What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vodka Thread (from the archives) (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
2008 Vodka Thread here.

- I'm a beer guy, always have been... but this time of year I might just have the occasional Stoly's on the rocks, plus it's fun to bring to holiday parties. Any suggestions out there, also anything Polish or European specifically worth exploring? Fwiw I've found Wyborowa (Polish) very good.  TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find it, Due (there's an accent in there somewhere, but I don't know how to type it) is excellent.  Italian vodka filtered through crushed marble.   I have no idea what that does, but it tastes good.

Already mentioned but Sobieski is THE best vidka value available. $19 for a handle and that’s here in Chicago. From what I’ve heard, Sobieski grades out very high as well. I’m a vodka drinker and this is my go to. As a comparison, Tito’s is twice as much $$. 

Big fan of Vodka

I am a vodka and club soda guy. Occasionally an American Mule if its appropriate. Any one have a good vodka holiday recipe?

Mentioned in the archive thread, but bears repeating. Jewel of Russia Ultra is the best out there. Never thought there could be as wide a difference in quality until I had it. Not cheap, but worth it. 

Big fan of Vodka

I am a vodka and club soda guy. Occasionally an American Mule if its appropriate. Any one have a good vodka holiday recipe?
I drink it straight out the bottle/Do I look like a mutha####in role model/to a kid looking up to me...

Just had N.W.A. in my head. 

Was drinking a lot of mules but got bored of them.  May need to make one this weekend.  

I liked it, but that's a rerun, mang. 

Still quality. I think it was an ask you anything and I asked about Tito's. 

That's scary I remember, but I think it was the Tito display I see every time at the liquor store that got me to ask and remember. 

Soootch said:
Tito’s is what we buy 99.9% of the time. Cheap, available everywhere and consistently good.
Is Tito’s really that cheap anymore? Price has been creeping up toward premium territory these days. That coupled with their outright lie about “craft made” and give me Sobieski any day.

Mentioned in the archive thread, but bears repeating. Jewel of Russia Ultra is the best out there. Never thought there could be as wide a difference in quality until I had it. Not cheap, but worth it. 
Jewel of Russia is legit. There is a russian vodka bar we frequent in occasion and the bartender swears by it (he is not russian). 

Also a fan of grey goose and ketel one.

Vodka is my drink of choice, on the rocks or with soda (no fruit). Been drinking a lot of bloodies lately and am a fan of zing zang’s mix.

Was drinking a lot of mules but got bored of them.  May need to make one this weekend.  
Try an angry mule.  It’s a regular mule with some vodka infused with jalapeño added on top as a splash.  I make my own.  Jalapeño cut up in a small jar (e.g. jelly) with vodka.  Refrigerate for a few days.  I’ve got some other good mule recipes if you’re interested.  I’m a Tito’s guy all the way.

Vodka 1.75L prices at Total Wine 

Goose $45

Ketel $32

Titos $26

Absolut $26

3 Olives $24

Stoli $24

Luksosowa $22

Skyy $17

Sobieski $17

Smirinoff $15

Svedka $15 

I need to try Sobieski and Titos I've never had those.  Chopin is solid as mentioned before.   I generally do Belvedere or Ketel One so I need to branch out a bit more.  

Is Tito’s really that cheap anymore? Price has been creeping up toward premium territory these days. That coupled with their outright lie about “craft made” and give me Sobieski any day.
Not sure if you saw my post up thread but Sobieski is also my vodka of choice. I also used to drink Titos and the price is now double that of Sobieski. No thanks, Tito! Sobieski is a better vodka anyway. 

Try an angry mule.  It’s a regular mule with some vodka infused with jalapeño added on top as a splash.  I make my own.  Jalapeño cut up in a small jar (e.g. jelly) with vodka.  Refrigerate for a few days.  I’ve got some other good mule recipes if you’re interested.  I’m a Tito’s guy all the way.
nice ...I do the entire handle and taste test every few days.  The longer you leave them in there, the hotter it gets.  Love that you can taste the "greeness" of the jalapeno.  

Also, I want to try and smoke the jalapenos first - seems like it would be awesome.  

The interesting thing is that there are cheap vodkas that are 80 proof and there are expensive vodkas that are 80 proof.

Jewel of Russia is legit. There is a russian vodka bar we frequent in occasion and the bartender swears by it (he is not russian). 

Also a fan of grey goose and ketel one.

Vodka is my drink of choice, on the rocks or with soda (no fruit). Been drinking a lot of bloodies lately and am a fan of zing zang’s mix.
Try Dr. Swami & Bone Daddy’s Cajun Bloody Mary mix. You will never touch zing zang again. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/590022606/is-there-really-a-difference-between-expensive-vodka-and-cheap-vodka

Walk into just about any bar in America today, and you'll see a row of fancy vodka bottles all lined up, shining like beacons. Some people swear by one brand or another, but there is a federal law that requires all vodkas to be pretty much the same....

Thoughts?
Try Ketel and any other vodka immediately after. There is a very noticeable difference. Using Ketel as an example, not that I think it’s superior (I don’t), just that it has the most unique (and polarizing) taste. Some swear by it, others detest. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/590022606/is-there-really-a-difference-between-expensive-vodka-and-cheap-vodka

Walk into just about any bar in America today, and you'll see a row of fancy vodka bottles all lined up, shining like beacons. Some people swear by one brand or another, but there is a federal law that requires all vodkas to be pretty much the same....

Thoughts?
Lots of wrong in this article.  There are absolutely different flavor profiles for different Vodkas. They are influenced by three primary areas:

Sugar Source - Wheat, Potatoes, Sugar Cane, Sugar Beet, Corn, etc.

