What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

What a cluster. This situation is giving me Deangelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart flashbacks. Unpleasant ones. Either one of those guys would have been an awesome RB1. Together? Roll dice weekly.

What a cluster. This situation is giving me Deangelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart flashbacks. Unpleasant ones. Either one of those guys would have been an awesome RB1. Together? Roll dice weekly.
I don't see what the confusion is here. I own both Akers and Henderson in re-draft. Actually traded FOR Henderson back in week 6, so I have some investment in him.

However, I put Akers in my starting line-up last night with confidence, while sending Drake to my bench (where he'll be along with Henderson next week as well).

I don't think these guys are as good as Stewart and Williams were. 

Those guys were 1st round picks. These guys are not.

Those guys were first round picks in an entirely different landscape. Would D'Angelo Williams really have merited a first-round selection today?

I personally don't think so. Nor Stewart.
I definitely think Williams would be a 1st round pick in 2021 if he was just finishing his college career right now.

Williams had 1636 yards from scrimmage and 20 TD the year they drafted Williams who also had 184 carries and 10 TD

Stewart at his best was similar to Steven Jackson but I don't think he was durable enough to be the primary RB. I think he was more 2nd round value than 1st. The split between them made it hard to evaluate either player in this way as they always had to share opportunities after that.

This was Dave Gettleman who caused this btw and I don't think he or the coaches were ever completely sold on Williams as they were using Stephen Davis as their main RB before this, and that is the style of player they wanted the offense to be built around. Thus the Stewart pick.

I might be one of DeAngelo Williams biggest fans though. I recognize most people did not appreciate his abilities as much as I do.

I definitely think Williams would be a 1st round pick in 2021 if he was just finishing his college career right now.

Williams had 1636 yards from scrimmage and 20 TD the year they drafted Williams who also had 184 carries and 10 TD

I might be one of DeAngelo Williams biggest fans though. I recognize most people did not appreciate his abilities as much as I do.
Well, it would help if I spelled his name right.

The version of Bell playing for the Jets is pretty different than Bell playing for the Steelers I think.

Since we were talking about DeAngelo Williams I think Akers is closer to that ideal than Henderson is.

I still haven't seen enough of him to try to make a comparison to another player yet.

I didn't watch that much of him in college as the lack of blocking he had made that challenging when I did. I did like some things I saw from him as a receiver.

The Rams are not using their RBs as receivers the way they used to do with Gurley. Only 4.5 targets to their top 3 RBs over 13 games this year. In 2017 for example this was 6.25 per game to RBs.

I realize most playoff teams will have much better options, but I'm pretty stuck at RB after Gibson's toe injury and I'm seriously considering plugging DH in and hoping for the best in week 15 against the Jets.   It has to be a bloodbath, right?   Even if the Rams don't pull away early, it would seem like this would be the game to mix Brown and Henderson back in and keep their new bellcow fresh for the playoffs.   Of course me trying to apply any logic to this situation will surely result in 26 carries to Akers, to Henderson's 2 in a 41-7 victory.    

I realize most playoff teams will have much better options, but I'm pretty stuck at RB after Gibson's toe injury and I'm seriously considering plugging DH in and hoping for the best in week 15 against the Jets.   It has to be a bloodbath, right?   Even if the Rams don't pull away early, it would seem like this would be the game to mix Brown and Henderson back in and keep their new bellcow fresh for the playoffs.   Of course me trying to apply any logic to this situation will surely result in 26 carries to Akers, to Henderson's 2 in a 41-7 victory.    
I guess you are hoping McVey is a bit like Frank Reich here and keeps the other Rb involved.

Akers had 79% of the snaps last week while Henderson had 11%

Good luck. I really think you need to look for other options.

Darrell Henderson rushed once for -2 yards in the Rams' Week 15 loss to the Jets, adding a five-yard reception.

