Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

PETA's Suggestion For Language Change - Your Take?

Joe Bryant

What's your take?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, the moops said:

I find it dumb. And say this as a person who does not eat meat and generally agrees with PETA on their less controverial takes.

PS - you may want to include some more info in the original post

Thanks. Sorry - I added the link to the post. It looks like they'd pulled it from Twitter. Link should be working now. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

See PETAs suggestions here.

Assuming this is not a joke or publicity stunt, what's your take on this?

It's factually incorrect. Plus PETA is one big publicity stunt which is a shame because I wish there were a national organization that cared about treating animals better who weren't wack jobs. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sheriff Bart said:

It's factually incorrect. Plus PETA is one big publicity stunt which is a shame because I wish there were a national organization that cared about treating animals better who weren't wack jobs. 

Do you think many people share your feeling there? I am not a vegetarian but care about treating animals well (I know - that's it's own discussion). But I think lots of people agree with you. That their stuff like this actually hurts the cause as it gives so much for the "other" side to laugh about. It turns into the "Why would I listen to those people? They think 'taking the bull by the horns' is offensive". That kind of thing. Do you think many people feel like you do?

This is an example of PETA focusing completely on the wrong thing. I know that it's possible to care about more than one issue at a time, but altering silly phrases should just not be anywhere near the forefront of trying to reduce animal suffering.

It strikes me not as an attempt to change the world for good, but instead as just an opportunity to score Woke Points by calling out others who can be accused of being less woke. It's not helpful.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

Do you think many people share your feeling there? I am not a vegetarian but care about treating animals well (I know - that's it's own discussion). But I think lots of people agree with you. That their stuff like this actually hurts the cause as it gives so much for the "other" side to laugh about. It turns into the "Why would I listen to those people? They think 'taking the bull by the horns' is offensive". That kind of thing. Do you think many people feel like you do?

Yes I do.  There's a reason (delicious, delicious) veal isn't as popular as it was just 25 years ago. I think we've all have witnessed more outrage over an abused dog than an abused child. They hurt the cause because they equate a cockroachs to mammals, for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

See PETAs suggestions here. https://imgur.com/a/carqIhj

It is hard to tell with PETA as they are attention hogs (which they would probably find as anti-animal too) and are always coming up with outrageous suggestions that will never be acted on, like demanding the Green Bay Packers change their name to the Pickers because of the meat packing/slaughter origin of the name from the original owners.

I doubt that the animals of these expressions have not been offended by hearing them or are complaining it is pejorative and not PC. Also I doubt that any animals have actually been harmed by the continued use of this terminology - so yes this seems a silly publicity stunt.

Tweet from PETA:  "Just as it became unacceptable to use racist, homophobic, or ableist language, phrases that trivialize cruelty to animals will vanish as more people begin to appreciate animals for who they are and start ‘bringing home the bagels’ instead of the bacon."

I think this sort of hits what I and not to put words in his mouth @Sheriff Bart is saying:

Comparing “bring home the bacon” to racist, homophobic and ableist language only goes to show that PETA neither understands what animal cruelty is, or what racism/homophobia/ableism is. It’s difficult to imagine an organization that hobbles their own cause more than PETA, to the point where it wouldn’t be all that surprising to find they were an Outback Steakhouse-backed false flag operation (not to jump the shark or …bump the snark?). And the sooner people who actually care about the ethical treatment of animals move on from PETA, the better all people and animals will be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Tweet from PETA:  "Just as it became unacceptable to use racist, homophobic, or ableist language, phrases that trivialize cruelty to animals will vanish as more people begin to appreciate animals for who they are and start ‘bringing home the bagels’ instead of the bacon."

I think this sort of hits what I and not to put words in his mouth @Sheriff Bart is saying:

First of all, bacon is going nowhere. Associating these harmless sayings with such serious problems is a terrible idea, and will only create backlash in most everyone but the choir.  I don’t see how this helps.

31 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

It's tough with current leadership in PETA. As they say, "A fish's thoughts are from its head."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, squistion said:

From the Twitters:

I'm a bird enthusiast/owner, and am quite offended by this tweet. Sugar is INCREDIBLY bad for birds. If you feed a bird a scone, you're going to give them severe intestinal problems and possibly kill them.

Now don't be coy, was this from your Twitter account?

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

There being more than one way to skin a cat I suppose there is more than one way to express these concepts.  Me, I will be unlikely to change my vernacular, but it is fine by me if others do.

Language evolves.  PETA is free to try to introduce whatever phrases they'd like into the lexicon.   Maybe one will catch on, like "Where's the beef?" did in the 80's.  That being said, it's stupid and misplaced, and it diminishes things like racism and hate speech that they are trying to compare to. 

This is really just an attempt to create a hyper-PC newspeak, similar to their failed attempt years ago to discourage fishing by referring to fish as "sea-kittens."  

26 minutes ago, ShaqAttaq said:

Still not convinced that this isn’t an Onion topic

At this point I’m like 80% convinced that PETA is a right wing front used to make liberals look bad and distract from real causes, both in their supposed areas of concern and more broadly. 

Its either that or a shameless publicity stunt where they think the long term exposure outweighs the short term ridicule.  Nobody actually thinks this is a good idea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

If I make a statement, and someone is offended, I apologize, take responsibility, and try not to say the same thing in the future.  

If I make a statement, and someone is offended on behalf of someone else, I generally try to ascertain if that someone else is actually offended before I'm willing to believe what I've said is wrong.

If the birds, guinea pigs, horses, pigs, and bulls will simply tell me they are offended by the language I use, or even put it in writing if they wouldn't be comfortable telling me to my face, I would be more than happy to change my language.  

• Like 1