What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derrick Henry: The greatest wasted fantasy performance in history? (1 Viewer)

Are you saying someone like Lewis should be on the bench?  He brings a LOT to the passing game.
I guess what I'm saying is that I hate the Tenn offense and their coaches. Henry can do some of what Dion Lewis can do but Dion Lewis can't do what Henry did last night. I know I'd like to see what Henry can do without Lewis.

Henry can catch. I think he had a couple of long TD receptions last year and had a good playoff run receiving last year. He's also better at pass protection. I just think some coaches have huge egos and try to stuff a square peg in a round hole instead of building systems around the talent of their players. Two coaching regimes not committing to Henry makes me think there is something that I'm not seeing, but that is why I think the coaches look dumb after a performance like that. Anyone with eyes can see that the talent is there. Size and speed freak. The fact that he is unique seems to work against him in a copy cat league.

By having a guy like Lewis, it telegraphs run plays for Henry. Tenn also seems to like to run Henry up the gut instead of getting him wide where he is more effective.

Henry in Baltimore would be sick. Gus Edwards is averaging 20 carries a game and 5.2 a carry since being named the starter. As a fan of football, I would love to see a team commit to Henry like that.

Mike Anderson said:
Henry is a dog when the Titians are an underdog, and a stud when the Titians are favored.  Run the numbers.
That makes no sense  since the only game he's been a stud all year before this one was the game they heavy underdogs.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hate the Tenn offense and their coaches. Henry can do some of what Dion Lewis can do but Dion Lewis can't do what Henry did last night. I know I'd like to see what Henry can do without Lewis.

Henry can catch. I think he had a couple of long TD receptions last year and had a good playoff run receiving last year. He's also better at pass protection. I just think some coaches have huge egos and try to stuff a square peg in a round hole instead of building systems around the talent of their players. Two coaching regimes not committing to Henry makes me think there is something that I'm not seeing, but that is why I think the coaches look dumb after a performance like that. Anyone with eyes can see that the talent is there. Size and speed freak. The fact that he is unique seems to work against him in a copy cat league.

By having a guy like Lewis, it telegraphs run plays for Henry. Tenn also seems to like to run Henry up the gut instead of getting him wide where he is more effective.

Henry in Baltimore would be sick. Gus Edwards is averaging 20 carries a game and 5.2 a carry since being named the starter. As a fan of football, I would love to see a team commit to Henry like that.
He had 1 for 66 yards in week 16 last year that he took to the house against... Jacksonville. That's the only receiving TD he's had in his 3 year career including 2 games in the playoffs. He's caught 13, 11 and 12 reception's (so far this year). He caught 1, 5 & 10 receptions each year total in college. Maybe he's not being used right but so far he's been as close to a zero in the passing game as you can get for a RB.

Yesterday he hit waivers in my public league, that person has to be feeling it right about now. 

I know a guy that had to face him last night in a game to make the playoffs. I believe he is getting wasted right now.

He had 1 for 66 yards in week 16 last year that he took to the house against... Jacksonville. That's the only receiving TD he's had in his 3 year career including 2 games in the playoffs. He's caught 13, 11 and 12 reception's (so far this year). He caught 1, 5 & 10 receptions each year total in college. Maybe he's not being used right but so far he's been as close to a zero in the passing game as you can get for a RB.
In two playoff games last year he was targeted 6 times for 5 rec, 56 yards. No one would confuse him with Alvin Kamara but he can catch. 

GroveDiesel said:
2017:

Week 1- Favored-2.5 points

Week 2- Favored-15.2 points

Week 3- Favored-6.4 points

Week 4- Favored-0.7 points

Week 5- Favored-0.9 points

Week 6-Favored-20.5 points

Week 7-Favored-2.4 points

Week 9-Favored-9.6 points

Week 10-Favored-5.2 points

Week 11-Dog-3.2 points

Week 12- Favored-8.9 points

Week 13- Favored-16.9 points

Week 14- Favored-8.0 points

Week 15- Dogs-2.0 points

Week 16- Dogs-3.1 points

Week 17- Favored-17.7 points

Between this and what rockaction posted for 2018, I think we can come to 2 conclusions:

1) There is actually no correlation between the Titans being favored and Henry "going off" and

2) The Titans were favored WAY too often last year.
Mike meant when the Titans were favored at home, on Thursday night, while wearing blue helmets.  Don't believe me...run the numbers.

I cut him in my 4-8 keeper league a few weeks ago to pickup Courtland Sutton, right after DEN traded DT.  At the time Lewis was getting over 70% of the work, and Henry looked like garbage.

Oops.   At least Sutton has a lot of potential, and I have good RB keepers already (CMC, Fournette, Cohen).   I could have at least used Henry in a 2 for 1 trade to upgrade one of my keepers.

That said, it was clear that JAX mailed it in.  That was a pathetic display of defense last night.

Good luck to all starting Henry next week.  Hope you don't get a 15 carry, 40 yard, 0 TD performance when it matters.

Mike meant when the Titans were favored at home, on Thursday night, while wearing blue helmets.  Don't believe me...run the numbers.
I just ran the numbers. He's averaging almost 240 yards rushing and 4 TDs in games where that happens. The Original Dynasty Expert is on to something here!

Random observation I made.

Derrick Henry won the Heisman trophy and in term of fantasy output the best game of his college career would have been 39 fantasy points, in any format, since he had no catches.

This is a nutty game we play sometimes when a guy who has not run for over 60 yards in a game this year is up against what many thought was the most talented defense in the NFL entering the season and he proceeds to have a game better then he did when was throwing up huge stats and winning the Heisman.

Boldin's first game most sites had him listed as a TE (which became a HUGE advantage over the season). Virtually nobody had him rostered. He was virtually unknown heading into the season.
I don’t think that’s true. I was playing FF back then, and I’m a big Cardinals/Boldin fan, and I don’t ever remember him being listed as a TE. And he was a second round pick of the cards and shined in camp. He wasn’t an unknown.

I don’t think that’s true. I was playing FF back then, and I’m a big Cardinals/Boldin fan, and I don’t ever remember him being listed as a TE. And he was a second round pick of the cards and shined in camp. He wasn’t an unknown.
I also don't recall him being listed as a TE and while not an unknown that was in an era when rookie WR's usually rode the bench.

But while he was known Grove is right , he was not rostered in almost any league, at least leagues I was playing. I remember this because I was playing WCOFF at the time and was in Vegas watching the game with 50+ other FF junkies and the big discussion people were having was how much where they going to bid on him in waivers next week.

Some of us bought Henry for peanuts during the year and started Henry vs Jacksonville because he usually does well against them. Henry's performance was definitely not wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread