.

I may make some offers next week.

He didn’t look special to me. Certainly not Le’veon Bell-esk as the hype levels rose to. I dare not speak to who my comp would be for him but the guy in question did have some 1,000 yard seasons... I also think he never broke 4.0 ypc. I think that’s in alignment with what I see in Montgomery.

He didn’t look special to me. Certainly not Le’veon Bell-esk as the hype levels rose to. I dare not speak to who my comp would be for him but the guy in question did have some 1,000 yard seasons... I also think he never broke 4.0 ypc. I think that’s in alignment with what I see in Montgomery.
seems volume dependant to me. But that's what he was in college too... his ypc was pretty drab in comparison to other RBs in that class, hes a below average athlete on the sparq, and he had one of the worst created yards between the tackles statistics in the class. 

He looked good to me, but I think I need to bench him until his breakout or if/when he gets 15-20 carries... dang...

what should be concerning for Montgomery owners is if this is a system/personnel strategy that Nagy wants to use. He looks good but he may be used to be a better NFL rb than fantasy rb. He has all kinds of hype, but he may just be a piece of the puzzle. That would torpedo his value. 

Hes hard to tackle, but that's about it. sure he had 1 good catch where he was wide open... lots of players do that. I didnt see anything special this time around. IMO Davis looked like a more decisive runner. it's possible Montgomery becomes something next week or later in the season, but his usage should be a caution flag. 
:lmao:  c'mon man, you can't be serious. He ran an actual route and caught the ball on the run, high, & cleanly with his hands 20+ yards downfield. Lots of RBs don't do that. In fact, very few do.

I'm not here to discount Davis. He's a decent back, but I'm sending out offers for Montgomery this morning. The guy has some serious PPR upside in his career.

Time to trade FOR Montgomery!
I agree. He looked very good on his limited touches and made the best catch of the game on a poorly throw ball from a Trubisky (I know that’s redundant). I stated yesterday I thought this would be a RBBC, but I figured Montgomery would lead the way. After last night that seems inevitable to me.

I may make some offers next week.
I'm with these guys. I fully expected this to start of RBBC, but last night was a positive sign for me. As nice as that catch was, the main reason I see him as a buy is that people looking at the box score will think it is a 3-way RBBC, which was a solid fear before the season. However, Cohen played 46 snaps and only two of them came in the backfield. 36 of his snaps were out of the slot and 8 were out wide. That is awesome news for Montgomery and terrible news for Anthony Miller. 

It's unfortunate, but expected that the veteran Davis was in when Chicago was in the 2-minute drill. I attribute that to the snap discrepancy (38 vs. 23). I expect it to be closer to an even split for a while, with Montgomery taking the majority (60/40 or 65/35) in the second half of the season. Davis is a capable check down catcher, but Montgomery could be a special pass catcher and they raved about his route running in camp. He could be a poor man's Bell next season.

I know you’re having a bunch of fun at Montgomery’s expense, but come on. Davis looked good tonight? When? The whole team/game plan was garbage. Robinson was the only bright spot. It is a blessing that they only scored 3 points. They will get this kid much more involved in the near future. They know the have to. 
While I admit I was a fan of Davis while at South Carolina, I have not seen anything significant from him to warrant so much involvement.  With that said, I think most of it was dump off and game script dictated by GB Def.  I think GB dared Trubisky to beat them with his arm and he came up short.  Literally, they only gave him short dump off passes and simple screens.  CHI did not challenge GB with much long ball efforts.  Aside from the 27 yard pass to A Robinson,  due to the Def mistake, I think Tribusky let them down and dumped off to Davis as a last ditch effort to avoid a sack or loss on the play.  Credit to GB Def / Def Coordinator.  Crime for the CHI OC to let it happen 

Davis had a nice catch, some good looking runs, and some bleh looking runs.

Montgomery had a nice catch, some good looking runs, and some bleh looking runs.

Monty looked solid, but to say Davis looked "awful" by comparison is silly.  He ran decisively and broke tackles.  Montgomery ran less decisively and broke a few more tackles.

It's hard to tell how this works itself out. I would think the Bears would run the ball a lot more in future games. Who will be doing it though?

Montgomery looked good when he had room picking up a few first downs. He even made some nice runs on some poorly blocked plays. Tho I'm still not completely convinced he gets the majority of the carries. Davis isn't as bad as everybody is pretending, he had some decent runs also making some defenders miss. Cohen played the whole game in the slot and it's hard to tell if that will continue, he could/should see more snaps at running back.

Davis had a nice catch, some good looking runs, and some bleh looking runs.

Montgomery had a nice catch, some good looking runs, and some bleh looking runs.

Monty looked solid, but to say Davis looked "awful" by comparison is silly.  He ran decisively and broke tackles.  Montgomery ran less decisively and broke a few more tackles.
I agree with this also. Those saying Davis looked awful are looking through the lens of being a Montgomery owner. He's a solid veteran back and won't be totally going away. I thought Montgomery showed more as he seems more elusive and stronger with the ball and Davis was more of a straight ahead runner. Now neither looked great - but the Bears o-line did them no favors and one Packer defender admitted post game that the plan was to let Trubisky and beat them through the air in a very insulting type of way towards his (in)ability to do that.

