What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike McCarthy fired (1 Viewer)

Philbin is one of the most inept clowns in the NFl. He should be sitting with Jeff Fisher. He just looks stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just interim. 

I have to think that they will clean house in the offseason and overhaul all or most of the entire coaching staff. 
Yeah. Unless you think the interim tag somehow indicates he’s a legit candidate for next year, then I don’t get the hate for the move. It’s all changing next year anyway. 

Eta: And by “next year”, I mean in one month. 

Hilarious watching the paid doofuses on the networks backing him up. I guess they are clearing out a seat next to them for next year.

This just means Rodgers will call the offense the rest of the season. If you think you're fixing Rodgers issues this season with going for the home run every time and locking onto DA, you're fooling yourself. Jones owners should also not at all get excited about this.

about frikkin time - a guy who has never called a game of 21st C offense (and his 20th C offense was incredibly predictable, too) hangs on five yrs too long cuz he won a title
In the last five years the Packers won 3 NFC North titles and played in the NFC Championship twice.  The man’s time has come, but he’s had a great run.

This just means Rodgers will call the offense the rest of the season. If you think you're fixing Rodgers issues this season with going for the home run every time and locking onto DA, you're fooling yourself. Jones owners should also not at all get excited about this.
I for one hope it means DA gets 20 targets a game from here on out.

why? 

Rodgers has been a Jones fan since his rookie year. he was his #1 advocate earlier this year when he said "we need to get Jones the ball more."

McCarthy was the one who would run Jones all first half and then completely ignore him in the 2nd half

If Rodgers is calling the plays, this is amazing for Jones owners 

why? 

Rodgers has been a Jones fan since his rookie year. he was his #1 advocate earlier this year when he said "we need to get Jones the ball more."

McCarthy was the one who would run Jones all first half and then completely ignore him in the 2nd half

Idk, I see Rodgers as the type who is gladly going to call his own number as much as he can. And he still doesn't check down to RBs, coaching has nothing to do that.

I'm glad to be proven wrong though.

In the last five years the Packers won 3 NFC North titles and played in the NFC Championship twice.  The man’s time has come, but he’s had a great run.
Only makes me wonder what a coach who understood modern offense could have done. Got folks to work hard & well, but gave them no framework for real success with his anachronistic gameplans and lack of original thought. It was embarrassing that this season's rookie receivers got worse at presenting targets rather than better in the half-season they had to rely on them. And his fundamentalitis in the backfield.....

why? 

Not sure about that. It's been reported in the paper in the past week that Rodgers wasn't running the plays McCarthy was calling. It was almost a game to see who could one-up the other. Are we sure it wasn't McCarthy checking out of the run play McCarthy called?

The problem is that Thompsons consecutive failed drafts will haunt this team for a while unless Gute spends some money, which he will have plenty
What is their cap space like for next year. I would imagine Rodgers eats up a bunch of that. But they should have Matthews off the books for one. And most likely Cobb.

What is their cap space like for next year. I would imagine Rodgers eats up a bunch of that. But they should have Matthews off the books for one. And most likely Cobb.
Matthew's and Cobb alone free up 20+ million. should be about 40 million under the cap. 15th in the league. 

can save another 5 mil if we cut tramon williams

Indy has 123 million of cap space. ridiculous. Cleveland 84... going to be scary good 

Matthew's and Cobb alone free up 20+ million. should be about 40 million under the cap. 15th in the league. 

Indy has 123 million of cap space. ridiculous. Cleveland 84... going to be scary good 
Not sure money is going to fix everything here. Still need to fix Aaron Rodgers. He's been less than adequate this year, to say the least. He's been terribly inaccurate and missed a lot of reads. At what point does the responsibility fall upon him? It's always someone else's fault. Taking subtle jabs at the head coach in his press conferences. Rookie WRs running the wrong depth on their routes. Etc. etc. All may be true but a team leader keeps that in house, especially when that leader has been far from perfect. Hopefully they hire a coach that will be willing to keep Rodgers in check, much like Holmgren did with Favre. My fear is that Rodgers has a big say in who they hire.

Users who are viewing this thread