What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (2 Viewers)

domvin said:
This team is decimated in free agency, and they have no first rounder.    Surprised if they take a rb in 2nd or 3rd
They are forcing themselves to shed even reasonable salaries now. They save $3.75Mil by releasing Clay Mathews who had  8 sacks in 13 games. That's a pace of almost 10 sacks on a 16 game season. Where are they going to find sack numbers like that for $3mil or less? I'm sure there are some other cuts/trades they will be forced to make before the season.

It makes you wonder if the Rams are starting a full rebuild.... 14 months removed from a Super Bowl appearance. If it truly is a full rebuild I would say that's probably a good thing for Henderson. They are creating so many more holes just by cutting Gurley that you would think they would wait on RB until they thought they were playoff contenders again? This move is right up there with the Bill O'Brien decision(s) imo. I was wrong and never would have guessed they would voluntarily hamstring themselves like this all so Kroenke can safe a few "real dollars". How much did that stadium cost again?

They knew that Gurley would most likely be gone though 
You might be right but this seems to go along with the line of thought I've seen expressed here by some that they took Henderson with 2020 in mind. I don't share that opinion.

RB is just not a developmental position and one of the huge values of drafting them round 2 or later is the cheap labor you get for 4 years. I don't think they traded up to develop him for a year and throw away a year of cheap labor.

My opinion is they were not sure how Gurley's knee would respond heading into last year but wanted to reduce his workload and wanted Henderson to help reduce that workload in 2019. Gurley's knee did not seem to respond so great to the reduced workload but Henderson did not seem up to the task either, could not supplant Malcolm Brown.

I'm not throwing dirt on Henderson. If you own him, and I do just once(drafted him twice), you should feel excited about his opportunity. But personally I think he was a letdown to the Rams team last year and I'm more in the camp that thinks this is a great time to sell high on Henderson if you can. Which I'm trying to do the last place I own him but to be fair the team makes that an easier decision, loaded at RB and need some WR help.

It makes you wonder if the Rams are starting a full rebuild.... 14 months removed from a Super Bowl appearance.
Hard for me to feel that way when they are making trades like they did for Jalen Ramsey . And you might say well things changes but they did not play really any worse or better pre or post Jalen Ramsey trade to indicate that, not by record or to my eye.

I'll believe they are in full rebuild mode when I start hearing rumors they are out hawking Jalen Ramsey.

Hard for me to feel that way when they are making trades like they did for Jalen Ramsey . And you might say well things changes but they did not play really any worse or better pre or post Jalen Ramsey trade to indicate that, not by record or to my eye.

I'll believe they are in full rebuild mode when I start hearing rumors they are out hawking Jalen Ramsey.
They should have not traded for Ramsey, even at the time they did, they were struggling and playoffs were remote.    Rams need to reboot.    Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Ramsey, and Donald all need to be traded off

They should have not traded for Ramsey, even at the time they did, they were struggling and playoffs were remote.    Rams need to reboot.    Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Ramsey, and Donald all need to be traded off
Horrible trade considering their cap situation. Cheapest labor in the league is draft pick labor and they gave up two pieces of cheap labor and now have to figure out how to extend Ramsey with Kupp also coming due.

Is McVay's ego getting in the way of common sense here? I'm not even judging. Quick success, SB appearance and his wife would make it hard for me to fit my head in some doors.

I responded earlier to say I did not think they were rebuilding but I don't disagree that they should and I'd start by calling every CB needy team letting it be known Jalen Ramsey is available.

Goff counts 94 mil in dead cap if they were to release him. hes one year into his deal. they aren't going to rework that deal... it's next to impossible to rework 
That's not true at all.  It's very easy to turn $30M of roster bonus/salary into a $1M salary with $29M signing bonus.  The $29M can be spread over 5 years resulting in a $6M number this year, pushing the other $24M into future years.  Boom, $24M freed up for 2020.  Yes, this kicks the can down the road, and it will eventually come due, but that's Future Ted's problem (and in years with potentially much larger salary caps to bury it in).

That's not true at all.  It's very easy to turn $30M of roster bonus/salary into a $1M salary with $29M signing bonus.  The $29M can be spread over 5 years resulting in a $6M number this year, pushing the other $24M into future years.  Boom, $24M freed up for 2020.  Yes, this kicks the can down the road, and it will eventually come due, but that's Future Ted's problem (and in years with potentially much larger salary caps to bury it in).
What you say is true in terms of how you pull off a restructure but per OTC Goff's base salary is only $10M in 2020. I assume league minimum is probably around $1M give or take so that only gives you $9M or so to spread out over 5 years. Next year his base jumps to $25M so a lot more to play with but this year I think the best they can do is free up somewhere in $7-8M ballpark.

Aaron Donald's base is $17M and unlike Goff he's actually a stud I'd feel comfortable paying for a few years. Trading him would help a rebuild but cap acceleration is to much and no indication yet the Rams are trying to rebuild. So to me he's the best candidate they have to work with to do this type of restructure this year.