Yeast - Not much else to say here.  Each brand uses different yeast just like beer or other distilled liquors.  Each yeast imparts different flavor.

Distillation - How many times is it distilled?  The more it is distilled the more "flavorless" it becomes. 3-4 times is pretty common.  Tito's is 6 times. Wheatley 10 times. Buffalo Trace even produces a Vodka, called CLIX that is distilled 159 times. See what the did there?

And for some great bar trivia that I'm sure all you drunkards already know, what is Tito's last name?

Beveridge.  Bert "Tito" Beveridge.

Tito’s buys tanker loads of commodity neutral grain spirits, run it through their stills once to say “handmade” and bottle it. Absolute marketing racket that millions of suckers have fallen for.  Biggest scam running in the vodka world, and that’s saying something :lol:   

Tito’s buys tanker loads of commodity neutral grain spirits, run it through their stills once to say “handmade” and bottle it. Absolute marketing racket that millions of suckers have fallen for.  Biggest scam running in the vodka world, and that’s saying something :lol:   
It's pretty evident from Tito's facility that they aren't storing grain or cooking mash anymore.  But I don't believe there is any evidence to support the assertion that it is only distilled once. To call it a scam is a bit harsh.  He simply changed his production methods to support growth.

Monopolowa is our go to since we prefer potato vodka but keep meaning to try Chopin one of these days. 

It's pretty evident from Tito's facility that they aren't storing grain or cooking mash anymore.  But I don't believe there is any evidence to support the assertion that it is only distilled once. To call it a scam is a bit harsh.  He simply changed his production methods to support growth.
They have actually been taken to court over their ongoing representation of the brand as a “craft” vodka when they in reality buy bulk PGA from MGP and the like and finish it. That’s pretty scammy/slimy. 

Is there any evidence they distill it in their pot stills it more than once? 

$20.99, in the gift box with two copper-looking mule shot cups that are cheap plastic and went in the trash. But she’s telling me it’s good vodka. She’s drinking that, I’m drinking my old fashioneds, no one is throwing punches, it’s a good night. Knock on wood. 🤞🏻
A few years ago they had a couple decent looking glass shot glasses with the 750 size. Still have a dozen or so of those.

They have actually been taken to court over their ongoing representation of the brand as a “craft” vodka when they in reality buy bulk PGA from MGP and the like and finish it. That’s pretty scammy/slimy. 

Is there any evidence they distill it in their pot stills it more than once? 
Have they lost the suit or settled?  Anyone can get sued. Last I heard the initial court findings supported their use of "Handmade" and "Craft" on their labels, just like the ATF did.  

As far as evidence of multiple distillations, I think that is in the finished product.  If they were selling a 1x distilled MGP NGS it would be obvious. The fact that it is MGP feedstock and it comes out as at least a "good" Vodka is kinda proof in itself.

Have they lost the suit or settled?  Anyone can get sued. Last I heard the initial court findings supported their use of "Handmade" and "Craft" on their labels, just like the ATF did.  

As far as evidence of multiple distillations, I think that is in the finished product.  If they were selling a 1x distilled MGP NGS it would be obvious. The fact that it is MGP feedstock and it comes out as at least a "good" Vodka is kinda proof in itself.
The names held up because there are no official TTB meanings assigned to the words. It’s not like “straight” or “bourbon”. More like small batch (which literally means nothing). Jack Daniels could put “small batch craft whiskey handmade in Tennessee” if they wanted. But they don’t, because they have SOME integrity 

Regarding quakify.... Not really... MGP is notorious for releasing some fantastic bourbon and rye stock from time to time. They’re not bad at what they do... it’s just not craft.

To my knowledge I’m unaware Tito’s does any more than a single pass through their pot stills. I could be wrong but I’ve yet to see evidence to the contrary. It seems that IF they WERE putting actual work into the product they would have been more clear about their process, given how many folks are calling them on their bull####. 

But no, they don’t talk about their process because they know it would crush the illusion they’ve built up via marketing. 

The names held up because there are no official TTB meanings assigned to the words. It’s not like “straight” or “bourbon”. More like small batch (which literally means nothing). Jack Daniels could put “small batch craft whiskey handmade in Tennessee” if they wanted. But they don’t, because they have SOME integrity 

Regarding quakify.... Not really... MGP is notorious for releasing some fantastic bourbon and rye stock from time to time. They’re not bad at what they do... it’s just not craft.

To my knowledge I’m unaware Tito’s does any more than a single pass through their pot stills. I could be wrong but I’ve yet to see evidence to the contrary. It seems that IF they WERE putting actual work into the product they would have been more clear about their process, given how many folks are calling them on their bull####. 

But no, they don’t talk about their process because they know it would crush the illusion they’ve built up via marketing. 
He's been very direct on many occasions that it is distilled 6 times.  And with an unaged spirit like Vodka the distillation probably has the most impact on flavor.  So it isn't much of a stretch to think that distilling an NGS product could result in good Vodka.

I don't get upset with Aaron Franklin because he doesn't butcher his own beef.  I understand that he is the finisher of the product I buy.  Just like Tito's and many other distillers across the US.  In fact, I think the Bourbon guys buying MGP are being much more disingenuous than Tito. Most of them don't even own stills.  They just age somebody else's product in barrels. But, even then, some do it well.

Somebody gave me a fish tank with a brand new filter. Should I let all my vodka run through that a couple times?

My wife and I were at a party and the host decided to have a blind taste test of vodka.  He only had three types.  Ketel One, Skyy,and Costco's Kirkland brand.

Kirkland (got my vote) won overwhelmingly and Ketel One came in second.  This was just over a year ago so I made the switch to Kirkland vodka.  It is distilled six times and it costs only $13.99 for a 1.75 bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread