What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

There's a big caveat with Henderson in that his official 40 time (4.53) doesn't match up at all with his other-worldly 10- and 20-yard splits (1.42 and 2.48).  Either the former is too slow, the latter two are too fast, or he's just really really weird physiologically.

But if you take those times at face value, Henderson looks a TON like MJD, except football faster (i.e. Henderson's faster 10- and 20- more than offset MJD's faster 40-) and two inches taller.  The two inches taller isn't irrelevant as it let MJD pack a bigger punch (which seems to be missing from Henderson), but it's still a nice build overall.  He's not small.  And obviously his college career has some nice parallels with MJD's in terms of success in the passing game and breakaway plays.

But he's basically being valued as a COP back, so seems like great value to me (until his value starts to rise at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking him at 1.8 today because I cant risk he doesn't fall to my next pick at 2.2. 
I'm in a close to similar spot, sitting on 1.7 and 2.3 and I own Gurley on this team so an extra bonus for wanting him.

I'm in several dynasty leagues and what to do with that pick 7 has absolutely dominated my thought process over possibly the other leagues drafts combined. It's FFPC format and most drafts I've seen it's close to a top 6 consensus, my same top 6 players I have in an upper tier and Henderson is not one of those top 6. Should someone leave one of those consensus top 6 and I'm staring at one of them and Henderson I'm not sure what I'm going to do, would be an easy choice if I did not own Gurley, I'd take one of my top 6 no questions asked.  At this point leaning staying true to my rankings and passing on Henderson at 7 even with owning Gurley and then proceeding to try everything I can to trade up from 2.3 until someone removes him from consideration.

The only thing I know for sure if those top 6 go I will pick him at 7.

I did 3 drafts this past weekend and he went 8(to someone who is my draft I referenced above), 10 and 13.  The first two drafts were FFPC format.

I'm in a close to similar spot, sitting on 1.7 and 2.3 and I own Gurley on this team so an extra bonus for wanting him.

I'm in several dynasty leagues and what to do with that pick 7 has absolutely dominated my thought process over possibly the other leagues drafts combined. It's FFPC format and most drafts I've seen it's close to a top 6 consensus, my same top 6 players I have in an upper tier and Henderson is not one of those top 6. Should someone leave one of those consensus top 6 and I'm staring at one of them and Henderson I'm not sure what I'm going to do, would be an easy choice if I did not own Gurley, I'd take one of my top 6 no questions asked.  At this point leaning staying true to my rankings and passing on Henderson at 7 even with owning Gurley and then proceeding to try everything I can to trade up from 2.3 until someone removes him from consideration.

I did 3 drafts this past weekend and he went 8(to someone who is my draft I referenced above), 10 and 13.  The first two drafts were FFPC format.
I don't have Gurley but in 2 years he could very easily be the best Rb in this draft in that offense.  

In my Gurley league I passed him at 7 and he went 12 (PPR).  I was surprisingly at peace with that, but I did get Devin Smith, an IDP stud and sticking to my board is my #1 rule.  I can always overpay for Henderson if I really need to, but I will probably try to trade him - now, to the Henderson owner who might also be inclined to pony up to pair them up. 

Think he's more like Chris Johnson than most of the comparisons named. Just more compact and not as fast. Both are very north-south in their running style, reliant more on speed than crazy jukes or power. However, Henderson is merely very fast whereas Chris Johnson was freakishly so.

MJD was more agile and much more compact/powerful. I actually ran at a track meet with him in high school (not in the same event). He is a very odd-looking human in person. Very short, but with massive legs like the Incredible Hulk. His power was easy to underestimate when he was a draft prospect. At the time he was seen as a gadget/scatback type because he's so short that his total weight doesn't seem high. The conventional wisdom was that he was undersized for a three down role. However, he's actually on the extreme high end of the BMI scale for a pro RB. In hindsight, it's clear to see that he was a special talent since he combined rare power with rare speed and joystick moves in the open field.

It's a small sample size, but there's some evidence that the NFL undervalues very short RBs (below 5'8") in the draft process. MJD, Sproles, and Dion Lewis were severely underdrafted. Branden Oliver should have been selected at some point. I think it's because the concept of "ideal size" depends too much on weight, and not enough on weight relative to height. People like Sproles, MJD, Lewis, Westbrook, and Ray Rice had very prototypical RB builds in terms of body proportions, they were just scaled down a few inches and consequently a few pounds from people like Barkley and Elliott.

Henderson has the same type of build as Rice or Westbrook on paper, but his play style shows less power and is more about gliding with north-south with speed and acceleration. He's less of a juker and more of a sprinter. His body is different, but in terms of function on the field I see him as more in the tradition of Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson. However, he doesn't quite have the outright speed of those guys.