While I admit I was a fan of Davis while at South Carolina, I have not seen anything significant from him to warrant so much involvement.  With that said, I think most of it was dump off and game script dictated by GB Def.  I think GB dared Trubisky to beat them with his arm and he came up short.  Literally, they only gave him short dump off passes and simple screens.  CHI did not challenge GB with much long ball efforts.  Aside from the 27 yard pass to A Robinson,  due to the Def mistake, I think Tribusky let them down and dumped off to Davis as a last ditch effort to avoid a sack or loss on the play.  Credit to GB Def / Def Coordinator.  Crime for the CHI OC to let it happen 
I’ve posted a few times already about the game plan last night, it was head scratching and that’s being nice. They threw the ball 45 times in a game where they were down by four points for most of the game. I read that they threw it 23 straight plays to end the game? That’s the thing that has to change first and foremost. Hard to judge a running game with a script like that. Montgomery had one carry after the first quarter. It was his first career game in the NFL. It’s going to take patience. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the coaching staff, and they find a way to be more balanced as the season goes on. Maybe they should have given their starters some more reps in the preseason.

I’m not happy about how last night went, but I’m also not going to panic and dump Montgomery for peanuts or go out and buy Davis. I refuse to believe that they traded up to get this kid only for him to be used like he was last night. The touches will come sooner rather than later IMO. 

I like how after a handful of carries in his first nfl game some people saw enough to tell he’s going to be a stud and others saw enough to tell he will never amount to anything. Pre draft bias much?

If u want to get technical, David, Mont, and Patterson had carries.
I know this all depends on Nagy changing his ways but I fully expect to see Montgomery as the main back with Davis spelling him occasionally and Cohen as a change of pace or just split out wide.  Montgomery should be getting the majority of the carries.  Need Nagy to run the ball more and not rely on Trubisky throwing over 40 times.  I hope he makes the correct adjustments to the game plan.

I didnt see anything special this time around.
And you never will “see anything special”, because that doesn’t fit your preconceived narrative. 

Weird how every recap of the game I’ve read except yours specifically points out how acrobatic that Montgomery catch was, and how effective Montgomery looked as a runner, yet to you it was just a routine catch, wide open. 

& I guess you were in the bathroom during back to back runs where he broke multiple tackles to get a 1st down? Yoman, who was at the game, also reported on how good he looked comparatively.

Yet you’re in here claiming Mike Davis looked like the better RB? Was that the 2nd or 3rd time he ran straight into a pile for no gain?   :rolleyes:

As a receiver Davis looked above average, as he always has. As a RB he looked pretty bad, as he always does. Was he “decisively” bad? Ok, sure. He looked very confident running into a pile for no gain. 

Montgomery looked special every time he touched the ball. Even on a no-gain carry, it was a busted play that would have been a loss for 2 had he not found a way to juke through an arm tackle & get back to the LOS. 

The truth is that no RB received enough carries to do anything with any consistency or get into any sort of flow because the Bears threw the ball 40x and got way too cute with their play-calling. Fortunately, unlike your obvious bias, those things are correctable. 

But you’re not in here to make legitimate observations about football. You’re here to say “I told you so” after one terrible game by the entire Bears offense, as though anything definitive is known today more than yesterday beyond the fact that it was one terrible game.

Some of us have watched enough football  to not overreact to one bad game. 

There will be better games for the Bears & for Montgomery. Likely sooner than later. 

I know this all depends on Nagy changing his ways but I fully expect to see Montgomery as the main back with Davis spelling him occasionally and Cohen as a change of pace or just split out wide.  Montgomery should be getting the majority of the carries.  Need Nagy to run the ball more and not rely on Trubisky throwing over 40 times.  I hope he makes the correct adjustments to the game plan.
Last night was a masterpiece of lack of preparation, underestimation of an opponent & hubris. 

I have no doubt that after getting booed off the field, Nagy will make corrections & simplify his game plan. 

He needs to settle down his QB & get back to basics. They need to look in the mirror and know who they are. Run the ball, play defense. Take the occasional shot downfield. They woke up yesterday & thought they were the Chiefs.  

Trubisky isn’t a world-beater, but he’s better than the display he put on last night. And a lot of that had to do with the Bears game plan. 

This game should be a wake-up call. 

The cream will rise to the top.  That was a ####e show last night.  Better game scripts and Monty will be at least viable as a flex.  Davis has short area quickness, but he is not the athlete that Monty is.....I'm betting as things settle out, it's going to be a lot Monty and Cohen.

While week 1 overreactions are standard, I also think that people who are outraged about Montgomery's share are not appreciating the following:

• Cohen will always drain some looks as he is a proven weapon in this offense. This alone will limit usage on passing and 3rd downs
  • Mike Davis is also a serviceable back in both phases of the game. He is not an elite talent by any stretch, but can be depended upon and at the very least, the Bears signing him to a 2-year deal meant he was there to provide reliably depth in rotation for the team.
  • Montgomery is a rookie -- and extremely talented rookie, and I think last night showed he has solid elusiveness, vision, and burst. But things like pass pro and adjusting to NFL speed and defenses are meaningful, and most coaches don't throw a rookie (except for the truly elite ones) into their first season as main lead dog unless they don't have reliable depth. Some coaches are also conservative and want rookies to prove themselves in that role as well. 
This is to say that easing a rookie in within a rotation where a team has the depth to support that path should have been the expectation here. Not Montgomery getting the lion's share. So panicking about how this game went for the Bears run game and Montgomery's trajectory is wasted energy.

If Montgomery continues to look like he did last night, he will be the lead back. But if anyone expected that out of the gate from Week 1, then they aren't appreciating the fact that 1) that doesn't happen often, and 2) the Bears backfield is clearly set up to ease Montgomery in.

Users who are viewing this thread