Even with Cam Akers tweaking his ankle, Henderson was held to two touches for the second consecutive week. Henderson was a mid-season hero for a number of fantasy teams, but he has been put in the Akers blender when it matters most. There is no reason to hold onto Henderson in re-draft for Weeks 16 and 17. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like he is masking an injury or something.  He appeared in control of this backfield and had high grades in PFF metrics and then he hit a wall where he was putrid and lost his role.   I would guess that with full off-season and camps, Akers will be an RB1 next year and Henderson may end up elsewhere or as bench fodder.  

I feel like he is masking an injury or something.  He appeared in control of this backfield and had high grades in PFF metrics and then he hit a wall where he was putrid and lost his role.   I would guess that with full off-season and camps, Akers will be an RB1 next year and Henderson may end up elsewhere or as bench fodder.  
I think sometimes McVay is too smart for his own good.  Many games Henderson seemed to be running great, making big plays and he'd still only get a handful of touches.  I agree that his time is up in this backfield.

I guess you are hoping McVey is a bit like Frank Reich here and keeps the other Rb involved.

Akers had 79% of the snaps last week while Henderson had 11%

Good luck. I really think you need to look for other options.
Good call.   I made the right decision to pass on Singletary... until it wasn't.   Then settled  on Bowden for a pedestrian but important 7 points.   The theory was Rams will cruise, McVey will preserve his new bellcow for the playoffs when it's 21-3 late in the 2nd quarter.   Whoops.

Hopefully, there's something to the lingering injury for DH.   I'm content with the fact that Akers is their guy now and in the long-term.   As long as it's clear that DH is the lead back in the event of an Akers injury, he's definitely shown enough to justify a roster spot on my keep-18 Dynasty.   String enough talented backup RBs together and one usually turns to gold.   But if the distribution these past two weeks is an accurate depiction of how McVey values these two RBs, given his previous experience of watching Todd Gurley wear down to a nub, then I have to question whether DH would even be trusted to be the guy in a scenario where Akers goes down.   Injury would explain a lot.  If Akers is the guy and DH is healthy, I want to see a minimum of 5-7 DH carries if for no other reason than to keep some mileage off Akers.       

Good call.   I made the right decision to pass on Singletary... until it wasn't.   Then settled  on Bowden for a pedestrian but important 7 points.   The theory was Rams will cruise, McVey will preserve his new bellcow for the playoffs when it's 21-3 late in the 2nd quarter.   Whoops.

Hopefully, there's something to the lingering injury for DH.   I'm content with the fact that Akers is their guy now and in the long-term.   As long as it's clear that DH is the lead back in the event of an Akers injury, he's definitely shown enough to justify a roster spot on my keep-18 Dynasty.   String enough talented backup RBs together and one usually turns to gold.   But if the distribution these past two weeks is an accurate depiction of how McVey values these two RBs, given his previous experience of watching Todd Gurley wear down to a nub, then I have to question whether DH would even be trusted to be the guy in a scenario where Akers goes down.   Injury would explain a lot.  If Akers is the guy and DH is healthy, I want to see a minimum of 5-7 DH carries if for no other reason than to keep some mileage off Akers.       
I can't believe the Rams lost to the Jets.

Snaps for Rams RB in this game

Akers 36 61%  15 carries 63 yards 3 targets 1 reception -1 yards

Brown 16 27% 1 carry 4 yards 1 target 1 reception 6 yards

Henderson 7 12% 1 carry -2 yards 1 target 1 reception 5 yards

I don't think its clear that Henderson is the bellcow if Akers is out for some reason. Brown continues to get more snaps than him.

Going back to when the Rams traded up to pick Henderson, they said they did that because they were worried about some other team getting him and beating them with him.

Then they don't even really give him a chance to be the guy.

Turns out that Henderson didn't even fit their ZBS. Why do teams select players who do not fit their scheme??

Les Snead as GM has shown they will continue to draft RB highly and even Akers is not immune to this possibility.

2012 Isiah Pead 2nd round pick 50

2013 Zach Stacy 5th round pick 160

2014 Tre Mason 3rd round pick 75

2015 Todd Gurley 1st round pick 10

The 2nd and 3rd round picks at the position do not mean a whole lot and performing well like Stacy doesn't seem to matter much either. The team is looking for a true stud RB like Steven Jackson or Todd Gurley.