Ultimately, he's a tough one for me to peg. He doesn't fit the style of RB that I usually draft. On the other hand, his big play stats from college were insane and his speed over the first 10-15 yards can gash teams. I think he has a higher ceiling than Montgomery and Harris, but I don't think he's a top tier prospect. Right now I have him at about the #10 rookie in this class, but this talk does have me wondering if I should bump him 2-3 spots.

In a league where I had the 1.01, I ended up moving it for Gurley + the 1.08 with the intention of getting Henderson. The guy at 1.12 ended up offering me 1.12 + 2.03 for 1.08 and my 3rd and 4th, so I happily moved back and grabbed Henderson at 1.12. Fingers crossed.

I didn't draft him anywhere, and he was never on my board even in the mid-/late-2nd rounds when I had picks and he was available.

I see this class as pretty much bereft of RB talent beyond Jacobs, Montgomery and Sanders.  After that, everyone is a complete crapshoot and way lower than any of the top-10 RBs from last year.  I was much happier picking from the relatively deep WR class with those picks because I felt like they have a much higher chance of success.

In a league where I had the 1.01, I ended up moving it for Gurley + the 1.08 with the intention of getting Henderson. The guy at 1.12 ended up offering me 1.12 + 2.03 for 1.08 and my 3rd and 4th, so I happily moved back and grabbed Henderson at 1.12. Fingers crossed.
So you traded 1.01 for Gurley, Henderson, and 2.03.  Someone needs to be shot, and it isn't you.

Ratbone said:
I'm taking him at 1.8 today because I cant risk he doesn't fall to my next pick at 2.2. 
He was available at my 1.10 pick...  but went Debo ... I need WR over RB and I am collecting picks for next year too (2 x 1st & 2 x 2nd)

So you traded 1.01 for Gurley, Henderson, and 2.03.  Someone needs to be shot, and it isn't you.
Haha thanks, but it wasn't as good as I laid out, that was pairing it down more than a bit. It happened over several trades with a team I'm just taking over this season. I lost some solid WR depth (Boyd, Lockett) and my 2020 1st over the various deals, but I've now got the entire Rams backfield locked down (Gurley, Henderson, Brown, even Kelly) to go with Christian McCaffrey and Joe Mixon. I'll need some of the speculative WRs I got back to pan out or else I'll be very weak at WR behind JuJu and Calvin Ridley. Will likely try to move one of Russell Wilson/Goff/Jimmy G to improve that before the fall, but QBs tend to be hard to move in my experience.

Think he's more like Chris Johnson than most of the comparisons named. Just more compact and not as fast. Both are very north-south in their running style, reliant more on speed than crazy jukes or power. However, Henderson is merely very fast whereas Chris Johnson was freakishly so.

MJD was more agile and much more compact/powerful. I actually ran at a track meet with him in high school (not in the same event). He is a very odd-looking human in person. Very short, but with massive legs like the Incredible Hulk. His power was easy to underestimate when he was a draft prospect. At the time he was seen as a gadget/scatback type because he's so short that his total weight doesn't seem high. The conventional wisdom was that he was undersized for a three down role. However, he's actually on the extreme high end of the BMI scale for a pro RB. In hindsight, it's clear to see that he was a special talent since he combined rare power with rare speed and joystick moves in the open field.

It's a small sample size, but there's some evidence that the NFL undervalues very short RBs (below 5'8") in the draft process. MJD, Sproles, and Dion Lewis were severely underdrafted. Branden Oliver should have been selected at some point. I think it's because the concept of "ideal size" depends too much on weight, and not enough on weight relative to height. People like Sproles, MJD, Lewis, Westbrook, and Ray Rice had very prototypical RB builds in terms of body proportions, they were just scaled down a few inches and consequently a few pounds from people like Barkley and Elliott.

Henderson has the same type of build as Rice or Westbrook on paper, but his play style shows less power and is more about gliding with north-south with speed and acceleration. He's less of a juker and more of a sprinter. His body is different, but in terms of function on the field I see him as more in the tradition of Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson. However, he doesn't quite have the outright speed of those guys.

Ultimately, he's a tough one for me to peg. He doesn't fit the style of RB that I usually draft. On the other hand, his big play stats from college were insane and his speed over the first 10-15 yards can gash teams. I think he has a higher ceiling than Montgomery and Harris, but I don't think he's a top tier prospect. Right now I have him at about the #10 rookie in this class, but this talk does have me wondering if I should bump him 2-3 spots.
What do you think of Henderson compared to Tre Mason?

IIRC you liked Mason more than me.

I think Henderson is more shifty than you might think, you just have to watch him in slow motion to see it.

Just about any backup RB is a potential league winner. CJ Anderson won me a league last year when I started him in week 16 for Gurley.
That's fair as well. I think Henderson will be a reasonable flex fantasy starter if Gurley is healthy enough to lead the split. Those other backups only became relevant when the starter was hurt. Which is more or less what we are saying about Gurley, but I think Henderson will have *some* standalone value even if Gurley is mostly ok. I don't think he'll ever be the Gurley we have seen in the past. 