What you say is true in terms of how you pull off a restructure but per OTC Goff's base salary is only $10M in 2020. I assume league minimum is probably around $1M give or take so that only gives you $9M or so to spread out over 5 years. Next year his base jumps to $25M so a lot more to play with but this year I think the best they can do is free up somewhere in $7-8M ballpark.

Aaron Donald's base is $17M and unlike Goff he's actually a stud I'd feel comfortable paying for a few years. Trading him would help a rebuild but cap acceleration is to much and no indication yet the Rams are trying to rebuild. So to me he's the best candidate they have to work with to do this type of restructure this year.
He has/had a roster bonus of $21M.  No clue if it's been paid or not, I was focused on the "how it would be possible" part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously this helps Henderson but Brown will probably get half the carries.  The way the Rams use their RBs isn't conducive to great fantasy value for RBs IMO.  I hate their coach for that very reason.

Since the facilities are closed just wonder if that will have any effect on Henderson’s rehab from his ankle surgery. 

DARRELL HENDERSON RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams GM Les Snead said the offense wants to "utilize more than one workhorse moving the ball, with different skill sets."

The Rams leaned heavily on Todd Gurley throughout much of the first three seasons under coach Sean McVay, but it sounds like a different approach will be taken moving forward.  Darrell Henderson is widely viewed as the heir apparent in the L.A. backfield, but Malcolm Brown should also see the field quite a bit unless the Rams use another pick on a running back.  Henderson was taken 70th overall last April but posted a miserable 39-147-0 rushing line as a rookie.  The Rams' high-octane offense can support two backs when it comes to fantasy, but the offensive line and Jared Goff have to play better in 2020.

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Greg Beacham on Twitter

Apr 6, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

Not sure what to do with this guy. I guess 'hold' is the correct answer, at least until we see what happens in the draft. I this nagging feeling that the Rams don't think much of him though (despite using reasonable draft capital on him last year).

(thehuddle) Los Angeles Rams RB Darrell Henderson wasn't able to contribute much as a rookie in 2019, but a pair of his teammates were not shy about their feeling about his potential. OT Andrew Whitworth said Anderson displayed elements of 'lightning in a bottle,' while QB Jared Goff described him as 'a special talent.' 'He's got the ability to be, I think, as time goes on, a top guy. We're going to have to wait and see, but he's got everything you want.' Goff said.

(thehuddle) Los Angeles Rams RB Darrell Henderson wasn't able to contribute much as a rookie in 2019, but a pair of his teammates were not shy about their feeling about his potential. OT Andrew Whitworth said Anderson displayed elements of 'lightning in a bottle,' while QB Jared Goff described him as 'a special talent.' 'He's got the ability to be, I think, as time goes on, a top guy. We're going to have to wait and see, but he's got everything you want.' Goff said.
Not exactly a confident endorsement. What is he suppose to say, “that guy Henderson or Anderson, whatever his name is, he is awful and probably won’t amount to much of anything.” 

I see Henderson contributing more this year but would be surprised to see him take the largest percentage of touches in a committee. I think that they will add someone in the draft at some point to the stable.

To the bolded 😳.

Definitely not a ringing endorsement if he doesn't even know the RBs name he is talking about.  

Amazing how people are trying to psychoanalyze this paragraph as a negative. they can't even figure out the name is a typo. If they do draft someone to share touches, it will still be Henderson as 1A. Of course we will have to wait and see. You mean one of his OL isn't crowning him in April? Weird.

Amazing how people are trying to psychoanalyze this paragraph as a negative. they can't even figure out the name is a typo. If they do draft someone to share touches, it will still be Henderson as 1A. Of course we will have to wait and see. You mean one of his OL isn't crowning him in April? Weird.
How do you know if he will be 1A...if they get someone like Dobbins in the second I would definitely prefer him.

It was my stab at humor more than anything. Obviously I failed. And BTW, I don't think overanalyzing anything at this juncture is that abnormal. Neither is the fact that I am having more lengthy conversations with my dog lately. Just have a quarantinee and relax. 

How do you know if he will be 1A...if they get someone like Dobbins in the second I would definitely prefer him.
I don't *know* any of the future. I'm guessing. But that's my take. That he will be the 1A to someone much later in the draft than Dobbins. I don't see them taking a back that early.

I don't *know* any of the future. I'm guessing. But that's my take. That he will be the 1A to someone much later in the draft than Dobbins. I don't see them taking a back that early.
They do have more pressing needs that it just doesn't make sense for them to draft a back early. A decent RB rookie pool could leave some vet's looking for a team. If they don't draft anyone they will pick someone up. Hopefully Henderson improves on whatever kept him on the sidelines most of last year. Gurley being gone obviously presents the opportunity. I didn't get a chance to see much of him last year so I am not sure why he was not more involved. 