Is Akers that? Probably not.

RushHour said:
Rams should trade Henderson if they don't want/need him. What a waste of talent.
It looks like they will need him the next couple of weeks. Reports are that Cam Akers has a high ankle sprain.

RushHour said:
Rams should trade Henderson if they don't want/need him. What a waste of talent.
Funny you should say this because the main reasoning given by Snead for trading up and taking Henderson was so another team couldn't beat them with him.

I didn't think of this at the time, but this is kind of like saying they don't know how to use him in their scheme but their afraid another team will use him much better than they can imagine. So they draft him to prevent that from happening, not because of what he can do for their team.

If that's true then Snead is dumb.
Its true that he said that. Not the part about them not knowing what to do with him.

Its also true that they drafted Akers the year following their pick of Henderson.

There was a longer history of drafting RB every year with Jeff Fisher involved. I thought that Snead may have learned from that experience, but the picks they have made suggest otherwise and maybe he is going to draft RB again in 2021.

Darrell Henderson (ankle) suffered a high ankle sprain and is unlikely to play in Week 17 against Arizona. 

After seeing 12 carries for 62 yards as the No. 1 back for LA in Week 16, Henderson injured his ankle and will probably miss Week 17's must-win showdown with the Cardinals. The team will conduct more testing on his injury Monday. Cam Akers (ankle) will likely remain out, leaving Malcolm Brown as the last guy standing in the Rams' backfield. Brown, the team's primary passing down back, could see a giant workload against Arizona. He'll be a top waiver add for leagues that play in Week 17. The Rams could also be without Jared Goff after the QB suffered a thumb injury in Week 16 against Seattle. LA's injury-decimated offense won't provide much in the way of fantasy value against Arizona. 

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 11:48 AM ET

Rams placed RB Darrell Henderson on injured reserve with a high-ankle sprain. 

The Rams would need to make the NFC Championship Game for us to see Henderson again this season. It leaves the Jared Goff-less team in backfield limbo for Week 17's must-win game against the Cardinals, as Cam Akers (high-ankle sprain) is probably on the wrong side of questionable. That would default Malcolm Brown to starting duties alongside first-time starting quarterback John Wolford. Henderson took a big step forward this season after his lost rookie year, but the Rams never seemed comfortable committing to him as a true lead back. Akers was excellent in a role Henderson was merely good in. 23-year-old Henderson still flashed his expected big-play ability as both a runner and receiver. Despite Akers' presence, Henderson is an intriguing hold in Dynasty leagues. 

Dec 29, 2020, 4:05 PM ET

This might be a good time for Akers owners to lock down the Rams backfield for cheap.   At least if other DH owners feel the same as I do about this whole situation and also make trades on emotion.

Spent a late 1st on him in 2019, barely sees the field and does nothing fantasy relevant.   Flashes the elite burst on a couple of plays.

Dejected by the 2020 Rams draft, he emerges in the early season and shows well, putting up some legitimate fantasy production.   Crowded backfield, but at least we have hope and verifiable proof that the kid has serious NFL talent.  

Akers gets up to speed and is given his opportunity to show what he can do and has his breakout game.   No surprise.   The writing was on the wall from the point that Akers was drafted.    But for DH to be completely relegated to a milk carton?

Akers gets injured.   Okay kid, here's your chance to get back in there, run angry and show this team what you're made of.   Difficult matchup, but I plug him into my championship game based on the burst that made me draft him in the first place, his early season showing, and the fact that I should have an angry, fresh RB with something to prove.     Rams struggle to get anything going on offense in the first half.   Finally reels off a chunk gain up the middle to start the third.   No Brown sighting inside the redzone.  Gets an opportunity to use his acceleration to bust it out to the pylon for a 7 yard TD.   Gets caught on an an incredible pursuit by Jamal Adams.    Injures his ankle in the process.   My championship hopes dead.