What do you think of Henderson compared to Tre Mason?

IIRC you liked Mason more than me.

I think Henderson is more shifty than you might think, you just have to watch him in slow motion to see it.
Very similar body type. That comparison actually did occur to me when I was watching him today.

Style-wise, Mason was a little bit more about cuts and power.

Henderson plays faster, IMO.

Not match talk about Malcolm Brown. However, we cant ignore that the Rams matched the offer sheet the Lions gave Brown, 

It was a two-year, $3.25 million deal for Brown, who gets a $100,000 signing bonus and $1 million guaranteed. No concerns about Bown at all ?

Not match talk about Malcolm Brown. However, we cant ignore that the Rams matched the offer sheet the Lions gave Brown, 

It was a two-year, $3.25 million deal for Brown, who gets a $100,000 signing bonus and $1 million guaranteed. No concerns about Bown at all ?
are Singletary owners worried about TJ Yeldon?

Not from me, but we had discussed this earlier.

Very similar body type. That comparison actually did occur to me when I was watching him today.

Style-wise, Mason was a little bit more about cuts and power.

Henderson plays faster, IMO.
Agreed.

I'm just trying to look at it from Les Sneads perspective.

The pick seems like a replacement for Tre. Similar draft capital as well.

It may be that Snead and their scouts are looking for the same type of player they hoped they had in Mason.

This guy consistently goes in the 8th round in best ball right now. Even in the 7th I think I'd be OK with it.

Cobbler1 said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UGOkjenEt2o

Look at the adjustment he makes on the ball on the deep pass at 2:24. That flashes elite receiving skills to me. I don’t think that more than a few backs in the NFL could make that catch and he made it look natural. 35 yards down the field.
that adjustment is so hard to make and he made it look easy. He's so fluid.

Didn't you recently label Henderson "Gurley's dog walker"?
Yep. In an effort to downplay my enthusiasm before my draft as a few of my league mates frequent this forum. you can look a few posts back where I say I can stop hiding it finally. I also probably drafted him higher than anyone in this forum (6th), over David Montgomery. Put my money where my mouth is on him being my rb1 in this class. I even privately reached out to a few posters to ask if I was crazy to consider him at 1.3

I'd like to stay on topic and talk about Henderson though 

Rams GM Les Snead said third-round RB Darrell Henderson gives the team an Alvin Kamara "element."

Snead made the comparison while discussing options with head coach Sean McVay in the team's draft room. Henderson flashed big-play ability at Memphis, delivering 2,204 yards from scrimmage (1,909 rushing, 295 receiving) with 25 total touchdowns as a junior in 2018. With concerns over Todd Gurley's arthritic knee, the rookie could make for a decent late-round stash in fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Cameron DaSilva on Twitter

May 10, 2019, 2:52 PM ET

Rams GM Les Snead said third-round RB Darrell Henderson gives the team an Alvin Kamara "element."

Snead made the comparison while discussing options with head coach Sean McVay in the team's draft room. Henderson flashed big-play ability at Memphis, delivering 2,204 yards from scrimmage (1,909 rushing, 295 receiving) with 25 total touchdowns as a junior in 2018. With concerns over Todd Gurley's arthritic knee, the rookie could make for a decent late-round stash in fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Cameron DaSilva on Twitter

May 10, 2019, 2:52 PM ET
This is kind of the flavor of the month comparison being used these days, but I was going to post something yesterday saying that I could see Henderson having fantasy value the way Kamara gets his, which is by being so efficient with the touches he actually gets, that he can be fantasy relevant and still be in a rbbc. I think Aaron Jones has similar value in GB where he can be electric with the ball so even of he shares time he can be fantasy relevant. Henderson current and future far exceeds Jones, but it's the kind of impact I could see. 

I've seen him go 12, 16 and 19 so far, 16 and 19 were my picks.

edit: math is hard

:blackdot:

I own Gurley in one dynasty league and have picks 10 and 13, with next pick not until 34. The roster is strong at QB, RB, and TE, but extremely weak at WR, even before just losing Baldwin. So I am struggling to decide whether or not to consider Henderson with one of those picks or just focus on WR. Anyway, I want to make sure to follow this thread going forward.

I own Gurley in one dynasty league and have picks 10 and 13, with next pick not until 34. The roster is strong at QB, RB, and TE, but extremely weak at WR, even before just losing Baldwin. So I am struggling to decide whether or not to consider Henderson with one of those picks or just focus on WR. Anyway, I want to make sure to follow this thread going forward.
If it was me cuffing Gurley I would take Henderson at 10.

The default Rookie draft rankings come are overly swayed by NFL draft order. 

"Experts" have been making this mistake since the beginning of time and the sheep follow.

I’d take him at 10 without much thought

Users who are viewing this thread