Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

PETA's Suggestion For Language Change - Your Take?

Joe Bryant

What's your take?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think some of these make sense (as Maurile points out, the flower/thorns one is confusing). But I get what PETA is doing. I do think changing language can help change thinking in the long run. Its sounds silly to us now - but in 20/30 years as we evolve in our thinking, it probably won't. There are tons of examples that would support this.

So I'll try to use feed a fed horse from now on.

23 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I don't think some of these make sense (as Maurile points out, the flower/thorns one is confusing). But I get what PETA is doing. I do think changing language can help change thinking in the long run. Its sounds silly to us now - but in 20/30 years as we evolve in our thinking, it probably won't. There are tons of examples that would support this.

So I'll try to use feed a fed horse from now on.

Report back when you do.   I can see that being dropped into the "phrases that need to stop being used immediately" thread.

4 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

If I make a statement, and someone is offended, I apologize, take responsibility, and try not to say the same thing in the future.  

If I make a statement, and someone is offended on behalf of someone else, I generally try to ascertain if that someone else is actually offended before I'm willing to believe what I've said is wrong.

If the birds, guinea pigs, horses, pigs, and bulls will simply tell me they are offended by the language I use, or even put it in writing if they wouldn't be comfortable telling me to my face, I would be more than happy to change my language.  

Is it okay to mock mentally-challenged humans so long as you are certain the mocking is outside their ability to comprehend it as such?

19 minutes ago, TakiToki said:

Is it okay to mock mentally-challenged humans so long as you are certain the mocking is outside their ability to comprehend it as such?

Are you suggesting the mentally challenged don’t know what being made fun of is? Because it’s always possible someone will simply explain they’re being made fun of, which negates the entire premise. 

PETA is radical and they care far more for their agenda than they do about animals or people.

I am curious, on their daily ways of life, how many PETA people run over animals on the road with their cars, hit bugs, butterflies, birds etc. doesn't that pain them when they do it and why do they drive if its going to kill innocent animal life? always wondered that ..... of course the answer is, they don't really care at all about those things

I kill animals, I eat animals, I do not apologize for it

14 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

PETA is radical and they care far more for their agenda than they do about animals or people.

I am curious, on their daily ways of life, how many PETA people run over animals on the road with their cars, hit bugs, butterflies, birds etc. doesn't that pain them when they do it and why do they drive if its going to kill innocent animal life? always wondered that ..... of course the answer is, they don't really care at all about those things

PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, that does include insects.

22 hours ago, squistion said:

PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, that does include insects.

The number of animals killed in the United States has been estimated at a million per day.

Did you know ?

10 minutes ago, squistion said:

And your point is?

why doesn't PETA call for the slaughter on the highways to stop? literally 365 million dead ANIMALS on the roads every year .......... and PETA people? they drive auto's .... you know they're going to kill a few road animals themselves ..... why are they still driving?

my point is PETA are hypocrites and they do what they do for attention more than anything else - same with this stupid language change. Just ridiculous

4 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

why doesn't PETA call for the slaughter on the highways to stop? literally 365 million dead ANIMALS on the roads every year .......... and PETA people? they drive auto's .... you know they're going to kill a few road animals themselves ..... why are they still driving?

my point is PETA are hypocrites and they do what they do for attention more than anything else - same with this stupid language change. Just ridiculous

I think the proposed language change is silly and another reason why PETA is viewed as a laughing stock.

Not speaking for PETA but I would imagine that they view road kill as accidental and not due to an ethical lapse on the part of the driver, which is why they are not calling for something to be done.

2 hours ago, squistion said:

I think the proposed language change is silly and another reason why PETA is viewed as a laughing stock.

Not speaking for PETA but I would imagine that they view road kill as accidental and not due to an ethical lapse on the part of the driver, which is why they are not calling for something to be done.

that could be how they self justify i suppose

2 hours ago, squistion said:

You suppose? How could accidentally running over an animal be an unethical treatment of an animal?

because animals have Rights too - with the way those wackos think, they have every right to travel a road as you do and its murder to kill them

they're wackos - its hard to think how they think

9 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

because animals have Rights too - with the way those wackos think, they have every right to travel a road as you do and its murder to kill them

they're wackos - its hard to think how they think

It is not murdering an animal to accidentally run them over and PETA doesn't believe that. Murder usually requires intent and that would be missing with an unintentional animal/vehicle collision.

31 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

So wrong.

If you truly believe plants are sentient or as sentient as animals then you should start a new organization:

PETP

People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants.

I think you will have to work on the acronym a bit though...

On 12/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, Stealthycat said:

Isn't their agenda about protecting animals? How do they care more about protecting animals than they do about animals? I don't understand.

13 hours ago, whoknew said:

Isn't their agenda about protecting animals? How do they care more about protecting animals than they do about animals? I don't understand.

who knows their agenda ?

PETA euthanizes animals, HSUS kills 90% of the animals it "protects" .... PETA humanizes animals, they treat them as equals to the point that having a dog or cat is slavery.