I'm holding because there's no perceived value and I still believe in the talent.  I also think there's a chance that Malcolm Brown leaves and a lesser or non-existent third wheel takes his place.   Deep bench league and I like loading up on talented backup RBs and waiting for the S to hit the fan, but man alive, you can't go down to injury as soon as those opportunities come around.   I think there will be a lot of DH owners out there who have run out of patience.   Unless your bench doesn't have room for talented handcuffs, I don't know why you wouldn't kick the tires on this guy.

I'm still into him as a prospect. He's behind Akers but that's going to be a great offense and pass catching is Henderson's specialty. He's still a weapon that will demand touches.

I comped him coming out very similar to DeAngelo Williams and I think his career arc will be similar. He's too explosive not to be active and I can even see situations where he's given the hot hand. You'd have to imagine if the Rams are playing catchup or running the 2 / 4 minute drill, Henderson the pass catching back is in the game, yeah?

All thoughts appreciated.

I'm still into him as a prospect. He's behind Akers but that's going to be a great offense and pass catching is Henderson's specialty. He's still a weapon that will demand touches.

I comped him coming out very similar to DeAngelo Williams and I think his career arc will be similar. He's too explosive not to be active and I can even see situations where he's given the hot hand. You'd have to imagine if the Rams are playing catchup or running the 2 / 4 minute drill, Henderson the pass catching back is in the game, yeah?

All thoughts appreciated.
I like Henderson a lot but comparing him to DeW is going too far. I dont think he is that good. Of course DeAngelo Williams one of my favorite players off all time so of course I would feel this way.

One of the things I think Henderson does really well is run WR skill level routes and its criminal to me that the Rams have not used him more than they have as a receiver. What a waste.

I'm still a big fan.   I think fantasy teams should be kicking the tires on him as a buy low.  With no Malcolm Brown replacement coming in, he's truly one of the better handcuffs that you can own.   Has some degree of "league winning" potential if Akers goes down. 
I'm not selling for this reason. He's a good speculative buy in start up's right now. 

I'm still a big fan.   I think fantasy teams should be kicking the tires on him as a buy low.  With no Malcolm Brown replacement coming in, he's truly one of the better handcuffs that you can own.   Has some degree of "league winning" potential if Akers goes down. 
Is he strictly a handcuff? I think he could potentially have flex capability even with Akers healthy. Thought he looked pretty good last year. What's his upside in touches per game with Akers starting? I'd guess 12ish but that's not really based on anything tangible. 

Not ideal, but I think you can throw him in as a spot start and hope for the best if you're forced to.   But it was painful trying to figure out what McVay would do from week-to-week before the Akers breakout.   If there's no credible 3rd RB (not sure if this is truly the case when the season starts), it will be a lot easier.   I don't think it makes any sense to run Akers into the ground and not get DH at least 7-9 touches every game.   From what I can make of McVay, expect the outcome that makes no sense.

This. 

He definitely has a ton of talent. He didn't look the same post-injury last year (no question Akers looked much better). I think they should split carries more between him and Akers to keep both healthy but Akers did rise to the occasion when given the load.

I don't think Henderson will ever be capable of being a long-term bell cow but agree he can be a league winner if forced to be.

They have a RB on the roster that scored 45 rushing, 3 receiving, and 2 passing TDs in college. Xavier Jones

Fun fact: the 48 rushing/receiving TDs equals former Ram Eric Dickerson's college team record.
Wow. I usually am up on things and watch all the RB highlights, but I'm not sure how I missed this guy. He pops. Last year, huh?

Wow. I usually am up on things and watch all the RB highlights, but I'm not sure how I missed this guy. He pops. Last year, huh?
This whole COVID thing, you may have heard about it. Kinda made the news... ;)

Bleeped up the whole off-season process last year.

Rams kept him as the 4th RB on the active roster - they didn't want another team to pluck him off the Practice Squad. Only got special teams play though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole COVID thing, you may have heard about it. Kinda made the news... ;)

Bleeped up the whole off-season process last year.
I know, I know. But I thought I was even up on it last year. I pulled Robinson before they cut Fournette because of his highlights, especially of him at the Shrine Game. Guess this cat just slipped right on by. He didn't get a pro day nor did he get an invite to the combine, which they had in 2020 (the year of Swift, Akers, Taylor). He got nothing, though, and that wasn't because of COVID. He was overlooked. The draft was screwy because of COVID last year, the process up to the draft was screwy this year. It was this year the combine was cancelled. But that's not by way of disagreement, that's just clarification for the reader.