The quotes acknowledge that we haven't seen enough game production to know how good he can be, but I read it that at least Goff thinks Henderson will be the lead RB as things stand. No one is saying, 'If he beats out Brown he can be good.' I took, 'He has the ability to be a top guy' to mean top among league RBs, not top among Rams RBs? I realize we eachtend to read what we want to hear.  With all their defections and needs, though, I am thinking they will be happy to not spend an early pick on a RB and enter the year with DH and MB as 1 and 2. 

It was my stab at humor more than anything. Obviously I failed. And BTW, I don't think overanalyzing anything at this juncture is that abnormal. Neither is the fact that I am having more lengthy conversations with my dog lately. Just have a quarantinee and relax. 
All good. I didn't see any (funny) jokes or I would have responded in kind. ;)

I wasn't trying to single you out, just saw a few comments trying to paint those quotes as negative when they are quite clearly positives, even if they're mostly benign.

Yes if they draft an early back then the situation would be different. I acknowledge that.

If that is the case then I definitely agree with you but I would not be surprised (not saying it is a definite) if they go RB in the second, especially if one of those top-tier guys falls...Henderson owners have as much on the line as anyone with this draft...there are a few guys (Connor is another one)  who's value has the potential for a huge swing based on draft results.

They do have more pressing needs that it just doesn't make sense for them to draft a back early. A decent RB rookie pool could leave some vet's looking for a team. If they don't draft anyone they will pick someone up. Hopefully Henderson improves on whatever kept him on the sidelines most of last year. Gurley being gone obviously presents the opportunity. I didn't get a chance to see much of him last year so I am not sure why he was not more involved. 
Yeah I think a vet landing is much more likely.

Rams have plugged in a FA RB in the past (C.J. Anderson). I do not expect the Rams to draft an RB, but to add one via FA.  Goff needs good pass protection where a vet is probably better than any rookie. 

Devonta Freeman, Carlos Hyde, who else is out there? Someone that might get cut/traded like Breida, Lindsay or Royce Freeman? How many vet RBs that are worth a damn out there? Now that I try to make a list I'm having second thoughts. There's gotta be some decent names I'm forgetting. AP?

Brown is a very solid RB. They only picked up CJ when Brown was out hurt and cut him once Brown was back. Being in salary cap purgatory and having lost so much, unless someone they  really like falls to them at the right spot, I don't see  Henderson, Brown and probably a depth FA looking like a problem area. I feel like a biggest part of Henderson's small role last year was Gurley playing as much as he wanted to. If they had been trying to rest him, they could have safely used Brown if Henderson wasn't suitable. I think Gurley just wanted to play and they let him.

ETA: Admittedly, I am an optimistic Henderson owner.

I was a Henderson owner last year in a 10 team, 10 player keeper.  Had to reluctantly drop him for a healthy RB in our playoffs last year.  I am hoping to grab him back with the 1.6 or 1.7 that I own or that him going before that will cause another top tier rookie to fall to me.  I was always higher than most on Brown though as he was a blue chipper coming out of HS.  The talent is there with both, so could be a strong time share.

If that is the case then I definitely agree with you but I would not be surprised (not saying it is a definite) if they go RB in the second, especially if one of those top-tier guys falls...Henderson owners have as much on the line as anyone with this draft...there are a few guys (Connor is another one)  who's value has the potential for a huge swing based on draft results.
Based on team needs and having Henderson and Brown who is no slouch I would be stunned if they take a Rb in second round.

Based on team needs and having Henderson and Brown who is no slouch I would be stunned if they take a Rb in second round.
Brown has never had more then 255 yards rushing or more then 53 yards receiving in a season in his 5 year career...granted he was playing behind Gurley but not really sure that he has shown too much.  

DH well..... Looking like you need to become the second coming of Chris Thompson to have any FF value.  
Era over before it started. Thought he flashed with his burst in the very limited sample he got. I guess there's a reason it was so limited. And investing this high in RB when holes abound elsewhere confirms.

If they hang onto Everett, he's completely irrelevant for fantasy IMO for 2020 altogether.

Well there’s no way to spin this but bad for Henderson. He has a chance to hold off Akers and carve a role - but this was not an endorsement and Akers is a good back.

must be nice to have a roster so loaded that you draft a third player into rbbc with a 2nd round pick.

How many picks do the Rams have left?

must be nice to have a roster so loaded that you draft a third player into rbbc with a 2nd round pick.

How many picks do the Rams have left?
Even though we got a good player I’m not loving the pick.  OLine and LB are huge needs.  We’re up again right now @ 57 so hopefully they grab one of those right now.  Have 2 more picks in r3.  

I dunno about that. They are using up their few precious draft picks to replace Gurley and Cooks.... who they are paying huge amounts of money to NOT to play for the team. A beautiful plan comes together.
Kupp, Woods, Reynolds.....take Jefferson.

Henderson, Brown......take akers

Head scratchers man

Rams seem to have instantly regretted their decision to draft Henderson and haven't looked back.

Rams seem confused right now. Is Van Jefferson really any appreciably better than Josh Reynolds? Wow. 

Users who are viewing this thread