The more important thing is him, though. Good size. 5'11", 210 or so. Looks like really good speed. Just moves and pops off of the screen. Too bad he's behind Akers and Henderson. When Aaron Donald says you're impressing him, that's big-time stuff.

I know, I know. But I thought I was even up on it last year. I pulled Robinson before they cut Fournette because of his highlights, especially of him at the Shrine Game. Guess this cat just slipped right on by. He didn't get a pro day nor did he get an invite to the combine, which they had in 2020 (the year of Swift, Akers, Taylor). He got nothing, though, and that wasn't because of COVID. He was overlooked. The draft was screwy because of COVID last year, the process up to the draft was screwy this year. It was this year the combine was cancelled. But that's not by way of disagreement, that's just clarification for the reader.

The more important thing is him, though. Good size. 5'11", 210 or so. Looks like really good speed. Just moves and pops off of the screen. Too bad he's behind Akers and Henderson. When Aaron Donald says you're impressing him, that's big-time stuff.
Agreed about the pre-draft process.

Post-draft OTAs, learning via Zoom meetings, lack of team practices, Pre-season games - all jacked up for the most part. Didn't get to see a lot of prospects take a snap. He still made the team even without all that.

They have a RB on the roster that scored 45 rushing, 3 receiving, and 2 passing TDs in college. Xavier Jones

Fun fact: the 48 rushing/receiving TDs equals former Ram Eric Dickerson's college team record.

Yeah, this caught my attention too.  Looks good, will definitely check him out (I've got Akers and Henderson).

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Cam Akers suffered a torn Achilles' tendon while training.

Akers will miss the entirety of the 2021 season while recovering from the injury. The news is devastating for Akers, who was poised for a breakout campaign in his second year as a pro. Akers finished his rookie season on a hot streak and Sean McVay had nothing but praise for him this offseason. Darrell Henderson will take on an expanded role with Akers out but the Rams will almost certainly be looking for a veteran to bring in as well. Le'Veon Bell, Adrian Peterson, and Duke Johnson headline the notable free agents still available. With Henderson owning an impressive receiving skill set, Peterson or Bell make more sense for the Rams' needs than Johnson. Even with the threat of a veteran looming, Henderson's projected role within an ascending offense locks him into RB2 numbers and gives him an outside chance of posting an RB1 season.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 20, 2021, 10:37 AM ET

Fantasy Reaction: Los Angeles Rams running back Cam Akers tears Achilles, lost for 2021 NFL season

Excerpts:

DARRELL HENDERSON SEASON

Darrell Henderson should slip right into the starting role and will likely play every down. Henderson, Akers and Malcolm Brown shared the backfield in 2020, but Brown departed for Miami in the offseason.  

Henderson was the highest-graded running back in the NFL through the first eight weeks of the 2020 season. This included PFF grades above 78.0 in rushing, receiving and pass blocking. The Rams still used a rotation at the position despite Henderson's strong play, but he is clearly capable of doing everything an every-down back needs to do. 

Henderson was particularly efficient at converting his carries into first downs or touchdowns. He was the only running back to do so on over a third of his carries. Henderson also turned half of his targets into first downs.

Injuries opened the door for Akers to take on a bigger role once the rookie himself returned from an early-season injury. Henderson dealt with a thigh injury followed by a quadricep issue that derailed the rest of his season. 

Henderson is now projected to score the 16th-most fantasy points among running backs.

VERDICT

Henderson won’t have the same fantasy hype as Akers because he’s coming off an injury, but the opportunity will be there for the former third-rounder as long as he’s healthy. 

Henderson should be a second-round pick in both PPR and non-PPR formats as long as he sits atop the depth chart. The addition of a primary backup won't change his value. 

Users who are viewing this thread